AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-11-20, 03:20   Link #14801
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okashira View Post
I think that she properly explained that she can check the books since she has no mana, thus her "I'm special" comment (I don't remember this one too clearly though). By extension, then Touma is probably going to be ok if he looks at a forbidden book in the case that he doesn't have mana in the same way that can't have an AIM field.
btw before anyone gets any clever ideas, there's no way in Hell Touma can remember all that books
Old 2011-11-20, 03:50   Link #14802
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
btw before anyone gets any clever ideas, there's no way in Hell Touma can remember all that books
He wouldn't be able to use them even if he could remember them.
Old 2011-11-20, 06:12   Link #14803
Ashaman

Touma would probably destroy the damn things by accident.
Old 2011-11-20, 07:00   Link #14804
Eratas123

It depends on whether the book itself is magic or just it's contents. Etzali's grimoire's seem to be "alive" or have some sort of sentience so Touma would probably destroy them on contact. Maybe some books are just regular books with knowledge/instructions about magic.
Old 2011-11-20, 07:06   Link #14805
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eratas123 View Post
It depends on whether the book itself is magic or just it's contents. Etzali's grimoire's seem to be "alive" or have some sort of sentience so Touma would probably destroy them on contact. Maybe some books are just regular books with knowledge/instructions about magic.

When we're talking about Grimoires, we're always referring to those magic books.

That's not to say there aren't any books on magic that aren't magical, we just don't call them Grimoires, if anything to avoid confusion.
Old 2011-11-20, 07:28   Link #14806
Eratas123

Quote:
When we're talking about Grimoires, we're always referring to those magic books.

That's not to say there aren't any books on magic that aren't magical, we just don't call them Grimoires, if anything to avoid confusion.
So....

Grimoires - Books that are sentient/gained sentience and would probably be destroyed by Imagine breaker on contact.

Spell book/tomes/others - Regular books with instructions/information on magic. Likely what magicians use when they want to learn new/special spells like Stiyl's Innocentius.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll remember it next time.

Side note - Can't wait for NT V3!
Old 2011-11-20, 13:44   Link #14807
cleed

Quote:
So....

Grimoires - Books that are sentient/gained sentience and would probably be destroyed by Imagine breaker on contact.

Spell book/tomes/others - Regular books with instructions/information on magic. Likely what magicians use when they want to learn new/special spells like Stiyl's Innocentius.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll remember it next time.

Side note - Can't wait for NT V3!
Remember Touma now has the incentive on finding out what the IB is and why. where as before it just didn't matter that much. So hopefully lots more of the special details will be reveled down the road.
Old 2011-11-20, 22:26   Link #14808
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
'Mana' in Raildex (As it has comes to my attention, we have 2 other Novel with 'Toaru' in their titles, so we can't call this 'Toaruverse' anymore) is basically life force being converted for magic use. In this case what I suspect is that Necessarius did something that prevents this process from happening in Index normal mode.

But like you've said, every human can convert life force to magic, so an alternate theory I came up was that Index isn't a normal human.
So this furthers the theory that Ki Attacks and Kamehame Hadoken in To Aru Verse are magic?
Old 2011-11-20, 23:09   Link #14809
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
So this furthers the theory that Ki Attacks and Kamehame Hadoken in To Aru Verse are magic?
Only if you can tell me which mythical being used it and what's the theory behind it
Old 2011-11-20, 23:41   Link #14810
ellifeedn
Thinker

Here's my theory: since life energy comes from the (physical) body (I think), spiritual (Ki) energy comes from the soul (metaphysical body). Mythical beings are metaphysical, so they are Ki energy with sentience.

I hope this makes sense since I'm really tired right now.
Old 2011-11-20, 23:42   Link #14811
judasmartel
*Author

Hm. Ki Attacks channel life force from the user into spirit force (which is not yet discussed in the To Aru Verse atm), either for destruction (think Son Goku) or for healing (think Master Genkai from YYH).

I think that's all I know about Ki Attacks atm.
Old 2011-11-21, 03:00   Link #14812
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Now you're just arguing semantics.

Life Force is 'Spirt' force is the same thing, or rather it serves the same purpose in fiction- A mysterious non-scientific energy.
Old 2011-11-21, 14:07   Link #14813
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Why the hell are we talking about Ki?
Old 2011-11-21, 14:12   Link #14814
Breidaluk

They are talking. I'm just awaiting the change of topic. Well, someone would put this topic in discussion anyway.
Old 2011-11-21, 14:24   Link #14815
Twi

Ki and Magical energy come from the same place, it's just the formatting is different.

But could an Esper use KI?

Oh, yeah, on topic: If Aleister is backed into a corner, can't the other factions pretty much do whatever they want now?
Old 2011-11-21, 14:38   Link #14816
Eratas123

@ Twi - He still has Academy City, the city that suffered no casualty during world war 3, under his control. Aleister may be paranoid, but don't underestimate what someone can do when they're backed into a corner.
Old 2011-11-21, 15:16   Link #14817
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Hadou View Post
Why the hell are we talking about Ki?
Well, somebody was asking about whether Ki is classified as magic or esper ability. Me, on the other hand, was something like, "Hey, what if a new To Aru character can use Ki Attacks? Will he be a mage or an esper?"
Old 2011-11-21, 15:35   Link #14818
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
Well, somebody was asking about whether Ki is classified as magic or esper ability. Me, on the other hand, was something like, "Hey, what if a new To Aru character can use Ki Attacks? Will he be a mage or an esper?"
You guys do realize you could just say "Gunha" and put an end to this, right?
Old 2011-11-21, 16:07   Link #14819
Eratas123

Gunha's powers are too vague to describe. All we know is that he's a gemstone and nothing else. The only reason he's rank 7 is because AC doesn't understand his powers (He's stronger than some of the other level 5's).

In fact, Gunha actually seems more akin to a magician since he masters multiple things, unlike espers who only have one power that they use in different ways.
Old 2011-11-21, 16:54   Link #14820
leukrota

Quote:
In fact, Gunha actually seems more akin to a magician since he masters multiple things, unlike espers who only have one power that they use in different ways.
Remember how the evolution goes. First, there where gemstones with natural powers. Then people jealous of their powers tried to recreate them and discovered magic. Then Aleister, with Aiwass' help, found a way to make artificial espers, using a different approach in recreating the gemstone powers...

So being the original inspiration for the two forces, gemstones can probably be considered in the middle of them, instead to belonging to either side. At least, that's the impression I have about them... I could be wrong, but there's just not enough info at the moment to make sure of it.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, dengeki bunko, fantasy, light novels, science fiction, shounen