AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2008-05-02, 06:35   Link #1
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Yankee-kun to Megane-chan

I think I'll create another manga thread just because...

Yankee-kun to Megane-chan.

So, what's this manga about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Well, according to mangaupdates...
Shinagawa Daichi is a high school delinquent who just wants to be left alone. However, class rep Adachi Hana will stop at nothing to get him to go on the upcoming Social Studies field trip. What are her true motives behind getting a "yankee" like Shinagawa to go on such a thing?
Source

...which is accurate enough, but I think doesn't really do the awesomeness of this manga justice.

As of now there are five chapters + three prologues (named after the Japanese tradition of starting class with "stand! bow! sit!," as said by class reps everywhere) scanlated, though six volumes released in Japan. Enough to start reading and get hooked, and yet I'm still here wanting more and more.

The story seems simple enough from the summary: boy meets girl, girl wants boy to do something, boy wonders why ("does she like me?"), and wacky things happen like in every other romantic comedies out there. This one is a lot more fun than that though. Sure, wacky things do happen: they have a fight with delinquents, they try to study for tests, they try to solve a hikkikomori problem, etc., but the charm of this story is really in the main pair and their interactions. Needless to say, in a story like this, chemistry between the leads is everything...

We see the story from the boy's perspective, which is good, because while he's easy enough to read, she's the mystery (we were all teenagers once, so I think all the males of this forum can appreciate the unfathomable that is the Girl ). He's a delinquent, but doesn't seem to bully around anyone. In fact, he finds himself being dragged around by her pace despite his determined and ultimately futile resistance [note: even a mere hint of a girl's tears is enough to cow anyone]. In general, the guy isn't someone you haven't seen before, but he's great fun to watch nonetheless.

The girl, on the other hand, even the reader can't grasp at all. She's a class-rep, wears glasses, and at first glance -- though quickly destroyed by everything after -- seems like a glass-rep, err, class-rep you've all seen before. What does she want to do with this delinquent? Unlike what her "megane-chan" epithet would suggest, she's more like the Haruhi Suzumiya we all come to know and love than, well, a megane-chan. I won't spoil anything, but she's obviously more than she seems, and through that revelation we can somewhat understand why she has taken a liking to our spiky-haired (this time justified) hero. Her incomprehensible actions drive the comedy and plot of the manga, and I'm left wanting for more.

Extra points for being totally, utterly, freaking cute. In an interestingly teenager-ish, un-otaku way. All hail girls who don't look like loli's, MILF's, and other types that make up the fetishist's wet dream.

^I'll gain bad rep for this.

I hope the rest is scanlated soon enough. So, like, anyone also following?
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-02, 08:41   Link #2
kaerstan01
c'mon wimp!

i love the yankee-kun(delinquent) and megane-chan(former gangster and also have a monstrous strength now an inchou xD) tandem. not your typical shoujo manga coz there isnt much romance going on w/ those two(is there even any?), well, based on the first 5 chapters though. the conversations between the two is just so so hilarious that it'd make you go ROFL till the end of the chapter xD
kaerstan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-02, 08:45   Link #3
NeoSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaerstan01 View Post
i love the yankee-kun(delinquent) and megane-chan(former gangster and also have a monstrous strength xD) not your typical shoujo manga coz there isnt much romance going on w/ those two(is there even any?), well, based on the first 5 chapters though. the conversations between the two is just so so hilarious that it'd make you go ROFL till the end of the chapter xD
You call a manga from Shounen Magazine a shoujo manga LOL

I'm not a big reader of shounen manga, but this manga is now on my list (which is now over 40 manga that I'm following )
Old 2008-05-02, 09:51   Link #4
kaerstan01
c'mon wimp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam View Post
You call a manga from Shounen Magazine a shoujo manga LOL

I'm not a big reader of shounen manga, but this manga is now on my list (which is now over 40 manga that I'm following )
what the?! so it wasnt shoujo?!

man... iv'e been deceived by the drawings(coz they looked so thin)
Old 2008-05-02, 10:12   Link #5
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
what the?! so it wasnt shoujo?!

It's not Shoujo but the manga-ka of this series is female.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-02, 10:25   Link #6
NeoSam

Quote:
Well, there is even one manga running in the shounen manga magazine "Jump Square" that's called: Matsuri Special, it has an art style of shoujo manga, but its still a shounen(boy's) manga.
Old 2008-05-02, 13:00   Link #7
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Yeah, i just read the prologue chapters. Definitely a fun ride. Adachi is such a quirky, funny char, they just don't make them like that as much anymore. Shinigawa is cool too, it is funny how he gets dragged around by her. I hope they don't continuously keep making him say "she likes me" every chap though, cuz that'll get kinda annoying.
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-02, 19:25   Link #8
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

Caught my attention today as well, seems pretty interesting so far just hope there will be at least a little romance...
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-02, 23:31   Link #9
LCeh

Really? This is good? I think I read a few chapters but didn't think much of it. I guess I will go back to it and give it another try.
LCeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-03, 11:59   Link #10
kaerstan01
c'mon wimp!

seems to me, inchou doesn't even mind getting herself in a men's comfort room xD
Old 2008-05-03, 19:17   Link #11
frubam
simp for Lyria

They need to add that chiba guy or anybody real soon. If it continues like it has without adding an extra char somewhere, whether part of their group or some side char interaction, its gonna feel mundane after awhile.
Old 2008-05-03, 21:28   Link #12
ZODDGUTS

Well from what I remember seeing a raw chapter a few months ago it seems that...
Spoiler for manga info:
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-05, 02:32   Link #13
JiggleJiggle
Master of the Universe

this manga kinda reminds me of nodame cantabile, with the weirdo freak girl always bothering the unwilling guy who ends up helping her anyway. pretty funny
JiggleJiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-15, 06:41   Link #14
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

New scanlated chapters after a long break!

Things get...exciting...for a while as Yankee-kun goes and try to help his childhood friend out of some trouble. For those of you who are saying this is getting mundane, I think it might alleviate your fears a bit. The overarching development isn't much, but it's there.

Spoiler:
Old 2008-07-15, 08:33   Link #15
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
New scanlated chapters after a long break!

Things get...exciting...for a while as Yankee-kun goes and try to help his childhood friend out of some trouble. For those of you who are saying this is getting mundane, I think it might alleviate your fears a bit. The overarching development isn't much, but it's there.

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2008-07-15, 11:19   Link #16
frubam
simp for Lyria

YAY . I was so excited, I didn't see that there were two chap releases, so when I got to the end of chap 8, I'm like "AW, ****!!", not finding out until I got up it was another chapter to read >,<.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler for chap 8/9:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waven View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler for chap 9:
Old 2008-07-15, 17:48   Link #17
yuuk1

<<<<<<3 this manga! It's one of the best lovecome I've read so far! Like LoveCom
yuuk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-16, 03:21   Link #18
LustfulEnvy
Casanova Extraordinaire
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to LustfulEnvy Send a message via MSN to LustfulEnvy
Goes to show you that you can't judge a person by their looks. I was quite suprised when I heard she was a delinquent
LustfulEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-07, 16:50   Link #19
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

*tock* *tock* anyone here?

Spoiler for ch11:
Old 2008-08-07, 20:12   Link #20
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

I want to have a cute girl shouting "Happy New Year" at my window right in the middle of the night too, lucky bastard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waven View Post
*tock* *tock* anyone here?
*waves hand*

Spoiler for ch 11:

Tags
shonen