AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2013-06-10, 12:27   Link #61
ronptaku

Since it is not obvious from anything in the scanlation, I would like to point out that "Tachibana" is a name that Adachi took from H2, but the kanji are completely different. "Nikaido" and "Souichiro" are taken from Rumiko Takahashi's classic "Maison Ikkoku", also with different kanji. What bothers me most about the scanlation of names is that in ch. 13 the new girl's name is mis-translated. It should be "Haruka" (not Haruna). Haruka is also a name taken from Maison Ikkoku, with different kanji, and so it is no accident that Souichiro was the first one to meet her.

This Haruka's name means "spring and summer." A baseball team manager's name, I think. (Her father is the guy we met earlier: Oyama, so her full name is Haruka Oyama.)

Also, the name of the shop where they are moving in is "Ramen Dragon". In Japanese this is an exact rhyme of "Carmen Dragon". Hardee har har har.
ronptaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-11, 19:27   Link #62
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronptaku View Post
Since it is not obvious from anything in the scanlation, I would like to point out that "Tachibana" is a name that Adachi took from H2, but the kanji are completely different. "Nikaido" and "Souichiro" are taken from Rumiko Takahashi's classic "Maison Ikkoku", also with different kanji. What bothers me most about the scanlation of names is that in ch. 13 the new girl's name is mis-translated. It should be "Haruka" (not Haruna). Haruka is also a name taken from Maison Ikkoku, with different kanji, and so it is no accident that Souichiro was the first one to meet her.

This Haruka's name means "spring and summer." A baseball team manager's name, I think. (Her father is the guy we met earlier: Oyama, so her full name is Haruka Oyama.)

Also, the name of the shop where they are moving in is "Ramen Dragon". In Japanese this is an exact rhyme of "Carmen Dragon". Hardee har har har.
Upon checking with the translator, he is now whipping himself repeatedely for that Haruka mistype. Apparently it got through QC because, well, people just assumed the name was Haruna and he didn't notice either. Shall be fixed from the next chapter onwards.

As for your other observations, I'm not sure how much thought Adachi-sensei put into it, but I didn't even think about the Maison Ikkoku references. Tachibana being a call out to H2 is obvious, and now Haruka is also another H2 indirect reference, given how she was, as you pointed out, a baseball manager in that manga as well as one of the main characters.
Old 2013-06-11, 21:16   Link #63
ronptaku

I don't think there is anything accidental about anything Adachi does. I have read that he and Takahashi are great friends going back to college days and that he has high respect especially for Maison Ikkoku. Furthermore, MI and Touch appeared approximately at the same time, and MI fans have often publicly wished for an MI sequel involving Haruka Godai. Too many coincidences, especially for one as shrewd and calculating as Adachi.

Frankly, I had forgotten that the 4th H in H2 is also Haruka, and I always thought *she* was an MI tribute name as well. (Maybe my view is colored by that fact that I came to Adachi by way of Maison Ikkoku.) Of course, the kanji in Haruka Koga's name mean "spring flower." I am so glad you reminded me of that connection. I don't know how I didn't think of it on my on.
Old 2013-06-11, 21:20   Link #64
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

That is quite true, and I am aware of the mutual respect between Adachi and Takahashi. Actually, if memory serves, somewhere on the Internet there was one quote attributed to Rumiko Takahashi where she said if she could ever sign a manga with another pen name that wasn't hers, she'd use Mitsuru Adachi.

I've watched Maison Ikkoku a looong time ago, so I definitely didn't even think about the relation to those names. Since I'm always re-reading Adachi stuff, though, Haruka definitely popped up in my mind right away. I guess it helps she might be my favourite Adachi female main character, too, so forgetting about her is pretty hard for me!

Still, this is all really interesting trivia, and it just goes to show yet again how fascinating Adachi works can be even to these smallest details. Gotta love the man!
Old 2013-06-11, 21:36   Link #65
ronptaku

It's hard for me to decide between the Adachi girls. Probably Minami is #1 for me, though. (Ami Ninomiya, Miyuki Wakamatsu, and Kasumi Kishimoto are all up there too. All the same "actress" right? )

I have great respect for the MI anime, but if you haven't read the manga you should. (The secondary character Nikaido, btw, is not in the anime.) It is amazing how much expression both of them can put into the eyes of a character with simple line drawings.
Old 2013-06-12, 22:42   Link #66
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

I'll take a look into it one of these days! Need to find the time, though, haha.

Also, Chapter 14 is out

All in all, it was a good chapter, although a setup for the things to come. Hopefully Adachi will jump to Spring now and not lose too much time, but honestly speaking, even chapters like these are still just so entertaining. Ooyama is a typical Adachi bum, and his comedy bits just worked perfectly for me. I thought we were about to get a bit more info about Otomi and Sou's biological father, but we were cut short just before, damn! haha.

Also, the moment with Otomi and Touma was just really cute. Loved seeing how she called him Tou-niichan before, when she was a naive, cute little girl. Now it's trying to pass him off as her dad with the Tou-chan thing everytime opportunity she gets, haha. But yeah, it was sweet!
Old 2013-06-12, 23:03   Link #67
ronptaku

Yep. I read it earlier today. (I read them raw, but I happened to look at the translated one after reading some comments in another forum.)

I particularly enjoyed how Sou lost interest in going by the Oyama house after he found out Haruka wasn't gonna be there. And of course, the Adachi groaners, this time with "Cheers" and "Pay back" which rhyme in Japanese.
Old 2013-06-12, 23:10   Link #68
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

Haha, yeah, Sou's little excuse was pretty funny. And not only that -- he left so full of himself to complain at the 'drunkard' who was making a ruckus at his house, but as soon as he realized it was Haruka's father who he'd seen before, he kinda seemed like he should reconsider whatever he was about to do.

On the coach front, nothing too surprising. The guy was clearly the perfect candidate. It also makes me laugh, because Ooyama somewhat reminds me of Haruka's brother in H2, they're both kinda laidback funny types and coaches. Except, well, this time it's the dad and not a brother, but still related to a "Haruka", who may or may not end up as the manager!
Old 2013-06-12, 23:24   Link #69
ronptaku

I also was intrigued by the last page

Spoiler for Chapter 14 Content Discussion:
Old 2013-06-12, 23:30   Link #70
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

Spoiler for Chapter 14:

Last edited by Blue-kun; 2013-06-12 at 23:53.
Blue-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-13, 07:35   Link #71
ronptaku

Spoiler for Chapter 14:

So far, MIX reminds me most of Katsu! I don't recall any major tragedies in Katsu! I remember it as a gentle tale of young people discovering adult feelings without a lot of drama or conflict (other than sports.) That is how MIX seems so far. To add a huge amount of drama and tragedy to a Touch sequel seems like gilding the lily, especially since these kids have already suffered tragedies before the curtain opens, but only time will tell.
Old 2013-09-27, 15:04   Link #72
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronptaku View Post
Spoiler for Chapter 14:

So far, MIX reminds me most of Katsu! I don't recall any major tragedies in Katsu! I remember it as a gentle tale of young people discovering adult feelings without a lot of drama or conflict (other than sports.) That is how MIX seems so far. To add a huge amount of drama and tragedy to a Touch sequel seems like gilding the lily, especially since these kids have already suffered tragedies before the curtain opens, but only time will tell.
Katsuki's real father sustain the head injury that kill him in that match against his adopted father doesn't count?

Read ch17 - I am big fan of Adachi but since mix is a Monthly serial i really wish he would get to the point quicker instead of wasting a entire chapter on nothing.
Old 2014-04-22, 21:48   Link #73
Mwulf

Holy crap! I remember my account info!

Just popping in because I love Adachi and want to talk about Mix.

Like everyone else, I'm a huge fan of Touch. I'm currently in the 1st volume of Mix and having trouble reading because I'm having difficulty containing my excitement... and my anxiety.

I'm terrified Tatsuya and Minami won't show up; I'm terrified they will.

To comment on a few things others have said in this thread:

-Katsu! doesn't really have a tragic element because his father's death occurred prior to story and he never really had a relationship with him, therefore there's no real emotional potency. Adachi is "known" for including tragedy in his stories, but it's not really appropriate. Really, of his big series, the only ones that really emphasized a 'tragedy' were Cross Game and Touch, both to beautiful effect.

-I'm with ya': it's impossible to rank Adachi's best manga, because they're all so good. Yeah: Katsu!, Cross Game, Touch, H2, Miyuki, etc. A bit surprised no one mentioned Niji Iro Togarashii--in my opinion, it's one of his very best works and has, IMHO, one of the best resolutions to a "villain" of any story in any medium.

-Ranking the heroins, though? I'm sorry, but that's not difficult at all. Tsukishima Aoba (Cross Game) is leagues ahead of the best. She wasn't even a heroine--she was THE protagonist of the series.
Mwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-03, 00:32   Link #74
konokon
Banned

Glad to see all ADACHI MITSURU SENSEI fans here and really good comments made on related to Names . i have yet to complete TOUCH and just read 11 chapters of H2

thankfully in above comments i didn't got any spoilers .

so far MIX is going quite good . TOUMA the ACE and now Coach says SOUCHIRU to throw balls . competition between brothers .

HARUKA CHAN knows Touma from childhood . Haruka Chan and Touma visit a tourist spot
and the natural Humour . also there is another HINT in that baseball team LIFT .
konokon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-21, 07:45   Link #75
konokon
Banned

Chapter 25 is UP . What a chapter . ADACHI MITSURU AT BEST .

CHAPTER 25 >>>>> THROW A PITCH

CHAPTER 26 >>>>> ROCK PAPER SCISSORS

TATSUYA UESUGI at front page Newspaper as well as at KOESHIEN . I didn't notice it

even after reading it but then read a comment and checked again and I AM HAPPY .

Touma father Tachibana became ace in 3rd year High School and that place taken by
Souchirou father Ikechi and further Souchirou clear things that Tachibana cheer for touma and not souchirou and what a way to decide the ace place by

ROCK PAPER SCISSORS . ADACHI MITSURU has kept the story moving forward and

Interesting and all people who know ADACHI MITSURU are buying the manga and this is

why MIX Volume Print are over sold and RE-PRINT order is made .

Last edited by konokon; 2014-09-29 at 10:20.
Old 2014-09-29, 10:30   Link #76
konokon
Banned

CHAPTER 27 IS UP .

CHAPTER 27 >>>>> JUST A PASSERBY

ADACHI MITSURU is brilliant . I Am really enjoying it .

Father Son Pair is really good . Touma and father Souchirou and Father

and then we have SUMI TECH Father Son Pair and son is doing the same things

and so Father who throw curve balls and the son who also throw the curve balls

Father clearly say to the son to not be an IDIOT . This is funny This brings Memories

This makes you happy and this is why MIX is a SUPER HIT .

ADACHI MITSURU keep the great work and publishers put more efforts to advertise

MIX around AUGUST near KOEHIEN and I Am sure It will be OverSold in a Week .

ADACHI MITSURU has slowly slowly build the beautiful story MIX .
Old 2014-10-05, 07:49   Link #77
Haiyami

Well chapter 28 is out. It's official, Souichirou and Otome's dad is named Sawai Keiichi. And the chapter refers Sawai Keiichi as the guy who was the #1 pitcher that one Koushien. Did Adachi make a mistake? Because wasn't the pitcher Tatsuya? Unless they are referring to Tatsuya's successor. But this still doesn't make sense. Anyways can anyone shed some light?
Haiyami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-05, 09:35   Link #78
konokon
Banned

CHAPTER 28 IS UP

Another good chapter . Looks Like Many School Names are Changed .

Sawai Keichi Was Best Pitcher After MEISEI HIGH SCHOOL won The Koushein

SO ADACHI MITSURU isn't wrong here . after TOTSUYA UESUGI

SAWAI KEICHI is the best Pitcher of MEISEI High School

SO Now Sourchirou and Touma know about Sawai Keichi

AKAI TOMOHITO is left handed and 1st year Ace Home Run Hitter .

ADACHI MITSURU each chapter give pleasant Heart Warming Moments .
Old 2014-10-13, 03:18   Link #79
konokon
Banned

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/inte...s-apart/.78792

On a recent episode of TV Asahi's talk show Ametalk, veteran manga artist Mitsuru Adachi was given the challenge of identifying the Tatsuya Uesugi, the main character of Touch, one of his most popular manga series, from among three characters that he had drawn for other series. Much to his chagrin, and the internet's entertainment, Adachi got it wrong, proving that even he is unable to point to tell his characters apart. In his defense, the three characters are extremely hard to tell apart:

While being unable to recognize your own most famous character from among other characters that you created might be embarrassing enough, the real clincher is that the other two characters that he could have chosen from were Masato Wakamatsu from Miyuki and Yūsaku Takasugi from Hiatari Ryōkō!, who are both the main male characters in their respective series. Incidentally, Adachi was unable to correctly identify those two as well. If you're curious as to which one is which, the correct order would be Masato Wakamatsu on the left, Yūsaku Takasugi in the center, and Tatsuya Uesugi on the right. If you were able to give the correct answers, congratulations.
Still, Adachi does seem to have a habit of creating characters that look eerily similar. Take a look at this chart of some of his most prominent male characters throughout his career:

Touch was originally serialized in Japan's Weekly Shonen Sunday from 1981 to 1986. In 1983, it received the Shogakukan Manga Award for shōnen or shōjo manga alongside Adachi's Miyuki. It was adapted into a television anime in 1985.
Shonen Sunday happened to post about Adachi's televised flop, spreading the author's embarrassment even further.
Old 2016-01-21, 12:00   Link #80
BlazingKyogre

What is the latest chapter in this manga?
BlazingKyogre is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adachi mitsuru, baseball