AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-01-08, 12:18   Link #41
Cal-Reflector

This is not good.

If you look at Bandai Namco's financial statements, revenue from the US (incl. toy-hobby, contents (video games, anime), etc) has plummeted by 50% in the past five years.

US operations have generated three straight years of losses; last year US operations lost more than 70 million dollars, by far the worst performing market globally.

To put that in further perspective, company wide profits were about 200M USD last year, so if they got completely out of the US they could improve profits by 35%. If I were a responsible CEO looking at these results I'd probably have done the same thing.
Old 2012-01-08, 13:34   Link #42
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-Reflector View Post
This is not good.

If you look at Bandai Namco's financial statements, revenue from the US (incl. toy-hobby, contents (video games, anime), etc) has plummeted by 50% in the past five years.

US operations have generated three straight years of losses; last year US operations lost more than 70 million dollars, by far the worst performing market globally.

To put that in further perspective, company wide profits were about 200M USD last year, so if they got completely out of the US they could improve profits by 35%. If I were a responsible CEO looking at these results I'd probably have done the same thing.
Of course, that directly correlates to the US economic crash, no one can afford "frivolous purchases". But yeah, I'd be exiting the US market completely if I were those companies.

Last edited by Vexx; 2012-01-09 at 09:40.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 00:47   Link #43
Ledgem
Love Yourself

There's a lot that may contribute to this. I get the sense that there's a sort of "media fatigue" among consumers - it feels like it was only a few years ago when DVD players were new, and now we have Blu-Ray. Whereas DVDs took over VHS tapes fairly quickly, Blu-Ray isn't replacing DVDs so readily. To top it off, Apple is leading a pretty aggressive campaign to make physical media a thing of the past.

I have a few anime DVDs. I used to dream of having bookshelves filled with DVDs, similar to what Chris Beveridge of Anime on DVD had going. Now, even though the entire box sets from my favorite series can be had for bargain-basement prices, I'm not buying. I like the idea of having a physical product and nice box art, but in practice I find myself using Apple's model more often (pure digital). I can't speak for everyone, of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the direction that we're headed.
Old 2012-08-31, 21:27   Link #44
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...ga-novel-sales

Well no more Bandai after next year time to get some dvds when I still can

I just hope some one picks up the Lucky Star manga
Old 2012-08-31, 21:40   Link #45
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
I just hope some one picks up the Lucky Star manga
That and the Kannagi manga too.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 05:59   Link #46
Roloko vi Britannia
The Dark Empress

Sucks for us Gundam and Code Geass fans who are pretty much going to get forced to import now. -___-

I'm going to have to get CG R1/R2, the last half of Zeta, 08th MS team, and 00 series for anime and Code Geass Knight and Queens for manga. Wing I can watch online and I want to import SEED remaster. I don't want to waste money on G since I can stream that too and SEED Destiny isn't worth $40~$80.

I wonder how long its going to take for used DVDs from Bandai titles to skyrocket in price on Amazon? xD

I'm not worried about the other titles since those can be rescued. Sentai will rescue K-On! since they already have the second season.

Roloko vi Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 06:18   Link #47
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual

The State of anime in America is terrible, pretty much importing everything now. I thought Bandai was an anime titan what with all the popular series they licensed.

I feel really shitty now, I need to be alone with my collection of Bandai dvds.
ttdestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 12:40   Link #48
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I've gotten to where I always buy the japanese manga. It may be torturous to translate (or find scanlations) but at least I'm far more likely to have a complete series. I'm wary of even mentioning publishers I like any more.

(looks over at his complete japanese editions of ARIA and Tsukuyomi Moon Phase versus the several restarts of english ARIA and the dropped-without-explanation two books before finish TMP).
Old 2012-09-01, 13:09   Link #49
Kirarakim

I never bought Cowboy Bebop and I am thinking now might be a good time. But I'd be surprised out of all Bandai titles, Bebop doesn't get licensed rescued.

Manga fans are probably more out of luck. This is why I hate that so much manga comes out notoriously slow here compared to its release schedule in Japan.
Old 2012-09-01, 14:55   Link #50
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

This is why the Korean Wave is going to prosper while we are being pushed to irrelevancy.
Old 2012-09-01, 15:57   Link #51
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaqe View Post
This is why the Korean Wave is going to prosper while we are being pushed to irrelevancy.
I think its seen as newer and fresh here but it doesn't seem any less of niche than Japanese entertainment culture in North America.
Old 2012-09-01, 20:29   Link #52
gsilver

Crap. Everything will be going OOP, and I still need to see GitS:SAC and Wolf's Rain.

...Or just about any Gundam.
Old 2012-09-01, 20:58   Link #53
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

yeah, I don't know where this "korean wave overwhelms" comes from ... its barely a quirk on the North Am fan scene ... and j-pop is barely a bump. All very niche.
Old 2012-09-01, 21:03   Link #54
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
yeah, I don't know where this "korean wave overwhelms" comes from ... its barely a quirk on the North Am fan scene ... and j-pop is barely a bump. All very niche.

Niche or not, you do not put up a show at Madison Square Garden to a full house crowd without some connections.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 21:31   Link #55
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

I wonder what Adult Swim going to do with out CB, GITS and E7 witch I still need to pick up but ive watch CB so many time I dont need to and still need to pick up

Funi to the rescue and put some in some into SAVE
Old 2012-09-01, 22:03   Link #56
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post

Niche or not, you do not put up a show at Madison Square Garden to a full house crowd without some connections.
yeah, I saw clips of that.. I think they also bought time on the Letterman show.
Old 2012-09-02, 07:37   Link #57
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilver View Post
Crap. Everything will be going OOP, and I still need to see GitS:SAC and Wolf's Rain.

...Or just about any Gundam.
Everything that's ghost in the shell related is distributed by manga and not Bandai so it is likely that there will still be stock coming out.
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 07:52   Link #58
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
yeah, I saw clips of that.. I think they also bought time on the Letterman show.
No, that was Girls Generation plugging their first US album release. Murray seemed unimpressed, but they made Regis blow his whistle!

I think they needed a bigger stage.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 12:13   Link #59
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

This is bad. The NA anime industry is dying. Let's hope it remains afloat long enough for the economy to recover because that is the root of this.
Old 2012-09-02, 12:20   Link #60
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
This is bad. The NA anime industry is dying. Let's hope it remains afloat long enough for the economy to recover because that is the root of this.
That would be the heart... you have to have a sufficient pile of teens and 20-somethings with lots of disposable income because there aren't many people in my age bracket making up the difference

And that's one thing we're severely lacking for the last 5 years - young people who can find income. Imagine....