Notices

Old 2010-10-26, 23:57   Link #301
Mr. Wang
Scholar of Yanderes
*Author

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Wang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reonikki View Post
I am new and am planning to enter the Nov'10 contest, and I have some Q's.

- Must our entries be saved in JPEG format only?
- Who is the contest organiser, who I must PM my entry to? (Solace?)
- Are text allowed in our entries?

Thanks a lot. BTW, 50,000 bytes is kinda restrictive >.<
So, Felix beat me to answering the question first, but I'll attempt to be a bit more specific because I'm a nice guy like that...

First question, no, you do not need to save in JPEG format. You can save in .PNG, .JPEG, or .GIF. However, due to the size limits, people often choose using JPEG or GIF, and that's just the common trend among us.

Second question, Solace is in charge of the monthly contests, however entries do not require a PM. After the votes have been cast for a month, a winner declared, and a theme chosen, a new thread will appear in the Fan Creations area, labled "SOTM (insert year, month, and theme here) - Entry Thread." There, all submissions are posted by the creators. It's often useful to try and post yours early, as people will usually offer constructive criticism on ways to improve before the deadline.

Third question... depends on what you mean by that. If the actual signature image itself has text in it, that's okay. If you have text outside of the signature, like a typed quote right below the image, that's not allowed. But text in the actual signature's graphic itself is okay.

I hope this answered your questions. Also, 50,000 bytes might sound restrictive, but that's simply the rules put that were put down for all signature-making in general. All signatures, contest or otherwise, must be under 50,000 bytes as per Animesuki regulations. Besides, for the sake of competition, just think of it as... a bit of a challenge...

For more information on what to expect for your entry next month, try looking at this month's past entry thread here.
Old 2010-10-27, 00:54   Link #302
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
BTW, 50,000 bytes is kinda restrictive >.<
Keep in mind that some hosting sites (i.e: Photobucket) will actually increase the size of a file. Always double check your entries after posting them.
Old 2010-10-27, 09:39   Link #303
LKK

I'd like to express my concern over a growing trend in the contest that's bothering me: allowing sigs to be entered past the entry deadline. I feel that allowing a sig to be entered past the stated deadline isn't fair to those people who entered their sigs on time. It may be that some of those who entered on time would have liked the extra hours to make final tweaks that the late-comers got simply by not entering when they should have.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-27, 22:44   Link #304
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
I'd like to express my concern over a growing trend in the contest that's bothering me: allowing sigs to be entered past the entry deadline. I feel that allowing a sig to be entered past the stated deadline isn't fair to those people who entered their sigs on time. It may be that some of those who entered on time would have liked the extra hours to make final tweaks that the late-comers got simply by not entering when they should have.
Noted. I've been including some of the last minutes because they were pretty close to the deadline anyway, however last months had a few entries that were submitted the next day. I included them out of kindness, but that won't be the case in the future.
Old 2010-11-09, 22:58   Link #305
Reonikki
女人最大~~

Question!!

I have posted my final entry on the SOTM Nov'10 Entry Thread. But, now I am having second thoughts of doing some touch-ups on my entry? Am I allowed to do so and edit my final entry post?
Old 2010-11-09, 23:02   Link #306
Patchy
練紅玉
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Question!!

I have posted my final entry on the SOTM Nov'10 Entry Thread. But, now I am having second thoughts of doing some touch-ups on my entry? Am I allowed to do so and edit my final entry post?
Yep.... just edit your post and remove the final entry or replace it later with your final one...

There's no problem if you haven't past the deadline I think
Shiro
-----------------------------
-----------------------------
Currently Doing:
Currently Hidden in depths of Chireiden

Patchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-06, 17:57   Link #307
JuJuBeez

I just missed asking a question before thee voting thread closed. For the silhouette theme, would that mean that ppl can submit entries similar to ipod ads?
Old 2011-01-06, 18:10   Link #308
JRendell
Manga Addict

I'm personally a bit unsure on that. Trouble is, in Frailty's theme post, he says that the silhouette is caused by the background's backlight. Therefore, the iPod ads silhouettes don't really fit, as they have just a plain background.

I think we need a little more specification from Frailty, but he said he's going to be afk for a little while due to exams.
JRendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-07, 00:54   Link #309
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuJuBeez View Post
I just missed asking a question before thee voting thread closed. For the silhouette theme, would that mean that ppl can submit entries similar to ipod ads?
Asked and confirmed that Frailty have rejected iPod style silhouette. Its on the newly created entry thread
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-11, 09:00   Link #310
milan kyuubi
Call me MK! :)
*Graphic Designer

I got idea for this from someone's (can't remember from who) post in the fanfiction thread in forum feedback. Is it possible that the winner of month contest gets to to have something under the user name or avatar? Something like 'SOTM winner' but in color and all that. Of course the winner will not get any special forum powers from this. And he will need to pass the tittle on the next winner. Something like this would be very good in my opinion
Old 2011-01-11, 12:20   Link #311
Larthak
♪ ~ ♫
*Artist

Send a message via ICQ to Larthak Send a message via MSN to Larthak
Quote:
Originally Posted by milan kyuubi View Post
I got idea for this from someone's (can't remember from who) post in the fanfiction thread in forum feedback. Is it possible that the winner of month contest gets to to have something under the user name or avatar? Something like 'SOTM winner' but in color and all that. Of course the winner will not get any special forum powers from this. And he will need to pass the tittle on the next winner. Something like this would be very good in my opinion
Seems like unnecessary bragging rights to me. No offense meant, I know that wasn't your intention, but I see no benefit from such a thing.
Old 2011-01-11, 18:35   Link #312
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Then what benefit do you see from the titles like '' Graphic Designer '' ... '' Artist '' .. or even a '' Fansubber '' ?

I don't really see any benefit in them either. Though I do agree, the SOTM Winner tag would pretty much be about bragging that you won it ..
Old 2011-01-11, 19:29   Link #313
JRendell
Manga Addict

It also means that someone would have to create a new tag every month, and I'm guessing that Solace and the other staff members have enough on their plates as it is.

The majority of members enter the contest to better their skills rather than actually win, so a prize tag would be pointless.
Old 2011-01-11, 22:49   Link #314
Aurelie
THE BRITISH ARE COMING!!!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRendell View Post
It also means that someone would have to create a new tag every month, and I'm guessing that Solace and the other staff members have enough on their plates as it is.
It wouldn't be a tag, it would be a group (like Graphic Designer/Artist/Fansubber), while I've never been in a position to see the CP, I can't imagine maing such a group would take more than a couple of minutes, and it would only have to be made once, unless they decide to add month/year/theme, which would be unncecesary since all they need is 'SOTM Winner'. All the mods/admins would have to do is add the new winner to the group, and remove the previous winner, which also shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes.
Old 2011-01-12, 00:55   Link #315
JRendell
Manga Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelie View Post
It wouldn't be a tag, it would be a group...
Ah right, I'm with ya now. However;

Quote:
Originally Posted by milan kyuubi View Post
And he will need to pass the title on the next winner.
This means that there will only be one member in the group at a time, and that the member will only be in this group for a month (unless they consecutively win). Worth it?

What's stopping contest winners having 'SOTM Winner' in their custom user titles? You don't even need to be in a group for that...
Old 2011-01-12, 03:20   Link #316
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
What's stopping contest winners having 'SOTM Winner' in their custom user titles? You don't even need to be in a group for that...
Anyone could also write "World boxing champion" does it have any value? Nope.

Personally I like the idea of just using signature addins better, for several reasons:
  • they are easy to make (usually the winning submission is used as a source)
  • Solace is already periodically making a banner; how hard can it be to crop a contest entry and add something like:
    "Some Theme" SotM July/2010 Winner
  • if you win the contest n times, you have then n of them; the thing is like your little medal which you can use when you wish - assuming Solace would make them just the right size
  • it works good as a prize for 2nd and 3rd place
The only problem is
  • the contest needs to be officially recognized (which I think it is already)
  • so that, fraud attempts can be removed by moderators
Old 2011-01-12, 03:51   Link #317
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Why do we even need a custom group membership title for the SOTM winner? The winner can easily put that information into either their signature or their custom user title.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-12, 04:03   Link #318
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

They want it to stand out a bit (for ex. bold, colored, italic) D: .. which is impossible for normal user, unlike me and my title, but that because I'm awesome, so mine are bold

Joking aside, I dont think it is that vital too much to have them, it added unnecessary workload for the mods (specifically Solace since he was he one most responsible for SotM)
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-12, 13:04   Link #319
JRendell
Manga Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNA View Post
I dont think it is that vital too much to have them, it added unnecessary workload for the mods (specifically Solace since he was he one most responsible for SotM)
I'll second this. I also think it would be detracting from why we have the contest too. Some members would then be entering the contest for the sole purpose of obtaining one of these 'signature adins'.

AS isn't a GFX community.
Old 2011-01-12, 13:21   Link #320
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
I'll second this. I also think it would be detracting from why we have the contest too. Some members would then be entering the contest for the sole purpose of obtaining one of these 'signature adins'
I don't know, it seem to be a rather hollow reason ...
but in another hand peoples act on worse reason everyday.

Anyway I am not even sure if the SOTM could be qualified as ''Official'' even now.

Tags
contest, signature, sotm