AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2017-06-23, 03:13   Link #221
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

When I started watching Saekano, I had a very dominant impression that this series would have the same writing style and characterization as Maruto's VN work in White Album 2. For that reason, while I tried to tolerate the first season, hoping it would get better as it approaches a climactic part of the story, my impressions dragged my enjoyment down like a lead weight. By the episode where Megumi danced with Tomoya, I was convinced that Maruto would have a particular bias towards Megumi and Utaha and Eriri will be shafted in favor of the titular boring heroine.

I have to admit, however. The character development between Utaha and Eriri—both as creators and friends—was one of the best things you can get from losers in a series where the winner has already been decided. Consider this: I've made some comparison between Oreimo and Saekano in treating the main heroine and the "losers", but Saekano manages to win out Oreimo by not allowing the losers to be relegated to cheerleader status while the winning girl finalizes her relationship with the MC. That's some kudos to Maruto. HOWEVER, the damage has already been done, and I still feel that the development of the cast could have started immediately from the first volume. Haganai had the same problem of having "the end of the prologue" at one of the last volumes of the LN, and I can see a similar problem with Saekano.

Overall, Saekano flat featured both the best and worst of Fumiaki Maruto's writing style, and I hope I never see the bad parts whenever he plans on making another anime or LN. Also, no more exploration on otaku culture please. Classroom Crisis has proven that he's capable of dealing with non-otaku topics, so why settle for something that's very dependent on execution and other factors.

Enjoyment value: 8/10 -> 6/10 (disproportionate development of characters) -> 7/10 (development of Utaha and Eriri)
ENTRY #305 GET.

EDIT: It was really funny seeing the Golden State Warriors being mentioned in the Saekano flat Finale Thread over at /r/anime. For context, their last games were curbstomps and even the powerhouse Cleveland Cavaliers lost 4-1 in the Finals. Because of this stomping tendency and reducing the latest NBA Season into a game of "how small will this team's point gap be against the Warriors", I kinda see Megumi in GSW. This also reveals my issue against Megumi; she doesn't do anything wrong, so you can't really put her in the same drama that caused the Neighbor's Club in Haganai to splinter.

EDIT2: Tomoya's plans for his circle's next VN reminds me a lot of the still-incomplete Angel Beats Visual Novel series. It allows the main character, Yuzuru Otonashi, to experience changes to his character based on the player's choices. However, the fact that even Key, a notable VN producer, struggles to follow schedule for a SIX-EPISODE VISUAL NOVEL SERIES proves that Tomoya might be biting off way more than he can chew here.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.

Last edited by Marcus H.; 2017-06-23 at 03:37.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-23, 08:12   Link #222
DracoS

Not too bad, through I think session 1 was better and more clever in it writing.
DracoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-23, 10:19   Link #223
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

So there are more novels? That explains why the ending was so inconclusive. For some reason I'm not sure, I was under the impression the novel series was already over, so I had very different expectations regarding where the story would go. I wouldn't have expected Utaha and Eriri to actually move on otherwise. Still hated how the author threw pretty much all their character development out of the window at the last minute. It's what I had been fearing all along and it ended up happening.

Please tell me they at least ended up working on Fields Chronicle. I have some doubts given that they missed their train and seemed to want to get back to Blessing Software at the end (and obviously, they can't do both).

The biggest surprise in this finale came from Megumi. She had a golden opportunity to get Tomoya but she purposefully let it slip by, choosing to just remain friends.
Old 2017-06-23, 11:08   Link #224
AB079
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
So there are more novels? That explains why the ending was so inconclusive. For some reason I'm not sure, I was under the impression the novel series was already over, so I had very different expectations regarding where the story would go. I wouldn't have expected Utaha and Eriri to actually move on otherwise. Still hated how the author threw pretty much all their character development out of the window at the last minute. It's what I had been fearing all along and it ended up happening.

Please tell me they at least ended up working on Fields Chronicle. I have some doubts given that they missed their train and seemed to want to get back to Blessing Software at the end (and obviously, they can't do both).

The biggest surprise in this finale came from Megumi. She had a golden opportunity to get Tomoya but she purposefully let it slip by, choosing to just remain friends.
Where the anime ended is volume 7, volume 8 to 12 is the second part of Saekano and volume 13 will be the last one (is not out yet). As for your question, you better post that on the LN thread, here is still a spoiler material.
AB079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-23, 11:13   Link #225
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Yeah, I don't want to now what happens in the LN anytime soon unless we are not getting another season for sure.

Yeah, Megumi had the biggest chance to sealed her relationship with Tomaya, damm she backed down at the last second. Seriously, she is just my favorite character. If a girl like that existed, I would never let her go. Also Megumi with long hair>>>>short hair.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-23, 11:22   Link #226
Tranhieu

The fanboy in me couldn't wait any longer and used a VPN to buy Ep 11's insert song from Mora... just saying...

Boy was Yasuno's voice such a treat to listen to
Tranhieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-23, 11:32   Link #227
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB079 View Post
As for your question, you better post that on the LN thread, here is still a spoiler material.
Wait, so...Utaha & Eriri working on Fields Chronicle is still uncertain and in spoiler territory? And here I got the impression that they got the job and only missed the train . Otherwise, those Utaha & Eriri's character development and parting scene with Tomoya would be all for nothing. As pros, they really need to move on to tackle bigger challenges in the harsh world of animangames industry.

Anyway, I like this series. Its flaws aren't enough to detract me from its charms. Maybe it's because I didn't treat it like actual serious romance that I'm not as disappointed as some were. I mean, with an MC like Tomoya, it's hard to take the romance aspect seriously. The frequent 4th wall breaking also doesn't help. I came here for the story, character interactions, some witty lines and fanservice and it didn't disappoint me. And the mature girl archetype actually scored something is nice compared to her counterparts in other stories who got pretty much nothing. It's like the cherry on top for me.
Old 2017-06-23, 13:49   Link #228
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Images
Adam Jensen Style!
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2017-06-23, 21:02   Link #229
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I wouldn't have expected Utaha and Eriri to actually move on otherwise. Still hated how the author threw pretty much all their character development out of the window at the last minute. It's what I had been fearing all along and it ended up happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Wait, so...Utaha & Eriri working on Fields Chronicle is still uncertain and in spoiler territory? And here I got the impression that they got the job and only missed the train . Otherwise, those Utaha & Eriri's character development and parting scene with Tomoya would be all for nothing. As pros, they really need to move on to tackle bigger challenges in the harsh world of animangames industry.
Uh, where is the idea coming from that their participation is uncertain? Is set in stone now, Utaha's graduated, Eriri knows that she can't be at her best at Tomoya's side and there is a freaking reason why Maruto introduced Izumi into Tomoya's school (and her and Iori quitting Rouge en Rouge). And why in the world is Utaha/Eriri's development "thrown out of the window" to quote Kanon? They have shown to be capable of separating personal feelings and work, that was the whole point of their develpment this arc, Utaha and Eriri no longer attaching their professional futures to Tomoya's incompetence. Not Utaha and Eriri giving up their feelings on Tomoya.
Old 2017-06-23, 22:40   Link #230
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

You cannot blame them. According to romantic comedy conventions, romantic interests who have lost and went away—through death or travel to distant places—are considered disqualified from the competition for the feelings of the male protagonist.

But at this point, Maruto is back to his writing style (which minimizes the use of cliches), so he would allow things to progress naturally unlike in the cliche-filled Season 1.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-24, 00:54   Link #231
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakurin-san View Post
Uh, where is the idea coming from that their participation is uncertain? Is set in stone now, Utaha's graduated, Eriri knows that she can't be at her best at Tomoya's side and there is a freaking reason why Maruto introduced Izumi into Tomoya's school (and her and Iori quitting Rouge en Rouge). And why in the world is Utaha/Eriri's development "thrown out of the window" to quote Kanon? They have shown to be capable of separating personal feelings and work, that was the whole point of their develpment this arc, Utaha and Eriri no longer attaching their professional futures to Tomoya's incompetence. Not Utaha and Eriri giving up their feelings on Tomoya.
Mind you that I also thought that it was clear that Utaha & Eri got the gig, but then I read Kanon's post that questioned it, only to be answered by AB079 that it's a "spoiler territory" which made me uncertain again since I don't read the LN.

If what you said is true then I'm glad. I'm glad that Utaha & Eriri can pursue their career without being shackled by their feelings and sense of obligation to Tomoya & his dojin group. I'm glad the writing is not dumb.
Old 2017-06-24, 01:33   Link #232
AB079
Banned

Just take a look at the LN thread...
AB079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-24, 22:23   Link #233
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

My final impresssion was, "That's it?"

I liked S1's ending better because it actually felt like a good stopping point (after all they don't know if it was going to get another season), while this one is so obviously in the middle of the story. Makes me wonder if they're already greenlit (or close to it) for a third season, since Izumi going to the same school is a story just asking to be told. Izumi arc next?

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-25, 05:07   Link #234
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Adachi called, he wants Eriri and Utaha back.
Old 2017-06-26, 02:31   Link #235
The 48th Ronin

Poor Eriri. She's the biggest loser here. I mean, Megumi is the end girl, obviously, and Utaha got Tomoya's first kiss as a consolation.
The 48th Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-06-12, 08:27   Link #236
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Just for fun....

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?