AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valvrave the Liberator

Notices

View Poll Results: Valvrave the Liberator - Total Series Rating
Perfect 10 5 5.95%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 8 9.52%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 20 23.81%
7 out of 10 : Good 23 27.38%
6 out of 10 : Average 18 21.43%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.38%
4 out of 10 : Poor 5 5.95%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.19%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 2.38%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-12-28, 17:19   Link #21
_Misfit

This show would have been a 10/10 if it had used Ponderosa Twins Plus One's "Bound" durning Lise's death scene. That could have saved the entire show.

In all seriousness, I'm in total agreement with Thess. Realistically, I can't see giving this show anything higher than a 6; but hell, I enjoyed my time with this show a lot. It was a magnificent roller coaster ride. It had some very noticeable bumps, but whatever man. I threw up my lunch after that ride, and I'll remember that for a long time with a smile on my face.
Old 2013-12-28, 17:20   Link #22
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

The first time I watched this I wondered why everyone was talking about it if since the first episode felt like a Gundam rehash due to the villains' invasion and the kid piloting a robot to protect the place. Then the cliffhanger "....Space vampire?" The fun thing about the show was how it was the opposite of Gundam. It didn't want to be taken seriously. In the second episode I laughed a lot at how ridiculous it was that kids stole a mecha all by themselves and the revelation that Shoko survived was very anticlimatic. It kind of reminded me to Sengoku Basara but then...

Around the first season's second half things got really dark. Then in the second season Okouchi was taken over by his inner Tomino and started killing characters five minutes after they had development. "Hey, I'm not a monster right *Dead*" "So I had friends *dead*", "I found a coin *dead*" Lieselotte has to be the biggest example. She had some build up and a minute after seeing L-elf, she dropped dead. I didn't expect brillant writing but the "Bakemono" episode was quite pushing it. I think the best developed character was A-drei. It's also a shame all relationships were barely explored. The flashforwards quite a waste of screentime. Some characters like L-elf weren't really likeable until mid season 2 but it was too late to care.

The finale felt like Zeta Gundam but far more overthetop. They really treated it as a happy ending which seemed wrong. I expected to be trolled and the last two minutes proved me right. They forgot to explain several things and even added aliens.

Still I found the series fun. I give this series 6,4000 Runes and 23 Senators Moses. What does that mean? Sorry, too lazy to give an actual score.

Last edited by Mad Pierrot; 2013-12-28 at 19:45.
Old 2013-12-28, 17:43   Link #23
finalfury
Incognito

6/10 overall, 8.5/10 for enjoyment, managed to stumble across a similar character to Haruto but so much better developed than Haruto. Okouchi-sensei, take notes please.
will update later.
Old 2013-12-28, 19:02   Link #24
Piesum

7/10 Didn't really resound with me as much as other series, or make me really feel for the characters as much, but it was still an interesting story and of course, entertaining. If it was just entertainment alone, I'd say 8.5/10.
The music was very good by the way, served its purpose quite well, and the operatic excerpts really matched the drama of the series.
Old 2013-12-28, 19:18   Link #25
ReinZwei
南宮 那月

On season 1, I thought it's like a macross x code geass thingy, really enjoyed that season and that cliffhanger at the last episode made me expect more on season2..

Season 2 started with a blast and I thought it will continue on the good vibes that the series is giving to me... not until the final few episodes left..

First blow for me was the destruction of Shoko's image (rather far from season 1 wherein she's one of the main important key elements in the series), in season 2 she's just like a props...and what's more... she became an antogonist like heroine ~_~

But the one who made the K.O. punch was the rushed ending wherein it really left an impression of nahhhh or mehhhh.

Overall S1 is really enjoyable and I can rate it 8 or higher than that same as first half of 2 (dorssian territory and to Lieselotte's farewell episode which I think was brilliantly executed)

last episodes, I can rate it with 6 or below for the absurd plotholes and the blasted timeskip.... (and to be honest I want to see Saki mourn on the final minutes but where is she!!, and for Shoko, is that all? want to see how she was able to be the pilot of the Unit1 and what's her resolution/resolve for that.
IM@S Avatars: Click Me
Old 2013-12-29, 01:17   Link #26
~BC~

I would have given this a 7/10 if not for the very deliberate way the writers tanked the story in the end. My appreciation for the main four all took a hit either due to a lack of focus or inconsistent characterization. Doesn't help that the sexual assault in ep. 10 never got an explanation thus rendering it as a cheap attempt to garner attention (as many of us suspected).

There is so much wasted potential with this series. The early episodes of season 2 showed that the writers could bring proper gravitas to the story when need be but they just couldn't resist falling back on gimmicks when convenient. I did enjoy the soundtrack though it's nothing to write home about. I enjoyed all of the openings and endings to varying degrees.

So yeah, overall it gets a 6/10.
Old 2013-12-29, 02:24   Link #27
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Being serious, this was bad. The plot was horrible, and that is being generous. All the events that happened, including:school election, making their own country, public reaction, the so called coup and more, were ridiculous and the pace they happened were way too quick. Events being spontaneous just killed my suspension of disbelief in this show. Seems like people in this universe don't even ponder or think, they just take things as it goes. Even some of the plot points happened way too quickly, Marie's death and her so call past, ancient alien and more. The lack of foreshadowing in most of the things were really bad and they mostly felt like the writers just pulled it out of their ass.

The characters were also horrible. Can't even call Haruto main character, all of his action in my eyes were just reactionary and he doesn't seem to think. The over reliance L-Elf made the character weak and seem to have hindered his growth as character. His saving grace in the show was that he was the one that awaken L-Elf and rekindle his desire to live. And lets look at some the character's death, like Marie and Liselotte, here is the thing, I did not give a damn about them. They barely had any lines in the show, and one we mostly saw in flashback. The way they died and the fact that I had to care about them was just not possible. And as L-Elf said, him loving her despite meeting her twice was ludicrous.

And mech design, disappointing as hell. I would have like to see more variation, especially with Valvraves. Most of the Valvrave had similar looks to them aside from color and weapons. With more variation I think it would have gave them more uniqueness. The Dorssian mechs were disappointing, at least Valvrave having lack of variation make somewhat sense, albeit poor one at that, as shown in the plot. But Dorssian being large military force, should had more variation with their weapons.

4/10.

Now if I were to consider this a comedy 10/10
Old 2013-12-29, 05:07   Link #28
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Animation Quality: 10
not a huge fan of this art... but the mecha fight are awesome
<3 <3 love it!!!

Voice Actors: 8
nothing really special from the VA though... I think I would give special compliment to Akira's VA
and maybe... Lieselotte, L-Elf, Shoko, Rukino, Haruto, Marie... all of them have a matched voice with their characters

Script: 6
egh!!!!! totally trainwreck....
the picture in image thread already perfectly pictured this anime (explaining each episode in one sentence)
Space vampires, Love triangles, Three-sided space wars, over-powered mecha, an adorable princess, a school become a country, betrayal, mindbreak, etc....
and finally the sinking of all romance ships....
that's expected from a combination between Gundam SEED with Guilty Crown
I hate the ending and all plot holes in the end although this series started off very well until last episode
lastly, I still don't know what's going on at the end of this series

Soundtrack: 10
Preserved Roses, Soba ni Iru Yo, Kakumeiki Dualism, Realism, and that last ending song
the soundtracks are also awesome
one of Valvrave's strong point!

Enjoyment: 12/10
well, this is the weird thing
we know how bad this shows from first season but we just can't stop watching.....
then we just realized how much time we have spent for this anime
yeah.. somehow those weird plots are pretty enjoyable
you got me, Valvrave!!! you got mee!!

Emotional Involvement: 10
Mostly because of the drama.... Saki-Haruto's interaction, L-elf X Haruto, L-Elf x Lieselotte, and Akira-chan
well, the drama is enjoyable... we could react to every betrayal happened and for every single badass thing L-Elf did...
lastly, the death of characters are just..... sad.... yeah, very sad
still regretting why they don't give Saki a happy ending..

Replace Shoko with Haruto and the ending would be perfect.. and I would give 10/10 score for Valvrave...

9/10 for Valvrave (mostly because I enjoy the show and wait for the release every friday)
Old 2013-12-29, 08:22   Link #29
Allium
Keep on keeping on

Despite the ending, which I can say makes episode 25 the worst episode of season 2 for me, I still enjoyed Valvrave, overall. The character designs were nice (those eyes), the mecha designs looked good as a whole and the music (especially the OPs, EDs) was great. The story isn't anything special; it's stamped with Okouchi and mecha anime references and stereotypes but most of the characters were likeable enough - especially L-elf, Saki, Akira, Satomi and many more - to make me continue with the show.

When VVV first started airing I thought that it would consist of 50 episodes, or at least be 3-cour. Too bad that that didn't come to fruition - I'm sure things would've been wrapped up more neatly and plotholes could be easily filled up if that had been the case. But that's all we have, anyway. Gonna give it a 7/10. It was not great, no way a top tier mecha anime, but still good enough to entertain.
Old 2013-12-29, 18:12   Link #30
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Right so was not sure if I should bother giving this anime a more generous "try." Read though this thread. Still not sure.

When everyone's opinion is all over the place from "watched it cuz it's a nice b-movie" to "did not like cuz the seriousness didnt come though" and half the opinion is in the magic numbers might as well add up apples and oranges and modulo some random dice roll.

Guess rating threads have zero usefulness when looking for recommendations. -.=" the irony
Old 2013-12-29, 21:07   Link #31
VTHokiePride

I'd give this series a 9/10. I found it very enjoyable, each episode didn't have fanservice, the animation and soundtrack were great. The voice actors were pretty good and the plot twists kept me involved in the show. I really wish Haruto and Shoko had something in the end and they filled in some plot holes, but I found this series very enjoyable. I'll pick up a copy of the series when it is available.
Old 2013-12-30, 04:48   Link #32
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

Mk95's overall series impression & series rating.

• Voice acting was good. [ie it wasn't bland to me]
  • Animation quality & CGI was good.
  • Music was good.
  • Entertainment value for me was reasonable.
  • Character designs were also nice to look at, even the mob character that had more than one line...XD

My major problem was with the plot. Season one's pacing was slow with the pilot introductions taking up the entire season, it was also when the show established itself as a show that doesn't take itself seriously. By the second half of season one, the show got progressively darker, but still maintained itself as one that can be silly.

Season two is when the series began to take itself too seriously & this is where the downward spiral began. Surprisingly, the first half of season two was actually enjoyable/well done IMO. It started getting ridiculous around the time of Lise's death. It got progressively sillier as we drew closer to the end.

The pointless killing of a lot of characters is another thing that threw things into chaos. Lise being used as a plot device, the genocide, X-Eins, Kyuuma or even Thunder. They didn't necessarily need to be killed off, it cheapened the writing IMO to use their deaths to progress the plot.

Now for the thing that I'm having the most trouble swallowing, the series finale. Honestly one of the worst endings to a series I've ever seen. So bad its not funny.
The ending alone ruined the episode itself for me. the episode itself was solid up until Cain died. I didn't have any problems until the flashforward rolled in, that is what killed the episode.

We have a random wedding out of nowhere [At least Ogi's & Viletta's was foreshadowed in CG], Saki & godmother Akira giving a history lesson to the Prince & the biggest wtf the episode had to offer, Shoko replacing Haruto. I'm not mad that she took Haruto's place, but what got me mad was that there was no foreshadowing whatsoever as to why/how she became Unit one's pilot. Then we have some random ass aliens just bursting in at literally the last second of the episode with Shoko giving her version of Haruto's famous "lets share" speech. -_-

Not to mention the large amount of plot holes that Sunrise didn't bother to cover. We have the Prince's origin being blatantly ignored, the 3GR's upstart being skipped, the war with the cow nation not mentioned outside episode 7, the Golden 7, what became of L-Elf after the wedding, etc...

Don't get me wrong, I still like this series, but lets face it, the ending was shit. I'll rewatch in future. Its a good way to kill time & enjoy some mecha fights. Lets not forget the wtfs [Good & Bad] that this series has given us over the course of its two cours.

My overall score would be between 7-8. This can't be a 10. Shame on you guys for the 10 vote...lol Also, 1 is too harsh, someone's just kinda mad that their ship didn't happen.

Please note that this is my subjective opinion on the series & not an official review. Just making sure to point that out since some members jump at the chance to dissect posts. -_-
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.

Last edited by MK-95-; 2013-12-30 at 20:11.
Old 2013-12-30, 05:21   Link #33
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangakid95 View Post
We have a random wedding out of nowhere [At least Ogi'd & Viletta's was foreshadowed in CG], Saki & godmother Akira giving a history lesson to the Prince & the biggest wtf the episode had to offer, Shoko replacing Haruto. I'm not mad that she took Haruto's place, but what got me mad was that there was no foreshadowing whatsoever as to why/how she became Unit one's pilot. Then we have some random ass aliens just bursting in at literally the last second of the episode with Shoko giving her version of Haruto's famous "lets share" speech. -_-
The Dorssia and the Council of 101 part of the flashforward was good, I think with the complex world geopolitics shaping anew and maybe Shoko crying with Haruto's helmet. It's just the new nation side of the things where they drop the ball and badly.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2013-12-30, 08:01   Link #34
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
The far-flung future scenes were a mistake. For the entire show. They clearly had no set plans whatsoever for it, so it ends up feeling like a horrible tease.

I largely agreed with mangkid95's review, except I kinda liked Satomi/Takahi's wedding. The show needed something special to make the ending seem at least a bit happy, and it also provided a good pretext for putting Saki and Kriem into stunning outfits.

Plus, Satomi and Takahi were almost joined at the hip the entire 2nd season. Granted, it was much more BFFs than romance but it's still foreshadowing enough, I think. ...At least it wasn't Satomi/Iori, which honestly would have felt wrong after the last few episodes.
Old 2013-12-30, 08:28   Link #35
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

I've got to say, SatomixTakahi is the only thing I enjoyed about the ending. Though admittedly if I were her, certain people wouldn't have made the guestlist, so that ruins it a bit- still the only highlight.
Everything else was painful to watch.
Old 2013-12-30, 09:59   Link #36
II Maestro

The Story is excellent(except for the unanswered questions).

Music in this series is definitely the best that Its not boring to listen especially:
•Preserved Roses by T.M.Revolution x Nana Mizuki
•Kakumei Dualism
•Soba ni Iru yo by ELISA
•REALISM by ELISA
•Can you save my heart? by Momoko Kanade
Old 2013-12-30, 10:45   Link #37
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Triple_R You said the show would have benefited from an iron-fisted editor on another thread. What would you have changed or taken out?

That questions applies to anyone else who might want to answer it.
Old 2013-12-30, 13:14   Link #38
justsomeguy

I think most of the show's problems can be traced back to its horrible pacing. After Shoko declared independence, the rest of season one became devoted to adding new Valvrave pilots, with the only plot progress being Cain's invasion at the end. Season two bogged down while the characters were on Earth, accomplishing little other than rescuing a few scientists and failing to save Liselotte, whose role was solely to explain the Magius to Haruto.

The ending was rushed, which I expected ever since season two began, but I'll give credit to the writer for having an open-ended, not entirely happy ending. The revelation of the Magius and their manipulation of the world, and the goal of creating a state where humans and other lifeforms can coexist, are way too big to resolve and would take years, and the end result is an empire. That the surviving characters eventually accomplished something was good to know, but the aliens showing up at the last second was silly.

The focus characters all tended to be well developed, and none were hateable, except maybe Shoko. Haruto and the other pilots were all noble, and willing to protect Module 77 despite having issues with losing their humanity or being hated. L-Elf was great for his cynicism and cold competence. Shoko, despite rejecting the Valvrave pilots as monsters, eventually did redeem herself by becoming one and continuing with their goal (no I don't think that popped out of nowhere, it was almost inevitable once she talked to Pino and found out the truth).

Final Score: 7.5/10. The show really needed to be planned out better, but there's enough good stuff that I can't honestly call it a disaster. If I were to look at this show as the introduction to a larger story, then it's actually quite good.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
Old 2013-12-30, 13:26   Link #39
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by KleenexGhost View Post
Triple_R You said the show would have benefited from an iron-fisted editor on another thread. What would you have changed or taken out?
Well, I think I've been pretty clear I would have removed the far-flung future parts entirely. They took up a significant amount of time, and they focused on things that went absolutely nowhere.

What would I replace them with? Well, you'd have to replace them with more present!Saki scenes since her character was perhaps the only one that actually benefited from the far-flung future parts. In other words, Saki needs more scenes to make up for this loss. So I'd probably show more Saki mech-action, more Saki/Haruto interaction, maybe more Saki/A-Drei interaction (in Season 2).

Beyond that, the main question is this - Do we completely rework the plot (basically scrap the entire 2nd season and start from scratch), or do we fine-tune it as best as possible? The basic plot itself is flawed in some ways - It trades off the general goofiness/happiness of Season 1 for something much heavier and dramatic and bloody. There's pros and cons here. But since reworking the entire plot would be very hard, let's look at fine-tuning it.

So, the main thing that needs to be fixed here is Shouko. Since I think it was reaction to her actions in the ARUS Purge episode that really started the negative fan reactions (not just to Shouko specifically, but to the show in general).

The following is a fine-tuning that I'd favor...

Everything up to Haruto being tricked on that vessel remains the same. Shouko getting upset at Haruto I'd keep the same. But I'd have Iori simply mutiny, and do more of a full heel turn here.

I might have Iori say the following to Shouko, "So this is the inhuman monster that you expect us to trust, and have faith in?! This... this... THING that somehow can survive a bullet straight through the heart?! Only a fool could trust a murderous monster like that, and so you're not fit to be Prime Minister. I'm taking charge!"

Shouko looks like she's about to say something back to that, but in the heat of disappointment over Haruto keeping the truth from her, she can't muster anything up. She backs down, pained expression on her face, folding under Iori's intense mutiny. However, Shouko is no longer the person to sell out Haruto/L-Elf to Anderson (Iori does this via successful mutiny), which I think would result in more viewers being more forgiving to her.

Iori announces that she's taking over, and orders the Valvrave pilots to stand down while Haruto and L-Elf are handed over to ARUS. Kyuma takes decisive action as he did before, and goes out a hero as he did before.

And then Shouko finally snaps out of it, and snaps at Iori.

"Are you satisfied now? Are you entertained?!" Shouko screams at Iori

(Bonus - This almost certainly sparks loads of "Are you entertained?!" Shouko internet memes; great free advertising for Valvrave It would also spark viewers saying "Woah, dude, that's so meta - It's like Shouko is saying that we mecha fans can only be entertained by sad tragedies and characters dying in explosive moments. It's such biting meta-commentary, man!")

Following episode follows the same script, except Shouko successfully seizes control back from Iori, arguing that Kyuma's sacrifices proves that as non-human as the Valvrave pilots may be, they are still clearly loyal and heroic soldiers fighting for the people of Module 77. I'd also keep the Shouko-in-Haruto's-Valvrave scene, since I found that pretty effective, and I think with my changes, it would still be effective. I also felt that the Haruto/L-Elf moon scenes were pretty good. Maybe a bit drawn out, so I might cut down on them a bit to give more screen-time to Saki and A-Drei talking.

In the 2nd-last episode, the Valvrave pilots are welcomed on-board by a contrite and humbled crew (as opposed to the very different scene that we did get ). Shouko and Haruto have a private discussion, and apologize to each other. I'd aim to make it as touching a scene as possible. I'd end with Haruto saying, "To make up for lying to you, I'm going to reveal to you the most important truth now facing all of us. The hidden truth of our world!"

I'd add one more brief scene to cement Iori's defeat, and make it clear she made the wrong decision. She rushes to Satomi, expressing joy over how he's alive. He thanks her for her words, but you can tell he's half-hearted about it. He has a stern look on his face.

"What's wrong?" Iori asks.

"You turned on the Valvrave pilots. That means you turned on Akira. I can't abide by that." Satomi answers, before turning and walking away from her.

"Satomi, wait!" Iori shouts, as she tries to chase after him.

"I think you've done enough, don't you?" Takahi asks, blocking Iori's pursuit.

To tighten up the co-exist theme, I'd either have at least one magius-possessed human successfully receive amnesty from Module 77 or I'd have the Council of 101 put on trial (and jailed) rather than simply massacred. As an Editor, I'd probably say to the writer(s) - "It's one or the other. Your choice."

These are the main changes I'd make, I think.

Other changes I might make...

1) Thunder doesn't die. He gets saved and rushed to medical attention by Akira.

2) Saki has more mecha-action in the finale, gets involved in the Cain/Haruto fight.

3) Haruto's eyes black out just like Marie's did, so we don't have to put up with debates on whether he lived or not.

I'm not sure on this last three. I get mangakid95's point on how there were so many deaths in Season 2 that they started to feel a bit cheap. By the same token though, there is something poetic in the way Thunder and Haruto went out. A character like Thunder is pretty much tailor-made to go out in a blaze of glory. Still, I like the idea of Akira doing a bit more, and her saving Thunder might be a good moment for her.

I hope fellow Valvrave fans liked at least some of my ideas here.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2013-12-30 at 13:47.
Old 2013-12-30, 13:58   Link #40
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Well, I think I've been pretty clear I would have removed the far-flung future parts entirely. They took up a significant amount of time, and they focused on things that went absolutely nowhere.

What would I replace them with? Well, you'd have to replace them with more present!Saki scenes since her character was perhaps the only one that actually benefited from the far-flung future parts. In other words, Saki needs more scenes to make up for this loss. So I'd probably show more Saki mech-action, more Saki/Haruto interaction, maybe more Saki/A-Drei interaction (in Season 2).
I endorse this. Especially her interacting with other characters more. Actually make a relationship out of Haruto and Saki. I'm not saying it has to be romantic, but at least make it show that she cares about more than just trying to throw herself at him. If they kept her around more during the earlier parts of this season they could have had a scene where Haruto was despairing about his condition, viewing himself as a monster and possibly ending up like Marie. Saki could try and talk some sense into him and try to console him. Give him some much needed support.

In general one of the things I wanted more of was interactions between the pilots off the battlefield. Tighten and strengthen their bonds. Make them feel like more of a team.

Quote:
So, the main thing that needs to be fixed here is Shouko. Since I think it was reaction to her actions in the ARUS Purge episode that really started the negative fan reactions (not just to Shouko specifically, but to the show in general).

The following is a fine-tuning that I'd favor...

Everything up to Haruto being tricked on that vessel remains the same. Shouko getting upset at Haruto I'd keep the same. But I'd have Iori simply mutiny, and do more of a full heel turn here.

I might have Iori say the following to Shouko, "So this is the inhuman monster that you expect us to trust, and have faith in?! This... this... THING that somehow can survive a bullet straight through the heart?! Only a fool could trust a murderous monster like that, and so you're not fit to be Prime Minister. I'm taking charge!"
Quote:
Shouko looks like she's about to say something back to that, but in the heat of disappointment over Haruto keeping the truth from her, she can't muster anything up. She backs down, pained expression on her face, folding under Iori's intense mutiny. However, Shouko is no longer the person to sell out Haruto/L-Elf to Anderson (Iori does this via successful mutiny), which I think would result in more viewers being more forgiving to her.

Iori announces that she's taking over, and orders the Valvrave pilots to stand down while Haruto and L-Elf are handed over to ARUS. Kyuma takes decisive action as he did before, and goes out a hero as he did before.

And then Shouko finally snaps out of it, and snaps at Iori.

"Are you satisfied now? Are you entertained?!" Shouko screams at Iori

(Bonus - This almost certainly sparks loads of "Are you entertained?!" Shouko internet memes; great free advertising for Valvrave It would also spark viewers saying "Woah, dude, that's so meta - It's like Shouko is saying that we mecha fans can only be entertained by sad tragedies and characters dying in explosive moments. It's such biting meta-commentary, man!")
I agree with this. Personally, I'm surprised the writers didn't try to throw something like that in there in terms of social commentary. I mean we already got them criticizing democracy and possibly glorifying WWII-era Japan.

Quote:
Following episode follows the same script, except Shouko successfully seizes control back from Iori, arguing that Kyuma's sacrifices proves that as non-human as the Valvrave pilots may be, they are still clearly loyal and heroic soldiers fighting for the people of Module 77. I'd also keep the Shouko-in-Haruto's-Valvrave scene, since I found that pretty effective, and I think with my changes, it would still be effective. I also felt that the Haruto/L-Elf moon scenes were pretty good. Maybe a bit drawn out, so I might cut down on them a bit to give more screen-time to Saki and A-Drei talking.
I would have liked to seen L-Elf call Haruto out on being over-reliant on his strategies and intelligence. Call him a sentimental-fool who can't even think for himself. Haruto could respond by saying L-Elf is no better than he is in terms of sentimentality. L-Elf starting all this because he wanted to save Lise. It could lead into Haruto revealing that Lise was a Magius.

Quote:
In the 2nd-last episode, the Valvrave pilots are welcomed on-board by a contrite and humbled crew (as opposed to the very different scene that we did get ). Shouko and Haruto have a private discussion, and apologize to each other. I'd aim to make it as touching a scene as possible. I'd end with Haruto saying, "To make up for lying to you, I'm going to reveal to you the most important truth now facing all of us. The hidden truth of our world!"
THIS! This is a resolution I would enjoy.

Quote:
I'd add one more brief scene to cement Iori's defeat, and make it clear she made the wrong decision. She rushes to Satomi, expressing joy over how he's alive. He thanks her for her words, but you can tell he's half-hearted about it. He has a stern look on your face.

"What's wrong?" Iori asks.

"You turned on the Valvrave pilots. That means you turned on Akira. I can't abide by that." Satomi answers, before turning and walking away from her.

"Satomi, wait!" Iori shouts, as she tries to chase after him.

"I think you've done enough, don't you?" Takahi asks, blocking Iori's pursuit.
Maybe Namikawa could even deliver the line in his serious voice. Hopefully, spilled their drink on Iori at the wedding reception.

Quote:
To tighten up the co-exist theme, I'd either have at least one magius-possessed human successfully receive amnesty from Module 77 or I'd have the Council of 101 put on trial (and jailed) rather than simply massacred. As an Editor, I'd probably say to the writer(s) - "It's one or the other. Your choice."
Or maybe even have a Magius who just wants to co-exist come to the Module seeking refuge.

Quote:
Other changes I might make...

1) Thunder doesn't die. He gets saved and rushed to medical attention by Akira.

2) Saki has more mecha-action in the finale, gets involved in the Cain/Haruto fight.

3) Haruto's eyes black out just like Marie's did, so we don't have to put up with debates on whether he lived or not.

I'm not sure on this last three. I get mangakid95's point on how there were so many deaths in Season 2 that they started to feel a bit cheap. By the same token though, there is something poetic in the way Thunder and Haruto went out. A character like Thunder is pretty much tailor-made to go out in a blaze of glory. Still, I like the idea of Akira doing a bit more, and her saving Thunder might be a good moment for her.

I hope fellow Valvrave fans liked at least some of my ideas here.
Personally, I would take THAT scene out of episode 10. It essentially amounted to nothing and can be replaced by Haruto simply attacking Saki and feeding of her Runes.

Also give a more definitive end to H-Neun. Them not really producing a body and showing that Magius possess humans was teasing that someone possessing his body was incoming.

I like these changes. You took a wrench to the plot and gave it a good tightening.

I wanna see more suggestions on possible changes from others.