AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 06
10: Amazing... 3 4.62%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 4 6.15%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 11 16.92%
7 out of 10: Good... 16 24.62%
6 out of 10: Average... 14 21.54%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 7 10.77%
4 out of 10: Poor... 5 7.69%
3 out of 10: Bad... 1 1.54%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 2 3.08%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 2 3.08%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-11-13, 06:28   Link #21
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

This was a great episode. There are few background information regarding the AGE universe. Apparently the great Colony Wars have ended generations ago, but small scale of battles still remain. Much like the Wing universe, there was a weapon treaty and MS data was sealed, that explains why the MS sucks against UE. Is Grodek really serious about leaking the weapon data? If so what will happen? Will war begin anew?

UE strikes against with a new type Baqto which renders Dots Rifle useless, and its timing was way too fishy. With what we have learned this episode, I wonder UE is a secret organization wanting to spark wars again through technological advancement

Looking forward to Titus the next episode, it will kick ass!
Old 2011-11-13, 06:54   Link #22
duotiga
Zander Yuusha Kyorugold

Send a message via ICQ to duotiga Send a message via MSN to duotiga
when wolf mention make a suit better than gundam & make it white i was lol

baqto is kinda "what? o.O"for my reaction towards the end but with the beam deflector i was like "yeah another disadvantage for gundam"

looks like titus parts for next episode is done via parts swapping?
duotiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 07:00   Link #23
tsunade666

So while Gundam continue to evolve so as UE and next episode a new weapon was presented. Maybe it's a for close range because his in disadvantage in close range and firing the beam canon inside the colony did bring him trouble.

Annoying Emily is still super annoying who is she to decide on what will Flit do. She is acting like his wife already. Trying to control his decisions

Nice shovel weapon but that mobile suit reminds me of an enemy in rockman. The type with the enemy with strong helmet and you need to time it to destroy it.

New info too about why the mobile suit sucks at this age and it's due to human foolish war and they decide to stop it but still some are foolish and specially the noble rich people foolish. And now Flit was captured. The gundam might be something but the real deal is the one who built it. Even the reaction of the mechanic that Woolf ask with is surprised in seeing the picture of gundam.
Old 2011-11-13, 07:23   Link #24
ReddyRedWolf

Interesting world building. Unlike the UC and Seed continuities where Earth is pitted with colonies its the space colonies that had a civil war in space.

No indication yet if the Federation came after as a direct consequence of the treaty or colonies were independent in the first place, with the Federation staying out of the fighting generally.

We also learn much like in UC the Gundam is hero unit. One that is legendary.

Another thing we learn why the Federation's MS sucks is that it may be strung up in legalities to use MS technologies of old.

It almost sounds like the Inner Sphere in Battletech where there is a mech technology stagnation that old mechs are far more advance than current ones. The equivalent of the Clans here is the UE who has far more advanced technology than the locals.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 07:50   Link #25
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by duotiga View Post
when wolf mention make a suit better than gundam & make it white i was lol

baqto is kinda "what? o.O"for my reaction towards the end but with the beam deflector i was like "yeah another disadvantage for gundam"

looks like titus parts for next episode is done via parts swapping?
It's only a disadvantage for the Gundam until it uses the Titus parts to rip the Baqto in two or a hundred pieces.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 08:31   Link #26
RES-01 Perses Gundam
A Contradiction Beneath

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeriolewinters View Post
is it me or the Zalab emblem awfully reminds me of ZAFT.
No kidding. I agree.

Maybe they really used the ZAFT emblem, then use the fleet to cover it up.
RES-01 Perses Gundam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 08:39   Link #27
monster

I'm glad we finally get some background to the AGE universe. But the depiction of Fardain's conflict just seems lacking somehow. It's like I'm watching an episode of Star Trek TOS and the crew of the Enterprise Diva is visiting another planet colony inhabited by people with some weird recurring quirks. In this case, these people would have some random battle where they would stand there with their mobile suits just firing at each other. But it doesn't feel like there's actual danger at all, even when Flit and Emily were standing near the fighting. Good for the rich people, I suppose. In fact, it really feels like they needed Riria to go out during a battle just to show that this is actually a dangerous situation.

But maybe that's the point. From the way Iwark tells it, it seems that the rich of Fardain spends their time fighting stupid battles over stupid ideologies. But if that's the case, then Riria's role in the episode feels even more cheap. It just sends mixed signals for me about the world of AGE. On one hand, they apparently still want to portray that war is a bad thing, on the other hand, this episode makes light of fighting by having the mobile suits just standing there shooting. Even a worker type mobile suit could just easily enter the battle and acts like it belongs there (at least, for a moment). One good thing about it is now we have a reason for why the UE is such a menace: the people are just stupid(?) when it comes to war. Although I feel that the banning of mobile suits would've been a good enough reason already.

(And speaking of Iwark, his meeting with Flit and Emily reminded me of Andy's meeting with Cagalli and Kira for some reason. )

As for Flit, it's interesting to me that, while Iwark was amazed at Flit piloting a mobile suit, Emily just flat out calls it what it is: Flit's just a boy. I guess she won't give him a break any time soon. And once again, I like how Flit denounces his need to be a savior while still desiring to save everyone. I'm still not sure how I feel about Flit, but I can't dislike him for this.

One thing about this episode though, it kind of shows (although perhaps poorly) why I think grand solutions for (universal) peace (like CE's Destiny Plan) just can't work. Even if people forget why they're fighting, it's not as easy to forget that they fought and the pain that the fighting caused them. But again, it's presented poorly because now you have mobile suits just standing there shooting at each other. The UE's appearance sort of made up for that, though. And it's nice to see what looks to be a real upgrade for AGE next episode.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 11:06   Link #28
brightman
Ancient Member

I agree about the presentation being a little off for in terms of pacing, in particular the various events seem to be happening a bit too quickly (which seems to be a recurring issue with the show). But I don't find the battles being off. Its like you said, its a weird quirk in the colony. Its like these two sides have been doing this for decades and somehow its just turned into a recurring act that has to be done for the sake of doing it. Most likely there's going to be people in control (such as the Don Voyage dude) who are probably controlling these in the background to make sure these "battles" keep happening.

So indeed, it seems that unless you are caught in the battlefield, there's really no danger. Heck they even built all those walls protecting the buildings so there wouldn't be any danger.

I guess the only danger is that these "battles" seem to happen spontaneously and people can caught on them and maybe get killed too, though judging from the episode it seems most people already know what they need to do anytime a "battle" occurs.

The incompetence of the military is kind of reminiscent of Turn A's militias, actually. People become complacent due to lasting peace and forget the art of war. In both cases attacks by external factions lead to people scrambling to relearn how to fight.
Old 2011-11-13, 11:26   Link #29
monster

Yeah, Turn A did come to mind.

Also, I don't really mind that these battles do happen. I guess my real issue with their presentation, however, is that these mobile suits are acting like they're AC Gundams for no apparent reason (at least to me). Quirk aside, when you have mobile suits seemingly standing mere meters apart doing nothing much other than shoot at each other, it just doesn't feel, I don't know, satisfying. I guess you could say it feels "off" for some reason.

And it gets worse when you then add Flit and Iwark's part of the episode and how they're trying to show how terrible all the fighting's been. The whole thing almost feels comical except I don't have the urge to laugh.
Old 2011-11-13, 11:43   Link #30
brightman
Ancient Member

Like I said, I think that is intentional. Its like the people who want these battles to happen wanted to make them almost inconsequential (perhaps so that these battles can keep happening). So these guys are basically fighting each other but not really hurting each other or hurting the surrounding buildings. Its like the battles have essentially become a sport and the walls protecting the buildings are the arena walls.
Old 2011-11-13, 12:04   Link #31
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman View Post
Like I said, I think that is intentional.
Oh, I'm not denying that possibility. I just wasn't prepared for quirks (of the kind that reminds me of Star Trek TOS of all things). It kind of threw me off, watching this episode, but it is what it is.
Old 2011-11-13, 12:32   Link #32
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Interesting world building. Unlike the UC and Seed continuities where Earth is pitted with colonies its the space colonies that had a civil war in space.

No indication yet if the Federation came after as a direct consequence of the treaty or colonies were independent in the first place, with the Federation staying out of the fighting generally.

We also learn much like in UC the Gundam is hero unit. One that is legendary.

Another thing we learn why the Federation's MS sucks is that it may be strung up in legalities to use MS technologies of old.

It almost sounds like the Inner Sphere in Battletech where there is a mech technology stagnation that old mechs are far more advance than current ones. The equivalent of the Clans here is the UE who has far more advanced technology than the locals.
It's something different at least. Like Gundam 00 it's not about space vs. earth conflict.

I find it really weird though with how the Baqto came in to fight the Gundam and then disappeared to let Flit take the blame.

I just cannot take the UE seriously. I'm hoping something more villanous will show up.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 13:00   Link #33
ookamigirl

Mobile suit Gundam was way better than this one. It's kinda slow and I'm not a fan of this kind of drawing 'cause it looks like it's made for kids.
Flit & Emily's little fight was also kinda childish.
This time we get to see the other side of life in the city.
The fighting was ok.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 15:08   Link #34
lightbringer
M9000

Wow, literally everything in this episode happened out of plot convenience and made no logical sense. I'm so dumbfolded I don't know where to start, lol.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 15:15   Link #35
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Man it's a good thing that the Diva was in no immediate danger this episode because everyone just kind of takes off to do their own things this episode and basically left Milles in charge and 1 outdated mobile suit behind to defend it.

Let's see, yet another episode with a lot going on. Woolf took off pretty early to try and get his old buddy to build him a suit better than the Gundam (I say good luck but it's not happening) so that's minus one Genoace. I like how every MS builder seems to know the legend of the Gundam and it's many glorious victories in the past but yet not any of the specifics of them. It really must have just happened that long ago. Emily also takes off after realizing that Flit is enlisting and not going with her to settle in the other colony and then Flit chases after her meaning Largan Drace was the only pilot even on the ship by the halfway point and that's when we run into the incredibly manly Iwark who tells of the backstory of the Zalam and Euba's petty intercolony wars and how that was what lead to demilitarization and what they call the "Silver Chalice Treaty". Of course the fight is still going thanks to the likes of Don Voyage.

Grodek has a mini-flashback and as I thought his family was lost in the Day the Angel Fell event so it is personal between him and the UE much like with Flit. He then like every other major character takes off to go try and get some more warpower from an old man warmonger that looks like an unused design from G Gundam. It's good that he realized that one battleship and 3 mobile suits aren't beating the UE's main base, but is a deal with the devil really worth it. It's hinted that he's supplying these Zalam and Euba factions and just sitting back to watch and profit off the carnage while actually enjoying the fight. Don Boyage is like the very essence of the person that Iwark is accusing of bringing war to his colony and forcing the poor people to live between the colony walls in the interest of staying the hell out of that mess. And I thought U.C Gundam colonies had problems, that shanty town almost makes Shangri-La look like paradise by comparison.

I thought Iwark was marked for death the moment he started talking about protecting that little girl and when he took off in a civilian mobile suit to try and stop the battle I was almost certain we were looking at a tragic ending to the episode as I was shouting at Flit to, "Git to da Gundam", but then Iwark goes and takes out a military grade MS with a heat shovel and guts before getting overwhelmed and Vargas brings the Gundam to him...somehow without Milles even knowing. I'm kind of starting to doubt her ability to function as an operator since her very job is to keep track of the Mobile Suits in action and yet she's completely failed to do so twice in one episode. That's not good, not good at all really.

In any case a random appearance by the UE (probably Decil in that suit) and what looked like a deliberate attempt to frame Flit for damaging the colony and shit hits the fan in a completely unexpected way at the end of the episode.

Overall a pretty good one again that fills in yet more details about the History of the Advanced Generation Era as well as drops some more hints and mysteries about it's distant past as well as introduces a secondary conflict that's going on between known powers for those that feel the UE are a little too faceless an enemy. I support this twist, but we'll need to see what the leaders of Zalam and Euba are like in order to get a better handle on the conflict. Judging by this shows tendency to borrow a bit from Gundam X I'm kind of expecting people like Lord Bradman and Zaider to be in charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
Wow, literally everything in this episode happened out of plot convenience and made no logical sense. I'm so dumbfolded I don't know where to start, lol.
By all means please go into detail so that we might fully understand the specifics of your post.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 15:34   Link #36
StrikeFreedomV2
Super Striker

This episode gets a 7 from.

I liked that we got some infos about the world in the show. Also, alot of stuff got setup for the next episode. We will see the Titus next week and the G-Exes will make an appearence soon.

Fardain is a pretty fucked up place to live in. I feel sorry for that muscle guy and the little girl. I hope Flit & co can help them somehow.

The MS battles were... underwhelming in my eyes, at least until the Baqto appeared. I wish we would saw more of it. The preview for the next ep looks pretty promising, though, so looking forward to that.

One thing I noticed about Flit's fighting-style in terms of melee-combat is that he always uses the dagger instead of a saber. I hope he will use the saber in the future. But thats just nitpicking on my side, I just love beam saber-combat

Looking forward to next week.
StrikeFreedomV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 15:43   Link #37
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I thought the little skirmish with the Gundam and UE suit was pretty solid for the like minute that it lasted. This episode wasn't really about showcasing flashy MS battles between prototypes though so it's kind of not surprising that the fights would be kind of on the meh side. It was basically two squads of grunt mobile suits armed only with dinky machine guns shooting at each other from across the street. The equivalent of a dumb gang fight between the Crips and Bloods. Not the sort of stuff that's supposed to get the blood pumping so much as make everyone say, "Oh my god what are they even doing and why?"

The whole point of the fight was that it had none and I thought they highlighted that quite well by how soulless it was portrayed, but perhaps people don't view it in that context and are looking for something that really shouldn't be there unless they want the scene to suffer from tonal dissonance just for the sake of a flashy Mobile Suit fight.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 15:45   Link #38
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrikeFreedomV2 View Post
One thing I noticed about Flit's fighting-style in terms of melee-combat is that he always uses the dagger instead of a saber. I hope he will use the saber in the future. But thats just nitpicking on my side, I just love beam saber-combat
Does it even have a saber? Me thinks the AGE Builder has not spit it out yet.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-13, 15:51   Link #39
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Looks like Woolf is getting up upgrade. Wow sad to see that there is still infighting while there already is a big enemy in the UE. Grodek is awesome, going to the black market for supplies. Nice joby by FLit to rescue Iwark, too bad he got caught. The Baqto's timing was to coincidental.
Old 2011-11-13, 15:57   Link #40
StrikeFreedomV2
Super Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Does it even have a saber? Me thinks the AGE Builder has not spit it out yet.
Well, the HG has them. It can probably enlarge the size of the blade, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I thought the little skirmish with the Gundam and UE suit was pretty solid for the like minute that it lasted. This episode wasn't really about showcasing flashy MS battles between prototypes though so it's kind of not surprising that the fights would be kind of on the meh side. It was basically two squads of grunt mobile suits armed only with dinky machine guns shooting at each other from across the street. The equivalent of a dumb gang fight between the Crips and Bloods. Not the sort of stuff that's supposed to get the blood pumping so much as make everyone say, "Oh my god what are they even doing and why?"

The whole point of the fight was that it had none and I thought they highlighted that quite well by how soulless it was portrayed, but perhaps people don't view it in that context and are looking for something that really shouldn't be there unless they want the scene to suffer from tonal dissonance just for the sake of a flashy Mobile Suit fight.
I actually agree with the bolded part. It's just that I expected Flit to be a little more active in terms of stopping their battle, like disarming the other MS's. But that would had probably just worsened the situation for him. He already gets blamed for causing damage to city, and actually damaging the other MS's would just had been a bad Idea, I guess.

Also, I thought Gundam was about flashy Mobile Suit battles?

Last edited by StrikeFreedomV2; 2011-11-13 at 16:11.
StrikeFreedomV2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekly episode discussion