Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-10-11, 13:33   Link #2001
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Quote:
Originally Posted by frustra View Post
any chance there will be a second season of this wonderful show? and is the manga still ongoing? thanks! ^_^
And wreck my perfect ending? hehe...I do want more.

Yes it is ongoing, go get a scantaltion of the first 10 chapters.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-11, 13:34   Link #2002
UPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by frustra View Post
any chance there will be a second season of this wonderful show? and is the manga still ongoing? thanks! ^_^
1. Second season is anybody's guess at this point in time.

2. Yes, the manga is on-going.
Old 2007-10-11, 13:38   Link #2003
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbin View Post
And wreck my perfect ending? hehe...I do want more.
that can happen unfortunatly - most comedy series are never as funny the second time round (most obvious being SR ----> SR2)

Still though i love the whole cast so much i dont think i would care much if it ends up being flamed down (and for god sakes i hope that will never happen in the first place! - just in case )

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-11, 13:39   Link #2004
UPR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
that can happen unfortunatly - most comedy series are never as funny the second time round (most obvious being SR ----> SR2)
You want more dead on obvious how about ZnT 2.
Old 2007-10-11, 16:48   Link #2005
S_K
Let's begin!

Send a message via MSN to S_K
A second season would be really nice.
I kind of understand how Deathkillz is feeling about it not being as funny. But hey I also agree with what UPR is saying because with the wacky ideas the creators are coming up with, I'm sure anything is possible
S_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-11, 18:02   Link #2006
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well at least Futakoi Alternative sounds like something interesting to check out. Never hurts to have another series to dive into after all .

Well ZnT2 was just screwed up so not the fault of the material but how it was made use of.

Must be nice for Shark Fujishiro being able to eat just about anything. Other characters would not doubt be concerned about eating anything fish based.
Old 2007-10-11, 18:05   Link #2007
gordok

Quote:
Originally Posted by janfive View Post
I really enjoyed this show, a couple of masterpiece episodes in the love/comedy category. I'm just wondering why this show has no forum on its own with the number of posts this show has gotten and in my opinion is a better series than some of the similar shows with their own forums . . .
For all its entertainment value, I'm not sure what a forum could say about the show that isn't already being said here.

SnH is not particulary deep thematically, and there are not a lot of mysteries (save a few I'll mention elsewhere). So, would a forum simply and mostly consist of people debating which female character is "best" or "hottest?" Gushing at how GAR Nagasumi (or the male gangsters characters) are? Talking about who Nagasumi should really be with?

From a strictly personal viewpoint, I might want to raise questions about how the characters are handled in given stories.

(For example: Much as I liked the anime ending, I might point out that San kind of gets left out of the action: She's asleep much of the time; she does not get to use her sword; she doesn't even get one peep of her siren attack out. She's become little more than a "helpless princess"--though you don't notice or mind so much, because all the other characters get their moments fighting for her. )

However--many such questions would be raised in connection to some of the manga stories--which many of the folks here have not seen (and I have not translated fully for myself). Hence, a forum discussion would tend to be spoilerish and have limited participation.

So, I don't know--Is there really enough to talk about in a separate forum?
gordok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-11, 18:23   Link #2008
Midonin
Last Engage

I sort of prefer the one thread myself. It's a bit easier to dive into, and whether a show has a subforum or not, if it has fans, it'll show. So long as we're all enjoying ourselves, that's the key thing.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-11, 18:56   Link #2009
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordok View Post
(For example: Much as I liked the anime ending, I might point out that San kind of gets left out of the action: She's asleep much of the time; she does not get to use her sword; she doesn't even get one peep of her siren attack out. She's become little more than a "helpless princess"--though you don't notice or mind so much, because all the other characters get their moments fighting for her. )
Personally I like to think that San was fighting through NaGARsumi, as he very much is her creation.
Old 2007-10-12, 03:51   Link #2010
SemperMalum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jost View Post
http://foto.yculblog.com/souseiseki/17.jpg
Oh Masa san!
Masa-san~ <3!

My god, I loved this anime. It's one of the most well done romance/comedy I've seen in a while, with the humor on the level of Excel Saga with how awesome it is.

Let me just get this out of the way.

Shiranui Akeno = Hawt.
Seto San = Hawt.
Seto Ren = Hawt.

I swear, when San and Akeno were both in the bath, when Nagasumi walked in... I could feel blood rushing to my nose.

And when he took the potion, 'nd Akeno went "Michisio Na~GA!" 'nd removed her hairband... Hawt.

'nd every scene with Ren... Hawt.

... I'm done.

I'm glad it ended on such a great note, too. I -hope- they do another season, to be honest, but only if they spent a lot of time to work on it. I would hate to have the second season tarnish this.

By the way, it goes without saying, this is one of the few animes where every single character is awesome in their own right. I loved every single one, especially Maki, Masa-san, 'nd Shark Fujishiro. It helps that the voice acting was top notch.
SemperMalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-12, 04:26   Link #2011
Ultenth

Just watched the first 4 1/2 episodes of Seto No Hanayome. Which is about where I'll stop. What was kinda funny and goofy for the first couple episodes became progressively annoying and boring and stupid. 1/2 way through episode 5 I just had to shut it off because it was just way too much retarded sitcom situational attempts at humor that I got bored with after Saved By the Bell years ago. I just can't see it getting any better either, just progressively more and more annoying and stupid.

I really thought the outragous art-shots where the characters suddenly completely change style was really funny and cool. I just can't comprehend how people can stand the type of humor that pretty much relies 99% on putting people in stupid ridiculous situations that any normal person would never let themselves be put in, and if they did they would simply explain the situation and it would be over. I was actually getting a headache just watching it simply because it was so stupid and annoying. Worst comedy I've seen in years, nice art though.

Apologies to any fans of it, but just kinda had a vein pop in my head watching it and had to vent a bit. Maybe I'll give it a rest for a month or two and try to watch it again, see if my feelings change at all, but right now, ick.
Ultenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-12, 06:20   Link #2012
ZODDGUTS

Great series and a good ending. Gonzo and AIC did a great job on this series I didn't see the animation go down at all. Looking forward to their next work. The series that their doing together is called Special A . Here's some info on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_A
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-13, 05:55   Link #2013
SemperMalum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultenth View Post
Just watched the first 4 1/2 episodes of Seto No Hanayome. Which is about where I'll stop. What was kinda funny and goofy for the first couple episodes became progressively annoying and boring and stupid. 1/2 way through episode 5 I just had to shut it off because it was just way too much retarded sitcom situational attempts at humor that I got bored with after Saved By the Bell years ago. I just can't see it getting any better either, just progressively more and more annoying and stupid.
Well, to be honest, I loved the first and second episode... Hated the 3rd 'nd 4th, 'nd didn't like Maki at first. The 5th episode was kind of... annoying, yes, but it was the only way to get more air time for the Seto group.

Once you get over that hump, and they introduce Mikawa, Akeno, Runa, 'nd etc... It gets better.

There -is- a lot of annoying/stupid situations that Nagasumi gets put into, but, after those first episodes, it became comedy gold. At least, that's how it was for me. I was really skeptical of continuing because I thought it was funny but wasn't sure how it'd turn out... But it grew on me, 'nd now I place it on my top list with how hilarious it is.

It doesn't help that I grew accustomed to rather silly animes from Excel Saga. 'nd a lot of this anime's humor is making fun of everything it can, 'nd bein' silly the majority of the time. With the exception of the majority of the last two episodes, which are just full of epic'ness.
SemperMalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-14, 09:13   Link #2014
Mueti
あ!

Send a message via ICQ to Mueti
Just finished it as well. Really a great comedy. And as for the "hump", which would be episodes ~3-5, it was the same for me. I actually turned it off halfway through during episode 3, something which I usually never do. Only once a friend of mine who had already finished watching it told me to keep going since it'd get better afterwards I did just that. And it was worth it, I think I laughed harder than ever during some episodes. It wasn't always consistent but the frequent awesome episodes more than made up for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarBhaD View Post
But the anime is over and it's kind of sad. I'd love a second season or OVA to come up and continue the show, but the end was pretty conclusive, wasn't it? I mean it's hard to make a sequel the way things ended.
I don't think that'd be a problem. I mean, the villain of the last arc (the last 2 eps) was only introduced in episode 25 as well. There hardly was any actual story anyway. They could easily make a sequel, as far as the story is concerned. Whether the quality would be kept or not is a different story of course.
Old 2007-10-14, 10:19   Link #2015
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

I'd love to see the royal palace try to take revenge for their perverted catfish and get crushed by the Seto group and super friends. Then they can really pull out the stops and bring in NaGARzilla and the Unlimited Cat Works (TM)*

*Stolen from someone else earlier in this thread
Old 2007-10-15, 00:16   Link #2016
gordok

Quote:
But then again, the driving force of love-comedies is the love-polygon. If that gets resolved, then there's no point in going on. Don't get me wrong, I don't care about which characters end up with. Plus you already know from the very beginning how it's going to end. But still that's the pillar the story builds upon and if it falls, the rest crumbles with it.
I understand they could just continue the story like if the last 2 episodes never actually happened. For instance: Luna feels like teasing Nagasumi again or some new characters show up (look and the manga covers, there are a bunch more) just to name a few of plots they could develop. But then, why did they bother in doing such a closed end? Plus, the last scene shows "oshimai", which means "THE END". Other shows try to sweeten the goodbye with "we may see each other again, someday" and the like (but they never get a sequel anyway ). But SnH goes for the harsh reality: it's over. Again that doesn't really mean if it will get continued or not, but doesn't bode well.
I trust you'll understand why I won't spoil the manga particulars/details (without a spoiler box). . .

IMHO, in the current manga stories, the San/Nagasumi relationship is not dealt with every chapter. However, there are a lot of characters (including some not shown in the anime) who want to "win" San over to their viewpoint. (e.g., Luna still wants to "beat" San in some way; Akeno is still not fully convinced humans and merfolk can live together; Kai still wants San to choose him over Nagasumi, etc.)

Because San chooses to remain "The Inland Sea Bride", those characters are forced to interact with the human world too. (And consequently the human world, in many cases unknowingly, has to interact with the mermaid world). This becomes the basis for most of the current manga stories.

Other stories are spinnoffs of already-existing plot threads. For example: On occasion, Masa has to get used to his "new" role as a big brother, without giving himself away; the Last Amazones has to address how far she'll go to get men to treat women better (and it ain't pretty ); Mawari discovers some new things about herself (which may lead to her becoming a better police officer in the future); etc.

Said stories have proven to be rather fun and wild in its comedy. . . develops the secondary characters nicely. . .but has provided little in the way of a grand overall story arc or development to tie everything together. Hence, I suspect that's why the anime writers "ended" the story where they did:

We (as the audience) wanted some sort of resolution to the San/Nagasumi relationship, didn't we?

Our two main protagonists have declared their love for each other, and it was epic.

What more could we ask for?
gordok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-15, 00:22   Link #2017
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I don't think it's any more (or less) resolved than after Luna's almost wedding.

So they overcame an obstacle and decided, in spite of everything, to stay together. Doesn't mean they can't do it again and again... It's worked well so far.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-15, 00:47   Link #2018
Messerschmitt_Bf-109
y hello thar

Actually one thing was different. Nagasumi actually said he loved her. We all know Luna and San loved him, but he never said anything. What makes this different is he said I love you and stay with me forever. Since this is an optimistic upbeat comedy, I just assume they get married.
Messerschmitt_Bf-109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-15, 11:42   Link #2019
ZFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I don't think it's any more (or less) resolved than after Luna's almost wedding.

So they overcame an obstacle and decided, in spite of everything, to stay together. Doesn't mean they can't do it again and again... It's worked well so far.
I am new to this forum, and see this thread about Seto no Hanayome.

What I can say about second season is, if the writer wants to do a second season, no matter what kinds of ending he does for season one, he can always make some connection between the first and second season.

I have read the manga of it myself, if the writer wants to make a second season, all those new characters that never appear in the first season can put into the second season without any problems.

Also, this anime is a comedy, its goal is to make you laugh when watching it, romance is just part of the comedy.

If second season is basically 26 episodes of jokes this is fine to me, as long as they can keep the quality.
ZFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-15, 22:51   Link #2020
shaolinx
Kani Fascination

Quote:
Speaking of quality, I guess most of you noticed that SnH has really high quality animation. And the best thing is that it keeps that level through the whole series. Pick any episode, pause at any random frame and look carefuly: all lines are well drawn and detailed. Also animtaion is fast and smooth. It's so weird nowadays to see TV anime (not OVAs or movies) with this level of detail. Heck, it's really good even for OVAs!

But not just the picture is good. I read the first 2 volumes of the manga (that's all I could find scanlated) and IMHO the anime amplifies the comedy effect and the jokes, thus surpassing the original work. Also character's designs are much better.
And last but not least, the cast is awesome. The voices for each character fit perfectly and all of them do a great work.

To sum up, the quality of SnH is very high, specially for the usual anime that is produced today. This is a mistery to me. I wonder why they put so much effort to create a TV series based on a manga that is pretty unpopular or unknown. Also, I browsed through ANN encyclopedia to check the producers' (director, series composition) other works and didn't find anything spectacular. In fact, I'd say that I don't like most of the series they have worked on.

And finally, there's barely any merchandise to support the show. Usually there are tons of "items" based on the anime on sale to reap profits: figures, keychains, dolls, videogames... but there's barely anything related to SnH, just the manga, DVDs and some music CDs. Or at least I couldn't find anything on the shops I frequent. Not that I'm really interested on this stuff, but I find it curious.

So the fact that the final product is SO good is basically... a miracle!?
You bring up a good point... I am not here to bash Gonzo, they have created some very good shows (vandread, kaze no stigma, etc etc..), but generally they are known to be associated with poor quality anime. This is probably one of the best animes that gonzo has ever created, and especially off a no named manga like SnH. It does make one wonder how this is possible...

I saw a few chapters of the manga a while back and it was nothing compared to this, and i dropped it soon after. I am suprised how they can ruin a GREAT manga adaption like black cat but can create an awesome one like SnH. At first, i was skeptical if the VAs will match the characters for the show and how long they can keep the HIGH quality, but they pulled it off very well.
shaolinx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aic, comedy, fantasy, gonzo, romance, shounen