AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-03-28, 16:17   Link #1501
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Well... crap. That should teach me for letting the "Microsoft kanji insertion" module do my work for me. I wasn't even paying attention. O.O

thanks for noting that. (corrected)
Old 2008-03-29, 23:32   Link #1502
onehp
Banned

ピアノの音がどこからともなく聞こえてきます。

What does the bolded mean and how can I use it in another sentence?
onehp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-29, 23:44   Link #1503
Rembr

It's actually a combination with dokokara.

Dokokaratomonaku, exact translation meaning 'not from anywhere' which in turn will roughly mean 'out of nowhere' in most contexes. Basically saying that the sound of piano is coming from out of nowhere.

Here's another example:

俺様がどこからともなくやって来て、貴方にとても分かりやすい答えをあげてくれました。
Rembr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-14, 13:46   Link #1504
NervZero
RAWR!!!

Send a message via AIM to NervZero
I'm attempting to teach myself Japanese

Hey how are you all doing.. I was wondering if anyone could help me out.. I'm as I have already said attempting to learn japanese I am currently using free software from www.byki.com I was wondering if anyone had any recommandations for me. So i can make this easyer on myself.. I'm currently just doing a lesson a day.. So I have been doing this for about 3 days so I know how to say the 4 different seasons (Haru, Natsu, Aki, Fuyu) I also know some animals (Kuma, washi, mitsubachi, tyou, gokiburi, and others) and I have also learned how to say different types of food (ninjin, jagaimo, painappuru, ringo, banana, and others..) So as you can see the software is good but i was wondering if anyone else had others that might help.

Also, watching anime helps me because i can hear japanese being spoken and I often pick up on the words I know..
NervZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-14, 13:51   Link #1505
Bou
Nyoron~

I do not use software, I teach myself by playing little games with words, spelling them with cards and stuff. It really does work!
It doesn't work for everyone, you could just memorise and get family or friends to quiz you.

There is loads of Japanese teaching websites..
Bou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-14, 14:11   Link #1506
escimo
Paparazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NervZero View Post
Hey how are you all doing.. I was wondering if anyone could help me out.. I'm as I have already said attempting to learn japanese I am currently using free software from www.byki.com I was wondering if anyone had any recommandations for me. So i can make this easyer on myself.. I'm currently just doing a lesson a day.. So I have been doing this for about 3 days so I know how to say the 4 different seasons (Haru, Natsu, Aki, Fuyu) I also know some animals (Kuma, washi, mitsubachi, tyou, gokiburi, and others) and I have also learned how to say different types of food (ninjin, jagaimo, painappuru, ringo, banana, and others..) So as you can see the software is good but i was wondering if anyone else had others that might help.

Also, watching anime helps me because i can hear japanese being spoken and I often pick up on the words I know..
Couple of links I've found useful in learning the basics.
http://animeworld.com/japanese/lesson1-1.html
http://www.learn-japanese.info/lesson01.html
If you're trying to learn the spoken language first and then reading and writing I'd recommend buying "Japanese for Busy People Romanized version" published by AJALT.
Here's a good link for romanizing written Japanese.
http://www.kawa.net/works/ajax/romanize/japanese-e.html

There are also many relatively good online dictionaries. Google helps with them.
escimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-14, 14:24   Link #1507
LiberLibri
(`◉◞౪◟◉´)

Send a message via AIM to LiberLibri
Possibly you'll find the answer in this thread .
LiberLibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 10:04   Link #1508
Theowne
耳をすませば

Some translation help...Just need some short sentences in simplistic sentence form...romaji...

"This is a photo of the Merlion. It is a water fountain. The shape of it's head is a lion. The shape of it's body is a fish. It is very popular." And also, to say, "I was born in <blank>" and "I visited <blank> two years ago."

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 11:57   Link #1509
LiberLibri
(`◉◞౪◟◉´)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
Some translation help...Just need some short sentences in simplistic sentence form...romaji...

"This is a photo of the Merlion. It is a water fountain. The shape of it's head is a lion. The shape of it's body is a fish. It is very popular." And also, to say, "I was born in <blank>" and "I visited <blank> two years ago."
1. kore ha ma-raion no shashin desu. (ma-raion ha) funsui desu. atama no katachi ha raion desu. karada no katachi ha sakana desu. totemo yuumei desu.

2. watashi ha ___ ni umare mashita.

3. ni nen mae, watashi ha ___ wo otozure mashita.

I hope they will do.
Old 2008-04-16, 15:53   Link #1510
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Sounds to me like you just did someone's homework for them.......
Old 2008-04-16, 16:09   Link #1511
Theowne
耳をすませば

Well, sort of, I wanted to include some more complex sentences for an assignment...so far we've just learned the basics, like "kore wa __ desu", etc...maybe impress the teacher or something..

Thanks, LiberLibri!

Old 2008-04-16, 17:15   Link #1512
Rembr

Impress teacher with other's effort? I should try that out.
Rembr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 17:24   Link #1513
richvh

I think all the "ha"s may clue the teacher in.
richvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 20:27   Link #1514
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by richvh View Post
Don't get it.

Do Japanese classes generally teach "ha" to be romanised "wa" when used as such?
(I've never taken a course, so I wouldn't know.)

The main reason I came here:
I see a lot of characters with "weak bodies" in fansubs of anime, referring to falling sick easily or having been sick a good deal of one's life and such. Some random examples: Yutaka of Lucky Star, Asa Shigure of Shuffle!, Nagisa of Clannad, etc.
I doubt that it would pop up that much and that literally, so is there an expression in Japanese for such an idea? (a person who is prone to falling ill and has done so many times in the past.)
qtipbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-16, 22:12   Link #1515
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Japanese classes (in the US at least) teach that the proper romaji for the subject particle is "wa" when written in romaji or spoken... BUT to use the "は” when actually writing in hiragana.

They also teach using the "o" particle in romaji and speaking but to use "を” when writing it.

And so on.... (and of course the Microsoft typing extension needs to be told "ha" or "wo" when typing "は” or ”を”  for proper display in hiragana).

As far as the "weak bodies" staple of anime.... I've never seen it categorized in an expression I can remember. It does seem endemic to the various stories though --- odd since it doesn't often appear in modern life. It makes more sense to me in settings prior to the 1970s, when healthcare was less standardized and tuberculosis or asthma was more common and less treatable.
Old 2008-04-16, 23:12   Link #1516
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtipbrit92 View Post
Don't get it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by richvh View Post
Using "ha" instead of "wa" is an extremely common romanization mistake among Japanese natives. When you see "ha" in karaoke fansubs, it's a good indication that the translator is a native Japanese, or at least learned in Japan. It's very rare that someone learning Japanese would make that mistake, especially since Theowne apparently hasn't even gotten to hiragana yet, and shouldn't know the ha/wa distinction.
Old 2008-04-16, 23:27   Link #1517
Asamidori
ボカロ廃

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripperazn View Post
When you see "ha" in karaoke fansubs, it's a good indication that the translator is a native Japanese, or at least learned in Japan.
Or someone that constantly types Japanese. (Read: Me. =\ God-knows-how-many-times I've written "wa" as "ha" by now and have to go back to fix it afterward...)
Asamidori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-17, 05:55   Link #1518
LiberLibri
(`◉◞౪◟◉´)

Oh, I believed it was a greeting message of a visiting student to Japanese friends or something like that Japanese natives, including me, are so familiar with the "ha" ⇔ "は" conversion that "wa" is often confusing.

If it is for a Japanese language class assignment, "wa" is preferable, as others told.

As for the "weak body", the most appropriate word is "病弱 byou-jaku". The character type is a palody of classic Japanese literature in early 20C. In those days, authors got influenced by Thomas Mann and loved to write stories of which stages are Sanatria. The main characters are usually "weak body" persons who are obsessed with such abstract thoughts as their own death, the meaning of life, the destiny of the world and so on. The combination of desease-tragic-introspective-daydreaming implies to readers the atmosphere of old dramas and provokes a retrospective smile.
Old 2008-04-28, 18:06   Link #1519
Theowne
耳をすませば

How do you write "therefore" type sentences? Or "because"?

Like, "Because I like Japanese music and films, I decided to learn Japanese"

or "I liked all fruit, therefore I like oranges"?

So how would you connect those two thoughts.

Quote:
Impress teacher with other's effort? I should try that out.
The teacher obviously knows that it wasn't my effort since she hasn't taught it yet. That wasn't quite what I meant.

Last edited by Theowne; 2008-04-28 at 19:18.
Old 2008-04-28, 19:23   Link #1520
LiberLibri
(`◉◞౪◟◉´)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
How do you write "therefore" type sentences? Or "because"?
There are many conjunctive expressions. Basically, you say as followings:

A, because B: A, nazenara B. [B is the reason for A]
A, therefore B: A, dakara B. [A is the reason for B]

Tags
hiragana