AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-02-27, 18:41   Link #41
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starks
What about YuGiOH, they tried...
Yeah, that's exactly why NOW there's a 0% chance.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2006-02-27, 20:47   Link #42
movax
Hosar Sub-God

Send a message via ICQ to movax Send a message via AIM to movax Send a message via MSN to movax Send a message via Yahoo to movax
Whoever the OP was...you owe me a glass of vodka. I choked and spit that stuff out when I read the thread topic. Surely you can't expect the fansubbing community to come together under article of confederation? 1. You need an evil oppressor nation like Britain to confederate against, 2. Status quo seems to be working, other than the occasional inner-group squabble. Leechers are getting their anime, series are being subbed, etc...
Old 2006-02-27, 20:53   Link #43
CelesAurivern
Mein Kampf :D
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy
I don't think you understand. It's been licensed by 4kids. There's a 0% chance of an uncut, subtitled release of this series on R1 DVD at this point. You'd be waiting for something that'd never appear.
But what the heck. You already finished season one with the R2 ripz, right?
The people who really care can get those.
Old 2006-02-27, 20:53   Link #44
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
Quote:
Originally Posted by movax
Whoever the OP was...you owe me a glass of vodka. I choked and spit that stuff out when I read the thread topic. Surely you can't expect the fansubbing community to come together under article of confederation? 1. You need an evil oppressor nation like Britain to confederate against, 2. Status quo seems to be working, other than the occasional inner-group squabble. Leechers are getting their anime, series are being subbed, etc...
I wasn't serious... I was mocking Lythka.
Old 2006-02-27, 21:12   Link #45
N-Bomb
King of Braves
*Fansubber

Quote:
I honestly don't think his/her post was that far fetched. Sure it's more of an ideal than reality might allow, but it's still something that we could certainly do worse than strive for. If only more people were of a like mind.
Old 2006-02-27, 21:27   Link #46
SpecterVR
Calming Everyday Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy
I don't think you understand. It's been licensed by 4kids. There's a 0% chance of an uncut, subtitled release of this series on R1 DVD at this point. You'd be waiting for something that'd never appear.
Minus the "dubtitles", I thought Funi was releasing these? I haven't exactly been paying attention to them (since they are yu-gi-oh after all, who really cares), but I was quite sure, last I checked.
Old 2006-02-28, 00:18   Link #47
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecterVR
Minus the "dubtitles", I thought Funi was releasing these? I haven't exactly been paying attention to them (since they are yu-gi-oh after all, who really cares), but I was quite sure, last I checked.
4kids has really weird metrics by which they judge whether releases should be done or continue.

I think they canned proper Yu-Gi-Oh releases because their mangled version wasn't selling well. Funi has tried in the past to get them to do uncut releases of their shows, but 4kids is full of people who are focused on milking every last cent from the parents of young children.

Were the rest of the regular R1 market doing better, they might reconsider.
Old 2006-02-28, 08:43   Link #48
LytHka
Banned

Quote:
/elitist face on
/whois Starks
/elitist face off
Old 2006-02-28, 08:58   Link #49
Soluzar

Send a message via AIM to Soluzar Send a message via MSN to Soluzar Send a message via Yahoo to Soluzar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecterVR
They stopped after about 5 volumes, IIRC. Unless they are just proceeding at a glacial pace, and I'm not aware.
Old 2006-02-28, 11:05   Link #50
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soluzar
They stopped after about 5 volumes, IIRC. Unless they are just proceeding at a glacial pace, and I'm not aware.
Yes, and they were supposed to restart them recently. FUNi attributed it to "Contract issues".
Old 2006-02-28, 12:24   Link #51
Soluzar

Send a message via AIM to Soluzar Send a message via MSN to Soluzar Send a message via Yahoo to Soluzar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab
Yes, and they were supposed to restart them recently. FUNi attributed it to "Contract issues".
Personally, I'm rather fond of Yu-Gi-Oh, in spite of what anyone might think, but I'm more than content to settle for the manga, as long as FUNi and 4Kids keep blocking the uncut DVDs. If they don't want more of my money, I'm not going to force them.
Old 2006-02-28, 13:21   Link #52
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
Quote:
as long as FUNi and 4Kids keep blocking the uncut DVDs.
I'm fairly sure that it's all 4Kids' fault. FUNi has not been slow to get and release anything they could get their hands on.
Old 2006-03-10, 05:49   Link #53
complich8
Fansubber Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to complich8
Ages back (or it seems like ages ago, anyway), in the heyday of mircx, a large group of fansub group leaders formed a couple channels to facilitate communication and coordination between groups, and generally try to make the community a better, more efficient place.

It was nice for a while... until we all realized that we had no sense of mutual respect, and the leaders of that group were intentionally excluding groups they thought weren't worthy of being privy to the information of the "good" groups. And we couldn't agree on anything, because nobody wanted to give up random projects, and everyone wanted to do the same things.

It stayed a nice place to hang out for a while, but as more people found out about it, it degenerated, badly. Then I stopped showing up there, and a lot of other people who were there left the community entirely for one reason or another.

Such attempts at defining even informal agreements or rules of engagement hinge on mutual respect, and that's something that I believe the Internet inherently undermines. An Internet-resident community is virtually bankrupt of that currency -- a concept that the first page of this thread makes painfully evident.

And ... umm ... how did this become a thread about Yu-Gi-Oh and pretty cure after that? That's so .... umm....
Old 2006-03-10, 08:49   Link #54
ScR3WiEuS
My E-Penis > Your E-Penis
*Fansubber

i have to agree with complich8. channels were created for that purpose, even before mircx ( aniverse, enterthegame, etc ), but they never really served their purpose. they may have become a cool place to hang out, but imho, quite useless to the fansubbing community. well, perhaps like lythka already mentioned earlier, some of those channels have become a place where fansubbers can socialize, get to know each other. and when fansubbers get along, groups will get along. i think that better relations between the fansubbers, will automatically lead to better relations between the groups. irc is filled with useless fueds, brought on by intolerance. irc is NOT a serious place. like getfresh and other subbers have mentioned, the fansubbing scene has become too 'pro'. people who take themselves seriously on irc should be shot. this intolerance is what causes most problems for the fansubbing community. there are of course some assholes running loose, but most fights are a result of intolerance and misunderstanding. irc is not a perfect communication tool, one can never perfectly bring across his message. people are bound to be misunderstood on irc.

these should be the only rule in the fansubbing scene:
- no intolerance, prejudice

you can not possibly say you hate someone just because he said something you don't like.

to a majority of the fansubbers out there: Stop behaving like 5 year old children
Old 2006-03-10, 09:31   Link #55
LytHka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScR3WiEuS
people are bound to be misunderstood on irc.
They are surely gonna be even more misunderstood on forums. Most people just skim over posts. I've tried my best to make my posts similar to 'official statements' (this is a resulting habit of posting with people who *did* read every post word by word) but I can't help people who can't read and I'm certainly not going to point that out everytime someone misreads them(and it's been happening a lot lately).

Anyway, ya, the scene is too 'pro'. People should lighten up.

Forums such as this suck: You can't make friends over forums such as this, only enemies.

IRC is a *better* communication tool: On IRC, you can make friends, ... but also enemies.

Therefore: IRC > forums.
Old 2006-03-10, 10:16   Link #56
Obi-Wan
Hello there
*Fansubber

Yeah but IRC has a buncha noobs and morons, morons who couldn't register for this forum because when asked to verify their password in registration, they'd already forgotten what the original password was.

I agree with ScR3WiEuS, there is a buncha bullshit on IRC that prevents it from being a good communications tool. Forums are better because they can at least be moderated and filter out all the bullshit, but you would need unbiased mods and good luck finding people like that.
Old 2006-03-10, 13:30   Link #57
bastard-sama
The Bastard

I disagree i think its harder for people to figure out how to download an irc client and connect to irc and learn irc commands then to figure out how to use a webbrowser and find a forum... and there is 'moderation' on irc
Old 2006-03-10, 15:23   Link #58
Obi-Wan
Hello there
*Fansubber

IRC is by no means hard to use. There are easy-to-follow guides on how to set it up and download. It takes a real idiot to not be able to use IRC. Usually the people who say IRC sucks and they can't use it are the people who refuse to try.

Yeah, IRC can be modded at the expense of banning or silencing a lot of people with +m. Not really efficient IMO because it lets anyone with @ grow a 10 foot e-penis.
Old 2006-03-10, 16:47   Link #59
bastard-sama
The Bastard

well the same can be said for moderators on a forum but people who dont read how to use irc from the millions of websites out there that will teach basics are about the same level as forgetting how to type your password in twice as you have said...
Old 2006-03-10, 16:55   Link #60
uLTraCarL-
Planet uLTraCarL Inc
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to uLTraCarL- Send a message via AIM to uLTraCarL-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan
Yeah, IRC can be modded at the expense of banning or silencing a lot of people with +m. Not really efficient IMO because it lets anyone with @ grow a 10 foot e-penis.
one must be skilled in the art of being a good op.

The Chronicles of uLTraCarL .. Youtube connection
[Ht] Hostile Takeover #hostile @ irc.gamesurge.net .. Anime-Kraze #anime-kraze @ irc.rizon.net
Closed Thread