AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-12-06, 08:04   Link #1
NeoSam

Baccano!

バッカーノ!
BACCANO!

http://www.baccano.jp/

Based on a shounen light novel.

Based on a light novel thats published under the shounen light novel label Dengeki Bunko.
For now there are 9 volumes released of this light novel.

The covers can be seen here.

Author: Narita Ryohgo (成田良悟)
Illustrator: Enami Katsumi (エナミカツミ)

A shounen manga based on the light novel is starting in February 2007 issue of the shounen(boy's) manga magazine Dengeki Comic Gao!.

The manga is titled: Baccano! 1931 The Grand Punk Railroad

Genre: Shounen, Action

Last edited by NeoSam; 2007-02-14 at 04:04.
NeoSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-06, 09:02   Link #2
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

This looks rather interesting, especially the character design. I'd be interested in an appraisal from anyone who's read the novels.

EDIT: From what I can tell though from the website Baccano features an immortal alchemist, married thieves, Mafia siblings, demons and vampires set in 1930s America. Quite a combination.

Last edited by Sonhex; 2006-12-06 at 09:39.
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-06, 11:27   Link #3
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

@ Sonhex - Haha.. I already like it..

Strange can't access teh page.. oh well.. character designs look like total win for me..

When is it comin' ?? any dates announced.. :]
Old 2006-12-06, 11:47   Link #4
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Can't find an air date unfortunately. However I did find the homepage of the novel's cover artist Enami Katsumi. The guy is seriously talented and I hope he's doing the character designs. Sample:

Old 2006-12-06, 12:45   Link #5
NeoSam

Thanks Sonhex for the site of the illustrator ^^

I added these to the first post of the thread:

Author: Narita Ryohgo (成田良悟)
Illustrator: Enami Katsumi (エナミカツミ)

Not only an anime, but also a manga based on the light novel is also starting soon

A manga based on the light novel is starting in February 2007 issue of the shounen(boy's) manga magazine Dengeki Comic Gao!.

(I'm not so interested in adding the covers to the first post, unless someone asks for them :P ).
Old 2006-12-06, 18:08   Link #6
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Good news about the manga. It may give us hints as to the anime story (whether it's following the chronological order of the novels etc...).

The title is the Italian term for din or clamour (as in loud noise) apparently. Perhaps an Italian member can correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 2007-02-11, 15:20   Link #7
NeoSam

All the volumes of the shounen(boy's) light novel BACCANO! can be seen in the official site for the anime here:
http://www.baccano.jp/gensaku/index.html

Click on the images for bigger covers.

They are organized from left to right according to publication date meaning for now there are 9 volumes released, and the first BACCANO! light novel that got released is BACCANO! The Rolling Bootlegs.
Old 2007-02-14, 04:03   Link #8
NeoSam

The shounen manga thats based on the light novel is titled: Baccano! 1931 The Grand Punk Railroad
Old 2007-02-14, 05:01   Link #9
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex View Post
The title is the Italian term for din or clamour (as in loud noise) apparently. Perhaps an Italian member can correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm seeing this just now, hence the delayed reply. Anyway as for "Baccano", what you wrote is correct. I think that "din" is the most suiting translation, but a (very) Loud noise is correct too.

However, just a couple of related notes: while the term is indeed part of italian vocabulary, you really don't see that often that word in common language, a lot of synonims are used instead. Also, "baccano" tends to have a negative acception since it usually implies a complaint for the noise (otherwise one would likely use another term).
Lastly, a little shade: "baccano" not only indicates a loud noise, per se, but implies that it is generated by a certain group of peoples, as in "speaking at loud voice", but also as in working noisily. Seeing the given situation of this anime I can figure in example some works at a railroad (you know, with that continous noise of beating irons), whereas the association with "baccano" would be the most suiting one.

Back to the anime, my eyes were captured from the characters design, it's very peculiar, and somehow feels really adapt for the years the story takes place; the character mixture sounds intriguing too.
Old 2007-03-04, 06:22   Link #10
NeoSam

Some info about the shounen light novel Baccano! here:
http://easternstandard.pbwiki.com/Baccano!
Old 2007-03-20, 15:17   Link #11
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Teh website has been launched, we plenty of info and a decent look at the Takahiro Kishida (Noein character designer) character designs (based on Enami Katsumi covers). They look pretty close to the originals and that's good because that's what got me interested in the first place. Other new info, the show will be directed
by Takahiro Omori (director of Jigoku Shoujo), script by Noboru Takagi (also from Jigoku Shoujo) and the animation production by Brain's Base (Kamichu).

Story confirmed as being set in 1930s America, around the railroads, and concerns the search by a bunch of wierd and bizarre characters (alchemists,Mafia, lunatics, immortals and terrorists) for the 'immortal liquor' (immortality I guess). Generally sounds quite dark and crazy with a steampunk setting.

And the official blog sports some low-res screenshots of a PV which will be shown at the Tokyo Anime Fair apparently.

Last edited by Sonhex; 2007-03-20 at 15:36.
Old 2007-03-24, 10:09   Link #12
nubby

The characters look a lot like ones from Blood+...................................im looking forward to it.
nubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-25, 10:11   Link #13
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

First look at Baccano! in this screener (thanks again to Manuloz). Cool, I like what I see - it comes across as a gritty dark 1930s era crime thriller with plenty of gangster action and period detail (if you strain your ears you can just hear some ragtime) and some supernatural elements thrown in for good measure.

It's airing in July apparently, so will be in the Summer anime schedules.
Old 2007-03-25, 19:08   Link #14
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

I agree with Sonhex. This is actually pretty impressive. I liked the trailer and I'll be checking it out once it airs. The animation was suprisingly good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANN
Kamichu! producers and Aniplex join up to turn novel series into a TV Anime
The 2007 Tokyo International Anime Fair (TAF) held a focus panel this weekend that focuses on Narita Ryogo's popular novel series Baccano!. No network has been announced for the series yet, but series staff are hoping that the show will start broadcasting in Japan this July.

Baccano! is a crime drama set in prohibition era New York City. Currently 9 volumes of the novel series have been released, selling 450,000 volumes. Mr. Narita was in attendance at the panel, as was anime director Omori Takahiro. Anime production for the series will be handled by Brains-Base, who worked on the anime series Kamichu!

Aniplex first proposed making the series into an anime a few years ago. The process took quite a long time since other staff said the project was previously lacking focus. After seeing the initial scenes from the anime, Mr. Narita said that "I'm happy that the anime staff seems to have produced something more interesting than my original work", he said, laughing. "There's a lot of competition among manga and other media to create the best product out there. I hope I am able to write stories that are even more engaging in the future."
Looks like it's been in the works for a pretty long time.

Last edited by Haohmaru; 2007-03-25 at 21:37.
Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-26, 07:36   Link #15
NeoSam

That screener looked great, can't wait for this to begin
Old 2007-03-26, 14:00   Link #16
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Aye, and looks even better in a decent version (PV from the website), direct link here (19mb). Love the groovy music.

There's no cast info yet, but I'm sure I heard Keiji Fujiwara (Holland from Eureka 7) in there.
Old 2007-05-30, 00:32   Link #17
cyth
Banned

MOONPHASE just announced that it starts airing July 26 at half past midnight. Not sure if cyan meant the 26th 24:30 or the 25th 24:30.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 20:22   Link #18
Yakhobian
とは
*Fansubber

Strange. The trailer doesn't work for me. If I go to the website it gives me an error page saying it can't play the clip, and if I download it neither MPC nor WMP will play it.
Any ideas?
Old 2007-06-03, 03:51   Link #19
Adventury
Rail Tracer

Youtube? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNfEGB0kCfw
And I believe most of the cast, staff and even the Op and Ed have been announced: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=7492
I am afraid this is only going to last 13 episodes, which means they'll cover The Rolling Bootlegs and, perhaps, have a shot at The Grand Punk Railroad. Just my guess...
Adventury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-03, 14:55   Link #20
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

13 episodes? Is that official? I was hoping for a longer run for this one. It's about the only show out of the Summer line-up that I'm interested in. But at 13 eps at least they should be able to keep the quality up. Hopefully.

That's a good cast; Chiwa Saito, Norio Wakamoto etc... How can you not be intrigued a show with a character called Jacuzzi Sprott in it?

Tags
action, brains-base, crime, historical, shounen, supernatural