AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: Have you ever had an online relationship?
No, never. 157 67.38%
Yes, and it sucked/sucks. 20 8.58%
Yes, it was quite ok, but we finally split up. 30 12.88%
Yes, we're still together (online only). 14 6.01%
Yes, we're still in love and even live together now. 12 5.15%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-07-21, 20:53   Link #81
KongZilla
Sugar_Prayer <333

Location: Living on a remote island somewhere in the South Pacific
There's a member that I like and confessed to here and she accepted my feelings. She's really happy about it since this is the first time someone likes her and I truly think she's someone special. I will add that we live far apart too.
KongZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 22:21   Link #82
rubylucario

Heh... Online dating... I was once in a relationship. I actually fell in love with the person I was dating buuut... I found out she liked another guy while she was with me.. Haha... Yeah. Quite a story for my side. Not hers. Oh well.
rubylucario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 22:41   Link #83
Lil' Wayne

I thought this thread was about E-Harmony kinds of websites where you setup matches online. I know a lot of people who are in very tight relationships with the people they found doing that, I'm really happy for them. In fact, everyone I know who has met someone that way has pretty much broken the stereotype that it doesn't work correctly.

But on exclusive online relationships, I don't necessarily believe in it. However, I'm a very biased jury on that issue, as every relationship I've ever had was short and mostly physical, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Although, I would be short witted if I said that relationships had to be physical, even remotely physical. Attraction is attraction, and to anyone who is in a healthy online relationship, I commend you. That's an extremely unique choice to make. I could never, ever do that but I'm not everyone, fortunately.
Lil' Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 22:47   Link #84
KongZilla
Sugar_Prayer <333

This member that I like will be away for two weeks in camp... T_T

I have to be honest that one should not expect too much from an online relationship. I have to agree with a friend of mine who told me that an online relationship works as well as an actual relationship minus the whole physical contact thing.
Old 2009-07-21, 22:58   Link #85
Theowne
耳をすませば

Personally I've always felt like the internet would probably be a more likely place to meet a "soul mate". Because real life is constricted by geography, you only have a chance to know people who come across you in your life, whereas the internet is populated by millions of people, meaning you'll have a greater chance of coming across someone who is perfect for you.

Now I'm not going to get into the whole " distance relationship" or "virtual vs. physical" or "how long until you meet in real life" part of things. But just in terms of finding someone who shares your interests and complements your personality or hobbies, the internet gives you a far bigger sample to pick from. How long have I spent in "real life" hoping the next day I'll just happen to bump into someone who happens to be the perfect match for me. Needless to say, it's highly unlikely.

And we don't necessarily mean "romantic" relationships, right? Because I think for similar reasons, the internet is a good place to make friends who have the same interests as you, because as much as I like my friends from my "real life", for some reason they don't want to analyze "Cross Game" with me every week

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-21, 23:29   Link #86
Let'sFightingLove
So right I'm left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mai Tokiha View Post
There's a member that I like and confessed to here and she accepted my feelings. She's really happy about it since this is the first time someone likes her and I truly think she's someone special. I will add that we live far apart too.
Doooooooooooooom'd
Let'sFightingLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-22, 00:24   Link #87
KongZilla
Sugar_Prayer <333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Let'sFightingLove View Post
Doooooooooooooom'd
Well, that is one problem when it comes to online relationships...

But being far apart that makes the bond stronger in my opinion. Love knows no bounds! ^_^

She's happy that someone confessed to her! She is someone special and different than most people I know online or in real life! ^_^

Last edited by KongZilla; 2009-07-22 at 00:37.
Old 2009-07-22, 21:05   Link #88
Fate21
Kiyu~

I agree with Theowne
Fate21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-22, 21:10   Link #89
Cut-Tongue
ボクサッチ!

met my wife on a personals site, moved out to seattle and got married. on the other hand, met a couple of crazies on the net, too
Cut-Tongue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-22, 21:12   Link #90
CMSensei
Formerly -> CMHerrera
*Graphic Designer

Location: In a land where Shota's and Bishounens live in a vast land full of suger filled meadows.
online relationships..

IMO the good thing about meeting a person online is you might meet a person with your interests... but then again.. wouldn't be alot harder to get together in real life?

CM-san's Mystical Creations

"The one who can win
against me, is me!"

- Daiki Aomine
CMSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-22, 21:18   Link #91
KongZilla
Sugar_Prayer <333

And to be honest... alot of people I meet online are friendlier than the ones I meet in real life
Old 2009-07-22, 21:27   Link #92
TinyRedLeaf
Feeling comfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mai Tokiha View Post
And to be honest... alot of people I meet online are friendlier than the ones I meet in real life
All the more reason to be wary.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-22, 21:31   Link #93
KongZilla
Sugar_Prayer <333

I know, lah... XP

But what I'm trying to say is that online, I can meet more people who shares the same interest as I do since its rare to find such people in real life. I've met only a few anime fans in real life.
Old 2009-07-22, 21:44   Link #94
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
Personally I've always felt like the internet would probably be a more likely place to meet a "soul mate". Because real life is constricted by geography, you only have a chance to know people who come across you in your life, whereas the internet is populated by millions of people, meaning you'll have a greater chance of coming across someone who is perfect for you.

Now I'm not going to get into the whole " distance relationship" or "virtual vs. physical" or "how long until you meet in real life" part of things. But just in terms of finding someone who shares your interests and complements your personality or hobbies, the internet gives you a far bigger sample to pick from. How long have I spent in "real life" hoping the next day I'll just happen to bump into someone who happens to be the perfect match for me. Needless to say, it's highly unlikely.

And we don't necessarily mean "romantic" relationships, right? Because I think for similar reasons, the internet is a good place to make friends who have the same interests as you, because as much as I like my friends from my "real life", for some reason they don't want to analyze "Cross Game" with me every week
I strongly agree with Theowne. In a way, the internet is a place where you can be yourself. People will just like you because of who you are. They won't judge you based on things you can't change like physical looks.

Yes, you can meet people and make friends with them because of the same interests. It's nice knowing more people.

I honestly will not get into one though despite knowing these good factors.

It's time to start letting her make her own decisions. - Mom's dermatologist~
Throne Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-23, 04:33   Link #95
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
thing is with online relationships:
its all funny and sweet until you're like a couple months or maybe a year later and you realize you want to draw your attentions into doing other things on the internet than just spend it to this person daily/every hours that you're behind the computer, if there's a game you really like and want to play it feels restricted that you have to keep recon with the other person because he/she is waiting to talk to you online and will prob start thinking "omg this person pays more attention to other things than to me" which would leave them with a "there's something wrong with our relationship" feeling. It is a lot different when you are able to see a person in RL cause then the time you have for yourself can be spend to yourself, specially if that time is spend to the internet

secondly saying things online is way easier than saying them in RL, when you meet the guy/girl things get a lot different, for instance you always feel like the person you've chatted to is different from the person you've just met. secondly online you don't get to deal with possible annoyances this person has that can leave you with the feeling that you want to rip their heads off, for instance I met a friend of mine this summer we went to London together, where he lives, just to have some fun but no relationship whatsoever I must add that, I've known him for about 3 years and when I met him it was almost a completely different person than what I expected him to be, I had a vague image but that was all shattered when I found out he doesn't like the more healthy kind of food that I adore, he was very rude to other people and blamed it on being British humor while I was scared that someone would just beat him up (like they would in my country) and he found me weird because I behave differently due to a difference in culture and was clearly annoyed by that, or simply found it strange.

That is what you have to keep recon with, a girl can say a hell of a lot of things to you online and not mean them in real life because she is a lot shyer then, remember that typing things is a lot easier than doing them, people on the internet are a lot less shy than in RL

as for hobbies etc. I too find there are many people online that share my interests and not in RL, it depends ont eh region you life in and the people you meet, its easier to meet people online than in RL and it can be hard to locate a person in RL to share interests with. I just tend to make other people addicted to what I watch =P
-KarumA- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-25, 14:09   Link #96
~Rio~
Formula of Madness

Yes and it sucks! We've almost been together a year now though and have met four times, fifth meeting in August!
There are plans to eventually marry each other but I don't see it happening.
~Rio~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 16:23   Link #97
otakujohn

Online relationships are pretty absurd... I used to spend a lot of time in chat rooms when I was in college and had some decent friends, but I've never thought of e-dating anyone......that's just weird.
otakujohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 17:21   Link #98
Lio
Presence

Quote:
Originally Posted by otakujohn View Post
Online relationships are pretty absurd... I used to spend a lot of time in chat rooms when I was in college and had some decent friends, but I've never thought of e-dating anyone......that's just weird.
To be fair, you're a bit older than most of us here. The next generation is the world of e-networking (ex. the explosion of facebook, myspace, twitter). For better or for worse, technological advances can't be stopped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mai Tokiha
No pressure. No boundaries. People just say what they want over the internet without concern for much. A purely even field where the only things that matter are your mind and your heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA-
That is what you have to keep recon with, a girl can say a hell of a lot of things to you online and not mean them in real life because she is a lot shyer then, remember that typing things is a lot easier than doing them, people on the internet are a lot less shy than in RL
Yep. I remember talking about the difference between real-world and online personas. Some people think it's impossible to break down the barrier, but I've always tried to be as true to myself whether online or offline. I'm not a big fan of the whole online persona concept.
Lio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-26, 17:57   Link #99
otakujohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lio View Post
To be fair, you're a bit older than most of us here. The next generation is the world of e-networking (ex. the explosion of facebook, myspace, twitter). For better or for worse, technological advances can't be stopped.
Ironically, I'm actually an engineer for a technology company, and our hardware sits in front of Facebook.

I do have a Facebook account and have quite a few friends on the account, but they're all people that I've known for a long time, or people that I know through my workplace. I don't generally try to seek out people I don't know on Facebook, but I do end up talking to a lot of people I don't know very well through my friends. I just wouldn't use it to actually date anyone... I might agree to meet someone that one of my Facebook contacts recommends though, maybe.
otakujohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-27, 02:22   Link #100
aduckie

___________________________________--

Last edited by aduckie; 2013-05-02 at 01:09.
aduckie is offline   Reply With Quote