Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-25, 12:51   Link #21
Tenchi Hou Take

ROFL ODA

Credits to cr. brennen.exe @ AP
Posting because of how hilariously awesome it is.
Old 2011-05-25, 13:04   Link #22
ZeroForever

hmm, i was hoping for the actual reveal of the killer...
given the set up it could be almost anyone which was obviously the point but i was hoping for clear hints at least... probably some chekove's gun i missed somewhere...

random note, that cookie with the fish person is awesome =)
Old 2011-05-25, 13:05   Link #23
marvelB

Yup, this was a great chapter, all right. I especially loved the Decken scenes (he's actually kinda starting to remind me of Buggy, somewhat ). And yes, the princes were awesome, too. Otohime's death was quite the touching scene, though the identity of her killer still remains a mystery.......

Anyways, going back to the sea king argument, I feel kinda silly having to point this out again, but it was specifically said that sea kings can literally be as big as entire islands. Furthermore, there's a pretty damn huge advantage to having an underwater island being guarded by those titanic beasts. Now true, we've seen some individuals who are capable of destroying islands themselves (Whitebeard (and Blackbeard now that he has his power), Eneru, and I suppose any of the admirals), but the seawater weakness (and heck, just the water pressure alone) would work against those guys. So again, making Shirahoshi the island's new guardian would actually work out quite well!

In fact, something just occurred to me: If the island truly does get destroyed, why not move the entire population on top of the biggest sea king(s) that Shirahoshi can find? It could work because that would allow for a mobile island that can travel to and from the surface as often as the residents please. It would also be a neat way for Otohime's dream for human/merfolk relations to finally become realized......

Edit: Oh, and that's a neat catch with that fish-lady! Now we just need an octopus-man who resembles that shipwright doodle that Luffy made at Water 7......
Old 2011-05-25, 13:08   Link #24
Slayerx

I'm putting my money on Hodi at this point as the killer.
Honestly, he seems like the only suspect at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi Hou Take View Post
ROFL ODA

HAHA! that IS brilliant
ah, one of the reasons i love oda

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
It doesn't matter if it can't counteract against a direct order. All the WG needs to do is get an Admiral down to Fishman Island (on a small ship protected with their anti-Sea King technology), and the fight is over.
you over estimate the anti-sea king tech.
the Anti-sea-king coating helps the ships avoid detection but it is far from perfect. If you recall when the Vice admiral went to see Boa Hancock, He pointed out that even though they are avoiding detection, if they just sit in one place the sea king would eventually take notice. And they DID as he had to kill atleast one sea king to to protect this ship... I doubt that tech will be all that useful underwater espeically with Shirahoshi pointing out and ordering the seakings to attack

What makes matters so bad is that even the admirals will have difficulty protecting themselves as the ship coating is very fragile... one good attack from either side and can pop the bubble and sink them.

Quote:
The Van Decken sections of this weeks chapter were hysterical. Btw, just what is Van Decken anyway?
He's a japanese bullshark fishman...
Though its odd seeing how he doesn't seem to bare much resembalance to one unlike other fishmen... like what does he have 4 legs?
Old 2011-05-25, 13:09   Link #25
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
ROFL ODA

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA thats frickin' hilarious alright!

Props to Oda on that one
Old 2011-05-25, 13:26   Link #26
Amirali
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Amirali
Quote:
It doesn't matter if it can't counteract against a direct order. All the WG needs to do is get an Admiral down to Fishman Island (on a small ship protected with their anti-Sea King technology), and the fight is over.
While that might work, it's a risk. If a patrol of fishmen were to notice them (and it is fishmen territory, which they know intimately), then they could order the ship attacked by a horde of sea kings. I doubt even an admiral could make ensure his ship survives such an attack underwater.

Let me put it this way - a blockade of sea-kings backed up by tight fishman patrol wouldn't stop the WG making an assault (and probably winning even), if they absolutely had to. But the risk for expensive casualties, including hard-to-replace top tiers, makes me think they would generally leave fishman island alone as long as they didn't stir up resistance elsewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
Even if you a Admiral on board, I have my doubts they could handle a organized group of sea kings especially underwater.
Taking out the odd sea king here or there is totally different from a group determined to take you out.
Agreed. As we saw during Luffy's encounter with the Kraken, the major worry is the bubble breaking. The sea kings don't have to kill a top-tier one on one, they just have to damage the ship enough.
Old 2011-05-25, 14:00   Link #27
ellifeedn
Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
In fact, something just occurred to me: If the island truly does get destroyed, why not move the entire population on top of the biggest sea king(s) that Shirahoshi can find? It could work because that would allow for a mobile island that can travel to and from the surface as often as the residents please. It would also be a neat way for Otohime's dream for human/merfolk relations to finally become realized......
That just screams "Giant Turtle" island.
Old 2011-05-25, 14:00   Link #28
Battler-kun

Boring chapter...Oda is overusing these tearjerking dramatic scenes.
Old 2011-05-25, 14:07   Link #29
Kafriel
Senior Guest

More of a tragedy than a tearjerker if you ask me, we already knew that Otohime would die anyway.
Old 2011-05-25, 14:25   Link #30
SoFarGone
H.A.M.

anyone think that the casket thing can also shrink Shirahoshi instead of making someone bigger?
Old 2011-05-25, 14:37   Link #31
marvelB

^Actually, I was sorta thinking that the casket might be referring to Bonney's devil fruit. After all, Oda has a policy about keeping non-DF related magic out of the series......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battler-kun View Post
Boring chapter...Oda is overusing these tearjerking dramatic scenes.

No offense, but to me, this post just screams "HUURRRR, MORE PLOT??? ME WANT ACTION NOW".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
That just screams "Giant Turtle" island.

Yes, I knew Naruto would jump right to people's minds as as soon as I brought up that suggestion. However, what I actually had in mind when I made that post was Crocus chilling out in Laboon's belly, believe it or not. I still think living on top of a giant sea monster isn't all that implausible, however.....
Old 2011-05-25, 14:42   Link #32
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
This arc needs to end already. Seriously. Main thing here now is that Shirahoshi can/might be able to control Sea Kings.
Old 2011-05-25, 14:47   Link #33
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
This arc needs to end already. Seriously. Main thing here now is that Shirahoshi can/might be able to control Sea Kings.
We also have possible Poneglyph, Island destruction etc.
Old 2011-05-25, 15:09   Link #34
ellifeedn
Thinker

Quote:
Yes, I knew Naruto would jump right to people's minds as as soon as I brought up that suggestion. However, what I actually had in mind when I made that post was Crocus chilling out in Laboon's belly, believe it or not. I still think living on top of a giant sea monster isn't all that implausible, however.....
I wasn't thinking of Naruto. The turtle island thing is older than that.
Old 2011-05-25, 15:10   Link #35
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post

Yeah sure, let's end this storyline already! Nevermind the decade+ long amount of buildup it had, or loose ends like Tiger and Arlong's legacy, Otohime's dream, the poneglyph, Shirley's prediction, the world nobles, or..... y'know, the huge ongoing racial conflict between humanity and fish-people. Nope, all of that stuff's irrelevant because all that's important is that pretty-pretty princess will become NEXT NAKAMA!

Ahem.... anyways, the flashback might not be over yet (though it's obviously very close to ending). I could see Jinbei elaborating on some more recent events like the formation of the new merman pirates (since he still has yet to explain why he doesn't want Luffy and Hody to clash), or even Big Mom's offer to protect the island in Whitebeard's place. We also still don't know the whereabouts of other former Sun pirates like Aladdin......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
I wasn't thinking of Naruto. The turtle island thing is older than that.

I know, but Naruto will inevitably jump into most people's minds, anyway. Just like how that was the first thing that jumped into their minds when the timeskip was confirmed (despite there being several better examples of mediums that used that particular literary device to great effect).....
Old 2011-05-25, 15:58   Link #36
james0246

Quote:
Ahem.... anyways, the flashback might not be over yet (though it's obviously very close to ending). I could see Jinbei elaborating on some more recent events like the formation of the new merman pirates (since he still has yet to explain why he doesn't want Luffy and Hody to clash), or even Big Mom's offer to protect the island in Whitebeard's place. We also still don't know the whereabouts of other former Sun pirates like Aladdin......
We don't really need a flashback to address these points. Jinbei could simply tell Luffy why Hodi is off limits, and the formation of the pirates is more Hodi's story anyway. The whereabouts of the other Sun Pirates is kind of unimportant to the current story. And Big Mom's protection can just as easily be explained later when she actually makes an appearance.

Beside a brief shot of Otohime's funeral, and a few reaction pages of growing racism now that she is dead, there isn't much left to cover (unless Oda wants to reveal something about Hodi during this flashback and not a later briefer one) in order to catch up to the current storyline.
Old 2011-05-25, 16:05   Link #37
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I wonder if we'll find out who Otohime's murderer is in the final stages of the flashback, or during the present timeline.

But yeah, i ;_____;.

Quote:
ROFL ODA

Hahaha brilliant. I wish i could give Oda a pat on the back for this.
Old 2011-05-25, 16:15   Link #38
Tenchi Hou Take

Quote:
We don't really need a flashback to address these points. Jinbei could simply tell Luffy why Hodi is off limits, and the formation of the pirates is more Hodi's story anyway. The whereabouts of the other Sun Pirates is kind of unimportant to the current story. And Big Mom's protection can just as easily be explained later when she actually makes an appearance.
Lol isn't that the reason we had a flash in the first place. I'd be completely pointless if Jimbei simply told them now.
Old 2011-05-25, 17:37   Link #39
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Even though I knew it was coming, Otohime's death still felt kind of... abrupt. So, who might her killer be? VDD (unlikely)? Hodi? A former member of the Sun pirate (I like the idea that it's Aladdin)? Someone working for the government (CP9 or whatever)? The list of suspects is huge, considering how many people on both sides would never accept peace between fishmen and humans.

Quote:
ROFL ODA

Hahaha oh wow
Old 2011-05-25, 23:39   Link #40
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE
Y'know... I'm starting to think about the whole "Shirahosi joining the Strawhats" thing. Oda seemed to draw alot of attention to that machine that changes young fishmen to mature fishmen...

I'm thinking maybe something will happen that will put that into reverse, causing her to shrink. Haven't thought through the details yet~