AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2017-07-15, 21:20   Link #281
kanoguti

Just watched this in non-bad quality. It's pretty good but 5cm per second is WAY better. The body swapping and time travel stuff is fun on first watch, but having seen the film again it seems stale. 5cm spent it's entire run-time dedicated to exploring love from three main angles, while Kimi no Name spends half of the movie exploring a fun romance, and then has a horrible
Spoiler for spoiler i guess:

Hopefully Shinkai's next film has a more moody tone, instead of a blatant attempt trying to make a summer action film.

カノグティ
kanoguti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-15, 22:44   Link #282
Verso Sciolto

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanoguti View Post
Just watched this in non-bad quality. It's pretty good but 5cm per second is WAY better. The body swapping and time travel stuff is fun on first watch, but having seen the film again it seems stale. 5cm spent it's entire run-time dedicated to exploring love from three main angles, while Kimi no Name spends half of the movie exploring a fun romance, and then has a horrible
Spoiler for spoiler i guess:

Hopefully Shinkai's next film has a more moody tone, instead of a blatant attempt trying to make a summer action film.
... are you interested in exploring what
Spoiler:
Verso Sciolto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-15, 23:31   Link #283
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Just watched this in non-bad quality...Hopefully Shinkai's next film has a more moody tone, instead of a blatant attempt trying to make a summer action film.
"Non-bad"? Trust me, mate, when I say that anything less than native 1920 x 1080 is "bad": native HD is "acceptable" and 4K is "good". I'm not sure how good "good" will be, but I am okay with acceptable

Now, here's a general question for everyone to consider: what would you Shinkai's next film be like? Should he craft a science fiction story set in the depths of space, delve into history and explore things like the mining programme at Hashima Island? Admittedly, I feel that there's so much that could be done outside of the contemporary genre, and like how modern warfare in the first person genre grew stale, stories dealing with loneliness and longing set in a world not unlike ours could become dull.
Old 2017-07-16, 09:39   Link #284
kanoguti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso Sciolto View Post
... are you interested in exploring what
Spoiler:
Spoiler for My power is down. Just shoot me bros.:

I'll watch the film again sometime, and I'll make sure to have that in mind when I do. Again it's a really good movie, and it looks way better than 5cm per second, but I feel 5cm it's more focused on telling a central message that payed off (for me at least).

カノグティ
kanoguti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-16, 10:16   Link #285
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Ten days left until the BDs come out, the excitement rises.
Old 2017-07-16, 18:19   Link #286
Verso Sciolto

Quote:
Spoiler for My power is down. Just shoot me bros.:

I'll watch the film again sometime, and I'll make sure to have that in mind when I do. Again it's a really good movie, and it looks way better than 5cm per second, but I feel 5cm it's more focused on telling a central message that payed off (for me at least).
Comparison is almost inevitable. We place this film within Shinkai's oeuvre and we place his oeuvre within the history of animated film. We all have preferences. Kotonoha no Niwa resonates with me more than some of Shinkai's other films, including Kimi no Na wa and I'm therefore not addressing your preference for 5cm per second. I didn't get the impression that you thought Kimi no Na wa completely sucked. I did get the impression that you may not have been as familiar with the circumstances of its creation and that you may not have been aware of certain elements Shinkai depicts or themes he explores, as a result. There is no guarantee this film will work better for you now that you can see it from a slightly different perspective - but that in itself is already a useful discovery, I think. I do think the role of the character you mentioned worked as intended, however.

AnimeSuki poster Kakkou transcribed and translated Shinkai's remarks made at the Garden of Words' world premiere Q&A. Here is a "slightly edited" excerpt from one of Shinkai's remarks from that translation. A remark which may be pertinent here as well, with the specific references from that film omitted:
Quote:
I’m really nervous about what you will think of the film. It is set in modern Japan and thus contains a lot of Japanese elements, [...]. As such I am curious and a little worried about how these Japanese elements will be perceived by overseas viewers.[...].
[The link is in the thread for the other film.]

I get the impression that some of Shinkai's concerns were somewhat alleviated by the overseas response to that film but the cultural references he mentions are present in his films and they do need a little more explanation for an overseas audience perhaps even less familiar with them than most members of his Japanese audience. Whether or not he succeeds in revealing enough of that within the film, to make it understandable and enjoyable, is conditional on his abilities as a story teller but also conditional on the amount of baggage each audience member brings with them before they take a seat in front of the screen. Hopefully the film works even better with a little more background information -and you're obviously willing to give it another chance, to get even more out of it than you already did- but there is no guarantee it will...

Last edited by Verso Sciolto; 2017-07-16 at 18:39.
Old 2017-07-17, 17:13   Link #287
Kamisato Kakeru
World Rejecter

I am so ready for the Blu-ray release. Weird thing happened to me I was flying back home from NY on Delta and I just happened to check out the animated movie section and long and behold there was Your Name. I said to myself no way this would be the subtitled version, was I wrong so I enjoyed the movie for the 2nd time.
Old 2017-07-17, 18:37   Link #288
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy Convoy View Post
I am so ready for the Blu-ray release. Weird thing happened to me I was flying back home from NY on Delta and I just happened to check out the animated movie section and long and behold there was Your Name. I said to myself no way this would be the subtitled version, was I wrong so I enjoyed the movie for the 2nd time.
I saw the movie a second time movie on a flight (Cathay Pacific), as well, which left me impressed with the visual quality of the film itself. Half the folks around me were also watching, attesting to its popularity There's going to be a 4K version in the Ultimate edition, as well, although I'm not sure if it'll be native 4K or upscaled from 1080p.
Old 2017-07-17, 19:26   Link #289
Kamisato Kakeru
World Rejecter

I am just getting the 1080p version.

4k would be great to see especially during the comet scene.
Old 2017-07-17, 19:49   Link #290
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:

I'm on the rocks about which version is worth it; I heard the ultimate edition is 1080p + 4K, so it'll be future-proofing, but the Elite Edition, at 7800 yen, seems more appropriate for my budget, even if it doesn't include the 4K version and booklet.
Old 2017-07-19, 13:22   Link #291
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Quote:

Yeah, if you have a huge projection screen, otherwise no it makes no difference.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-19, 17:50   Link #292
Verso Sciolto

Excuse for stating the obvious. The best quality your system can currently handle is the minimum I feel people interested in buying this particular film will want to aim for. The animation and imagery contribute significantly to the experience.
Some future proofing is warranted as well. As long as your system can handle the increased "load" from the best quality it will be worth it to get the best package you can afford. It is not possible to describe the visual impact a film like this has. In what they set out to achieve these animators succeeded.

Having said that. It is an often heard point of criticism that Shinkai's imagery obscures, according to his critics, a lack in story. Maybe everyone should watch a poor copy at least once to see if the story holds up with low quality visuals. Personally, I don't agree with that criticism and think the visuals augment and complement already compelling narratives and themes present in all his works, arguably, culminating in Kimi no Na wa.
[also, Kimi no Na wa did not "erase" his previous films.]

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by Verso Sciolto; 2017-07-19 at 18:07.
Old 2017-07-19, 18:41   Link #293
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso Sciolto View Post
Excuse for stating the obvious. The best quality your system can currently handle is the minimum I feel people interested in buying this particular film will want to aim for. The animation and imagery contribute significantly to the experience.

Some future proofing is warranted as well. As long as your system can handle the increased "load" from the best quality it will be worth it to get the best package you can afford. It is not possible to describe the visual impact a film like this has. In what they set out to achieve these animators succeeded.

Having said that. It is an often heard point of criticism that Shinkai's imagery obscures, according to his critics, a lack in story. Maybe everyone should watch a poor copy at least once to see if the story holds up with low quality visuals. Personally, I don't agree with that criticism and think the visuals augment and complement already compelling narratives and themes present in all his works, arguably, culminating in Kimi no Na wa.
I'll see your 240p copy of Kimi no na wa and raise you the light novel, which is 0p considering that the English language version is all text Jokes aside, Kimi no na wa's narrative and plot, is not the most intricate or moving in the world in novel form: there are some things that work better in the movie format, as Shinkai himself notes in the closing remarks. However, as a story, it is nonetheless coherent and satisfactory in conveying Shinkai's themes.

On the visuals, they are a major part of the experience: much like how games such as Battlefield 1 and Crysis 3 (to name a few) offer unparalleled immersion on ultra settings, Makoto Shinkai's films are similarly to be enjoyed at the best possible quality. I'm not quite with the crowd that will buy the best GPU for ultra 4K gaming, but rather, will buy the best GPU for my needs (1080p60). I only have 1080p screens at present, although that could change soon, and Kimi no na wa at 2160p could be a fine way to break in a new 4K screen.

Having said that, how about yourself? What version are you likely to go for, and what setup do you have that might motivate your choice?
Old 2017-07-19, 18:55   Link #294
Verso Sciolto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Zenith View Post
I'll see your 240p copy of ...
With a little glibness in my response to your poker reference, it is not "my" 240p copy... as you note at the end I don't yet own a copy.
No closer to deciding and writing in part to convince myself that I'd really like the best set of disks they're releasing ... so I'll probably be raising.

Without the visuals "distracting" his stories and themes still work on quite a few levels. Offering the same food for thought... so, yes, the story is better with the visuals but the visuals aren't the only aspect that makes his work attractive.
Old 2017-07-19, 19:57   Link #295
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

That's not how the slang works "Your" here is the general case rather than specifically referring to any copies that might or might not be in your possession. Back to the discussion at hand: have you read the novel yet?
Old 2017-07-19, 22:32   Link #296
Verso Sciolto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Zenith View Post
That's not how the slang works "Your" here is the general case rather than specifically referring to any copies that might or might not be in your possession. Back to the discussion at hand: have you read the novel yet?
The slang works the way I used it and such usage is part and parcel of the conversation about this film. It could be spelled out how it works ... with a sharp tak, tak, tak, as though a teacher writing on the blackboard… Some word play is inevitably lost not just in translation when going from the general to the specific and/or vice versa.

Spoiler for two lines from the novel:
Old 2017-07-20, 13:21   Link #297
blakstealth
Cinderella Gang or Die

No one posted it yet, so here it is.

No confirmation on a 4K version yet, but it's not completely ruled out!

https://twitter.com/eswayne/status/882072282331455488
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-20, 13:40   Link #298
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
No one posted it yet, so here it is.

No confirmation on a 4K version yet, but it's not completely ruled out!

https://twitter.com/eswayne/status/882072282331455488
The mid-range looks worthwhile. If it's got both the Japanese audio and English audio with English songs from RADWIMPs, the Funimation release is a winner
Old 2017-07-20, 14:30   Link #299
blakstealth
Cinderella Gang or Die

The Japanese version will have both audio tracks, right>?
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-20, 15:03   Link #300
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

As far as I know, the Japanese versions will only have English subtitles, no dubbing.