AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-10-04, 10:42   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 641 (manga)

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

And so, after a chapterless week, a new spoiler arrives (early, at that!) However, as aohige wasn't around to do translations yet, credit this time around goes to CCC from APforums:

-Chapter title is "What are you?" The ministory features Alabasta's benevolent king Cobra, who is ill in bed, with Vivi and (apparently) Igaram by his side.

-Noah continues its descent towards merman isle. Luffy intends to destroy the massive ark before it destroys the underwater paradise, but Fukaboshi objects, saying that the ark is an important key to the future. As the two argue, Shirahoshi approaches the ship herself. Hody attempts to slay her again, but prince Manboshi blocks the assault. Luffy attacks Hody as well, but the shark counters him by biting his shoulder through the bubble (which doesn't pop, surprisingly!). Fukaboshi joins in on the fight as well. The eldest prince then asks the crazed shark why he has such a powerful hatred towards humanity. Jones answers, but us readers don't hear the details just yet......

-Fukaboshi, Luffy, and Shira then swim alongside Noah, but Jones intercepts them with Kirisame. Fuka then says to Luffy that they finally fully understand Hody Jones' true character......

Hmmm, so now we're about to get some insight into Jones' past, eh? Sounds interesting, but I doubt it'll really change the fact that he's still a loser. I also like how he's somehow unable to pop a bubble in his overdosed form despite him destroying a ship with his teeth alone back when he was first introduced.

And as for the ministory, I wonder if Cobra's illness is a really serious one? If so, perhaps this means he may actually pass away by the time the Reverie begins? If so, Vivi's going to have a heck of a lot more responsibilities shoved on her as she ascends the throne......

Last edited by marvelB; 2011-10-04 at 11:29.
Old 2011-10-04, 11:18   Link #2
game2007

I know this is nitpicking, but it's actually spelled ark.

Just ignore me...
Old 2011-10-04, 11:22   Link #3
james0246

This seems like an extraordinarily stupid way of revealing Hody's past. Why couldn't we simply hear (read) what he said? The revelation better be pretty amazing in order to purposely keep us in the dark for no apparent reason (is Hody a human/fishmen hybrid? Is he Tiger's son?)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
And as for the ministory, I wonder if Cobra's illness is a really serious one? If so, perhaps this means he may actually pass away by the time the Reverie begins? If so, Vivi's going to have a heck of a lot more responsibilities shoved on her as she ascends the throne......
Cobra doesn't have to die in order for Vivi to go in his place...
Old 2011-10-04, 11:34   Link #4
marvelB

And just like clockwork, I'm already seeing people jump to the "Hody will be redeemed and become Luffy's nakama" theory at other forums. Yep, nothing like a good ol'-fashioned sob story to make Luffy forgive a racist merman's attempted genocide and invite him to his crew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by game2007 View Post
I know this is nitpicking, but it's actually spelled ark.

Just ignore me...

lol, I actually knew that (and even spelled it the "correct" way in previous threads), but I guess in my hasty typing I ended misspelling it this time around! Well, I fixed my post regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Why couldn't we simply hear (read) what he said? The revelation better be pretty amazing in order to purposely keep us in the dark for no apparent reason (is Hody a human/fishmen hybrid? Is he Tiger's son?)...

Well, aohige slightly revised the earlier translation a short while ago, and this was Fukaboshi's line at the end:

Quote:
Fukaboshi: Can you hear me, Straw Hat!? We know now who Hody Jones truly is!!

So take that as you will. He could be Tiger's son, Neptune's illegitimate offspring, Usopp's long-lost second cousin, twice removed, etc....

Quote:
Cobra doesn't have to die in order for Vivi to go in his place...

Well maybe not, but I guess we need to actually see the page before we judge Cobra's condition ourselves. Either way, it's definitely looking like Vivi's going to be taking a more active role in Alabasta's politics.....

Last edited by marvelB; 2011-10-04 at 11:57.
Old 2011-10-04, 13:01   Link #5
Rainbowman

Mini story: Cobra falling ill? Never saw that coming.

Main Story: Now this is quite a prediciment, a choice on which is to be destroyed, Fishman Island or the Noah. And the chapter ends about to reveal who Hody really is. Can't wait for next week.
Old 2011-10-04, 13:59   Link #6
marvelB

Well, the chinese scans are out now. This is most definitely an action-packed chapter. I especially liked seeing Fukaboshi fighting back against Hody (he even used the same technique that Neptune used at the palace!). And of course, Luffy's smacking him around as usual (BTW, one thing that the spoiler summary didn't mention is that he actually breaks Jones' sword fin thing during the fight). Looks like it won't be too long before the english release.....

Oh, and as for the ministory: Cobra doesn't look that sick, actually. However, he IS looking a lot like Rayleigh in that scene.
Old 2011-10-04, 19:35   Link #7
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Why is Naruto/Bleach out already and OP still not?

Despite the fact that OP is more popular and there wasn't a chapter last week...
Old 2011-10-04, 19:39   Link #8
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
Why is Naruto/Bleach out already and OP still not?

Despite the fact that OP is more popular and there wasn't a chapter last week...
Because Bleach and Naruto are more popular than One Piece in America.
Old 2011-10-04, 21:57   Link #9
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
^ That isn't true.

I know plenty of people from all over (Canada, Hong Kong, England, Australia) who have dropped Bleach or Bleach and Naruto and still keeping up with One Piece. I highly doubt that Bleach is still more popular than One Piece internationally (even when you discount Japan).

Also, One Piece usually comes out before both anyway. Its just today that its so late for some reason..
Old 2011-10-05, 00:25   Link #10
ashesatdusk

Send a message via AIM to ashesatdusk
^ your right except he wasn't talking about Hongkong or Canada. He was talking about America. Are you from Vancouver or something?

You are also right that OP usually comes out simultaneously with the other two. or before it. Claymore also seems late.
Old 2011-10-05, 00:37   Link #11
Shingai-san

One Piece is the best selling manga of all time but like the above poster said he was speaking of America, Naruto has about 1 million more sales in America than OP the last time I checked and Bleach has like 200k less.

Ararararagi
Old 2011-10-05, 00:46   Link #12
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
Also, One Piece usually comes out before both anyway. Its just today that its so late for some reason..
Actually, no. We often get the spoilers for One Piece earlier than the other series, but we seldom get scans before the other series. Whether it is because Naruto is more popular in America or not, I cannot say with any certainty (honestly, it probably has to do with translators and teams being more willing to produce sub-par translations in order to get quick releases (this problem has often plagued the Naruto raws)), but historically (lol) One Piece has always been translated later than the others (though in the last year the difference in release has been in hours not days as it used to be).
Old 2011-10-05, 04:06   Link #13
ronin myael
lost ronin

chapter's out...

looks like luffy still needs to strengthen his haki. it's good that he hasn't gotten so overpowered that hody couldn't even put a dent on his haki armor.

so hody has a true form other than his pre-fishman steroids form? the next chapter should be interesting.

Quote:
Because Bleach and Naruto are more popular than One Piece in America.
true. even in my country naruto is more popular. but in other parts of asia, especially japan and korea, one piece reigns supreme.
Old 2011-10-05, 04:29   Link #14
d' airscapez
stranded in new york

random theory, is it possible the future purpose of the Noah is to take luffy on the journey to one piece? haha
Old 2011-10-05, 04:37   Link #15
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

True that Luffy's armor haki isn't perfect enough to stop Hody's bite but had they been on land he would have easily dodge it. The thing is that while Hody got a power-up in the sea he still isn't strong enough to fight Luffy, he's just lucky that Luffy can't leave the bubble and move freely.

And Goddamn just blow the arc apart...what is wrong with these people?
Millions of lives > Some stupid old promise

Quote:
Originally Posted by d' airscapez View Post
random theory, is it possible the future purpose of the Noah is to take luffy on the journey to one piece? haha
Sunny and Franky's dream can't be achieved if Luffy just ups and uses some other ship to reach OP
Old 2011-10-05, 04:53   Link #16
randomlex
In the eye of the storm

I find it interesting that Luffy said his Armor Haki "still" isn't strong enough to withstand a cut - doesn't that imply that with more training, he should be able to just shrug off shark bites and by definition, other sharp objects, like swords? That would definitely settle the Zoro vs Luffy dispute
Old 2011-10-05, 05:03   Link #17
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Luffy's haki comment is certainly quite interesting. Oda sure knows how to tease we readers.

Jones true character? That's a pretty interesting cliffhanger.

Regarding this weeks ministory, personally i just think Oda might be slightly hinting at Vivi taking over Alabasta eventually. That, or he just wants to show us that Cobra's age is finally catching upto him . Either way, i wouldn't be surprised if there's more to this ministory in the future.
Old 2011-10-05, 05:09   Link #18
golgo13

wonder if its possible to adjust the trajectory and have the ark carry the island..
Old 2011-10-05, 05:18   Link #19
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgo13 View Post
wonder if its possible to adjust the trajectory and have the ark carry the island..
Since the arc is currently falling then carrying the island would be.......a very bad thing too.
Old 2011-10-05, 06:26   Link #20
marvelB

The fact that Luffy commented on his CoA Haki not being strong enough to withstand Hody's bite pretty much validated what I've been saying all along about him not being at the level to take on an admiral/emperor just yet. As I figured, he's still got some ways to go.....

Anyway, I don't have too much more to add from my previous comments, so I guess I'll just throw out a couple (zany) theories for now:

1. The "great man" that Neptune mentioned in his speech about Noah's history is probably "Joy Boy" from the poneglyph.

2. Regarding Hody's "true identity..... I'm gonna put my money on the guess that, much like how Decken is descended from a legendary pirate, Hody is a descendant of Davy Jones. I'm also guessing that means that he's also of a "cursed" bloodline, but rather than the curse coming from a DF, it's because he has human blood running through his veins. So yes, I'm thinking that Hody's a human.fish-person halfbreed who wants revenge against both races (much like how Voldemort from the Harry Potter series wants to eliminate muggles and halfblood wizards from existence, despite being a "mudblood" himself).....

So again, those theories are pretty zany (particularly the second one), but I'd definitely say they aren't outside the realm of impossibility.
Closed Thread