AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2004-09-27, 13:05   Link #41
EV|RockLee
Rock Lee PWNz

Send a message via AIM to EV|RockLee Send a message via MSN to EV|RockLee
How old is Anime_Daisuki?
EV|RockLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-27, 13:18   Link #42
Turvy
Retired fansub head

Wow... this thread brings back memories...
I think the earliest series I worked on for HQA were Love Hina, Megami Kouhosei and Hand Maid May, most of which never saw the light of day, what with for example AF releasing a bunch of awesome 512x384 MK eps on the day I was going to release my crummy 320x240 version of episode 1

I think we can all agree that AnimeFactory and Anime-Fansubs are among the very first groups (that are still active), but I think it's going to be very hard to create a correct chronology of who started when and what they did.

Side note : NoSanninWa's "I think that Inuyasha or Kadocha were probably among the first digisubs." makes me feel very old
Turvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-27, 13:22   Link #43
EV|RockLee
Rock Lee PWNz

Send a message via AIM to EV|RockLee Send a message via MSN to EV|RockLee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turvy
I think we can all agree that AnimeFactory and Anime-Fansubs are among the very first groups (that are still active)
I would agree...but A-F's release for the godlyness that is twin spica is too slow to be considered "active"
EV|RockLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-03, 20:15   Link #44
Elepsis
Lives under a bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV|RockLee
How old is Anime_Daisuki?
I think their first release was Pretear, which would peg them at sometime in 2001.
Elepsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-04, 20:33   Link #45
JediNight
キズランダム

Off the top of my head sorta:
Anime-Factory, HQA, and Anime-Fansubs were the "first" digisubbers by todays standards of releasing DIVX-encoded AVI files. They all started within maybe 2 months of each other or so. Anime-Factory was also the first group to die I think ^^;; They released like Eden's Bowy, Megami Kouhousei, and like 2 other things that I can't think of off the top of my head and they basically folded after that. (I remember everyone complained about the watermarks back then that were the rage they had these moving gears). Elite-Fansubs was started shortly after them then. (My first group, had a great group of talented people, all controversy over the leader aside).
AnimeINC holds the title of your original speed blanket-subber after that ^^;; They were doing like 10 series at once with 1-3 day turnarounds when efficient groups at the time did like 2 series at 7-10day turnaround. (Then of course Aku-Fansubs, Anime-Pixel, and a 3rd group becoming the Axis of Evil AJ heehee)

Anyways, I could go on a rantage but I'll stop
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-05, 00:38   Link #46
kazuo
FUCK!

Y'all wanna talk about old? How about having to send off VHS tapes in SASE's and having to wait at least 2 mos. before you got anything back?

Now thats old-school.. I used to get stuff from Central Kansas, Kodocha, PsychoKORps, Newtype, SilverWynd etcetcetc on VHS back in the day.

As far as digisubbing, first subs I ever saw were the Love Hina subs, but I never really got into downloading digisub anime until Macross Zero came out.. its a good scene, eliminates a lot of the hassles with VHS distro, but it has its drawbacks.

Just a old fart chiming in, carry on
kazuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-06, 04:48   Link #47
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turvy
I think we can all agree that AnimeFactory and Anime-Fansubs are among the very first groups (that are still active), but I think it's going to be very hard to create a correct chronology of who started when and what they did.
Actually no, I it's not, for instance here's an old document I fished out of the archives...

{begin quote}
"Anime-Fansub-Alliance: Revision" - quoted and dated Jan 16, 2001:

(...contents omitted...)

I'm hoping the following groups agree to the A-F-A and make it possible:

Main Groups:

AnimeMpeg: ----X----
Anime-Fansubs: ---------
Anime Factory: ---------
HQA: ---------
Anime-Heaven: ---------
Elite-Fansubs: ----X----

--------- = Not Signed
----X---- = Signed

As of: Tuesday, January 16th, 2001

All of the groups above are the main anime-fansub groups. If these groups
agree to it then possibly the smaller groups will get to sign it also.
{end quote}

Got pleanty of stuff like this that is 'concrete' evidence of dates and times and groups existances. One must be careful to seperate actual facts from the biases of the communicants, though. In this case, there were other groups then, they were just newer, or they were not considered significant by the author.

The point is that by looking through older communications or documents like this, you can piece together a definate timeline of what groups existed when.

AnimeMpeg - Daa! Daa! Daa! is what I remember them for (I think?)
Elite-Fansubs - Vandread
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-06, 09:42   Link #48
Sakaki-
AnimeONE Typesetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight
(Then of course Aku-Fansubs, Anime-Pixel, and a 3rd group becoming the Axis of Evil AJ heehee)
I want to disagree here, on this point cause most people i know about that are former aku are in groups like K-F AonE Nandeyane etc.

If i remember right A-J excisted along side these groups but was formed a bit later.
Though these jointed FMP when it got licensed hehe.

That also brings me to think of Shinseiki-Illuminati who also did fmp hehe.

And when you mentioned AnimeINC i also come to think about Anime-Party hehe

Take Care
Sakaki-
Sakaki- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-10, 00:22   Link #49
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

we are forgetting Slow as Hell fansubs and Super5, slow as hell did the original jubei chan, adn super5 did DBZ from what I remember.
getfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-10, 17:43   Link #50
StarCreator
HnK founding lunatic

Except that those groups, to my knowledge, never worked digitally. There have been video captures of their work floating around though.
Old 2004-10-13, 22:40   Link #51
Access

I don't know if anyone still cares, but in looking for the actual date I found an archived dump of e-f's webpage from 2001-oct-08. Most of the news is ignorable but here is a relevant entry:

October Series:

"We apologize for lack of releases, but I can stand by this statement, October will be the month E-F stands out. We are almost approaching our 1-year anniversary, within in that time period we have accomplished more than any other group. Our plans for the end of the year are as followed. Our subtitling group will be subtitling a total of four titles, which are going to be by far the hottest series of the year. The titles as followed are going to be our new projects: Vandread The Second Stage, Najica Blitz Tactics, Mahoro: The Automatic Maiden, and the series Hikaru no Go. Before we start subtitling our new series, in this new month I want to wish every group good luck in the month of October. Let's all up the notch of quality on our episodes, and have fun in the process."

'almost approaching... one year anniversary' -- assuming this statement is true they would have been founded around 2000-oct. e-f was pretty early in the timeline of things, I don't think the rest of the groups were founded much earlier than that.

Also of note is the entry above this, which addresses a group "Not E-F", a simple testament to the group politics of the time. By 2001-oct, you had the original groups -- e-f, animefactory, HQA (I think?), and others, then you had newer groups like animeco, and sometimes the groups out there just didn't get along. Back when the main place for distro was on IRC, fserves, xdcc bots, etc., a 'war of words' -- rumor, innuendo, propaganda, threats, paranoia -- these things were not uncommon. And then there were channel takeovers, bot wars, etc., today we have bt so IRC channels aren't as important as they used to be.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-13, 23:42   Link #52
JediNight
キズランダム

I have a humorous story behind the "Not E-F" thing Basically it stems from the fact that Devilray (guy who started Elite-Fansubs) was pretty vocal and such and had some "enemies" in Anime-Fansubs. So it was a few people associated with Anime-Fansubs and some of the original people who worked on Vandread: 1st Stage for E-F who did the "Not E-F" version of Vandread: 2nd Stage. And yes, they literally labeled the files and subtitled them as NOT E-F LOL!

Now the real irony behind this was one day that I joined #anime-fansubs (they were my first digisubs watching their Love Hina, and I stayed out of problems Devilray had) so one guy in there made the comment he was downloading NOT E-F Vandread2 because he thought the Vandread1 from E-F was really bad. The irony being of course, that the people responsible for E-F Vandread1 were the ones making NOT E-F Vandread2. So the guy was actually downloading from the people who he thought did a bad job ^^

I don't know if I would really call it group politics. It was definitely a personal problem of Devilrays that the rest of the group didn't share in.

So even back then you had debates over quality
Old 2004-10-14, 00:01   Link #53
Shinobi
Ninjitsu Newbie

not to get you guys too off topic here but...

what did people do before the internet? without the internet, it makes it quite a feat just to find people who had VHS's to trade or to make the connections that would form into fansubbing groups. I suppose I'm pretty lucky that I just got into watching fansubs just this July. There is just tons of material available for me to watch, as well as a huge community here for me to waste hours discussing and reading about shows people have watched.

Was anybody here watching fansubs before the advent of digisubs and/or the internet? I'd be interested to hear what you have to say.
Shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-14, 00:56   Link #54
NeverRamza

Though I haven't been a pre-internet anime fan, I've heard about it. The only places with decent collections were anime clubs in colleges. Often times if they had the fansubs, they were made by that specific anime club. Sometimes these clubs would get in touch with each other and trade, but not very often. Usually the club was the only place to get the anime and even then some of them were a bit picky on letting their works leak out from being exclusive to the club. Other than that, fansubs were an extreme rarity and you were lucky to get your hands on a tape of actual decent watching quality. Tapes would be copied 6+ generations yet they'd still be making the rounds.
NeverRamza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-14, 01:36   Link #55
Jenichan
私のシモベ!

Send a message via AIM to Jenichan
anyone remember the fansubber on Luna-arts who fansubbed (realplayer files) Kodomo no Omocha and other series? Now that's what I think of as some of the oldest digisubs..
Jenichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-14, 09:54   Link #56
hooliganj
Team Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenichan
anyone remember the fansubber on Luna-arts who fansubbed (realplayer files) Kodomo no Omocha and other series? Now that's what I think of as some of the oldest digisubs..
I used to have some of those, but I also used to have a lot of the taped fansubs, which is why I know that they were mostly digital copies of VHS subs.
hooliganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-14, 10:27   Link #57
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight
I have a humorous story behind the "Not E-F" thing Basically it stems from the fact that Devilray (guy who started Elite-Fansubs) was pretty vocal and such and had some "enemies" in Anime-Fansubs. So it was a few people associated with Anime-Fansubs and some of the original people who worked on Vandread: 1st Stage for E-F who did the "Not E-F" version of Vandread: 2nd Stage. And yes, they literally labeled the files and subtitled them as NOT E-F LOL!

Now the real irony behind this was one day that I joined #anime-fansubs (they were my first digisubs watching their Love Hina, and I stayed out of problems Devilray had) so one guy in there made the comment he was downloading NOT E-F Vandread2 because he thought the Vandread1 from E-F was really bad. The irony being of course, that the people responsible for E-F Vandread1 were the ones making NOT E-F Vandread2. So the guy was actually downloading from the people who he thought did a bad job ^^

I don't know if I would really call it group politics. It was definitely a personal problem of Devilrays that the rest of the group didn't share in.

So even back then you had debates over quality
Though I remember hearing that the "Not E-F" versions weren't quite as good.

I also remember when a lot of members split off to form Real-Fansubbers and finish Hikaru no Go.

Where is loae666 these days, BTW?
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-14, 11:39   Link #58
teh_suck
AKA Torgen from We Suck
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by raikage
Where is loae666 these days, BTW?
He was the interpreter for the band angela at Otakon.
teh_suck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-14, 13:17   Link #59
complich8
Fansubber Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to complich8
I seem to remember right around the time hng finished up, something about him basically saying he was through with fansubbing as a whole.

Then, I could be wrong. *shrug*
complich8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-14, 13:42   Link #60
JediNight
キズランダム

Yeah loae got tired of fansubbing and decided to "retire" after Hikaru no Go. They split off to finish HnG because E-F was falling apart at that point. It was just the right time to part ways before things turned really bad. Better to split on a high note than let it fall into an abyss and try to keep it going.

Loae666 has been the head interpreter for Anime Central and Otakon for the past 2 years or so. To the best of my knowledge he's in his last year at college, then he plans to try getting hired by one of the anime companies for translation. (Unless he's changed his mind) I don't think he will have any trouble with his portfolio of translated scripts and experience as interpreter for the anime cons.