AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2018-12-12, 17:39   Link #1
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Elves vs. Dwarves

There's a long-standing trope of elves and dwarves viewing one another with something ranging from contempt and prejudice to outright hatred. I've been through the examples on TV Tropes' page and some that weren't mentioned there, and I noticed that they're pretty much always nothing but just that: prejudice and bickering. I was wondering if there are any examples of an actual conflict between elves and dwarves, with reasons beyond racial hatred.

Naturally it doesn't necessarily have to be specifically labeled "elves" and "dwarves", just so long as the two groups have a lot of differences similar to those of the standard: one lives above ground while the other lives underground; one is focused on harmony with nature while the other is more about industry; one is focused on aesthetic while the other is focused on results; one has strong magic while the other has strong physique...

The closest I've come to this is Princess Mononoke, though I'd strongly prefer it be between two actual humanoid civilizations rather than man vs. beast.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-13, 10:27   Link #2
kari-no-sugata II

It's a shame how often dwarves are just minor characters. If they do show up as a "heroine" then "dwarves" are largely just "lolis who make stuff" - not very interesting. If they're guys then they're very generic.

I've read all sorts of WNs but I don't remember any "reincarnated as a dwarf" protagonists.

Actually... now that I think about it, while I've read a number of WNs with the MC being reincarnated as an elf, when this happens it feels like the MC is always separated from elf culture.
kari-no-sugata II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-14, 15:14   Link #3
RichardFromMarple

Simoun has elements of this with the "Fairy Punk" Simulacrums & the gritty industrial Argentums.
RichardFromMarple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-14, 22:19   Link #4
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

No Game No Life is probably the best recent example (if you mean among JP media)