AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-09-03, 16:33   Link #1
Tiberium Wolf

Firefox is so annoying

I keep losing the cache every time that my system hangs/crashes. This mean that when you reset the next time you load firefox you get that msg of starting a new session or load previous pages.

Is there a way to prevent this?

BTW, I don't remember which of the options I pressed. Is it possible that the start a new session would erase the cache.

Edit: the cache dir gets empty. I don't have anything set to delete it. I want it to stay. 5GB of limit.
Old 2007-09-03, 17:04   Link #2
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Have you considered trying to uninstall and then re-install FireFox? It could be a registry problem. At any rate, here are my settings:
TakutoKun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-03, 17:24   Link #3
Tiberium Wolf

It's the same the settings.

I still remember the other day that I lost the bookmarks.

The forms, search bar and cookies doesn't seem to lose themselfs.

Oh... I'll try reinstalling tomorrow.
Old 2007-09-03, 17:25   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Like Tiberium Wolf I find that new/resume session dialog annoying, and I don't see any way to turn it off. That's the only thing in the 2.0.x series that seems a step backward from 1.5.x. I doubt reinstalling will do any good; this seems to be a "feature" of the 2.0.x version.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-03, 17:43   Link #5
strung_out

Send a message via MSN to strung_out
Yes it is a feature for Firefox 2... however it can be disabled... just type in your firefox address box "about:config" all your preferences for how you want firefox to behave can be edited there.

Now scroll down and look for "browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash" and just set it to false (set it to false by double clicking on it).

That should be it. Hope that helps you out!

Last edited by strung_out; 2007-09-03 at 17:59.
strung_out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-03, 17:51   Link #6
Tiberium Wolf

I got bored and reinstalled firefox. Now I wait till the next time the system crashes/freezes.
Old 2007-09-03, 17:57   Link #7
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

This will happen if you, for example, shut down window without closing manually firefox.
personally, i don't have any problem with this, but i have yet see a way to disable it.

might check the site, but i certainly believe it is NOT a bug, but a feature to make sure you want to get back the session you were on, if you didn't close properly firefox.
Old 2007-09-03, 17:59   Link #8
strung_out

Send a message via MSN to strung_out
uhh.. just read my post above, I described how that feature can be disabled...
strung_out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-03, 18:01   Link #9
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

haha, didn't see the edit ^^"

but geez, i was expecting this kind of feature in the usual options interface, instead of going through of this
Old 2007-09-03, 21:27   Link #10
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
I got bored and reinstalled firefox. Now I wait till the next time the system crashes/freezes.
You can always terminate the process, you know At any rate, it's a feature, not a bug... but I can't seem to find why would that be annoying to some people. It's actually kind of helpful if the browser crashes for whatever reason (something Firefox 2.5 seems quite adept to, let's hope v3.0 solves the unstabeness of the current release).

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-03, 23:34   Link #11
Tiberium Wolf

Not it's not the browser that crashes... it's the something else. Since I installed tabula rasa beta the system started to crash more. So I uninstalled it. Now the only crash/freeze is when I use dosbox in full screen. After I have played the game I come back to dosbox cmd and the I press exit. The screen goes total black with the mouse pointer only. Nothing else works. No hdd activity. Only way is press reset button. When I get back to windows firefox cache folder is totally empty.

Last edited by Tiberium Wolf; 2007-09-04 at 02:29.
Tiberium Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-03, 23:37   Link #12
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

when you shut down ur computer do u get the error XP.COM event reciever has a problem shutting down?
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-04, 02:29   Link #13
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit View Post
when you shut down ur computer do u get the error XP.COM event reciever has a problem shutting down?
Nope. Why ask?
Old 2007-09-04, 03:34   Link #14
hipeach

so the problem is not about the "restore session" box, but the losing of cache. well, I doubt disabling the "restore session" box will solve your problem, it will just lead you to a blank start screen with the cache empty. I myself have experienced this problem quite a lot, I think it has more to do with the system abnormality caused Firefox to clear the cache. Not sure of how to solve the problem, but turning off the restore session box doesn't help for me.
hipeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-04, 04:22   Link #15
Tiberium Wolf

I did say it was the losing the cache. I just don't know what is making me lose the cache. All I know is if I press the reset button coz the system freezed or somewhat, then the next time I enter windows and run firefox all cache is gone. I just pointed to the "restore session" thing coz it might have been that.

For example in this board I need the cache. Way too many sigs, avatar and image threads.
Old 2007-09-04, 04:44   Link #16
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
You can always terminate the process, you know At any rate, it's a feature, not a bug... but I can't seem to find why would that be annoying to some people.
Last I head the memory leak was a "feature" of Bon Echo too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
something Firefox 2.5 seems quite adept to, let's hope v3.0 solves the unstabeness of the current release.
I doubt Gran Paradiso's changes will fix current problems. FF has actually been plagued with crashes and the sort even before 2.x but it would appear either they are getting worse or the user base is getting even more annoyed with them.

This has been a growing trend in browsers lately.

For example, Opera 9.x is noticeably slower then Opera 8.x (thankfully they rewrote the rendering engine, and the issues are now fixed in 9.50, Kestrel's still only alpha however)

Then there's Safari, god damn that browser has to have to have some of the most annoying bugs in history. For example, in some of the latest releases, there's a bug where when you submit a form, text in textareas would get submitted as blank. And better yet, when this happens, clicking back while you can see and select the text, attempting to copy/paste it is futile.

The only browser improving in the latest releases has to be IE7. But then when you're at rock bottom you can't go anywhere but up.
Old 2007-09-04, 05:45   Link #17
Tiberium Wolf

OK... I somehow made the FF crash when I disconnected my modem. Cache all gone. Aghrr... FF crashes then all cache goes away too.
Old 2007-09-04, 07:05   Link #18
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
OK... I somehow made the FF crash when I disconnected my modem. Cache all gone. Aghrr... FF crashes then all cache goes away too.
This is weird. Have you ever considered un-installing FireFox and then trying "CCleaner" to clean out your registry? I think this might be something for you to try in order to rule out any other possible problems. Otherwise, you might have to consider Opera.

CCleaner
TakutoKun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-04, 07:54   Link #19
arcadeplayer987

I use both Opera and Firefox but I had no problem like that.This is really weird.
arcadeplayer987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-04, 08:04   Link #20
Tiberium Wolf

I did uninstall, restart, cclearner, restart, install = same.

No thx for opera. There are 2 sites I go everyday and it opera simply display it all wrong.

Tags
browsers, firefox