AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-04-20, 10:03   Link #201
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The thread title seems "extreme" when there are in fact a number of games "for women" (or that are gender-neutral). The Elder Scroll game series comes to mind. I can think of 4 or 5 female friends without blinking who play the heck out of Oblivion, Skyrim. The first Dragon Age also qualifies.

Several MMOs seem fairly gender-neutral, especially in terms of the numbers of women who play them (EQ attracted large numbers of women, WoW ... join an MMO before the "kids get out of school" and there's a fairly large number of older women playing)
I'd even call the latest Tomb Raider a reboot in terms of being balanced from Lara's character design to the story line.

Yes, the larger majority of games just seem to assume a male is playing but there's been a substantial sea change since I started playing video/computer games in the late 1980s.
Old 2013-04-20, 11:16   Link #202
saravis

One thing I will say that is lacking are older women PCs. Most female PCs are in their teens or twenties. You have very few that are in their thirties (Femshep and Mara Jade are a couple that come to mind) and I can't think of any that are in their forties.

The question is, is there a market for older female PCs? Men tend to look up to the older male that can hold up his own as well as, if not better than, the younger generations; the veteran character. Do women feel the same way? Do women desire to be like the older veteran character; a woman, who is in her forties or fifties, who is physically fit, but has the appearance and problems of her age? From my experience, I find that doubtful.
Old 2013-04-20, 15:45   Link #203
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Well, Old Snake was pretty well-loved, so I don't see why a badass older lady couldn't star in her own game.
Old 2013-04-20, 15:49   Link #204
Flying Dagger
大巧不工

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Well, Old Snake was pretty well-loved, so I don't see why a badass older lady couldn't star in her own game.
I will be honest it is hard to imagine some old muscular grandma gunning things down left and right.

I guess I can see an old lady beating kids up with her bloom, but that's about it -_-.
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 15:53   Link #205
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dagger View Post
I will be honest it is hard to imagine some old muscular grandma gunning things down left and right.

I guess I can see an old lady beating kids up with her bloom, but that's about it -_-.
You can be older and not be a granny, and still be a badass. A woman in her 40s or 50s could play in all sorts of genres without being unrealistic.
Old 2013-04-20, 19:22   Link #206
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

-cough- THE BOSS -cough-

Yes, I am quite a fanboy of hers.
Old 2013-04-20, 19:48   Link #207
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
No kidding? But you were so subtle about it...
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 21:21   Link #208
saravis

Quote:
-cough- THE BOSS -cough-

Except she's not a PC. However, do you think there is enough of a market of people who want to play as characters like her? Let me rephrase that question, if Kojima put up a poll asking gamers if they would rather play as Snake or as Boss, who would win?
Old 2013-04-20, 21:52   Link #209
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

The Boss, not even a damn contest.... She'd win by a landslide.
Old 2013-04-20, 22:29   Link #210
saravis

Quote:
The Boss, not even a damn contest.... She'd win by a landslide.
So that's one vote for the boss
Old 2013-04-21, 00:15   Link #211
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by saravis View Post
So that's one vote for the boss
Already did a poll a while back, The Boss won by a land slide.
Old 2013-04-21, 02:45   Link #212
Dirty_Harry

Beyond Good And Evil is a good example of a game who may appeal the female gamers.
Dirty_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 05:44   Link #213
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The thread title seems "extreme" when there are in fact a number of games "for women" (or that are gender-neutral). The Elder Scroll game series comes to mind. I can think of 4 or 5 female friends without blinking who play the heck out of Oblivion, Skyrim. The first Dragon Age also qualifies.

Several MMOs seem fairly gender-neutral, especially in terms of the numbers of women who play them (EQ attracted large numbers of women, WoW ... join an MMO before the "kids get out of school" and there's a fairly large number of older women playing)
I'd even call the latest Tomb Raider a reboot in terms of being balanced from Lara's character design to the story line.

Yes, the larger majority of games just seem to assume a male is playing but there's been a substantial sea change since I started playing video/computer games in the late 1980s.
Agreed. Tbh, after reading through some of the posts in this thread, it seems to be that the some people have some rather... stringent qualification as to what is acceptable for female characters.

Also, whomever linked that damsel in distress vid, thanks a lot. That's 23 minutes of my life I'll never be able to get back
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 06:41   Link #214
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Wow, you actually watched all of it ?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 12:51   Link #215
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by momobunny View Post
I love these characters (Growing up for me, my idols were characters like Princess Peach and Cream the Rabbit while other kids looked up to characters like Mario or Sonic.) and would love to see them more developed and have more spotlight and a chance to shine... but they're always pushed into the roles of damsel in distress, exposition fairy, minor villain... basically an NPC.
Cream the Rabbit? Seriously? I think the hate is justified because she's an annoying character who serves no purpose in the series other than being there. She was no NPC, though. She was playable in Sonic Heroes and Sonic Advance 2. Amy Rose got plenty of opportunities to shine, too, by the way.
Old 2013-04-24, 00:51   Link #216
Key Board
Carbon

I'll just leave this here

http://kotaku.com/the-real-problem-w...o-ga-478120280

this reminds me of a conversation with someone I had regarding Gurren Lagann

he didn't want to watch it, especially with other people because it was "embarrassing" and "over the top childish"

his loss, I say
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 01:42   Link #217
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Over the top childish? your friend needs to grow the hell up. Yea I doubt he's your friend buddy.
Old 2013-04-24, 04:18   Link #218
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
I'll just leave this here

http://kotaku.com/the-real-problem-w...o-ga-478120280

this reminds me of a conversation with someone I had regarding Gurren Lagann

he didn't want to watch it, especially with other people because it was "embarrassing" and "over the top childish"

his loss, I say
Consider why he thought that. Consider the reputation anime has built for itself... subservient moeblobs, tentacle rape and general all-around male domination of female objects.

Yes, it's not all like that. Yes, some of anime and manga's bad rep comes from cultural differences between the West and Japan. Yes, there is a mild stigma against liking "cartoons" when you aren't a kid anymore.

But enough of it exists to give the medium a bad reputation, especially among women. The same goes for video games, but gaming isn't nearly as bad as anime. I freely admit to people that I'm a gamer, but I do not volunteer that I enjoy anime and manga. I know damn well that most people will assume the worst.

Short version: Kotaku guy has a point.
Old 2013-04-24, 04:31   Link #219
cronnoponno

I highly agree with the Article... but I still don't think games that DO target a specific gender or culture should be completely eradicated, there's nothing wrong with a game like Senran Kagura, I guess the issue is that games that DO take themselves a bit more seriously and aren't advertised as being eye-candy do serve that eyecandy.

I was just playing a game called Legacista and there is a mage character in the game who's breasts are so disgustingly large and her ingame dialogue sprites bounce when she changes sprites to convey different emotions....and it really just had little point to it other than just being there and as a consequence making me double take every time I play it and those scenes are there to make sure someone isn't watching.

Dead Island Paradise is(a bad game to me) a game that pretty much says ''This game is tits, just letting you know'', and anyone who buys it should clearly know exactly what they're getting theirselves into while they awkwardly look to the left buying it, I think games like this should be exempt from the perfectly justifiable desire to stop with all the annoying and pointless sex-appeal in other games.

But then again, there are some pretty skimpy outfits in other dead or alive games and silly bounce features even in the serious games and while it'd be annoying to see that crap in every game, I'm not sure whether I'd agree to support the idea of removing every trace of it.

If people can impose art and other things that were once alien to gaming, I think sexualization should have it's place in some gaming as well, and this isn't just saying that it should be male-exclusive, I don't claim to know what girls like but if there is a game that fits their personal fantasies and such then I support those types of games as well....
cronnoponno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 04:47   Link #220
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I'm okay with sexual objectification in video games as long as it's equally applied and fair.

Right now, it's not. Your female characters are sexually objectified while your male characters are designed around a male power fantasy. Both methods of objectification are serving the male interest ONLY.

You wanna make a sexy game? Sure. Put some sexy, big-breasted girls in, but put some delicious mancandy in there for the ladies. Why should the guys care? It's not like they're going to be looking at the male characters, anyway... unless there's something they aren't admitting, after all.