AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-04-03, 12:13   Link #2701
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Where could i buy Khaki skinnies pant's/jeans for men online ?..
Old 2009-04-03, 17:32   Link #2702
klowny
OH NO

how does a person get taller? i mean people have been telling me it's genetics but i am taller than my parents and most of my family
klowny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 18:05   Link #2703
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

We're a lot taller than our ancestors. Better, more abundant food, I guess. I've read that the Japanese have also been growing taller ever since they started using chairs instead of kneeling so much.

So, yeah. Genetics play a role, but so does how you live while you're young.

Also, genetics aren't that straightforward, what with recessive and dominant genes and all. Just because your parents are short doesn't mean you will be, too. It just makes it likely.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 18:42   Link #2704
Clarste
Human

Genetics are a blueprint. You still need the materials and the labor to actually build the house. In this case that would be eating enough food (and the right kinds of food) and treating your body correctly (enough exercise, rest, etc). Genetics are actually more complicated than that, but I think the analogy works. Also, you're not a clone of your parents, you're a mixture of your parents in a very complicated and indirect way. So there's no guarantee of anything.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-03, 20:40   Link #2705
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes
also, in America, growth hormones are/were used for farmers to get more meat per cow. So people tend to grow taller and stronger at that.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 22:30   Link #2706
ginran
~Smile~

okay, lol, I dont know where else to ask this, but how do I know when I get reps and who they are from?

Thanks to Yuka-Chan for the sig!
ginran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-04, 23:20   Link #2707
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Reputation appears in your Control Panel below your subscribed threads and forums and below any reprimands you might have received from the mods. As for who sent the reputation, you'll only know that if the person identifies him or herself in the reputation message.

I sign every reputation I distribute, but not everyone does. Negative rep in particular is almost always anonymous. If you want to learn more about reputation, or anything else on the forum, I suggest the reading the forum rules and various FAQs. The topic of reputation comes up from time to time in the Forum and Site Feedback forum; you might try searching there if your questions aren't answered in the FAQs.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 01:36   Link #2708
ginran
~Smile~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Reputation appears in your Control Panel below your subscribed threads and forums and below any reprimands you might have received from the mods. As for who sent the reputation, you'll only know that if the person identifies him or herself in the reputation message.

I sign every reputation I distribute, but not everyone does. Negative rep in particular is almost always anonymous. If you want to learn more about reputation, or anything else on the forum, I suggest the reading the forum rules and various FAQs. The topic of reputation comes up from time to time in the Forum and Site Feedback forum; you might try searching there if your questions aren't answered in the FAQs.
Okay, thank you very much! That's really helpful, I appreciate it.

Thanks to Yuka-Chan for the sig!
ginran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 03:22   Link #2709
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Imagine you're on a space ship or space station, without a suit on. You're suddenly ejected into space. You'll be rescued shortly, so you're not 100% guaranteed to die, but what's your best bet? Empty your lungs and risk anoxia, or hold your breath and risk the expansion of air in your lungs to damage them? Or will vacuum kill you before either of these is an issue?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 05:14   Link #2710
idiffer

Send a message via ICQ to idiffer
in a movie with shwarznager, in the same situation, the dudes eyes expanded/popped out.
i wonder if thats true...
c) Your mind is too narrow to embrace my genius, de geso.
d) I was accidentally dropped into a barrel of whiskey, so now I am constantly drunk.
e) Go home and die! Dattebayo!
idiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 05:29   Link #2711
Clarste
Human

Nevermind, just looked it up. Breathe out, since you're going to faint from lack of oxygen anyway and might as well spare your lungs the damage). Eyes will start boiling (although probably not explode, just dry out very quickly). Bubbles will form in the blood in the extremities, apparently leading to heart failure in about 2 minutes at most. Oddly enough, preventable by wearing tight clothing.

http://www.sff.net/people/Geoffrey.Landis/vacuum.html

Last edited by Clarste; 2009-04-05 at 05:51.
Old 2009-04-06, 20:17   Link #2712
idiffer

me and my friends had a stupid discussion as to why arent there nuclear powered spaceships by now? seeing how nuclear power can produce a great amount of energy we thought that the spaceships will have much greater speed...
d) I was accidentally dropped into a barrel of whiskey, so now I am constantly drunk.
Old 2009-04-06, 20:28   Link #2713
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

What type of nuclear power?
Old 2009-04-06, 20:40   Link #2714
idiffer

nuclear fission seems to be the only answer, judging by your link. but it doesnt really matter which...
Old 2009-04-06, 20:42   Link #2715
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

nuclear fission powered spaceship = "steam powered spaceship" (unless I'm mistaken)

Do you see the problem.
Old 2009-04-06, 20:47   Link #2716
Clarste
Human

You can't just turn "power" into "thrust" in space. Most modern transport technology is based on "spinning" (to push on the ground, air, water, whatever), which quite simply doesn't work in space. "Pushing" is the easiest way to get motion in space, and we accomplish that by burning rocket fuel.

That said, there have been proposals made about accelerating a spaceship by detonating nuclear bombs behind it. Not sure how far that line of thought has actually been developed and funded though.
Old 2009-04-06, 20:48   Link #2717
idiffer

Clarste, thanks))
Cats...nevermind, i guess? "steam powered spaceship", yeah that would be fun)
Old 2009-04-06, 22:46   Link #2718
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Ion power (streams of ions fired out the buttside) can generate large amounts of velocity efficiently over time... but there's the key: over time. You're using lots of tiny molecules to push a large mass so the acceleration is going to be damned tiny.

The NERVA program and the ORION program are interesting little tidbits to read on nuclear power propulsion.

But yay, for steampunk
Old 2009-04-06, 23:56   Link #2719
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes
There's also the problem of nuclear waste... Spent fuel rods are placed where? Also, what would happen if there was a leak, the radiation and maybe fallout would travel, if close enough, back to Earth and cause a global nuclear winter. On the other hand, who really knows the consequence of nuclear fallout in space entering the earth's atmosphere in large quantities?

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 09:31   Link #2720
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Some sites force you to use passwords with only numbers and letters. What is the point? Is there really less security with using every character on the keyboard such as #, $, @ etc.

Tags
problem, q&a, serious