Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2011-10-07, 11:42   Link #1
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Decent DVD Burner

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a decent shareware DVD burner that plays nice with MKVs and subtitles? I've found a couple that claim to, but they're kind of buggy to say the least. Thanks in advance.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 16:33   Link #2
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Been a long time since I've tried making DVDs out of anything softsubbed, but I remember that most programs for it sucked too.

If I were to try and do the same thing today, I'd probably try and use Xvid4PSP 5.37 (version 6 doesn't seem to work with a lot of stuff) to convert the original softsub into a hardsub, then make a DVD from the hardsub. Takes longer and you're losing quality through two conversions instead of one, but at least it would probably work right.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 22:01   Link #3
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Have you tried WinAVI video converter? It's pretty good. It can burn AVI, MKV and MP4 files into DVDs (with DVD main menu too). It also can convert softsubs just fine. Still, in some cases, there are MKV files that this program can't handle but that's a pretty rare occurrence (to me). So far, I'm using version 9.0 but I know there's a newer version out there. Good luck ^_^.
Old 2011-10-11, 03:03   Link #4
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Even if it can convert the subs, does it look good? There's simply no way you're going to be able to replicate most modern softsubs in the vobsub format used in DVDs... hence why I tend to favour converting to hardsub first.

Although I guess that raises an issue too, since most fansubs are intended for viewing on a computer and don't compensate for overscan.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 09:24   Link #5
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Even if it can convert the subs, does it look good?
From my personal experience converting with WinAVI, softsub looks just like when I play it on computer. But, of course the pixel is reduced as we downgrade it to vob format. The video itself looks decent. Still, the resulted picture also depends on the video source itself.

Still, WinAVI is NOT a perfect converter/burner. If you have better freeware to recommend, I'll be more than happy to use it too . Or maybe, your method to convert softsub into hardsub first is the best method?
Old 2011-10-11, 12:10   Link #6
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Thanks for the suggestions, Guys. I know I can do the two-step conversion, 0utf0xed, but I'm trying to avoid it if I can for purposes of time (which if you've seen my blogging schedule, you know is a priority!). I'll give WinAVI a try.

Edit: Looks like WinAVI is watermarked on the free version. Hmm.
Old 2011-10-11, 12:34   Link #7
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Edit: Looks like WinAVI is watermarked on the free version. Hmm.
What? Watermarked? Hmm...When I download mine (ver. 9), it is already complete with the activation code or whatever you called it in note file. After you activate it, it'll work normally. Unfortunately, I can't remember the site (it's a long time ago). Well, maybe you should look for its crack on the net. Btw, what version that you get, 11,12?
Old 2011-10-11, 13:44   Link #8
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

11.4 is the most recent on CNet.
Old 2011-10-12, 07:04   Link #9
Sides

Sorry, what are you trying to do? MKV to DVD, but keeping softsubs as softsubs/separate stream, is that right? Is it for a DVD or bluray player?
anyways have a look at multiavchd, make sure to read the tutorial. It will also do X to SD DVD conversion.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-12, 12:31   Link #10
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Sorry, what are you trying to do? MKV to DVD, but keeping softsubs as softsubs/separate stream, is that right? Is it for a DVD or bluray player?
anyways have a look at multiavchd, make sure to read the tutorial. It will also do X to SD DVD conversion.
Yep, mkv to DVD for play on a DVD/BD player with softsubs intact. I'll check that link out, thanks for the suggestion.
Old 2011-10-12, 13:12   Link #11
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
OOh, this looks quite interesting, may give it a spin.
Old 2011-10-12, 13:22   Link #12
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I've used DeVeDe on Linux and just discovered that there is a Windows build as well. Give that a try. It supports subtitle streams and navigation menus as well.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 02:31   Link #13
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Thanks, Sensei. Like the new avatar, BTW.