AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-10-05, 23:30   Link #141
LightDragonman

Boy, ANN has nothing but contempt for this show. Think they're overreacting?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/prev...ss-ange/.79579
LightDragonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-05, 23:39   Link #142
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Nah. MAL has Cross Ange rated at 6.69.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-05, 23:40   Link #143
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightDragonman View Post
They're entitled to their opinion, and it's not like they don't have a point.
Old 2014-10-05, 23:54   Link #144
MgMaster

Pfff,they just don't understand the appeal of what look's to be a glorious trainwreck!
MgMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-06, 00:03   Link #145
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

A glorious trainwreck was Rail Wars. This feels more like Sunrise's take on Im Dal-Young's style of writing, which enrages me every time I think about it.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Old 2014-10-06, 00:08   Link #146
LightDragonman

In what ways does it enrage you?

Personally, I just see as yet another case of Sunrise's insanity following Code Geass.
LightDragonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-06, 00:08   Link #147
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Nah, Fukuda unintentionally piss everyone by trying to bring 'mature' topic. The result is both laughable and infuriating, at the same time.

Just hope that they lessen the tension a bit or drama fatigue will hit full force
Old 2014-10-06, 00:14   Link #148
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroXSEED View Post
Nah, Fukuda unintentionally piss everyone by trying to bring 'mature' topic.
If this is his attempt at being mature, the guy must be pretty stupid. It turned the whole thing into a joke. No one is taking the show seriously now, not even the few who liked it.
Old 2014-10-06, 00:17   Link #149
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
They're entitled to their opinion, and it's not like they don't have a point.
Sure, the anime could have toned down a bit and make it a little less sensational but it's getting a little ridiculous. I for one do not have a single remote interest in what this anime has to offer but I come to the threads that talks about the anime just to check the reactions everywhere. This anime is nothing new, that's what makes this whole debacle confusing. I'll bet even if I watched it, I could have thought of some other fiction more offensive than this.

From my observation of Sunrise's stuff, they don't seem to know the word restraint when making anime. They will do anything to see what sticks and what doesn't. With the exception of heavily westernised anime, most of their works have been so far extreme with the measure of sensibility thrown out the window especially the mecha or sci-fi genre. Thus, this is why I don't enjoy Sunrise anime. It's either too much infodump, too much shock value.
Old 2014-10-06, 00:17   Link #150
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
In what ways does it enrage you?
I'm totally not comfortable with wartime-level crimes such as discriminatory rape, torture and mutilation. That's the reason I can't pick up Freezing in its entirety after seeing dozens of scenes where the "Untouchable Queen" is turned into someone's slave and how the girls featured in the series were put into such pitiful acts by basically everyone else. The same can be said with Muv-Luv, which has my ultimate weakness—seeing people get horribly killed in gruesome ways.

Im Dal Young is also known for its horrible characterization of females. On one end you have girls who humiliate males in public, while the other offers girls who exist only to be humiliated.

Don't be offended guys, but Cross Ange seems like a waste of talent, to be honest.

Old 2014-10-06, 00:34   Link #151
Grand Phoenix
The Master of Turkeys

Alright, so I related this episode over to two of my friends on Facebook and they both said it was more akin to assault than outright rape. I haven't read the manga yet, but if the posts I've read about that scene being Ange getting that implant are true then I still stand by my opinion that it wasn't rape.

I haven't gotten around to reading the ANN reviews, but skimming through some of them...are they even trying? How is it hateful towards women? It sounds so close-minded. It's only the first episode. Give it a couple more episodes before deciding whether or not it's worth going along for the ride or dropping it.
Grand Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-06, 00:35   Link #152
n0m@n
C-Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
The same can be said with Muv-Luv, which has my ultimate weakness—seeing people get horribly killed in gruesome ways.
Its possible that we will see the girls getting eaten by those dragons

Quote:
Don't be offended guys, but Cross Ange seems like a waste of talent, to be honest.
Don't worry. We already had a bomb drop on us called Valvrave. It had potential at the begining but the plot sucked so much that its clearly one of the worst shows ever.

Last edited by Flower; 2014-10-06 at 00:51. Reason: Please do not spoiler content from other series....
n0m@n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-06, 00:36   Link #153
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
If this is his attempt at being mature, the guy must be pretty stupid. It turned the whole thing into a joke. No one is taking the show seriously now, not even the few who liked it.
Never said Fukuda's good at being serious, last time he did we got Gundam SEED Destiny.

His best portfolio comprised of balls to the wall formula racing series and lighthearted semi-super robot show, he's just not cut for drama.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Phoenix View Post
Alright, so I related this episode over to two of my friends on Facebook and they both said it was more akin to assault than outright rape. I haven't read the manga yet, but if the posts I've read about that scene being Ange getting that implant are true then I still stand by my opinion that it wasn't rape.
It's a honest to god prisoner handling procedure PORTRAYED like a rape.

So the fault is in the studio for presentation, not the content.
Old 2014-10-06, 00:43   Link #154
SQA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
I'm totally not comfortable with wartime-level crimes such as discriminatory rape, torture and mutilation. That's the reason I can't pick up Freezing in its entirety after seeing dozens of scenes where the "Untouchable Queen" is turned into someone's slave and how the girls featured in the series were put into such pitiful acts by basically everyone else. The same can be said with Muv-Luv, which has my ultimate weakness—seeing people get horribly killed in gruesome ways.

Im Dal Young is also known for its horrible characterization of females. On one end you have girls who humiliate males in public, while the other offers girls who exist only to be humiliated.

It's actually a good waste of visual designs (it looks quite nice), the mecha action at the beginning was good and I was quite intrigued by Mecha vs Dragons. (Hey, who isn't?)

Then, well, it got ugly. With a capital UG, in a hurry. It's one thing to have brutal "racism" (Normas wouldn't be a race, so I guess it's just categorical "bigotry" in this case, but that's purely a stand-in for the intent), it's another thing to clobber us over the head with it. And I'm not even annoyed at Ange, just the writers.

There's also one utterly massive plot hole created by the scene with the very small child. This is an "advanced" technological society. And they don't have neo-natal screening for "Normas" children? That should be both easy and quite safe to perform. Or they'd perform it right after birth. But going *there* is going to touch on a set of subjects that will truly upset a lot of apple carts. But only a few anime writers have the chops to handle that issue with any sort of skill. Though it would change the series from Mecha-Adventure to hard Sci-Fi social commentary in an instant.
SQA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-06, 00:48   Link #155
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

^ Contrived circumstances, perhaps? I don't want to use the word "contrived", but seeing that question being pushed in the issue of Norma discrimination is totally legit.

I guess they used up all their brain juice in making those robots.

Old 2014-10-06, 00:48   Link #156
Dr. Dahm
Banned

Quote:

Much as this was a pretty preposterous premiere I don't really think those were reviews so much as rants on women's rights and like they voided on the review by not even giving a score. I kind of wonder why ANN even does these things to be honest since only one of them actually bothered to just do one.
Dr. Dahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-06, 00:55   Link #157
IceHism

finally saw the whole episode fully. Am i the only one who is immune to the assault/exploitation and barely-noticeable fanservice? I didn't even find the episode as extreme as everyone is hyping it up to be. Besides the reused seed animation, i think my face stayed stoic the whole time.

Oh, i liked the face of the women as she got her baby taken away. it was fierce and expressive.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-06, 00:58   Link #158
SQA

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
finally saw the whole episode fully. Am i the only one who is immune to the assault/exploitation and barely-noticeable fanservice? I didn't even find the episode as extreme as everyone is hyping it up to be. Besides the reused seed animation, i think my face stayed stoic the whole time.

Oh, i liked the face of the women as she got her baby taken away. it was fierce and expressive.
I think it hits a bit harder when it's a complete surprise? Maybe more of the Ga-Rei Zero effect?
SQA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-06, 00:58   Link #159
Grand Phoenix
The Master of Turkeys

Quote:

Only one person bothered to give it a decent review. Everyone else didn't even so much as try (just look at the ones that wrote drivel like "worthless" and "NOPE NOPE NOPE" in the ratings column). So yes, I think they're overreacting.

I think it's best I step away from this thread until the next episode. This is working me up into quite the tizzy. Maybe the backlash will die down by then.
Grand Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-06, 01:06   Link #160
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQA View Post
I think it hits a bit harder when it's a complete surprise? Maybe more of the Ga-Rei Zero effect?
I disagree, if something really was extreme or gruesome, it should hold up no matter how many times you watch it. Also, spoilers don't affect me. I'm more interested in the details and context.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fanservice, mecha, ps vita, romance