3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.64%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 3.28%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2014-05-18, 03:57   Link #81
cyth
Banned

The whole operation was silly. When you're in a position to assault a terrorist base, careful planning should be of utmost importance (preferably by adults). It seems like magical boys and girls are above that and they can just make their assault plan as they go. I wonder what would happen if terrorists in this case weren't a pack of morons, standing all bunched up to get smacked around. If Mahouka was a game, it would quite certainly be a "shit game", because mobs would present no challenge at all. But I guess this anime and novel was written by persons who like the creepy easy mode setting.
Old 2014-05-18, 04:27   Link #82
My Zodiac Aries

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
The whole operation was silly. When you're in a position to assault a terrorist base, careful planning should be of utmost importance (preferably by adults). It seems like magical boys and girls are above that and they can just make their assault plan as they go. I wonder what would happen if terrorists in this case weren't a pack of morons, standing all bunched up to get smacked around. If Mahouka was a game, it would quite certainly be a "shit game", because mobs would present no challenge at all.
maybe the terrorists is not really morons.
Antinite + handgun is enough to kill magician. this is a Fact. i read the novel.
Gun can kill magician.

the problem is the Protagonist is very Hax, overpowered, etc. the leader is confuse why tatsuya can use magic, isn't he ?
so forget about good fight and interesting action.

Quote:
But I guess this anime and novel was written by persons who like the creepy easy mode setting.
the author is amateur.

The novel began as a web novel serialization in "Let's Become a Novelist" on October 12, 2008. It then became the second web novel after "Sword Art Online",
Old 2014-05-18, 04:31   Link #83
Ultragunner

nah, those guys ain't terrorists, just a bunch of amateurs that were swayed by some external power (with money and other incentives) to do the foot job. You see these types of guys quite often, even today. I'm pretty sure those so-called "terrorists will eventually be wiped out by the police, the whole sequence in this episode is just Tatsuya hammering them for disturbing his life (with his sister). Of course, it is completely LUDICROUS, but that's the point, Tatsuya may appear to be calm and rational, but in fact he can end up on the opposite extreme end. Perhaps the execution is bad, that I won't argue (because it is!! ), but don't you think it is very boring to take things at face-value?

Well, but who cares about the plot or anything, I watch this anime for HER!!!!!!
Spoiler for The-one-you-know-who:
Old 2014-05-18, 04:32   Link #84
Kaengel
Chupa Chups Eater

I'm glad Kirihara was here. Tatsuya's and Miyuki's battle are so boring. Without Kirihara cutting everything on his road I'll be snoring right now.
Old 2014-05-18, 04:50   Link #85
The Green One

I wonder how many people will actually stick around long enough to see the meat of the upcoming arc. Hopefully the next arc will prove to be less.....polarizing....then this one was.
Old 2014-05-18, 04:55   Link #86
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Zodiac Aries View Post

the author is amateur.

The novel began as a web novel serialization in "Let's Become a Novelist" on October 12, 2008. It then became the second web novel after "Sword Art Online",
Technically, as soon as you get paid, you're not an amateur anymore and your writing will be judged by the same standard as novelists far more experienced who may be more talented or who have great expertise in the field.
To be honest, I don't think very highly of competitions like that, which churn out authors for the sake of it who have little to no experience but woke up one day thinking "hey I'm bored of this eroge, maybe I should make some cash by writing a novel. Can't be hard."
You can call me a snob for holding this opinion, I'm ok with that

50 shades was some kind of fanfiction/webnovel too. Back then, I suppose you could call it another bad fanfic. Once it got published and the author cashed in massively on that verbal vomit, it could be called drivel that isn't worth the poor trees that had to die for it
You don't publish that sort of thing, you file it away to look at in some years and see how much you improved compared to the first novel you wrote for actual publication. Maybe rewrite it, if you still like the idea and publish it then. But good lord, don't publish it as is. I don't publish my grade school scribbles as academic essays either...

Now, I'm not saying Mahouka is as bad as that but it's origins at best reinforce the sub-par execution. Creepy easy mode describes it quite well.
Old 2014-05-18, 05:02   Link #87
My Zodiac Aries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerie View Post
Technically, as soon as you get paid, you're not an amateur anymore and your writing will be judged by the same standard as novelists far more experienced who may be more talented or who have great expertise in the field.

he start from amateur, get paid to become a professional then what can you expect from that ? quality ?

The content of the WEB NOVEL is not really different from the published one. maybe only 90-95%
you can check the web novel version if you want.
Old 2014-05-18, 05:03   Link #88
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Well since people are talking about easy mode, it's probably something like the raid leader owning the trash mobs solo.

So we're probably eventually going to see him fight the skill/gear check boss, then the stronger trash mobs that'll test his and his squad's limit, eventually reaching the part where he isn't as OP as we suspect.

The power and friendship and teamwork!
Old 2014-05-18, 05:07   Link #89
Ultragunner

have you seen Batman: Begins? He just trashed the bad guys single-handedly and the mob just stood there to get owned haha

anyway,
Quote:
those guys ain't terrorists, just a bunch of amateurs that were swayed by some external power (with money and other incentives) to do the foot job. You see these types of guys quite often, even today. I'm pretty sure those so-called "terrorists will eventually be wiped out by the police, the whole sequence in this episode is just Tatsuya hammering them for disturbing his life (with his sister). Of course, it is completely LUDICROUS, but that's the point, Tatsuya may appear to be calm and rational, but in fact he can end up on the opposite extreme end. Perhaps the execution is bad, that I won't argue (because it is!! ), but don't you think it is very boring to take things at face-value?
Old 2014-05-18, 05:13   Link #90
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Mibu Saya: "I don't think I can ever be good enough for Tatsuya, so I'll settle for the other guy"

That's pretty much sums it up, If I was Kirihara, I'd probably be pissed... lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerie View Post
Oh god, I had completely blanked that bit out. That was ridiculously bad and somewhat repulsive. Starting from the fact that she was in love with him at all and the cringeworthy drivel that followed.
Same.

It was so hilariously blunt, that it made wonder if Mahouka actually does have some self awareness. Though if I'm not sure good or bad thing.

As a friend of mine put it, "consolation prize" indeed. But hey, we know how this won't become a harem ...well at least on the surface.

As for the climax, the payoff wasn't worth the painful slow 6 week build up. The fight ended like every other one in the show so far, save for the fact that Tatsuya wasn't the only one doing the curb-stomping. If anything last week actually better since at least opponents fought back. You could easily skipped the whole the conflict and just summarized it as Tatsuya and co won: "The End". After all nobody was anything remotely close to danger, the main cast might as well have been fighting cardboard cut-outs for all we care. Some "dangerous" international terrorists this lot turned out to be.

Maybe, I've been too spoiled be Histugi no Chaika and several other series this season which has featured competent leads AND antagonists.

Regardless I'm gonna drop this show. I've given it 7 episodes to hook me (which is more than I normally do) with something, but the execution has left a lot to be desired nearly every area. I don't know how much better the LN's version of this arc was, but I am not feeling what the anime has shown. I'm also watching way too many things this season as it, to spend time on series that overall leave me indifferent week after week. Besides I rather not sour the thread anymore those who are enjoying it with my criticism, so I'll bow out. Enjoy the rest everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
In Kirihara's defense, the bad guy did have a weapon: his CAD. Also, he'd already cut down the mooks, why should the leader be spared?

But yeah, it was all rather silly.
Hey we are talking about the same epiosde that featured guy massacring a bunch of birds in a small room with blood splattered everywhere. Just to sledgehammer into viewers how literal his moniker is. Need to keep up that edge right?

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2014-05-18 at 05:24.
Old 2014-05-18, 05:20   Link #91
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlia View Post
I'm glad Kirihara was here. Tatsuya's and Miyuki's battle are so boring. Without Kirihara cutting everything on his road I'll be snoring right now.
Yeah, I agree about Kirihara joining the raid. Heck, I'm glad that he give Hajime the coup de grace. Still, about the end of Ep. 7! I feel that it's gonna be one epic showdown between Tatsuya and Masaki.

By the way, Dengeki Bunko is the most overrated light novel label in Kadokawa's stable. Too much novels churning out every month!
Old 2014-05-18, 05:25   Link #92
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Hey we are talking about the same epiosde that featured guy massacring a bunch of birds in a small room with blood splattered everywhere. Just to sledgehammer into viewers how literal his moniker is. Need to keep up that edge right?
Yes, that shit can't be hygienic. That guy basically showered in the flesh and blood of carrion eaters, without even a mask. That was disgusting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
I wonder how many people will actually stick around long enough to see the meat of the upcoming arc. Hopefully the next arc will prove to be less.....polarizing....then this one was.
Please don't hype it too much. That will only lead to disappointment.
Old 2014-05-18, 05:35   Link #93
cyth
Banned

By standard formula I'm assuming Tatsuya will just pull another rabbit out of his ass and win.
Old 2014-05-18, 05:35   Link #94
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Please don't hype it too much. That will only lead to disappointment.
I fail to see how hoping for something to be less polarising is overhyping.
Old 2014-05-18, 05:38   Link #95
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Firstly I do not think that the terrorists were expecting a counter attack that quickly, so laxity was quite believable. In any case , these were amateurs way over their head.For all we know, the premises would have been vacated during the night anyway- they just did not realize how fast the attack would come.
I doubt that, considering the second objective of the terrorist was to take Tatsuya in custody, so no it is very unlikely they were to leave asap.
If they did, there was no apparent reason for them to loiter in that facility.
Quote:
Secondly, I do not see why the terrorist would bother putting up patrols. Firstly, it would make it too obvious that something is up. Secondly, there are less obtrusive means of surveillance such as cameras.
Why people think I expected patrols -outside- out of the open? You know, you can have people on the watch inside? A sentinel on the roof also can be difficult to spot if they actually use the facility layout to their advantages. That's also why I find stupid there isn't any trap whatsoever. Furthermore, their so called advantage with antinite make even less sense for them to clog themselves in a single room.

The lack of surveillance is absolutely stupid eitherway, and there wasn't even any surveillance camera installed.
If there were few of them, the anime utterly failed to show that.
Quote:
Finally, Miyuki cannot AOE without line of sight. Nor is she inclined to exercise her powers unless she must. Finally, she likes showing Tatsuya's powers off.
There wasn't any explanation or indication that spells cannot be used outside of the line of sight.

Likewise, there wasn't never any characterization with Miyuki indicating she doesn't use her magic unless it is necessary.

Again, complaints are valid within the anime adaptation.
Old 2014-05-18, 05:45   Link #96
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigUp View Post
I fail to see how hoping for something to be less polarising is overhyping.
The implication is that the second arc will somehow resolve the issues people had with the first. That it will be different.
Old 2014-05-18, 06:14   Link #97
itisjustme

You know all the terrorists conveniently sitting in the same place just for the gang to stomp them is kinda silly.

Now that I think about it Mahouka's #1 problem is that it takes itself way too seriously trying to sound smart when it's not, instead of embracing its silliness like most other animes out there.
Old 2014-05-18, 06:28   Link #98
Kaengel
Chupa Chups Eater

Did they really have the choice ? Tatsuya is overly serious. Even when he joke he keeps that serious face.
How can you make something with some idiotic components when your MC isn't going to move a finger before it ?
Old 2014-05-18, 06:29   Link #99
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
This whole operation was unnecessary and in hindsight dangerous.
You don't see the value in taking out a foreign-manipulated force that's trying to undermine your country? A foreign-manipulated force that is using dirty tricks and propaganda to sow divisions within the top school for producing elite mages?

This is pretty serious, if you ask me. It's certainly not something that should be ignored. It is something that should be dealt with.

Now, you can make a case that it should have been left to the adults, but a case could also be made that this would make good combat experience for some elite mages that'll be graduating from high school soon.

Plus, superpowers change things drastically.

Miyuki's offensive potential likely trumps that of several good normal human soldiers. Tatsuya is likely similar. So as long as these mages keep a decently cool head about things, I don't see how it's much more dangerous for them to clean up Blanche than it is for a random group of normal adult soldiers to do it.

Quote:

Of course, we have OP protag so they can pull it off (but I alluded to this last week). And then there's the "let's keep it all under wraps" cliche, because anime.
I don't see a problem with "let's keeping it all under wraps". It's obviously in the best interests of the school and the Japanese government to keep this under wraps. Otherwise, it could be very embarrassing and costly, to both the Japanese government and the students at Tatsuya's school. So what if it's a cliche? It makes perfectly good sense here, in-narrative.

Quote:

Also, that awkward moment about Mibu's confession to Tatsuya, that the only reason she can't be with him is because he's light years better than her (and her lover). Tatsuya is so fucking great everyone needs to say it out loud, to the detriment of their own integrity as characters.
It is getting a bit nauseating how the narrative feels the need to glamorize Tatsuya, both in word and deed, seemingly every single episode. However, this particular scene was saved somewhat by Chiba, in my view. She thankfully has a decent sense of humor, and that stopped this scene from being a total eye-roller for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
I doubt that, considering the second objective of the terrorist was to take Tatsuya in custody, so no it is very unlikely they were to leave asap.
This second objective explains most, if not all, of what you're complaining about.

They're not trying to stop Tatsuya from getting to them.

So why have patrols? Why set traps? They want him to get to where they are. So the head guy can then pull his hypnosis trick on Tatsuya, and gain a wonderful new weapon. That's the whole plan. If it works, it's a major coup.

It just didn't work, unfortunately for them.

Now, if they never had a backup plan at all, then I would consider them pretty dumb. But at least they had stocked up some serious antinite, given what Tatsuya himself had to say about it.

Simply having a decent Plan B put these guys above the level of truly dumb antagonists, in my view. Do you really expect Dr. Doom-esque "I have contingency plans for my contingency plans" villains at this juncture in the narrative?
Old 2014-05-18, 06:34   Link #100
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

It took me approximately 5 seconds to know without a shadow of doubt that I will hate this Suzaku's guts, hatred that can only be satisfied with the MC's total beat down.

Sometimes being absurdly OP is a plus on the entertainment value, you know. Who wants to spend twenty episodes not torturing and murdering Suzaku?
Closed Thread