We're Back

Gotta clear dem stocks

Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-12, 07:52   Link #2382
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Not entirely related, but let's see if I get into Titanfall Beta. :/

I'm not expecting it though, since I didn't tick 'share your details with EA partners.'

I still have Origin from my more innocent days of expecting Mass Effect 3 to be the greatest game ever. Blah. At least it's got its uses for this.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-12, 08:45   Link #2383
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

^
Have you seen Titanfall...'s beta trailer :3 ?
Old 2014-02-12, 08:59   Link #2384
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

If there's one thing to be praised of Titanfall, it's that it's so easy to make a great trailer of it.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2014-02-12, 16:06   Link #2385
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
If there's one thing to be praised of Titanfall, it's that it's so easy to make a great trailer of it.
It's mech. Mechs always look cool! Here's a HAWKEN patch trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWI-koEbK9k; the most boring information ever, with nice-trailer bits just because mechs always look cool. Wait for the details on the implementation and it to be proven right, because if there's any trend nobody really sticks the finger at enough, like people stick the finger on crowdfunding, or shady business, it's promising CONCEPT to good-but-not-good-enough IMPLEMENTATION (not that bad-implementations don't exist). SimCity, Guild Wars, The Old Republic, and so on are all games who were a lot bigger in concept then implementation ("its the power of the poof poof in the sky", "the world reacts to you! yeah!!", "totally unique experience" and so on).

I'm sorry to say but more often then not either the trailer stuff is the stuff you'll never touch, or its stuff you'll never see from that perspective unless you're watching a match as a spectator and even then even games like dota 2 dont have systems good enough to give you a experience similar to what you might see in a trailer.

If it ever gets a demo, play it. If it doesn't, don't base your opinion on the trailers. Otherwise just watch something like a stream to get a pretty informed opinion on what it is you're actually buying.
Old 2014-02-12, 16:21   Link #2386
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
If it ever gets a demo, play it. If it doesn't, don't base your opinion on the trailers. Otherwise just watch something like a stream to get a pretty informed opinion on what it is you're actually buying.
On that note, here's Giant Bomb's one hour video of their playthrough of Titanfall's beta.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/unfi...014/2300-8489/

Probably would want to skip to 10-15 minutes, the first part is the tutorial.
Old 2014-02-12, 18:36   Link #2387
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

While i'm pretty interested in playing Titanfall, I'm gonna wait till the after release reviews. EA's recent track record have been shit and i'm too jaded by now to fall into the hype marketing machinery.

Also, Pre-orders are stupid in the digital download age.
Old 2014-02-12, 19:09   Link #2388
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

lol reviews.

Titanfall will get 10/10 so fun so wow so revolutionary from most sites. There'll be a small group of those with vocal criticism of something, and these opinions will eventually be seen as the unadmitted truth once reviewers get over their hype train.

Old 2014-02-12, 20:08   Link #2389
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

Quote:
lol reviews.

Titanfall will get 10/10 so fun so wow so revolutionary from most sites. There'll be a small group of those with vocal criticism of something, and these opinions will eventually be seen as the unadmitted truth once reviewers get over their hype train.
Pretty much this.
Old 2014-02-12, 23:43   Link #2390
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

So how much weaker is XBO compared to PS4?
Old 2014-02-12, 23:52   Link #2391
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
They still going to sit @ gamestops anyway until they are paid off.... not going to clear out any room and this is a silly thing to try and make fun of.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-13, 01:55   Link #2392
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
lol reviews.

I manage to avoid BF4 and Sim City based on post release reviews even if they manage to score highly on most websites. If there's a big enough problem with a game, the internet will come out and tell it.
Old 2014-02-13, 01:57   Link #2393
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
lol reviews.

Hey I've seen advertisements on gaming sites where Titanfall was the winner of 80 awards... A game that hasn't even been released yet... And yes, I know that they're probably referring to the E3 show awards but it's still pretty stupid.

I agree with your forecast, but I suspect process would speed up a lot fast because EA games always screws up somewhere, case in point- Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3, Sim City, Battlefield 4 etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
So how much weaker is XBO compared to PS4?
30% ?
Old 2014-02-13, 12:02   Link #2394
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Reviews are normally meant to provide you with an informed opinion on a product; "review" has come to bear the meaning of "something written by a journalist" but its essentially just "in-depth look at a subject presenting the things that ARENT OBVIOUS." And to be clear claiming "I'm not a reviewer" does not exclude you from being one when you write review-like content since being a "reviewer" is not a title, it's a description; there are such things as shorter reviews but if your content is claiming to be a short-review of some sort yet is something like 40min to an hour video or some shoddy one page "blog post" with barely relevant screenshots, then that is not "something different that's not a review" that's just a dumb review, especially if it's your final word on it (here's looking at you half-assed "first look" reviews that claim they have some right to be as poor as they are because it's only 15min; as if there is a direct correlation between depth of subjects covered by a review and the time spent). There are exceptions, but unless its designed to be humorous at some level then it's probably not an exception; and I strongly recommend people don't fall for the whole buddy-buddy syndrome on the internet and waste their time on awful "first impressions" and some other similar nonsense that aside from claiming the obvious when the obvious is in your face are more then likely to just make you lose both your money and your time.

Here's an example of how a proper review looks like, albeit hardware review in this case: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7720/a...gryphon-review (its not intuitive, but that's page 1 of 8 of the review). There's this misconception in the gaming review scene that "you can't review a game." Like hell you can't! What they really mean is "nobody is putting the effort to properly review the games so we have nobody to copy from." Also it is very clear that due to some unknown idiocy with gaming journalists of obsessing over "a number" as a foot note expressing an opinion dating from way before internet game reviews were the thing and you only had gaming magazines (purchased mostly by very young people), we now live in a world where the content is all about the number. The number was there because the 10 year-olds that would also purchase the gaming magazines would need something to read aside from the title and whatever was on the pretty pictures (because 10-year-olds don't really have the attention span necessary to get any "point" across, otherwise). Essentially, unless you're a 10-year-old you shouldn't pay attention to "reviews" that are just dressing up a number; number which is itself just a random number between 7 and 10 (yes review sites give 10 like its nothing, deal with it) at this point due to the interactivity of the world, compared to the wild waste of gaming magazines of old.

Getting back to the "games cant be reviewed" argument, a game review among other things can contain the following:
Spoiler for semi-long list (not an exhaustive list by any means):

Okey so that's what it could be reviewed on. Here's what the depth of game reviews usually boils down to: "Hey [insert personal life problems/events] so I was playing this game [insert round about way of saying/excusing "not properly," couldn't figure out how to play it properly and played it for really short time] and my feelings on it are 9/10, I was kind of 7 but after like-getting-wowed-and-seeing-awesome-stuff my 'opinion' changed to a 9." It's sad but that's the depth and breath of gaming journalism these days.

So please, for the sake of moving the human race forward don't give attention to game reviews!

If you really want to read reviews then at least go use something like steam and find the reviews for the game in their listings where the people who wrote it have (a) the game's completion length and then some (b) at least 5h, because those are bad too, but at least those people have some right to a half baked opinion after paying for it, and playing it a large amount of time. Obviously if there are none there that meet the criteria, just assume the game is garbage and be done with it. For all intents and purposes journalists, which are people that don't necessarily have a interest in something but still talk about it, have a 50/50 chance to bullshit you with totally idealistic nonsense you won't give a damn—they're actually more useful for people watching other people play due to the aspects they tend to cover then actually people looking for a fun game to play.
Old 2014-02-13, 12:46   Link #2395
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Hmm i thought i was the cynical one on the forum but jeez, you guys are terrible. Here's the problem with user reviews, it's unreliable. Everyone have difference in preference when it comes to gaming. Some folks will prioritize gameplay over aesthetic and vice versa and it's hard to established that without digging through the user's prior reviews. They are great supplementary materials but by no means should anyone go by user reviews alone.

Anyway, it's going offtopic. There's tons and tons of materials online these days for anyone to research up and formulate their own opinion and videogames at the end of the day is like movies and musics. It's very much about finding the right game that appeals to your personal taste and not a product that can be simply summarized with numerical scoring.
Old 2014-02-13, 14:38   Link #2396
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
Hmm i thought i was the cynical one on the forum but jeez, you guys are terrible. Here's the problem with user reviews, it's unreliable. Everyone have difference in preference when it comes to gaming. Some folks will prioritize gameplay over aesthetic and vice versa and it's hard to established that without digging through the user's prior reviews. They are great supplementary materials but by no means should anyone go by user reviews alone.
Just so you know the whole "you can understand this review better because you know my likes and dislikes" is nothing but a sham done by most reviewers (more notably and shamelessly in video) to get you to give their content more legitimacy then it ever deserves from their poor presentation and of course to get you "subscribed" (figuratively speaking) to their conten. It's essentially "Hey you know me! c'mon sure you do! So you can trust me on this and you just have to follow me by reading/watching all my stuff to get the best experience. Don't worry you can trust a friend right!" ie. food for the gullible weak minded netizens (out of which there are plenty), particularly effective the younger you are since you're more easily duped into some fake sense of friendship by simply them saying that their your friend (reverse psychology also works here; ie. "I'm not your friend I just [insert something]") over and over with different wording.

If you actually fall for that then sorry but the hard truth is all of them including something like youtube figures have a "persona," you never really "know them" you just know their persona, and this persona is always their business persona which means they won't ever be too negative (unless it suits their persona, in which case they'll very likely be overly unrealistically negative) or when they're positive they'll have some fake positivity, or otherwise they'll just have some filler to keep you occupied with their content. So, if you even believe such a barely scientific way of psycho-analysis-prediction exists and you are "magically" doing it, just because they told you are, In addition, while it's true that you can do some form of basic prediction based on certain characteristic, they're generally no more complex then "this person doesn't like multiplayer" and "this person only likes fps'es" and so on, which to be frank (aside from in the context of a reviewer/content-producer being potentially fake to begin with for the sake of building an image) they're also pretty useless since as far as comparing A to B that have subtle traits between them you know nothing. But wait it gets better, since it's in their best interest to only put out content of "good quality" (whatever that is in context of their distribution system) they'll very likely either only touch on the positive example and only a few negative ones that as people say "make the news" or vice versa.

(of course the shorter version if we're talking review sites is that the reviews are not all written by a single person, and even the same review is edited by multiple people—so you get no persistence to begin with)

I don't put much worth in something like steam reviews (and just for the record unless I have a metric of how much they've played, and that they own that which they are blabering about, user reviews are absolute garbage) IMHO the opinion of 30 people albeit how good or bad or unfocused it might be is much better then that of a "professional reviewer," if nothing else those people have no reason whatsoever to hold back and no professional/writing agenda to keep some things hidden because of petty reasons such as not sounding fancy enough.
Old 2014-02-13, 20:18   Link #2397
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
J
I don't put much worth in something like steam reviews (and just for the record unless I have a metric of how much they've played, and that they own that which they are blabering about, user reviews are absolute garbage) IMHO the opinion of 30 people albeit how good or bad or unfocused it might be is much better then that of a "professional reviewer," if nothing else those people have no reason whatsoever to hold back and no professional/writing agenda to keep some things hidden because of petty reasons such as not sounding fancy enough.
There's no unbiased opinions. People who tells you that are lying to you and themselves. This is why i recommend against basing your opinion solely on user reviews because you rarely know what's the user bias are and that makes it difficult to separate personal bias from facts. Especially when it comes to medium that are very subjective based, there's always a personal bias in it even if there's no ulterior motive behind it. That's why people read multiple sources on a single subject. This applies not just to game reviews but almost everything in the world.

Anyway, as i said, there's plenty of materials out there. It's up to people whether they want to take the effort to read and research it to formulate their own opinion with their own judgement or rely on a few people to make that judgement for them.
Old 2014-02-14, 04:56   Link #2398
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
There's no unbiased opinions. People who tells you that are lying to you and themselves. This is why i recommend against basing your opinion solely on user reviews because you rarely know what's the user bias are and that makes it difficult to separate personal bias from facts. Especially when it comes to medium that are very subjective based, there's always a personal bias in it even if there's no ulterior motive behind it. That's why people read multiple sources on a single subject. This applies not just to game reviews but almost everything in the world.
It's kind of hard for EVERYONE in a group of people with little in common and not much interference to have the same bias and sometimes it might be something you yourself are biased towards so it's not necessarily even bad, it's not like you're reading "good" or "bad" either so you can make a rough assessment on it. When I said you can read 30, I didn't mean it as combine the wording in 30, but as intersect the so called "facts" presented until you get to a reasonable "truth" with high probability.
Old 2014-02-21, 07:02   Link #2399
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Microsoft invents... the remote

http://news.xbox.com/2014/02/xbox-one-media-remote
Old 2014-02-21, 07:17   Link #2400
GDB

I thought the entire point of the bone was that you didn't need a remote or a controller?
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote