AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-04-18, 15:50   Link #1
Chelydra

Sins of a Solar Empire (Rebellion)

Official Description, does a better job than me.

Official site.

Sins forums

Sins of a Solar Empire is one of the most epic games I have played, it is currently broken into three separate games,(Grouped together its called Trinity) however this thread will only be dealing with SINS: Rebellion as it contains all the features of the previous games, so someone who is interested in Sins of a Solar Empire won't be spending their money buying Trinity when all its features are included in the newest game being made. (Rebellion)

This game does have a few issues (for newbies), its steep learning curve may put off some people, but I highly recommend this game to anyone who enjoys a deeper gaming experience.

One final drawback is the lack of a dedicated story line, however the manual and assets in the game do help layout a basic story.

Dedicated lore here.

Rebellion is currently in an open BETA stage, so those who preorder can get access to it. Rebellion also requires STEAM to play, so those who dislike such things won't be interested.

But having played it I can say even in BETA stage its definitely worth the money and it will be pure win once fully finished, which will be June 12 2012.
Old 2012-04-19, 05:33   Link #2
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Will there be single player campaigns this time?
Old 2012-04-19, 09:09   Link #3
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Will there be single player campaigns this time?
yeah. i like original SoaSE but i prefer to have campaign on it

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-19, 13:53   Link #4
Chelydra

No there will not be any story driven campaign this time either, though the developers have stated that its not out of the question for Sins 2 if they make it. Also they have hidden more story line info in the code of the final games for modders to find, which will give clues as to what is chasing the Vasari. They have also said though that there will be new map packs that have certain objectives in them as well, and triggers, but I don't know exactly what they mean to do yet.

And I am one of those who desperately wants a story based campaign, however the game play is so epic that its something I can overlook.

@RRW Do you have the other expansions? They are worth the money.
Old 2012-04-19, 14:16   Link #5
onzevil1

It is very interesting in it.
onzevil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-19, 20:37   Link #6
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Oh, dammit. And you'd think with the new cinematics and tempting narration there would have been a story this time. I mean, there's so much potential!
Old 2012-04-19, 20:43   Link #7
Chelydra

Yes there is great potential, one of the main reasons why there is no campaign, and this is direct from the developer, is that they "suck" at writing them. However even without a campaign this game is win, I can't say it enough. The narration video is basically the story, and they want you to fill in the rest.

This beta has already sucked over 100 hours of my life into it, and I don't want to think of the hours spent prior....
Old 2012-04-19, 21:08   Link #8
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelydra View Post
@RRW Do you have the other expansions? They are worth the money.
nah i just wait for this. thanks for suggestion

Old 2012-04-19, 21:27   Link #9
Chelydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
nah i just wait for this. thanks for suggestion
Oh I see, since you said you had the original Sins I had wondered if you also had the expansions as well, anyways that is the correct move to wait for this one since it has all the previous stuff included in it.
Old 2012-04-20, 06:06   Link #10
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelydra View Post
Yes there is great potential, one of the main reasons why there is no campaign, and this is direct from the developer, is that they "suck" at writing them.
...well, I guess it can't be helped then. Better to not risk with a poor writer and getting a Star Child ending

I hope Rebellion will sell well. Maybe then they can get a reliable writer for SoaSE 2. Thank God the original game as well as Entrenchment and Diplomacy are still fun, so I have good expectations for this. (I hope they change the design for the Vasari star base, though. That thing kicks ass but looks butt ugly)
Old 2012-04-20, 07:15   Link #11
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Story, lol.

This game has 4X elements, story and 4X mix like oil and water.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 19:34   Link #12
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

But look at that trailer! That's a bonafide classic sci-fi story right there, and we're just... leaving it there?

Such a shame.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-20, 19:53   Link #13
Chelydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
...well, I guess it can't be helped then. Better to not risk with a poor writer and getting a Star Child ending

I hope Rebellion will sell well. Maybe then they can get a reliable writer for SoaSE 2. Thank God the original game as well as Entrenchment and Diplomacy are still fun, so I have good expectations for this. (I hope they change the design for the Vasari star base, though. That thing kicks ass but looks butt ugly)
The killer onion huh? Well there was a HUGE thread on the sins forum about the sexual innuendo's for the advent, how most of their ships either looked like sex toys or had a sexual theme The "missionary" vessel, not to mention their star base was labeled the "Butt Plug of doom" XD

Quote:
But look at that trailer! That's a bonafide classic sci-fi story right there, and we're just... leaving it there?

Such a shame.
I think part of the reason there is no story is the reason Tiresias mentioned, and that is they could not do justice to it. And yeah that drives me nuts an epic story is just waiting to be unleashed.

Original SoaSE Intro.

Gives more back story on the events that are occurring in Rebellion. (For someone unfamiliar with Sins it helps flesh out the Lore better)

Diplomacy intro

Last expansion before rebellion, updates the player on what is going on currently.

Entrenchment does not have a "legit" intro.

Last edited by Chelydra; 2012-04-20 at 22:21.
Chelydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-21, 12:23   Link #14
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

So, with a lack of story, is there any reason to play the "core" sins? Or can I just jump into Diplomacy?

And what is that "if the warnings are true" foreshadowing about if we're never going to find out?

So many questions!
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-21, 13:21   Link #15
Chelydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
So, with a lack of story, is there any reason to play the "core" sins? Or can I just jump into Diplomacy?

And what is that "if the warnings are true" foreshadowing about if we're never going to find out?

So many questions!
If I were in your shoes I would fo straight to Rebellion, since it has all the features of the previous three games plus new ones. Its a stand alone so you don't need the original SoaSE game for it to work.

As to what is chasing the Vasari the developers have put hints into the gaming code for modders to find, it was also stated by the developers that they would help fill in the gaps as to what the Vasari are running from.

Spoiler for Game spoilers:

Also its likely we wont find out for sure what they are running from unless another expansion after Rebellion is released.

On an off note the Beta currently is having some lulz worthy yet annoying bugs at this time....
Old 2012-06-06, 23:19   Link #16
Chelydra

Just under a week till official release, who is excited?
Old 2012-06-07, 06:52   Link #17
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

me, kinda. i will watch for gameplay while waiting for steam sales

Old 2012-06-07, 11:20   Link #18
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
the only problem with the game is the AI and the fleet formations.

With the AI, if their fleet is slightly weaker than yours, they'll just high tail it out of there regardless. They'll even abandon their worlds and even the homeworld if it's slightly leaning towards you.

So in other words the fights suck because either you'll 100% win and end up playing cat and mouse or they'll overwhelm you with numbers. Even if they stay and fight the second they lose that single ship which leans towards you then they'll run away.

As for the fleet formations I'd think it'd be nice if they could at least allow us to keep ships in formation during battle. It's hard to watch when all of them just group up into a ball during the fight.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-08, 17:55   Link #19
Chelydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
the only problem with the game is the AI and the fleet formations.

With the AI, if their fleet is slightly weaker than yours, they'll just high tail it out of there regardless. They'll even abandon their worlds and even the homeworld if it's slightly leaning towards you.

So in other words the fights suck because either you'll 100% win and end up playing cat and mouse or they'll overwhelm you with numbers. Even if they stay and fight the second they lose that single ship which leans towards you then they'll run away.

As for the fleet formations I'd think it'd be nice if they could at least allow us to keep ships in formation during battle. It's hard to watch when all of them just group up into a ball during the fight.
As for the ai it has been steadily improving, and I have had games where the Ai fights tooth and nail for some planets. Especially when you get into the harder ai difficulty levels. Sadly its the luck of the draw right now sometimes the ai sucks, other times it can really give you a run for your money.
Old 2012-06-19, 01:49   Link #20
Velsy

I bought Trinity a week ago, as a new player to the game, so far I have liked it. Mostly played TEC, but thats because I've always been a fan of humans in space heh. I like bringing out the Aircraft Carrier Capital ship first, then 2nd the Kal Battleship (still learning there names).

There was a space game in the making on Steam I am keeping an eye on. but After seeing this thread and liking Trinity, I'll keep an eye out here too ^_^
Velsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sins of a solar empire