AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 67 38.95%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 49 28.49%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 31 18.02%
7 out of 10 : Good 18 10.47%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 2.91%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.58%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.58%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-08, 23:57   Link #61
psme

Hmmm... not good at all! The OP is lame! The ED is bland! The flow is RUSH!

Seriously, the preview Decultured version is WAY BETTER! That was EPIC with a great IMPACT! And nothing top that ED!

The best thing is the 2 versions end at the same spot. I'll take the director cut as the real ep1!

I want new song CD from the Galaxy Network!

regards,

Li On
Old 2008-04-09, 01:28   Link #62
Westlo
Lets be reality

Can we even call Deculture the director's cut anymore? Whatever shows up on the dvd will be the director's cut really.. Also I have no idea why they included the opening this episode, was totally unneeded. They could've shown a 40/50 second version of it in place of the ED if they really wanted to push the cd single.
Old 2008-04-09, 01:32   Link #63
ChronoReverse

Still don't think much of the OP. It's not really Maaya's fault, the song just doesn't really have punch to it. Hopefully there'll be a second OP down the road.
Old 2008-04-09, 01:39   Link #64
Shouta
Infinite-Zero/Translator

Anyone notice that Mikhail is also called Michel in the show? I just found that out this time so it was an error in our release of the broadcast edition. Kind of stupid on the creator's part to do something like that, really annoying in all cases.

A couple of minor errors like Kaim towards the end was meant to be kaibutsu (didn't hear it correctly and didn't have time to go back and check) and some other minorly fudged things.
Old 2008-04-09, 02:29   Link #65
Ottocycle

Wow, look at all that bashing of the OP. Looks like Kanno+Sakamoto in a Macross project leads people to real high expectations.

But are they overly so? While I'd admit that it wasn't a masterpiece, I doubt even Kanno can produce music that can suit everyone's tastes, or should I say masterpieces, every time. Having this team come up with two popular past OPs doesn't automatically mean they will for the next. My point being, she/they are not perfect, with the vastly differing views of Darker than Black's OST being an example.

As for my own take on the OP, I liked the character introductions of the sequence far better than the chorus with the battle scene. Very very good buildup I must say. Though the battle scenes fell short, we are just watching OP1, after all.

Guess it's the producers' fault for titillating the senses so much with the Deculture Edition that it makes the actual first episode bland in comparison. Taken for its own, the actual first episode is pretty amazing as well IMO.
Old 2008-04-09, 02:42   Link #66
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug23 View Post
Having this team come up with two popular past OPs doesn't automatically mean they will for the next.
Triangler had a hard task in following Yakusoku wa Iranai, Kiseki no Umi, Platinum & Hemisphere. It's not just OP songs too since everyone will compare it to all the EDs, insert songs and movie themes they have done. I still think Triangler is a good song and the hate for it is a bit OTT but I think Don't Be Late would've made a better choice for the opening song TBH. Though I can see why they didn't use it since it was 3 months old by the time the series properly started.
Old 2008-04-09, 02:52   Link #67
Ottocycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
I still think Triangler is a good song and the hate for it is a bit OTT but I think Don't Be Late would've made a better choice for the opening song TBH. Though I can see why they didn't use it since it was 3 months old by the time the series properly started.
Not to mention the risk of overplaying the song, since it will be a total of 3 times the viewer would hear it in the space of 25 minutes. Not a good tactic to market a potential hit IMO.

That aside, no one bothered about the phenomenal BGM in this episode? For example the grandness that came with Alto's takeoff, the eccentricity that was in the meeting between Lanca and Alto, and of course the frantic orchestra that was in the space battle(YMMV for this particular one, I suppose, since it did replace that phenomenal original).

I loved how they cut off Alto's soaring BGM for Don't be Late as well. Excellent sound direction.

Oh yeah. Nyan Nyan Ad FTW too. ^^
Old 2008-04-09, 03:09   Link #68
Westlo
Lets be reality

Yeah I preferred the new BGM used for Alto's takeoff compared to the older one, isn't the bgm for the space battle the same one as Deculture except started way earlier?
Old 2008-04-09, 03:48   Link #69
Ramong
Danish geek

Send a message via MSN to Ramong
Seen episode 1 finally.
Even tho i liked the episode in december better (decultured version or whatever), this was still good in my opinion.
The commercial was funny
Old 2008-04-09, 03:58   Link #70
Ottocycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Yeah I preferred the new BGM used for Alto's takeoff compared to the older one, isn't the bgm for the space battle the same one as Deculture except started way earlier?
lol I only watched Deculture once, right when it aired, so my memory kinda lapsed since I deleted it after watching^^

So I was judging it on its own I guess, probably why I am more inclined to defending it after all that bashing.
Old 2008-04-09, 04:24   Link #71
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
well having the lyrics for the opening actually makes me like it more, really fits the animation.
Old 2008-04-09, 07:43   Link #72
hai_san

if i wouldnt have watch the director's cut version in december i would have give this first ep a "10" but comparing it the prevous version i prefer the director's cut more so only a "9" from me. OP and insert songs are great as ever only the ED, it wasnt really my taste..
Old 2008-04-09, 07:46   Link #73
Westlo
Lets be reality

Diamond Crevasse seems to be the proper ED (Cd Single coming out next month with Don't Be Late as the B side) so if this ed wasn't for you than next episodes fixes that.
Old 2008-04-09, 07:54   Link #74
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
I personally prefer this version. This is mainly because the flight scene during the concert shows Sheryl's professionalism more than anything else. She was willing to drop her 'hatred' of alto's team and improvised maginficently like any decent star should be able to when disaster strikes. Props to her; she's gained many plus points for me.
I agree, that was probably the ONE thing that was good about this version.

Quote:
So while I love synchronized pew pew with song just like in DYRL, I'd take character development over that this early in the series anyday. It's only episode one after all, and there's still plenty of chances of something that grand near the end of the series, no?
But the thing was, the whole first ep back in December just felt better choreographed and they used all the major musical themes instead of holding back. Also, why tease with the epic then decidedly scale it back? I'm borderline angry at the staff for even doing that. I mean, what purpose does it serve? If they wanted exposition, they could have continued in ep 2, ep 3, etc. But like you said, I think the one part where Sheryl showed professionalism was good. But that could've been done in any other episode.

It's like "oh, let's make the director's cut into something like an OVA quality with great flow" then "oh, let's scale everything back and re-do it and pull in the reins". If they were going to do that, why even release the director's cut? Yeah, 25th anniversary and all, but I just think they created the pitfall for themselves. I really don't think it's that big a criticism personally, but I think there's legitimacy in why ep 1 feels a bit like a letdown. Hopefully, Kanno didn't scale back the OST too much after this either.

Quote:
Still, I loved Ranka's 'Ai Oboete Imasuka', as her performance there is heads and tails above her performance with the new ED. Oh well, I have a creeping suspicion that would be one of the in-story songs whenever Ranka becomes an idol. (Seriously now, who doesn't see that coming? Her VA was chosen from an audition where singing played a major part after all)
I have a feeling the ED is a placeholder. Too short to stay there for long.

Also, I sort of wish Ranka does not become the new Minmay. That'd be a tad bit too stereotypical. Maybe they should let her go guerilla/indy like with Fire Bomber?
Old 2008-04-09, 08:16   Link #75
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

I had decently high expectations of this, but the first episode fails to meet them on all aspects, save for the CG quality, which is notably impressive.

The pacing is very fast, not to say rushed. We are introduced to a load of characters but given little reason to care about whats happening to them before jumping on to the pew pew that was the second part of the episode. I didn't find the characters very likable either. And while the action is nice indeed, it lacked suspense and excitement, which the previous Macross (Zero) had in spades.

Can't say the story excites me much either, but i suppose it will do for setting the stage for the battles to take place. Of course this part is likely prone to change, seeing it has only been one (and rather abrupt) episode.

In short: more exposition for the characters (and not some concert without a real purpose) and more details for the setting so i can actually care about whats going on. It wasn't all that bad, but it certainly lacked the impact i was expecting of it. When the most memorable scene of the episode is a nyan~ nyan~ moment, that speaks for itself of my impressions. Going to keep watching, but not setting my expectations very high.
Old 2008-04-09, 09:15   Link #76
Ninjamasta

[QUOTE=Skyfall;1521505]
The pacing is very fast, not to say rushed. We are introduced to a load of characters but given little reason to care about whats happening to them before jumping on to the pew pew that was the second part of the episode. I didn't find the characters very likable either. And while the action is nice indeed, it lacked suspense and excitement, which the previous Macross (Zero) had in spades.
QUOTE]

I would blame it on the lame OP song...and I blame the animators for rushing this episode. Hopefully they would slow down abit in the next coming episodes, but after preview for ep.2, I guess it would be another rush for dateline.
Old 2008-04-09, 10:15   Link #77
Calder
Innocent Bystander

The music and some of the pacing during the second half of the episode was...cringe worthy. Especially the chase past the Capital Ships and the Red Crustacean entering the city was noticeably played faster than the Deculture Version. It seems like it was a hack job just to get it out there. I certainly don't think that's going to appear on the DVDs (they didn't even show the monster blasting through the dome for goodness sake).

The Deculture Edition was excellent though. The 2nd episode appears to be quite exciting (with the GERWALK chase and the Battroid Missile spam and all) - this is where it actually starts for me.
Old 2008-04-10, 04:32   Link #78
aardvark

For all of you missing the footage from the Deculture edition of episode 1, the first Macross F DVD/Blu Ray will have a 32 minute version of episode 1. Who knows how it will be structured though...
Old 2008-04-10, 05:33   Link #79
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Likely they'll mix the best parts of the 2, the arguments between Deculture vs. Broadcast should (hopefully) be quelled once and for all.
Old 2008-04-10, 08:23   Link #80
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
For all of you missing the footage from the Deculture edition of episode 1, the first Macross F DVD/Blu Ray will have a 32 minute version of episode 1. Who knows how it will be structured though...
I'm looking forward to seeing this version sometime in July
Closed Thread