AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-08-02, 17:34   Link #321
YourIdeas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
So... Am i starting to get used to Usagi's voice, or has Mitsuishi Kotono toned it down a bit?
Because I'm not getting the 'fingernails on a blackboard' reaction I had in episode 1.

Have to admit, 'rascal' is not the word I'd use if someone lit me on fire.
Think you just got used to it. She still sounds the same as in episode 1.
YourIdeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-02, 18:00   Link #322
HandofFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
That was HILARIOUS. I burst out laughing at that.
He would have gotten away with it, if not for those meddling kids and that cat.
Old 2014-08-02, 18:23   Link #323
AntonKutovoi

I'm still watching it for the voices. The villians cast os great and I can't wait to hear Edgeworth as Kunzite.
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-02, 20:53   Link #324
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Finely Rei finely here and still looks so good as a miko
Old 2014-08-02, 21:51   Link #325
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Rei = best girl.

....did Jadeite just seriously call someone 'rascal?'
Old 2014-08-02, 22:08   Link #326
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
Rei = best girl.

....did Jadeite just seriously call someone 'rascal?'
My take on "rascal" is that he's not respecting Rei as a fighter and was thinking about her more as a female. Kind of demeaning.
Old 2014-08-02, 22:22   Link #327
GDB

Not sure why they used Rascal there, which is usually used for "yarou", when he used "onore", which is a derogatory interjection to express anger/chagrin at someone.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-02, 22:29   Link #328
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Not sure why they used Rascal there, which is usually used for "yarou", when he used "onore", which is a derogatory interjection to express anger/chagrin at someone.
Right.

I was thinking something like "Curse you!" or even "Damn you!"....
Old 2014-08-02, 22:31   Link #329
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

It was just...out of place suddenly

Was Jadeite an old man in another lifetime?

I like the fact that Rei didn't come across as such a bitch like she did in the older series.
Old 2014-08-02, 22:31   Link #330
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
I, for one, thought Rei sounded much older than 14 years old. I think Usagi's VA sounds significantly closer to Usagi's age through the series so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
He would have gotten away with it, if not for those meddling kids and that cat.
Well played.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-03, 02:40   Link #331
Shana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
Leaving complaints of quality aside, what caught my attention was how well Rei and Usagi got along here. I never saw the episode where they met in the original series, but what I do recall of their relationship included a lot of bickering.
This. I'm not a manga reader so I'm curious as to

Spoiler:

Though things seem to move pretty fast here so maybe they'll skip that.

Last edited by Shana; 2014-08-03 at 02:44. Reason: Just in case.
Shana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-03, 03:38   Link #332
sergel02

That transformation sequence was the best yet.

Also, something about the eyes in this version seems different. Like they're even bigger than before.
sergel02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-03, 05:59   Link #333
BloodyKitty
Raindrop Melancholy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana View Post
This. I'm not a manga reader so I'm curious as to

Spoiler:

Though things seem to move pretty fast here so maybe they'll skip that.
Something to get in mind is that between the manga and the old anime there are many differences in plot and characterization, so it's better not to expect things from the old anime to show up in the new anime that follows closer to the manga. I just hope we don't have unnecessary expectations to ruin some enjoyment while watching the new anime.
The fact that you hate
The fact that you scream
The fact that you suffer
The fact that you mourn
The fact that you despair
Or the fact that you come to a resolution

Cannot prove that you are right.
~Everybody Has the Right to Make Mistakes~ - Quoted from Kino's Journey Vol. 12
BloodyKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-03, 10:41   Link #334
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Seen the third episode.

Without a doubt to me my favorite senshi is Rei Hino (a.k.a. Sailor Mars). She's one of the two powerhouses amongst the team of the Five Sailor Senshi, and her precognition powers are almost accurate.

As the girl she is, I'm happy to see that the new shows exposes in detail her frailty and fears whenever strangers begin to deem her odd, and that's why with Usagi she starts to feel fitting in the world due to the latter's unconditional, naivety at liking her and be friends with her.

Veteran moonie fans like you and me shouldn't expect many details from the old TV series pouring into the new one, since the second show is going closely with the manga route.
For example, at the end of this episode Usagi and Rei began their friendship on the right track.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-03, 11:20   Link #335
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Wow. Couple of things.

1. I never liked Rei in the original anime- not her looks, her behaviour nor her voice- despite her manga version having exactly the kind of personality and looks I usually love (and I thus liked her in the manga, ofc). This characterisation of her is sooo much better, it's not even real. Rina Satou is doing a good job and her lines and scenes in general just work so much better- possibly more so than even (or at least as well as) in the original manga. Love it.
The only thing that I didn't quite appreciate was how her after-transformation scene seemed rather clumsy and ugly instead of powerful and elegant.

2. In general, the direction of this episode was great, possibly the best one released so far- maybe because the BGM created more of a sense of urgency, more of an atmosphere of "danger" or "epicness" than the previous two, which seemed to just be dragging along with a general atmosphere of "meh" half the time
Though I feel that certain things- like people being scared of or accusing Rei could have been handled with a bit more elegance and subtlety, rather than with cardboard cutout "mean ladies", which feels a bit antiquated and forced.

3. Well, they ruined one of my favourite UsaMamo moments- it wasn't funny or anything. It was just "meh"... it's a small thing, but I'm disappointed ;_; So far, Mamoru's been rather boring and lifeless, don't take his few amusing moments away, please. We already had that in the first anime.

4. I don't even want to think about the animation. It's even worse than before. It even made cool scenes seem comical, like when Mercury and Moon were standing there, grinning blankly, with their arms encased in ice
Given the overall feel of the direction and quality of the voice acting (Kotono excluded-sorry), this show could be amazing, if it had just a couple animators on it's staff that aren't total hacks. It's pathetic that they're getting paid for this
Interestingly though, the fugly CG works much better with flames than with water or ribbons. Rei's transformation wasn't as much of an eyesore as the previous two, which I guess makes it the bet so far :P

5. There were some very interesting story-implications in this episode which I'm keen to see develop, specifically regarding Jadeite and Rei.

6. The subs are still hilarious xD

So, overall, a mixed bag again. Good direction, mostly good voice acting, awful visuals, BGM improved.
Old 2014-08-03, 12:37   Link #336
Shana

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyKitty View Post
Something to get in mind is that between the manga and the old anime there are many differences in plot and characterization, so it's better not to expect things from the old anime to show up in the new anime that follows closer to the manga. I just hope we don't have unnecessary expectations to ruin some enjoyment while watching the new anime.
I feel like I'm being told a whole different tale. I've watched up to episode 28 of the first season (which I found incredibly tedious to watch), Super S, the movies and read Sailor V a very long time ago. I think I'll check out the manga since I just found out it's not that long and the Shitennou seem to be more than the monster of the week.
Shana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-03, 14:30   Link #337
Konja9

I enjoyed the third episode.

I really like the appearance of Rei and her problems with spiritual powers..

I also enjoyed the little scene between Usagi and Mamoru. Though poor Luna .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana View Post
I feel like I'm being told a whole different tale. I've watched up to episode 28 of the first season (which I found incredibly tedious to watch), Super S, the movies and read Sailor V a very long time ago. I think I'll check out the manga since I just found out it's not that long and the Shitennou seem to be more than the monster of the week.
Spoiler for shitennou:
Konja9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-04, 01:07   Link #338
Sol Falling

I found episode 3 to be pretty good. There were less obvious contrivances which stuck out to me regarding the story, I found the animation quality less distracting than episode 2, and Rei is a pretty compelling and likeable character, both as a civilian and as a Sailor senshi. With the basic plot direction settled I'm also feeling more engaged with the narrative as a whole.

One thing I am forced to wonder about though currently is whether that mist thing is really Sailor Mercury's only function/attack. I mean, it 's cool that they're giving tactical skills emphasis as well and all, but it would leave her kind of dependent on the other girls.

In any case, this series is turning out to be a pretty comfortable watch for me at a leisurely pace.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-04, 02:34   Link #339
YourIdeas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
One thing I am forced to wonder about though currently is whether that mist thing is really Sailor Mercury's only function/attack. I mean, it 's cool that they're giving tactical skills emphasis as well and all, but it would leave her kind of dependent on the other girls.
Mercury's always been known to be the only guardian without a direct attack, at least early on. Aqua Mist/Shabon Spray, in pretty much every incarnation, has always created a fog of mist that greatly lowers enemy vision/chills them.
YourIdeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-04, 04:02   Link #340
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourIdeas View Post
Mercury's always been known to be the only guardian without a direct attack, at least early on. Aqua Mist/Shabon Spray, in pretty much every incarnation, has always created a fog of mist that greatly lowers enemy vision/chills them.
Ah, thanks. If it's a specific point of the character/setting, then I guess it could potentially be grounds for some engaging character conflict/development. Honestly, the idea of a 'fighting' magical girl with such a restricted set of abilities is pretty novel to me, considering modern mahou shoujo. I guess this might be one of the interesting points of contrast, reflective of liberties you could have at the formative stages of the genre.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mahou shoujo, remake, sailor moon