AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2012-07-02, 15:27   Link #1
FireChick

Wi-Fi connection help?

I have no idea if this is the right place to ask a question like this. If it isn't, feel free to move it or delete it. See, I just moved to another state and I'm trying to get a Wi-Fi connection on my old Nintendo DS so I can play more of Pokemon Black and play around in the Dream World, but I can't get a connection! I'm not a technology expert so I may need help. I did, however, get a new router for my computer. It's a TP-Link brand and the model number is TL-WN722N. I happen to have the very first model of Nintendo DS (before the DS Lite). Does anyone know if this router is compatible with the old Nintendo DS or not?
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-02, 17:15   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Unless you set up this router to be identical to the old one, in terms of its "SSID" and choice of encryption algorithm and passphrase, chances are good you'll need to reconfigure the DS again. See if this helps: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/wfc...ds/connect.jsp
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-02, 18:39   Link #3
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Also note that the original DS and the DS Lite only supports WEP security for Wi-Fi networks. It's definitely not recommended to continue using WEP as it is now easily crackable, and has been depreciated in favour of WPA and WPA2.
Most, if not all routers support WEP, but again, they will most likely default to WPA/WPA2 for the reason above, so that's probably why you haven't been able to use your DS with the router.
Pokemon Black and White is a DSi enchanced game (notice that the cartridge is black rather than the dark grey of other DS games, and the lighter grey for 3DS games), which means it can support WPA and WPA2 only in the DSi and beyond. If you have spare cash, it might be better to get a DSi (DSi XL, 3DS or 3DS XL), since they should be fairly cheap by now.
Old 2012-07-03, 06:48   Link #4
demonix

Send a message via Yahoo to demonix
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze0041 View Post
Pokemon Black and White is a DSi enchanced game (notice that the cartridge is black rather than the dark grey of other DS games, and the lighter grey for 3DS games)
That piece of information is slightly misleading since the black card only denotes that it has a built in IR transceiver (Pokemon heartgold and soulsilver has the same type of card and that is not DSi enhanced).
demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 07:27   Link #5
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonix View Post
That piece of information is slightly misleading since the black card only denotes that it has a built in IR transceiver (Pokemon heartgold and soulsilver has the same type of card and that is not DSi enhanced).
Ah, my bad. The newer Pokemon games were the only DSi-enhanced games I was personally aware of.
Another thing to note- DSi-enhanced games are capable of being region locked (and I believe most, if not all DSi-enhanced games are region locked)- buy a US version of a DSi-enhanced game, don't expect it to work on anything other than the US versions of the DSi (and above), or the older DS and DS Lite (and so on).
Old 2012-07-04, 06:48   Link #6
demonix

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze0041 View Post
Ah, my bad. The newer Pokemon games were the only DSi-enhanced games I was personally aware of.
Another thing to note- DSi-enhanced games are capable of being region locked (and I believe most, if not all DSi-enhanced games are region locked)- buy a US version of a DSi-enhanced game, don't expect it to work on anything other than the US versions of the DSi (and above), or the older DS and DS Lite (and so on).
It might just be a difference in part numbers for the game cards (which is why I said it was slightly misleading since I don't have another DSi enhanced game to compare it with).

And as you've said the back door region locking nintendo put in with DSi enhanced games doesn't work with all the enhanced games (pokemon black and white are good examples of this as I recently heard on another forum since the Japanese versions will only work on a Japanese 3DS or DSi yet the UK/European versions of the same game will work on a Japanese 3DS or DSi).
Old 2012-07-04, 20:33   Link #7
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireChick View Post
I have no idea if this is the right place to ask a question like this. If it isn't, feel free to move it or delete it. See, I just moved to another state and I'm trying to get a Wi-Fi connection on my old Nintendo DS so I can play more of Pokemon Black and play around in the Dream World, but I can't get a connection! I'm not a technology expert so I may need help. I did, however, get a new router for my computer. It's a TP-Link brand and the model number is TL-WN722N. I happen to have the very first model of Nintendo DS (before the DS Lite). Does anyone know if this router is compatible with the old Nintendo DS or not?
Others have pretty much answered your question, but just to elaborate, the answer is yes. In this case, it doesn't have to do with the router, but the network settings. By default, most routers today use WPA or WPA2 for security. Unfortunately, the Nintendo DS only supports the older security type, WEP, which can be hacked very easily.

I used to change my router settings to use WEP encryption when I wanted to use the DS, and then changed it back to WPA2 when I was finished. It's annoying, but more secure. If your router is one of the fancier types, it may allow you to activate a "guest wireless network." That's basically a second wireless network that can be unrelated to your regular wireless network. It may be easier to turn on and off the guest network when you want to use the DS than to alter your main network each time, assuming your router has that functionality.
Old 2012-07-04, 22:01   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I used to change my router settings to use WEP encryption when I wanted to use the DS, and then changed it back to WPA2 when I was finished. It's annoying, but more secure.
Given that you can buy a decent router for $20 these days, it might make sense just to have two routers, one with WEP for the DS and one with WPA2 for normal Internet usage. If you go this route, make sure to put them on separate radio channels to avoid interference problems.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 22:50   Link #9
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Given that you can buy a decent router for $20 these days, it might make sense just to have two routers, one with WEP for the DS and one with WPA2 for normal Internet usage. If you go this route, make sure to put them on separate radio channels to avoid interference problems.
If you have DD-WRT installed, just make a virtual wireless network and delete it when you aren't using it... It will work similarly to a Guest Network.
Old 2012-07-05, 08:20   Link #10
demonix

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I'd second that since that is what I decided to do when I changed ISP's a few months ago and didn't want to muck about with the security settings on the supplied modem/router (I didn't have to buy a new router since all I had to do was to change one setting on my other router to turn it into a wired/wireless switch).
Old 2012-12-04, 08:05   Link #11
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Here's a wifi question. If you just started your wifi network which includes a password and go to your laptop to search that network, you find two versions of it with one having an incorrect letter in the name (eg. "network" and "ngtwork"), you connect to the correct named network only to receive the message it got time out, does it mean there's something wrong with your router or it's something worse?