AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Penguin Drum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-09-15, 22:12   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Penguin Drum - Character Discussion - Oginome Ringo

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Oginome Ringo related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Mawaru Penguin Drum fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2011-09-16, 15:07   Link #2
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Ringo has become a very unique character for me.

It's rare for a character to run so hot-and-cold for me like her's has.

Some episodes I absolutely love her, other episodes I can barely stand her.

On the whole, though, I think its great that MPD had a character that can have such a strong emotional effect on me like she can.

My overall take on Ringo is that she's a good person at heart, but she's deeply delusional. Episode 10, in particular, supports that I think, with how profusely apologetic and contrite she was in that episode.

I have to admit that Ringo does seem to be slowly gravitating towards a romance with Shouma. There's no doubt that Shouma has become a very important person to her. And I don't think it's one-sided either, unlike her and Tabuki.

I hope that we get to see Ringo recapture her "yandere energy", for lack of a better term, and channel that in a different and more productive direction. If so, she may become a very cool protagonist, imo.
Old 2011-09-16, 17:17   Link #3
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Kinda cute in a demented way. Now if only we could get her to consider other people, she'd be so much of a better person. Episode 10 seems to be on the right track though.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-09-16, 17:22   Link #4
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Episode 10 seems to be on the right track though.
...And the preview seems to be moving in the other direction, heh.
Old 2011-09-16, 21:08   Link #5
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
...And the preview seems to be moving in the other direction, heh.
Well previews can be misleading
Old 2011-09-16, 21:34   Link #6
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
I'm quite sure they're not going to space XD

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-09-16, 22:05   Link #7
Triple_R
*Author

Since they downplayed Shouma's injuries this episode, I think that he's going to be out of the hospital come Episode 11.

What I think will happen is that Ringo is going to re-lapse out of a sense of desperation, and Shouma is going to try to talk her out of it. This time she's probably not going to be able to brush it off so easily, as he's now the guy who might have saved her life.

I think it could be a very intense and touching scene, maybe even on the level of a Key work (Archon knows what I mean by that ).

I think we're going to see Ringo emotionally break down a bit in Episode 11. I know I've been predicting that for awhile now, but Episode 10 helps that prediction I think, in how it shows how emotionally conflicted Ringo now is (as opposed to simply being obsessed in one direction and one direction alone).

In any event, I expect Episode 11 to be a watershed moment for Ringo's character. Either its a total re-lapse into insanity and she's never coming out of it, or Shouma gets through to her for good. That's my speculation anyway.
Old 2011-09-16, 22:45   Link #8
Kyuu
=^^=

After what pansy boy, Shouma, did -- Stalker Girl needs to put out for him.

And it's nice to actually see her... becoming more sane.
Old 2011-09-16, 23:32   Link #9
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Fully expecting a comeback by psychotic Ringo next week. She's not going down without a fight. To think own nutjob be true.
Old 2011-09-17, 20:46   Link #10
Kirarakim

Okay I have been thinking of Ringo and the label of Yandere. This definitely describes her relationship with Tabuki

But wouldn't you say that she also displays classic Tsundere traits with Shouma. I mean she treats him pretty badly like she doesn't care but when he is hurt she shows she does care very much (at least as a friend, for now).

It is suddenly interesting to me that Ringo has both these characteristics.

Of course I hate to label characters and I do think there is a lot more to Ringo. Despite Ringo's negative actions from early on I couldn't help emphasizing with her seeing what her family situation is like. And I am glad Ringo was able to show her softer side in the latest episode.

I am still worried about her with what happens in the opening sequence though.
Old 2011-09-17, 20:49   Link #11
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Okay I have been thinking of Ringo and the label of Yandere. This definitely describes her relationship with Tabuki

But wouldn't you say that she also displays classic Tsundere traits with Shouma. I mean she treats him pretty badly like she doesn't care but when he is hurt she shows she does care very much (at least as a friend, for now).

Of course I hate to label characters and I do think there is a lot more to Ringo's character. Despite Ringo's negative actions from early on I couldn't help emphasizing with her seeing what her family situation is like.
Good observation. Ringo does indeed seem a bit tsundere towards Shouma.

She thankfully doesn't have that stuttering "I-It's not because I l-like you or anything!" thing going on, but other than that, yeah, pretty tsundere-esque.

A character that's yandere for one character, and tsundere for a different character, is indeed pretty interesting.
Old 2011-09-17, 21:09   Link #12
mellomarie
fullblown technicolour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post

Of course I hate to label characters and I do think there is a lot more to Ringo. Despite Ringo's negative actions from early on I couldn't help emphasizing with her seeing what her family situation is like. And I am glad Ringo was able to show her softer side in the latest episode.

I am still worried about her with what happens in the opening sequence though.
i wouldn't even consider that labelling to be honest--it shows she's multi-dimensional.

i've also picked up on how she's been treating sho. i definitely think she's been neglected/ignored quite a bit and having somebody save her life definitely skewed her self-perception.
Old 2011-09-17, 23:17   Link #13
hamstar
just passing by

this character is sort of my guilty pleasure. I can't help but lol when she gets crushed time and time again (I guess that makes me a bad person?). Also the fact that most of her prophesy sort of come true but in the most depressing/messed up ways. The best part of all is her delusional "DESTINIIIIIII" chants every now and then.

Then there is the whole mystery with her sister momoko and how she has to get with the teacher to maintain the family. This doesn't really make sense as the details haven't been revealed but then again a lot things have been kept secret from the audience.
Old 2011-09-17, 23:57   Link #14
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamstar View Post
this character is sort of my guilty pleasure. I can't help but lol when she gets crushed time and time again (I guess that makes me a bad person?). Also the fact that most of her prophesy sort of come true but in the most depressing/messed up ways. The best part of all is her delusional "DESTINIIIIIII" chants every now and then.

Then there is the whole mystery with her sister momoko and how she has to get with the teacher to maintain the family. This doesn't really make sense as the details haven't been revealed but then again a lot things have been kept secret from the audience.
If you mean the event during that bird watching session, then yes, totally agree with you there. Found her kinda funny with that short humble posture, wearing Shouma's big jeans, trying to plot through her failure in the name of destiny

I only start to like her after seeing how she acts quite reservedly and friendly along with Himari. That's when i realised: "Hmm, this girl could also be adorable when she's not haunted by that idea of fate". And then right away, she just bashed through any of her barrier blocking her way. A kind of gap mode...
Old 2011-09-18, 00:36   Link #15
hamstar
just passing by

Honestly, I can't remember the last time I've seen a girl's spirit get crushed this badly in an anime. That scene where she brings her home made curry to her Itagaki's house only to see that another woman open the door - wow that's just cruel.

Time and time again the evidence is pointing to the opposite, that she isn't meant to be with Itagaki but yet she persists in believing that destiny will bring them together. This is actually the very definition of delusional.

it seems like she probably won't end up with Itagaki. She even confessed that it was vitally important to be with him to maintain the stability of her own family and this was of primary importance next to her own family. That's to say that she does love him but these feelings are not as important as keeping her family together. This whole thing foreshadows that she will end up with someone else - probably Shouma.
Old 2011-09-18, 11:06   Link #16
Nina.Wolken
~~N/F~~

So far probably my favorite character in the anime. Love how she goes all the way to fulfill her mission. Though it's still pretty obscure why she went that far, following some highly suspicious diary instructions, she gets all my respect.

But now that she has lost said diary I wonder what will be her role in the serie. She is already close to Shouma and if the author wants to pair them together he has done a good job to make it happens but... that's it? I was hoping she would cling on the diary longer and fight for it :/.

Hopefully she gets after it and her role won't be limited to become a good and reasonable *cof*boring*cof* girl, independently to how her relation with Shouma or anyone else goes.

Last edited by Nina.Wolken; 2011-09-18 at 12:56.
Old 2011-09-18, 11:34   Link #17
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina.Wolken View Post
So far probably my favorite character in the anime. Love how she goes all the way to fulfill her mission.
Her boundless determination and never-say-die attitude would be inspirational in a different context, and I think my awareness of this is much of the reason why I tend to like Ringo on the whole.

Quote:

Hopefully she gets after it and her role won't be limited to become a good and reasonable *cof*boring*cof* girl, independently to how her relation with Shouma or anyone else.
I don't think that being good and reasonable (in some senses of the term, at least) would make her boring.

After just watching an episode of Hanasaku Iroha, it occurred to me that Ikuhara could easily turn Ringo into an Ohana-esque character if he decides to have Ringo become less delusional.

Not sure if you're watching Hanasaku Iroha or not, but for those who are, I'm curious what they think of my observation here.
Old 2011-09-18, 13:04   Link #18
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
After just watching an episode of Hanasaku Iroha, it occurred to me that Ikuhara could easily turn Ringo into an Ohana-esque character if he decides to have Ringo become less delusional.

Not sure if you're watching Hanasaku Iroha or not, but for those who are, I'm curious what they think of my observation here.
Everyone's favorite stalker girl ('cept that grump Enzo's, but he enjoys genericshonenexostuff, so insert witty remark about opinions ) will never be another Ohana.

Ringo is not happy that you dared to compare her to that cliche-ridden, moe phenomena-riding, bundle of super over-enthusiasm, gag-inducingly sweet, poster-child of a girl on a never-ending sugar-high who just needs a good spanking. That is, if Ringo cared what other people thought.

Luckily for us, Ringo doesn't, as she fearlessly plows ahead without caring about sucking up to some Otaku perversion in order to sell some panty-shot figurines down the road. Yay!

On a more serious note. I do hope Ringo doesn't end up with Sho. A girl doesn't always have to shack up with hero B to fulfill themselves you know. In fact, I'd be highly suspect of the long-term validity of any relationship borne out of the crucible of stress that I'm sure this plot will punish our protagonists through. It's very easy for individuals to gloss over their incompatibilities when under duress. Then when things calm down, viola! 60% divorce rate! ;p Can't we just be happy if she manages to loose her psychopathy by the end and move on to live a normal life where she may meet some great guy somewhere down the road in a more organic manner? :/
Old 2011-09-18, 13:23   Link #19
Kirarakim

I am a total Ringo and Shouma shipper. I think they are perfect for each other.

Shouma calms Ringo down. And did you see how Ringo took on the Penguin Queen. Shouma needs a woman like that in his life. She'll protect him. Well actually they will protect each other.

And I love both characters!

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2011-09-18 at 13:59.
Old 2011-09-18, 13:48   Link #20
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
So, like, without the delusions yet totally insane anyway?
Closed Thread

Tags
characters