AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-03-27, 07:26   Link #1
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Space Hulk (2013)

Official Site

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Official Site
Based on the best-selling board game and set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe, Space Hulk is a 3D digital turn based strategy game that recreates the classic claustrophobic board game experience for single player and multiplayer cross-platform play between PC, Mac and on iOS.

Space Hulk is set in the isolated corridors and tomb-like chambers of an ancient vessel lost in the graveyard of space. Players lead a small army of fearless Space Marine Terminators to battle in a ferocious fight for survival against hordes of predatory alien Genestealers.
This one kinda flew under the radar. Looks like the success of XCOM: Enemy Unknown has opened up opportunities for 3D turn-based tactics games, including what's looking to be an awesome adaptation of Space Hulk.

Rock Paper Shotgun has more here.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-27, 09:14   Link #2
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Interesting! I approve such a game.

On the other hand, I do not know if I should buy it, as I already have the boardgame (or rather... my father has the board game ). Oh well, just to see the Terminators and Genestealers duke it out animated!
Old 2013-03-27, 11:19   Link #3
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyral View Post
Interesting! I approve such a game.

On the other hand, I do not know if I should buy it, as I already have the boardgame (or rather... my father has the board game ). Oh well, just to see the Terminators and Genestealers duke it out animated!
There's also the matter of sending the message to the video game industry that strategy games (especially older turn based style strategy games) are relevant...frankly it's something that should be emphasized when you have major studio heads go around saying things like "strategy games are just not contemporary".
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-27, 19:11   Link #4
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
I'll see the above material and raise the GDC demo, courtesy of GameSpot.

So, on the subject of turn-based strategy games.. I do wonder why hex grids remain a relative rarity in the genre; among other things, they do make for more natural resolutions of cones and radii of effect. Alternatively, what if anything was wrong with removing the grid altogether, as Valkyria Chronicles did?
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-27, 23:52   Link #5
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post
So, on the subject of turn-based strategy games.. I do wonder why hex grids remain a relative rarity in the genre.
The Space Hulk boardgame -- even the re-release -- actually uses squares though, so I suppose they'd keep that aspect as well.
Old 2013-03-28, 03:07   Link #6
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Well, looks like the Bloody Magpies are the go-to chapter for videogame adaptations.

I'll admit that my only exposure to 40k has been the Dawn of War and Space Marine videogames and the Cain and Gaunt's Ghosts books, but damned if this don't look awesome.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 05:00   Link #7
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Well, looks like the Bloody Magpies are the go-to chapter for videogame adaptations.
These aren't the Bloody Magpies, they're Blood Angels. Somewhat similar color scheme, but a completely different chapter. Besides, the Blood Ravens are copyrighted by Relic, so another company using them for WH40K games wouldn't make sense.

Also, youtube of that GDC vid Firefly00 posted:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Note that there aren't any movement animations in the demo, but that they will be added for the full game.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.

Last edited by LoweGear; 2013-03-28 at 05:10.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 05:06   Link #8
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
These aren't the Bloody Magpies, they're Blood Angels. Somewhat similar color scheme, but a completely different chapter. Besides, the Blood Ravens are copyrighted by Relic, so another company using them for WH40K games wouldn't make sense.
*relooks at artwork*

*facepalms* Goddamnit.

Well, I did say I was a lore noob Hell, my reaction to Smurf chapters at the beginning was like Saori: "Aren't they all the same?"

*hastily grabs carbon nanomachine armor lining*

I believe in miracles.

Old 2013-03-28, 05:35   Link #9
Seitsuki
Onee!

Which has always bugged me, since lore wise I had thought the BAs generally weren't the type to go running around abandoned ships looking for archeotech. Especially seeing how their specialty lies in CC, which is never a terribly good idea against 'nids..
Old 2013-03-28, 06:42   Link #10
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

At one point or another in a Chapter's history, one WILL get a request to raid a Space Hulk. In this regard, the Blood Angels are as suited for a sortie as any.

The REAL stupidity comes with the background to WHY they're doing this again. *coughs* 95% of the Chapter wiped out in a previous Space Hulk attack. *coughs*
Old 2013-03-28, 10:46   Link #11
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
Which has always bugged me, since lore wise I had thought the BAs generally weren't the type to go running around abandoned ships looking for archeotech. Especially seeing how their specialty lies in CC, which is never a terribly good idea against 'nids..
Frankly, Terminator armor and power weapons seem like a really bad choice when going into space hulks against nids. What's the point of outfitting this guy with the most ludicrously effective armor and melee weapons when he's almost garunteed to be instantly killed in melee?

You'd think entire squads armed with nothing but Heavy flamers would be more effective.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 10:55   Link #12
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
At one point or another in a Chapter's history, one WILL get a request to raid a Space Hulk. In this regard, the Blood Angels are as suited for a sortie as any.

The REAL stupidity comes with the background to WHY they're doing this again. *coughs* 95% of the Chapter wiped out in a previous Space Hulk attack. *coughs*
I suppose they're the only ones left around this area to handl- wait.

What.

95% casualties to a single Space Hulk?!

I believe in miracles.

Old 2013-03-28, 11:22   Link #13
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

I have the 3rd Edition board game, which this game is based on. 600 years prior to the events of the assault on this Space Hulk, the Sin of Damnation, the Blood Angels lost 95% of the Chapter in an ill-fated assault on a Space Hulk that drifted into the Secoris system. The Chapter considers this mission a kind of chance of regaining their honor (and revenge) of sorts.

As for the standard of loadout of Terminator interdiction squads, do take note that the standard Storm Bolter + Power Fist configuration is more than enough to take care of the threats found on Space Hulk 90% of the time (mostly pirates, mutants, or orks). Plus standard power weapons can't tear up meter-wide bulkheads or other impediments.
Old 2013-03-28, 13:50   Link #14
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
The Space Hulk boardgame -- even the re-release -- actually uses squares though, so I suppose they'd keep that aspect as well.
Oh, I understand that, and will be keeping an eye on this as it develops; my question about grid choices, however, was directed at the genre in general.
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
turn-based strategy, warhammer 40k