Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2005-12-24, 18:07   Link #1
NeoSam

Victorian Romance Emma

英國戀物語エマ

http://www.emma-victorian.com/

Its based on a manga thats serialized in the seinen(young men's) manga magazine Comic Beam.
There are 7 volumes released of this manga (its finished), here are the covers:

There is also; Emma Victorian Guide:

Info from AnimeNfo:

Quote:
It’s a love story begin with a casual encounter. As time passes, their love grows and the relation is getting closer. However, the severe reality interferes with their love - Social Hierarchy. It is a love story of a maid and a gentry goes in London at the end of 19th century.

Emma is a modest girl who seldom expresses her emotion. But she smiled when she met William. He looks week, but he is honest and keeps nothing from others. She has spent modest lives, while William lives in a gorgeous society. Although they know they are not allowed to love, but they cannot help being attracted.

The appearances of Hakim of an Indian royal family, Elenor, the third daughter of a viscount add extra touch to the love story. Then, their love is swayed by the objection of William’s father, and the death of Kerry who has taken after Emma since her childhood.

During the time of revolution, confronting the social convention, what conclusion will Emma and William make?
Emma is a seinen manga/anime.

Genre: Seinen, Drama, Romance, Slice-Of-Life

The anime is 12 episodes, and it has been fully fansubbed by the wonderful group IIchan Translation Group, the episodes can be found here.

Mangaka: Kaoru Mori (森薫)
The mangaka has also done another slice of life seinen manga called: Shirley.

Last edited by NeoSam; 2006-05-24 at 07:45.
Old 2005-12-25, 02:35   Link #2
Mangaka-chan

I wonder if they'll make a continuation of the Emma anime. A dozen episodes is hardly enough to keep up with all that's happened in Emma and I felt disappointed with the anime's ending.
Old 2005-12-25, 03:21   Link #3
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

I for one applaude the decision to reduce the initial series lenght from 26 to 12 episodes. The manga is far from complete and it would have been an even bigger cop-out to inflict a definate end to the show while the writing is still ongoing. The money that would have been spent on 26 episodes of anime instead was concentrated into both the research and animation for making Emma. Next to Kamichu, Emma is pretty well flawless from the tight direction, excellent voice work, excellent animated detail [pay attention to the background, there is usually some small story going on- like Al cheating at cards ], great music [I preordered the OST. ] and an ending that leaves the viewers begging for more.

Quality over quantity, and all that from avoiding the usual cliche of the militant and fierce combat maid [see He is My Master for conparison].

One thing IItrans missed in their guide: that clockwork tea-maker William was seen using actually exists. I'll post the site when I get back from the holidays, but that's the sort of detail the producers of this show went into that fully set it apart from anything else made in 2005.
Old 2005-12-25, 05:21   Link #4
wao
OK.

I agree that it was a much better decision to make 12 episodes for now - I imagine there mustn't have been too big a budget; the magazine Emma runs in wasn't very popular, and it was at such a late timeslot. (I have the feeling we have to thank the director that it was produced so well... by the Better Side of Pierrot and with choice music and backgrounds) With 26 episodes I don't think it would've been so good - some bits would have to be rushed and the overall quality would probably drop...

It ended at a point which was excruciating, but still provided some kind of closure - a bittersweet ending, perhaps, but it's also a great advertisement for the great manga . Which won an Excellence Prize at the Japan Media Arts festival. iitran must be having some great sense of taste, for Kamichu won that prize at the Animation section...

I wouldn't mind it if they created a 2nd series, PROVIDED that...
1. It is of the same quality of the 1st series (or better, if possible)
2. Same staff
3. AFTER the manga is finished so that they can properly structure the story
4. No major edits. (And not a huge lot of minor ones. I thought the first season was ok though, even with the editing around for the Emma-at-William's-house bit).
Old 2005-12-26, 20:35   Link #5
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

Look Familiar

http://www.teasmade.com/clarke.htm

Thumbs up for the quaint and quirky stuff made in Victorian England.
Old 2006-03-29, 09:18   Link #6
NeoSam

There was something that i wanted to mention before but I forgot about it >.<

There were released animation guides to Emma, a total of two volumes.

Emma Animation Guide vol.1 and vol.2

Also an Emma novel: a total of two volumes, I think (got published under the label Famitsu Bunko)

Old 2006-04-13, 19:51   Link #7
NeoSam

The last chapter of Emma manga got serialized in May's issue (released on April 12, 2006) of Comic Beam magazine.

May's issue of the seinen manga magazine Comic Beam:

Old 2006-04-14, 00:43   Link #8
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam
The last chapter of Emma manga got serialized in May's issue (released on April 12, 2006) of Comic Beam magazine.

May's issue of the seinen manga magazine Comic Beam:
Last?! As in, the story is over?! No more Emma?

* NoSanninWa sniffs sadly.

Well, on the bright side, now that the manga is completed, perhaps someone will decided that this is the perfect time to renew a second season of the Emma anime, and continue the story to its conclusion.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-05-24, 07:44   Link #9
NeoSam

The last volume (volume 7) of Emma manga will be released tomorrow (25/5/2006)

Here's the cover of it:

And, yes >.< Emma came to an end >.<
Old 2006-05-24, 08:14   Link #10
Rion
Ramune~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner of Anime
Look Familiar

http://www.teasmade.com/clarke.htm

Thumbs up for the quaint and quirky stuff made in Victorian England.
Oh my gosh, how lovely! I was already amazed by this when I saw it in the anime *___* I would buy it right away!

Quote:
Well, on the bright side, now that the manga is completed, perhaps someone will decided that this is the perfect time to renew a second season of the Emma anime, and continue the story to its conclusion.
I hope so too! The anime covered the first 3 volumes, right? Then another season with 13 episodes should be feasible... I hope that Emma will become successful outside of Japan.
Old 2007-06-30, 17:31   Link #11
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Right Stuf have announced the license for both seasons of Emma at Anime Expo 2007. See AoD and ANN for more details.
Old 2008-06-27, 09:09   Link #12
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Received shipping confirmation yesterday for the Season 1 Boxset for Emma: A Victorian Romance. Look forward to watching this series again, more so when they release the second boxset.

The Season 1 boxset contains 4 DVDs and inlcudes all 12 episodes, the full retail price is $50 but you can find it for under $30 online (example, $28.22 from DVDPacific, $29.99 from AnimeNation)
Old 2008-06-27, 10:44   Link #13
Nervous Venus

Mine is actually coming in the mail this afternoon. I'm actually confused, since Emma's release date wasn't until the 24th, but deepdiscount sent mine out on the 19th ?? I bought it at $27.68 w/ free shipping >>; Maybe it's a glitch in the system or something, because they normally send my preorder stuff on the preordered date.

Oh, well. Still I'm glad it's coming, and can't wait. Although I've already seen emma s 1 two times, there's no harm in having it to watch over 50 more times
Old 2008-06-27, 11:14   Link #14
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous Venus View Post
I'm actually confused, since Emma's release date wasn't until the 24th
As I mentioned in another thread, it's not that unusual for a lot of the online stores to ship DVDs something like 2 weeks before the official release date (the idea being is that the parcel would arrive around the same time as the official release). It's another incentive to get people to pre-order using mail-order. In general, brick and mortar shops aren't allowed to sell the product before the release date but mail-order shops are allowed to ship early.

In this case my Emma DVD box-set was shipped 2 days after the release date but for example my Lucky Star Vol 2 was shipped on 19th June while the release date is the 1st July, School Rumble OVA was shipped on the 2nd June 15 days before the official release date. Being shipped about 2 weeks early is the norm, not the exception.
Old 2008-06-28, 06:23   Link #15
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Hmmm... sounds like a short but concise series to jump into, and Touma Yumi as the female lead. Despite her many roles, somehow I always end up missing her.
Old 2008-07-07, 05:43   Link #16
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Received the box-set this morning. Looks nice, four (slimpack) DVDs along with a 96 page "Emma Victorian Gazette" book inside the box. Takes up about the same room as 3 standard sized DVDs.

I'm impressed by the book, Emma Victorian Gazette, it's full of drawings, references, "articles" on the series and so on. When it comes to extras, I much prefer this sort of item more than anything included on the DVD.

Tremendous value for money as well, all 12 episodes along with the book for under $30. The slim format works for me since it takes up less shelf space (given the number of DVDs I have this is a plus).
Old 2008-07-07, 17:41   Link #17
Nervous Venus

I suppose the fact that there aren't dubs available may have something to do with the price?
I'm not missing the dubs one bit though, as I love the Japanese voice cast. The extras are a bit thin. I'm not complaining. It's just my wishful thinking speaking here: a few audio commentaries, or a short interview with the director, would have been nice, but the booklet is nice also. I thought it was quite a treat

My 9 year old brother actually came to sit and watch this with me (he was waiting for his older siblings to come home so they could play PSO), which was surprising. Normally, he'd be all fussy with all the dialgoue and go " Where's all the action?", but he didn't say anything. He only complained when I covered his eyes at the end of the Crystal Palace ep, lol.

I'm also surprised that despite knowing everything that happened beforehand, I still enjoyed this series as much as I did when I first saw it a year or so ago. I'll be finishing up ep 10 - 12 sometime this week hopefully.
Closed Thread

Tags
drama, historical, romance, seinen