AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you prefer girls with or without make-up?
With 26 18.31%
Without 116 81.69%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-02-03, 19:21   Link #121
Gin
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidguy View Post
wow alotta people prefer girls wothout make up
Pretty weird, right?
Old 2011-02-03, 20:07   Link #122
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin View Post
Pretty weird, right?
I wonder if they're being honest or saying it to sound politically correct and sensitive to feminist issues...
Old 2011-02-03, 20:48   Link #123
LMF

Not to the extreme. A little doesn't hurt...
LMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-03, 20:51   Link #124
solidguy
I'm not a tumor

Quote:
Pretty weird, right?
Yes but not quite as wierd as your avatar. I wonder if she's wearing make up?
solidguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-04, 02:48   Link #125
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical

I draw the line at foundation and lip gloss.
Anything more, I consider it excessive.
Old 2011-02-04, 03:07   Link #126
ashesatdusk

Send a message via AIM to ashesatdusk
I'm not surprised, at the poll results. I hated the look of women who used make up when I was younger (high school). I grew up in a small town in the u.s. and frankly most girls there didn't really know how to wear makeup in a tasteful fashion. Most of them use too much, and the jobs were usually sloppy. I didn't recognize this because in those areas, maybe 20% of women actually had any idea how to apply makeup.

Then I moved to a yuppie urban city, where everyone tries to be hip, fashionable and dresswell.

You'll be really surprised how good average looking women can look, when they know how to dress well and apply makeup PROPERLY. Its a lot more subtle than people realize, and a lot harder to tell unless closeup. Two of my classmates went on to be professional models, and they are average, or actually somewhat plain looking. What the agencies happen to look for is really tall and really skinny, the rest can be done with makeup.
Old 2011-02-04, 04:35   Link #127
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

Send a message via AIM to zebra Send a message via MSN to zebra
Quote:
Fun fact: for a long time, women applied lead makeup. Yes, that "lead" to a lot of health problems, but I just find it amusing what people will do to themselves to make them look better.
I bet it was the same reason that led me to buy those uber pretty heels that like to kill my feet when I go dancing!
(I liked that pun XD)

Women grow up with the constant expectation towards them to be beautiful and representable. To be girly.
"You're a girl,
you can't dirty your clothes!
you can't run around with unbrushed hair!
you should brush your Barbies, not undress them!"

And while I more often defied the girlyness my mother tried to push on me (she hated that I was tomboyish .. still am?), I still end up joygasming over a new make up brush; loving how I look in a dress and nice heels.
Everyone likes to look good, women just try to enhance their beauty more often than men do. It's expected of us to catch the attention of the other gender; to be the passive attractor instead of the hunter. Whatever that's worth

And I don't see anything wrong with the 'enhancing yourself'. Everyone should go with what they're comfortable with. Including no make up at all.
I personally think you shouldn't overdo it in either direction. My look reflects that. I dress up depending on the situation. No need to dress up for the supemarket or a stroll in the neighborhood with my dog. And then again I sometimes wear things that aren't 100% comfortable just because they look awesome

Quote:
When you don't wear make-up, do people ask you if your tired/sick?
No. The men that saw me without were always smart enough to compliment me only

I like make-up, specially in the eye area, but I'm also no fan of overdoing it. Must be horrid to wake up next to a 'different' person who doesn't look anything like you remembered
Men with mascara are a no go, though

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidguy View Post
Yes but not quite as wierd as your avatar. I wonder if she's wearing make up?
It's easy to tell she is It's like asking if she styled her hair or just fell out of the bed that way XD

I think many men here aren't even aware many of the women they perceive as "all natural" still wear make up. They might have no rouge, no lipstick or eye shadow. Many just go with foundation, powder and mascara - to look natural
It's the most common goal when using make-up.

Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline~
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-04, 05:47   Link #128
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
I wonder if they're being honest or saying it to sound politically correct and sensitive to feminist issues...
For me personally, I honestly just don't really care. My own determination of a woman's looks isn't going to hinge upon whether or not she puts on makeup.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-04, 10:35   Link #129
Neat Hedgehog
Hack of all trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
I think many men here aren't even aware many of the women they perceive as "all natural" still wear make up. They might have no rouge, no lipstick or eye shadow. Many just go with foundation, powder and mascara - to look natural
It's the most common goal when using make-up.

Maybe she's born with it, maybe it's Maybelline~
It's pretty easy to tell if someone's wearing makeup, really, no matter how little. There's almost always a border separating normal skin from painted skin, and light falls on and is reflected by make-up much different from how it acts with human skin. The texture is just inhuman, no mater how lightly applied it is.

Then again, I do spend a lot of time editing video, and I do all my own digital coloring for pictures, so maybe I'm a little overly sensitive to lighting and gradients.

It just seems really weird to me that so many women have it ingrained in their minds that they're unpresentable if they're not wearing make-up. I mean, who the heck are they trying so hard to good for? Random people on the street? In an animal way it makes sense if it's some sort of mating ritual (lots of animals use colors to attract mates), but no animal is trying to attract mates all the time. Is it for themselves? If so, then why aren't they happy with what they've got? I mean, I'm not the most handsome man of the year, but I'm fine with that. Why can't they be satisfied with the way they look, too?

Personally, I have better things to do than look at people all the time. As long as they're not actually spewing pus from massive boils, I'm just not going to care. Of course, I suppose I'm not exactly an ideal judge, since I mostly think humans are rather ugly creatures in general just because of their anatomy and bone structure, so make-up is never going to change that.
Neat Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-04, 17:35   Link #130
Nightbat®
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
A day I don't piss off a feminist is a day not lived
(Please take in account my definition of 'feminists' is different than in every dictionary)

And I do not think feminism has any power over the fact that most ladies prefer to wear makeup when going out
Old 2011-02-04, 19:20   Link #131
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neat Hedgehog View Post
It just seems really weird to me that so many women have it ingrained in their minds that they're unpresentable if they're not wearing make-up. I mean, who the heck are they trying so hard to good for? Random people on the street? In an animal way it makes sense if it's some sort of mating ritual (lots of animals use colors to attract mates), but no animal is trying to attract mates all the time. Is it for themselves? If so, then why aren't they happy with what they've got? I mean, I'm not the most handsome man of the year, but I'm fine with that. Why can't they be satisfied with the way they look, too?
Lots of baby animals will engage in the mating rituals as play, just practicing for when they are older. Humankind is no different. We've been bred to keep our options for possible mates open as much as possible, so that's why there is a huge drive for men and women to look a certain way, and act certain ways. There are interesting studies on female body shapes, and how they correspond to "attractiveness" and "fertileness." The more attractive ones, are generally also the more fertile ones.

So that's pretty much it. Even among women who aren't looking for a mate, or will give you other reasons, are still subconsciously being driven by this millenia-old impulse.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-05, 03:31   Link #132
theflyingturkey
Swordy Turkey

I voted without.
But for me, it depends on how they use it.
theflyingturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-05, 15:09   Link #133
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neat Hedgehog View Post
Why do I play video games?

Why do I dislike ketchup?

Why do I like hamburgers?

Why do I think lolita fashion is cute?

Why do I like to wear short skirts?

Why do I refuse to go out in public without makeup on?

I'll tell you why.

Because I want to.
Old 2011-02-05, 15:26   Link #134
xl_Legit_lx
Destruction by Carnage
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to xl_Legit_lx Send a message via MSN to xl_Legit_lx Send a message via Yahoo to xl_Legit_lx
I prefer natural beauty. Some makeup doesn't hurt, but overdoing it is too fake for me.

-Legit
xl_Legit_lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-05, 15:31   Link #135
Irkalla
I asked for this

It's like guys who want the most awesome of cars or other gadgets, not necessary to attract chicks, more for their own vanity.
Old 2011-02-05, 15:32   Link #136
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Makeup is like clothing for me. I wouldn't go out in public naked, and I like to wear various different types of clothing (and thus, various different types of makeup as well).

I'm... not really sure I can make it any plainer than that!
Old 2011-02-05, 16:06   Link #137
Gin
*Artist

Quote:

Why do I like to wear short skirts?
Cuz they make ur ass look like whoa?
Old 2011-02-05, 16:10   Link #138
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Cuz they make ur ass look like whoa?
Yeah, they certainly do that.
Old 2011-02-05, 16:14   Link #139
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

If it looks better why not? Even a hot girl looks nicer with make-up on. I have yet to meet a women that's somehow hotter without make-up(at my age most tend to know how to properly apply make-up). People seem to think make-up equals wearing a mask.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-05, 17:51   Link #140
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
If you look good without, you look better with it. So without is the better choice, since it means you take care of yourself. Of course people will look better with makeup, but generally most guys won't like it if you put so much on you're like a circus attraction.