AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-03-23, 07:09   Link #17661
RPG_Fanatic
Fallere825

That was an action packed volume. 10/10 for me.
Interesting to see some more Kihara family members. The fights were well done.
And the setup for the next volume looks interesting.
Old 2012-03-23, 07:10   Link #17662
apsody243

That is a very good point that i haven't considered. Why are we talking about the students?
Old 2012-03-23, 07:14   Link #17663
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by apsody243 View Post
I hate to interrupt but I think that most of you are forgetting that for the most part AC never did much relie on the students for their combat prowess.

Excluding the LVL5's and dark org groups like Item and Group AC's main fighting bulk consists of normals with high tech equipment eg Five Over, HSH, HSF HSB, Alester and his Scripts as well as Fuze=Kazakiri and the I.N. District.

For the most part the students were never a part of the equation.

Look at WW3 for example, excluding the a fore mentioned lvl5's and dark org groups none of the students took part in it.

Just my 2 cents
And with those, the Science Side is now the strongest faction around and looks set to usher in the Horus Age and crush the Magic Side...
Old 2012-03-23, 07:16   Link #17664
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Probably since Mikoto actually represents the entire student body of Academy City, and she is the closest Level 5 to Touma, it is not crazy to think that she must have something that can help out Touma should the need arises.

However, we should consider that Index, who can be high-tier when it comes to magic abilities under John's Pen Mode, is already sidetracked, what are the chances that she would defend herself against the likes of the new characters from NT4, let alone the power of Dainsleif?

^EDIT: Regarding high-tier Science characters, we should get more like FUZE=KAZAKIRI by the time the war shifts to Academy City.
Is it possible that we might get one of the following:
> More artificial angels like Hyouka
> Dark Matter-powered suits of armor
> Multiple FIVE_OVER powered suits
> Espers that are overloaded by AIM from the Imaginary Number District
> Artificial angel-esper hybrids
> More powerful cyborgs with immunity to electricity
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2012-03-23, 07:25   Link #17665
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Actually there's a more important point that needs to be brought up- Why are all of you talking about the normal students of Academy City? Because I cannot for the life of me find the first poster in your current discussion that claims that they should use them

How did Mikoto suddenly become all the students ?
But Mikoto is still a student look at the railgun girls. Touma would probably exchange his bad luck to be like that Though he still needs to save the others but he still needs to go to school or really. he will ended up repeating the term.

And please. they are all students and even accelerator is though he goes to special class and doesn't need to go to school

This was indeed an important matter but we are talking about the esper at first for Mikoto and if we are talking about the power of academy city then they had that crazy HS, Artificial heaven and angel and also the crazy Kihara

As of before the parents are probably having doubts in academy city but they won the war and they can protect themselves but the city is turning into a dangerous spot if Othinus who can take on Fiamma and Ollerus together and turn it into draw plans to go attack the windowless building I don't see it not turning into a battlefield from the past experience of NT with how the Gremlin do their works.

Students still made up the majority of the city with more than 80% populations. They are in trouble if a war broke up. Though I wonder how the magicians will counter artificial heaven. The reason they don't attack the city is because of it but given that Othinus plans to go their then she must have a plan.

Plus Aleister is being cornered or his artificial heaven is in danger. The clones are being hunted down and even if they have been escaped or been hidden. The primary concerns for Othinus was probably to take care of them. Though she would need to go against accelerator to get through them

Mikoto represents the academy city in a view point of a good city and can live a normal life. Plus she is the most sane person in level 5 and more normal too shortpants yap normal
Old 2012-03-23, 07:26   Link #17666
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

Another thing we haven't included much into the discussion is the effects of AIM on magicians. Even up till now, I felt that Academy City were holding back as much as GREMLIN in terms of power.

Allow me to be extremely blunt here, but if we're talking about why Mikoto is being involved in this discussion:

1. She's the protagonist of her own series in a spin-off (and you don't normally get that even if you're extremely popular, or else we would have a a Certain Psychotic Accelerator)
2. She represents the strongest of the normals in what was supposed to be a High School story (until all sorts of chaos took over, and in normal circumstances, her mother would not allow her to take part in a war if it happens. Just look at SS)
3. She's supposed to be the so-called frontrunner in the race to become Touma's girl. (But given Touma's track record...)
4. To put it simply, her fans want to see more action from her. (though to what extent of power increase she should get when not even Fridge's power could take on GREMLIN is varied amongst the fanbase.)
Old 2012-03-23, 07:28   Link #17667
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

All I'm saying is, a non-darkness, low levelled Esper like Maria can at least survive an encounter with Marian. So I KNOW it's there are students that can fight even if it's not part of gym lessons.

Look it's going to be like any country, only less than 1% of their population is in the Military, or in this case since they're not an Army we'll call them 'combat effective'. But 1% of 1.8 million espers is still 18 000. And lets say 5% of that are 'Elite Forces' material, leaving us still with 900.

If you train them, equip them... That's far more than I've ever seen a Magician elite force can field. And don't forget these crazy-over-powered magicians are extremely limited in numbers and can't be everywhere protecting everything.
Old 2012-03-23, 07:32   Link #17668
tsunade666

you really want to let the students to fight chaoz

I won't blink or argue if those kids are from the dark side but still they are still kids <.< and even Touma getting involve at them is giving me trouble but well his the MC and all and it's like a trend now a days.

But I like the theme of railgun which is showing the normal days in academy city. I actually love it when they are showing that too in the novel. Having a break with the battle which I miss because their is no time for that in NT which makes me sad.

It's just.... well its nice living like normal in a not normal world.

I'm not against for the Kihara though plus if you said that they should protect their own home that's why they would fight but the enemy won't hesitate in killing them.

GOOOO HS!!!!! HARD SCIENCE IS THE ANSWER
Old 2012-03-23, 07:39   Link #17669
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
you really want to let the students to fight chaoz

I won't blink or argue if those kids are from the dark side but still they are still kids <.< and even Touma getting involve at them is giving me trouble but well his the MC and all and it's like a trend now a days.
Again, I'm just pointing out that if it comes down to it, From a story perspective Academy City doesn't have to always need to rely on Assholes (darkness) to fight their battles.

What if a couple of Imoutos got captured by Gremlin, do you really want to sent the Kiharas? I'm not against using them (from a story-telling perspective) But sometimes you need good people in your arsenal as well, and Kamijou can't be everywhere.
Old 2012-03-23, 07:40   Link #17670
tsunade666

okay, okay I know that but like my point. I prefer the HS or their weaponry than the students fighting the enemy.
Old 2012-03-23, 07:47   Link #17671
tsunade666

a normal person and not a student and also a good person...... basically a nobody that just enter into protagonist stage. A bad ass normal? or like Kagun bro?

Tatemiya-bro would like a word with you...... heck I already forgotten about him catching the blade. I want to see the necessarius again and I want to know what the archbishop been plotting too.
Old 2012-03-23, 07:57   Link #17672
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
a normal person and not a student and also a good person...... basically a nobody that just enter into protagonist stage. A bad ass normal? or like Kagun bro?
Sorry, I changed my mind, it has to be a student He just has to- yes 'he', there's too many girls already...

He doesn't have to be a paragon, just you know have some basic human decency.

Admittedly this is more likely to manifest as an OC protagonist of a fanfic than a viable support character in the official story

Quote:
Tatemiya-bro would like a word with you...... heck I already forgotten about him catching the blade. I want to see the necessarius again and I want to know what the archbishop been plotting too.
If I'm being positive, I would like to think that they're secretly conducting investigations during all these incidents while Gremlin is pre-occupied by Academy City Forces and tunnel-vision to Kamijou Touma.
Old 2012-03-23, 08:24   Link #17673
zaeraal

I am not sure if the talk about Mikoto should go to her thread or not,
but when everyone is talking about power ups, I personally can't see Kamachi making power ups for characters..

I mean he always just brings new character instead of using his old ones, heck just look at Etzali, who got power up, but didn't even really got to use it (when he last apeared?).

If the war goes back to AC, he will bring new mad characters, that will go and "save" AC, there is a lot of space from where to choose.
From Kiharas, Cyborgs, Robots, Imoutos, Angels, Dark Groups, new Army(AntiSkill) Units, Teachers (didn't they trained under antiskills?), Brainwashed Saints
to some Magical Summons, Mystical Heroes, Mutants, People from City of Shimmers, Dead Soldiers/Zombies(he already has thousands of dead people just from his experiments) or even Plants .
Or he can just use the AC-espers powers to form a barrier to prevent magicians from entering (like a full artificial heaven in AC)

Even the "sample" in Crowly's building is certainly going to be new character.
Old 2012-03-23, 08:56   Link #17674
Ashaman

I'm offically bored of talking power levels.

Now that you guys have mentioned Etzali - What do you reckon he's up to now.

And Awaki too. Who wants to bet she'll join Touma's class?
Old 2012-03-23, 08:59   Link #17675
judasmartel
*Author

Ah yes, Ermac-tan. I wonder if she will be back helping defend AC.
Old 2012-03-23, 09:25   Link #17676
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaman View Post
I'm offically bored of talking power levels.

Now that you guys have mentioned Etzali - What do you reckon he's up to now.
Two things, either he's gone back to fix the problem of his cabal, which is reasonable.

Or he's spending time with two teenage girls in the hospital, which is understandable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaman View Post
And Awaki too. Who wants to bet she'll join Touma's class?
Unlikely, it's a class for idiots...Heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaeraal View Post
I am not sure if the talk about Mikoto should go to her thread or not,
but when everyone is talking about power ups, I personally can't see Kamachi making power ups for characters..
Kamachi only hand out power-ups to his villains, though on rare occasions his heroes do get power-ups.

I don't think Misaka would get a power-up per say, but rather a new way to use her power.

(I'm still banking on an Iron Sand Armor)

Quote:
I mean he always just brings new character instead of using his old ones, heck just look at Etzali, who got power up, but didn't even really got to use it (when he last apeared?).
NT2, flirting with his Central American girls.
Old 2012-03-23, 09:30   Link #17677
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
I'm still banking on an Iron Sand Armor
Oh shi-! That would be awesome. Mikoto the Thunder Knight!
Old 2012-03-23, 09:33   Link #17678
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
All I'm saying is, a non-darkness, low levelled Esper like Maria can at least survive an encounter with Marian. So I KNOW it's there are students that can fight even if it's not part of gym lessons.
Is it okay to use Maria as an example? I was surprised at how skilled she was despite her low level, but she isn't calling herself a genius for nothing. She's a real exception.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Old 2012-03-23, 09:36   Link #17679
desrtsku
Nympholept

hahaha, "a class for idiots" that one made my day

ah damn, I forgot, for the whole thing I'd give 8/10. Reasons :
-new cute and/or badass entertaining characters
-Kamachi's creativity never cease to impress me!! His reccurent use of the myths and tales for the magic side of course, but this time it was his theory of the holistic espers that hooked me.
-I somehow felt the something that made Toaru special in the pre-NT volumes are back in this one
-I'm not the type to give more than 8.5/10+ unless it's (close to) a masterpiece

Quote:

Even the "sample" in Crowly's building is certainly going to be new character.
Did I miss something? I thought the sample was ... him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Ping View Post
Come on, this is a series where your normal electric/fire/water powers that would be overpowered in practically any other series would be considered mid-low tier. Superman-like abilities are even mid-tier here (looking at the Saints...). When your Suzumiya Haruhi here would be pretty much mid-tier, you got to wonder what sort of powers it would take to be top-tier...
One week ago I would have said that, "you're wrong Haruhi is a God-broke Tier here" but after reading the theory of the holistic espers, the universe buster-class suddenly look pretty "average" in the Toaru standard

Quote:
Sorry, I changed my mind, it has to be a student He just has to- yes 'he', there's too many girls already...
XD ... sorry, I'll refrain from laughing

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
Oh shi-! That would be awesome. Mikoto the Thunder Knight!
Too saber-like so ... NO NO NO
Old 2012-03-23, 09:38   Link #17680
judasmartel
*Author

Ah, no Lightning Saber then?
Closed Thread

Tags
action, dengeki bunko, fantasy, light novels, science fiction, shounen