AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-03-24, 08:59   Link #4281
cj_iwakura
The Rhythm Rogue

Send a message via AIM to cj_iwakura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterion View Post
Awesome!
Will this patch work well with Cross or it will just break the game? Cause I think most people would have Ougon Cross installed rather than Vanilla Ougon.

Thanks for your time and your work.
We're looking into it. Cross would be a lot of extra work that we're not ready for, and I think it would be nicer to ease people into the 'series' with the vanilla release first(also the original has a boss OP).

It's entirely possible it might work, based on how Cross runs.
Old 2013-03-24, 18:54   Link #4282
Solkiskey

To be honest, I don't think anyone who picks up this game will even try Vanilla, they'll go straight to Cross.

But that's just me, I guess.
Old 2013-03-26, 22:21   Link #4283
cj_iwakura
The Rhythm Rogue

Script is now complete!

Editing begins now.

Quote:
Broken furniture thinking of love!
I'll turn you into firewood!
[ahaha.wav]
Old 2013-03-27, 17:50   Link #4284
kevan3

If you need any play testers, we're here for you.
Old 2013-03-27, 22:04   Link #4285
cj_iwakura
The Rhythm Rogue

Got a beta file. If anyone wants to PM me that has vanilla Ougon, hit me up.

Hmm, not just yet... needs tweaking.

Last edited by cj_iwakura; 2013-03-27 at 22:27.
Old 2013-03-27, 22:54   Link #4286
cronnoponno

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the work you're putting into this and I think it's totally awesome, but I was a little sad when I heard you weren't doing Cross just yet exactly, and if the patch is incompatible with Cross then I don't think I will be using it, Vanilla Ogon just isn't the same, and if I was a new player, especially if I was a fan of Umineko, I would definitely get Cross first for it's inclusion of Chiru characters.

Good luck to the translation and I hope it goes well, even though I likely won't be using it, I don't want to make it sound like I'm against it or anything, and if you make a little notepad of ingame quotes and such, I'd love to read it.
Old 2013-03-28, 10:56   Link #4287
Solkiskey

Same here, pretty much. I don't get the point of translating an older version of the game either.
Old 2013-03-28, 15:48   Link #4288
Walterion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj_iwakura View Post
Got a beta file. If anyone wants to PM me that has vanilla Ougon, hit me up.

Hmm, not just yet... needs tweaking.
I will play test it with no worries, just send me a PM I will try to check throughly with it, even if it is Vanilla Ougon.
Old 2013-03-28, 18:21   Link #4289
cj_iwakura
The Rhythm Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solkiskey View Post
Same here, pretty much. I don't get the point of translating an older version of the game either.
Because it's less work, and we're testing the waters. I don't think it's that hard to grasp. It's unfortunate if the community won't be interested because it's not Cross, but I think this is a great game on its own merits.
Old 2013-03-29, 14:52   Link #4290
Drifloon

It's kind of like translating the EP1-2 version of Umineko when the EP1-4 version is already out, though. Considering that one is exactly the same as the other, just with more content, it would stand to reason that most people wouldn't really be interested in a translation project that was for an outdated version.

Not meaning to downplay the obviously significant amount of work that you've put into this, of course; it's great that there's a translation project at all, and if you're planning to go on to the Cross content afterwards then that's obviously fine. It just seems a little odd to translate something that's outdated when the full version is already out there. Obviously none of this applies if the work you've done on the vanilla version is easily portable to Cross; in that case a 'beta patch' that's just for the vanilla content makes perfect sense.
Old 2013-03-30, 04:07   Link #4291
Joachim13
Finite Witch

I don't understand why people are complaining about how the project is pointless. That's like saying that even though a full series is released and only the fist half is being translated is a pointless endeavor. I'm just happy to see any of Ougon in a language I can understand, even if the project never even finishes. And with the negative response I don't blame anyone for just packing their bags and leaving the unwelcomed project where it stands instead of finishing.
Spoiler for I feel like an old man with a story...:
Old 2013-03-30, 05:23   Link #4292
battle22

They aren't complaining. Since this is a fighting game and the CROSS patch has more characters playable, they would rather play that then the old version with old characters. And I also agree with them. It's not like I think it's pointless, I'll download it later to play the story mode, but I won't stick with it forever. I am, of course, grateful that this is happening and in no way I'm being entitled right now.
Old 2013-03-30, 07:44   Link #4293
cj_iwakura
The Rhythm Rogue

Personally I think this is more for people who care about the story and not the fighting game, as that happens a lot more often than you'd think. (I like both personally, but as a BlazBlue fan, I know lots of people who only touch the games for story mode.)

So even if you love Cross' additions, if you want to know what happened with the core cast, jump back into Vanilla and beat up on Siesta and Eva while we work on Cross. :P

Anywho, update: turns out we found about 40% more script in the game, so I'd say it's actually around 1900 characters. On the bright side, I'm editing what I have while the rest is translated.
Old 2013-03-30, 13:38   Link #4294
GabrieliosP
黄金の魔女 Golden Witch

Question: I've seen you use Siesta in the blog and here. Will you use it or the patch will have the more correct and canon "Chiester"?
Old 2013-03-30, 15:10   Link #4295
cj_iwakura
The Rhythm Rogue

The hiragana for her name reads 'Siesta'. It's a mis-pronunciation.
Old 2013-03-30, 15:27   Link #4296
GabrieliosP
黄金の魔女 Golden Witch

The katakana シエスタ is pronounced Shiesuta but the correct romanization is Chiester.

Chiester -> W(i)n(chester)

The bunny girls represent Kinzo's winchester rifles collection, and their names (410, 45, 00, 556) are references to types of ammo. Note in EP3, after Rudolf, Kyrie and Hideyoshi's murder, two Chiester sisters appeared and the two rifles they had with them went missing, unlike Rosa's murder where her rifle was still present. Whenever they appear in the gameboard to kill someone, the guns are not present with the adults (the two missing rifles in EP3 and no guns in EP4 at all). To top it all, the wounds caused by them are described as bullet-like.

And here's a quote from a member of the Witch-Hunt staff, from the translation thread:

Quote:
Siesta/Chiester case was basically dragged because we didn't feel like bugging again about that matter (that and we were focused on something else). That said, we got confirmation it is Chiester, so we will probably update at some point (although I must admit, the prospect of replacing all siesta mention sounds tedious already).
Link to the post from where this is quoted from.
Old 2013-03-30, 16:01   Link #4297
cj_iwakura
The Rhythm Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrieliosP View Post
The katakana シエスタ is pronounced Shiesuta but the correct romanization is Chiester.

Chiester -> W(i)n(chester)

The bunny girls represent Kinzo's winchester rifles collection, and their names (410, 45, 00, 556) are references to types of ammo. Note in EP3, after Rudolf, Kyrie and Hideyoshi's murder, two Chiester sisters appeared and the two rifles they had with them went missing, unlike Rosa's murder where her rifle was still present. Whenever they appear in the gameboard to kill someone, the guns are not present with the adults (the two missing rifles in EP3 and no guns in EP4 at all). To top it all, the wounds caused by them are described as bullet-like.

And here's a quote from a member of the Witch-Hunt staff, from the translation thread:

Link to the post from where this is quoted from.
Interesting. Good to know.

So wouldn't it be 'Chester'?

Admittedly I wasn't sure which it was(Witch-Hunt's script or the game's Chiester), so I went by my reading of the kana, which I thought read 'Siesta'.
Old 2013-03-30, 16:39   Link #4298
GabrieliosP
黄金の魔女 Golden Witch

Ah nope, if it were Chester it would be シェスター (Shesutaa) instead of シエスタ (Shiesuta). And let's be frank that Chiester sound cooler than Chester.

Sigh, romanizations are always difficult. It's no better when even things like the Umineko Motion Graphics give us things like Ushiromiya Enjye and Wergilia.
Old 2013-03-30, 18:46   Link #4299
kevan3

What font(s) are you using for the game, cj_iwakura?
Old 2013-03-30, 19:38   Link #4300
GabrieliosP
黄金の魔女 Golden Witch

Also, for which version will the patch be avaiable? 1.0 (day one release) or 1.10 (playable Jessica)?
Closed Thread