Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-04-24, 05:10   Link #361
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I'm still wondering why no one is bothering to question why she's there in the first place...
She’s a criminal and apparently this is a mixed prison (Ep1). Also, they can buy stuff in prison (note how the big guy had a cape) so her having that outfit shouldn’t be a surprise. As for her just walking around wherever she pleases, from the episode I got the impression there is no real internal security and the inmates can to some extent walk wherever they please; since if the run or hide they die anyway.
Old 2011-04-24, 05:42   Link #362
Lumir

Now that i think a bit more on this anime, it kind of gives of a running man feel. Collars that kill you, prison, deadly games... hmmm

Blast from the past:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ceegnWSENQ
Old 2011-04-24, 05:57   Link #363
Wakan Tanka

There's no point in speculation, just read the manga.
Old 2011-04-24, 06:19   Link #364
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante of the Inferno View Post
I agree that the final scene in the anime could have been more powerful, but I don't think the stabbing scene is the reason why. In the manga version of the Dog Race, Ganta seemed much more annoyed by Shiro's intervention. His only thought was of finishing the race for the Candy, while Shiro's only concern was having fun. As such, his internal monologue showed a lot more disdain for Shiro's carefree attitude, not noticing that Shiro saved him from certain death multiple times, but that she "nearly" knocked him into another deathtrap. It was this selfish attitude seeing a full reversal in the Final Stage that made the scene seem powerful. I find that oversight rather annoying, considering internal monologues last only 3-5 seconds, so a selfish thought here and there would have built up the tension while not taking away from the action.
That's a very good point. Still, I think the stabbing was also important since it made it clear to us readers and Ganta just how far Shiro is willing to go to protect him (she would gladly give up her life). Furthermore, thanks to this event in the manga, Shiro came across as slightly less dumb and oblivious than she did in the anime. At least, that's how it feels like to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehuty View Post
I can't think of her as Shiro, only as Nessa D:

the VA does absolutely nothing different, it's the exact same character feel D:
Maybe because they're the same type of character? Childish, playful and always cheerful. It's only natural she sounds the same. I don't really get all the complaints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
^^Died while having regrets, actually she mentioned already that she has a wish to be fullfilled, probably get her friends back together or remedy the trauma that her death caused them. Anyway, what is more obscure is why appear three years after her death... power of plot?
Wrong thread
Old 2011-04-24, 06:56   Link #365
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
not again they censored the gore scenes DAMN IT!!!
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 08:06   Link #366
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGUN H.E.X. View Post
not again they censored the gore scenes DAMN IT!!!
Ishihara Law will strike them hard if they did not censor it

nice opening song its full english i think
j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 08:13   Link #367
Jarmel

Manglobe does indeed do some fantastic OPs and Deadman is certainly no exception. I'm not a huge fan of the song but put together with the animation and it looks absolutely amazing.

Oh and are they completely cutting Asami out of the series?
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-24, 10:42   Link #368
Sinn
Pwnage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
Manglobe does indeed do some fantastic OPs and Deadman is certainly no exception. I'm not a huge fan of the song but put together with the animation and it looks absolutely amazing.

Oh and are they completely cutting Asami out of the series?
Yeah it wasn't that impressive in the trailer, but when the OP animation came out, BOOM, it boost up the song a WHOLE lot Now I'm a fan of the song and the OP.

Censoring the gore open up for more audiences, my friend couldn't stand watching gore, which I don't know why since she has seen worse,so I was hoping she would watch deadman anime as it's too good to be missed.
Old 2011-04-24, 11:40   Link #369
klare

the OP is quite fitting for the show, Shiro is simply... mysterious (she is not even afraid of dying)

the result of the dog race feels like anti-climax, i thought Ganta would use his power

can we expect dozens of people die in every eps?
Old 2011-04-24, 21:17   Link #370
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Dam going back to ancient Rome let the prisoners fight for there lives arena
Old 2011-04-24, 21:35   Link #371
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

At first I just thought the entertainment was going to be humiliating the prisoners to the brink of sadness, and making them feel like dirt. But apparently that can change without any schools watching for the fun.. But since there is a school but Ginta joined the race... They decided to bring in the bloodiness from this entertainment. Yep... Defiantly Roman Arena style entertainment here like Master_Yoma said.
Old 2011-04-24, 23:33   Link #372
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic

I don't know if Shiro is a prisoner there... as far as I can see, Shiro is missing the collar that serves as a ticking time bomb for everyone else. She might just be hiding the collar underneath her white bodysuit. Therefore, it needs to come off.

Actually, I don't even know if Shiro is human. Is she?
Deconstructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 00:17   Link #373
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deconstructor View Post
I don't know if Shiro is a prisoner there... as far as I can see, Shiro is missing the collar that serves as a ticking time bomb for everyone else. She might just be hiding the collar underneath her white bodysuit. Therefore, it needs to come off.

Well she's definitely durable. She planted that landing since her cord was one of hte bad ones that broke.

Too bad for those guys that Ganta joined the race since it suddenly got more deadly. I'm sure most of the time it's not that bad since they do need people alive in order for there to be something for the visitors to watch.

It's too bad about the missing character, but considering they are going to try and cram a lot into only 12/13 episodes it's not a huge surprise. If they followed it completely properly and at a chapter per episode they'd never even come close to a good breaking point. Here's hoping they can do a good job.

Anyways this was definitely a creepy episode in some ways. People just watching that scene without losing their heads. Some probably just believing it was special effects and the rest thinking that it doesn't matter since they are criminals anyways. The candy thing is also pretty critical. While the events aren't normally that bad the fact that death row inmates need to pay so much before 3 days are up is pretty nuts. Though they are supposed to die since it's death row, it's just a tough thing to pull off.
Old 2011-04-25, 01:46   Link #374
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
While the events aren't normally that bad the fact that death row inmates need to pay so much before 3 days are up is pretty nuts. Though they are supposed to die since it's death row, it's just a tough thing to pull off.
Well, the Dog Race is normally supposed to be far less... deadly.

And I'm sure there are easier and safer tasks to perform for less money. You just have to work every minute of your life as a petting zoo display in order to get enough money to buy a single piece of candy. For those who are more daring (or less willing to demean themselves for so long) there are risky competitions like the Dog Race.
Deconstructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 08:51   Link #375
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
I don't know if Shiro is a prisoner there... as far as I can see, Shiro is missing the collar that serves as a ticking time bomb for everyone else.
Is the collar really administering the poison? or are they just poisoned anyway and the collar is simply there for other purposes such as measuring the toxicity in the blood, their current position, etc. I was under the impression the collar wasn’t a bomb. If the collar was administering the poison then wouldn’t the convicts be more concerned with tacking it off, or putting it out of commission rather then getting the candy? The collar also doesn’t seem to have any dispenser, and it can’t be airborne or they risk the guards and public dieing.

Quote:
Because she has white hair? There’s a special condition that gives you white hair and red eyes, forgot the name.
Old 2011-04-25, 10:12   Link #376
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Because she has white hair? There’s a special condition that gives you white hair and red eyes, forgot the name.
Albinism - that's the condition you're looking for.
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 10:15   Link #377
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Because she took a smack on the back of her head with a shovel and woke up completely fine and then landed on two feet like a cat from a fall like that in the race. That's just insane.

Last edited by Haak; 2011-04-25 at 10:28.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 10:27   Link #378
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Is the collar really administering the poison? or are they just poisoned anyway and the collar is simply there for other purposes such as measuring the toxicity in the blood, their current position, etc. I was under the impression the collar wasn’t a bomb. If the collar was administering the poison then wouldn’t the convicts be more concerned with tacking it off, or putting it out of commission rather then getting the candy? The collar also doesn’t seem to have any dispenser, and it can’t be airborne or they risk the guards and public dieing.
Well I think there would be a few problems with that. Like any prisoner without a collar is probably shot on sight. Also the collar is slowly delivering poison and I'd guess any attempts to remove it would trigger a function to release all the poison instantly into the system. Or could be simple as having a taser function when sensing someone playing with it which would interfere with any attempts. These things are pretty high tech so I wouldn't be surprised with any sensors or anti-sabotage functions they might have.
Old 2011-04-25, 13:51   Link #379
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Well I think there would be a few problems with that. Like any prisoner without a collar is probably shot on sight. Also the collar is slowly delivering poison and I'd guess any attempts to remove it would trigger a function to release all the poison instantly into the system. Or could be simple as having a taser function when sensing someone playing with it which would interfere with any attempts. These things are pretty high tech so I wouldn't be surprised with any sensors or anti-sabotage functions they might have.
Still, how is it transmitting the poison, the thing is pretty loose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Because she took a smack on the back of her head with a shovel and woke up completely fine and then landed on two feet like a cat from a fall like that in the race. That's just insane.
Good point; however, that’s not proof she’s not human, just that she’s not normal. Basically, I’m not denying she’s a super human, the problem presented (by Deconstructor) was if she’s actually human. Judging by her display of emotions, I’d say she’s human.
Old 2011-04-25, 14:56   Link #380
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Its very Interesting to see the anime viewers take on Shiro. I think some nice discussion will be generated just from her character alone.

Tags
action, horror, madness, prison, science fiction, shounen, tragedy