AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

View Poll Results: Hyouka - Episode 22 [END] Rating
Perfect 10 86 57.33%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 39 26.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 8.67%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 3.33%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 2.67%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 1.33%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.67%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-09-16, 20:30   Link #21
trinitem
Dedicated Lurker

Endings usually kill series for me. This one had me satisfied though. The shipper in me wanted some explicit coupling.
Old 2012-09-16, 20:36   Link #22
mistress_kisara

Its hard to say goodbye to a series like this hopefully there would be at least an extra episode in the BDs (not counting 11.5) :P
Old 2012-09-16, 20:40   Link #23
Aquifina

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinitem View Post
Endings usually kill series for me. This one had me satisfied though. The shipper in me wanted some explicit coupling.
Yowzers. I knew a true confession wouldn't come, but was still just a bit disappointed--but this ending fulfills the spirit of the story. It'd be unreasonable to think Oreki has come that far--he's still just a high school student, after all--but it's clearly telegraphed where he's going by the wonderfully evocative ending, and him seeing his whole philosophy of energy conservation fall to pieces. He knows how he'll confess; he just has to gain the self-confidence to say it, and I think it's clear that'll happen. And there was even a little more understanding on his part of Satoshi--while still handling the issue far better than Satoshi did. Some closure with the empress, also...

Chitanda also saw her character rounded out in a wonderful way--a princess, indeed.
Old 2012-09-16, 20:45   Link #24
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistress_kisara View Post
Its hard to say goodbye to a series like this hopefully there would be at least an extra episode in the BDs (not counting 11.5) :P
Listings have come out. There is no other OVA besides 11.5.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2012-09-16, 20:58   Link #25
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

I know most people aren't going to agree with me, but I liked how this series left the relationships up in the air. I prefer a series creating plot holes or leaving things hanging rather than them trying to cover up everything at once.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Old 2012-09-16, 21:04   Link #26
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

What a great last episode. I like how it's actually an ending with the pacing and the mood of an ending. We finally get to see the culmination of the group's development through the rest of the series.
Old 2012-09-16, 21:18   Link #27
Humble Loser
Spineless Main Character

10/10

Oreki is feeling the power of change - paralyzing like extreme gravity. That flashback to Satoshi let Oreki empathize more with the fear that comes from such power - a type of change that cuts through your life and character. Perhaps that is why people so passionately erect the barriers they do. In doing so, they can avoid change and remain in the status quo. Staying in the comfort bubble, the reality so painstakingly created to be easy, perfect, predictable.

Chitanda is more than meets the eye. You can tell she has thought about her life beyond high school and how she has the pressure of a noble. From cradle to grave, she's always going to seek to live up to a high name.

Encore, encore. Do you want more? Yes, I do.

Last edited by Humble Loser; 2012-09-16 at 21:31.
Old 2012-09-16, 21:22   Link #28
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

I'm very glad to see people enjoyed the finale. It's not perfect, but it's kinda bittersweet in a sense. An ending surrounded by sakura can never go wrong anyways.

It's sad to see this series end, especially when it once again hit a high point with EP21. Really fun series, will give it another watch much later for sure.
Old 2012-09-16, 21:28   Link #29
Texas84
よろしく

Bravo. Beautiful ending. Sure hope we get more.
Old 2012-09-16, 21:34   Link #30
RegalStar
Mishaguji-sama

Extremely satisfying ending to an extremely satisfying show.
Old 2012-09-16, 21:37   Link #31
Qilin
Romanticist

This episode really captures some of the things that I love best about Japanese culture.

The subtlety of the execution of the growing romance is particularly noteworthy. The development is often expressed through nothing more than minor visual cues, along with some beautiful scenery. Using nature as a medium for storytelling is nothing new in Japanese animation, but this episode really exemplifies it with the cherry blossoms and countryside landscape. Still, I imagine that none of this would have happened if the construction of the bridge was somehow delayed. Not to mention that the scenery just wouldn't look as stunning. That's something to think about, wouldn't anyone agree?

And of course, this episode outright confirms the similarities between Houtarou and Satoshi, which goes to show that they face surprisingly similar dilemmas even if they live in entirely different worlds.

Come to think of it, a few of these recent episodes has Houtarou slowly being introduced into Eru's personal world. From now on, I believe that the only way he can penetrate that foreign world is by abandoning his "energy-conservation" lifestyle. The history of the two villages really serves as a fitting analogy for the precarious state of their relationship.

Now, this is the last episode of this wonderful series, and I feel sad that I have to part with it. But I still believe that this open ending holds a kind of unspoken beauty in itself. I'm definitely open for more, but I'm not dissatisfied with this ending by itself.

Last edited by Qilin; 2012-09-16 at 22:23.
Old 2012-09-16, 21:56   Link #32
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Just wow that would have been quite the line for Houtarou to actually deliver. I was outright shocked before it ended up being more in his head than said out loud. But think that would be a bit much for Houtarou to pull out with such perfect timing. Not like he needs to say it now, just has to keep moving ahead and build up the confidence.

Think Houtarou would be pretty well off taking on that business side of things. Solving mysteries might sound like an occupation, but in the end solving Chitanda's mysteries have usually been the priority .

Just a beautiful episode. The moment Chitanda stepped out you could see Houtarou's energy conservation getting shattered . He was just literally mesmerized the entire time until Satoshi's call snapped him out of it. His feelings have just been more and more confirmed as this last arc has gone on. There's no doubt he'll end up with Chitanda and will eventually say how he feels.

This whole time you've seen it from Chitanda as she showed just what he'd be getting involved in. She's not just one person, but part of a huge world there. It was rather shocking to have her so controlled behind that sheet. She was really in 'family mode' there. It's been something special just watching her express her feelings while introducing him to her world.

Everything isn't settled with the pairs, but it's looking promising. Satoshi is going to figure himself out and Mayaka will be waiting for that. She even appreciated Houtarou getting angry during that Valentine incident. Think that friendship will be just fine.

Just a really nice episode. The potential for the future's of these characters looks good.
Old 2012-09-16, 22:02   Link #33
rulfo

I never thought I'd ever use these again but...

First it was like
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
when some found out it was a damn daydream.

Then again everything played out well and it hits them
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

That subtle touch to the ending was still a nice closure. Would've wished for a concrete one but if that's what the material has then this most likely has a good chance being set for another season.

I'm quite surprised if Houtarou would ever say that. Those words were too big considering his nature. Being the head of a business?

Well he is a very perceptive person anyway and which gives him better outlook at things that otherwise may have passed under the noses of everyone. Still he isn't at that point yet so this is a more realistic conclusion.

Another interesting thing is that it seems he has come to terms with Irisu. She even got the chance to explain herself in a way. That's that then.

Again 10/10. Really loved this ending. Will miss this series so bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Just wow that would have been quite the line for Houtarou to actually deliver. I was outright shocked before it ended up being more in his head than said out loud. But think that would be a bit much for Houtarou to pull out with such perfect timing. Not like he needs to say it now, just has to keep moving ahead and build up the confidence.

The shipper in me has probably deluded me but I dunno.. For me that would definitely seem like a marriage proposal.
Old 2012-09-16, 22:08   Link #34
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulfo View Post
The shipper in me has probably deluded me but I dunno.. For me that would definitely seem like a marriage proposal.
No, I think that's exactly how it would be both taken and intended. The funny thing is that, in Houtarou's delusion, he sees her shocked, but he's too insecure to know what her reaction would be (which is why he snaps out of it right then). If he knew that, then it wouldn't have had to be just a daydream. But one step at a time...
Old 2012-09-16, 22:14   Link #35
TimeSkip

It's a beautiful ending. I'm going to miss this show.

We didn't get to see Tomoe's face at all, did we? Kyoani must have saved a lot of money from that. ha ha
Old 2012-09-16, 22:20   Link #36
eduard3

Every season I give most of the animes a try, I have to admit that this anime has to be the must watch of the season if you are into this genre of anime.

I'm not sure of they meant it this way but, the story of the two villages remind me of Oreki and Chitanda's current situation. Oreki being the southern part, refused outside influences and clings to his own beliefs(Land and Water) and fought with the people outside of his own world. Soon Oreki just settled down and stuck to his belief (Energy conservation) but still refused outside influences. This was problematic for people who tried to approach him and no one knew what to do (Just like when it was suggested to go through the bridge in the south). But just like in the case of the two villages, Chitanda is able to breach the barrier between the two villages, she is able to connect Oreki(southern) to outside of his own world (Northern) and put them in peace.

I got so annoyed at the last part xD, I wish it wasn't just in his head...

GREAT anime, one I was eagerly awaiting every week and it's sad to see it go.
Old 2012-09-16, 22:29   Link #37
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
No, I think that's exactly how it would be both taken and intended. The funny thing is that, in Houtarou's delusion, he sees her shocked, but he's too insecure to know what her reaction would be (which is why he snaps out of it right then). If he knew that, then it wouldn't have had to be just a daydream. But one step at a time...
He should save that line for when he does really propose . It was that good . But that was the key message, just one step at a time.

Damn now I'll have to rewatch this soon. It was just an enjoyable journey from start to finish. Seeing Houtarou from the start right after this episode should be something .
Old 2012-09-16, 22:30   Link #38
zRichard

Oreki couldn't speak those words because he could not guarantee that he would be the best guy for that job. He doesn't even know what he's good at yet and, his life motto was being destroyed. He now understood that he was the same as his best friend. So he swallowed those words out of fear, the commitment felt too big for him.

Now, Eru said that her place was not the most beautiful nor had the best potential, but she wanted to show it to Oreki anyway.

I'm sure we could reword this as. "This is not the best place, but I want you to know that this is where I am and where I'll be". This is something similar to what was killing Satoshi from inside but with the difference that Chitanda already knows what will be waiting for her in the future.

She already has her future set in stone, and it wasn't the best. And she was being apologetic about it. So, I think she's as afraid as Oreki, and Satoshi about her own feelings. She admires Oreki and doesn't want to chain him to a girl who's chained to such boring place.

And this is when KyoAni displayed why they are one of the best animation studio in the world.

When the wind blew the rare cherry tree's leaves, that place transformed. It became, just for a moment, the most beautiful and the one that had the best potential of them all. Exactly as Oreki imagined it a few seconds ago. The place suddenly became the most perfect there was for the two of them.

A very satisfying ending. True to Hyouka's style and heart. I'll never forget this show.
Now, we wait for that movie announcement.
Old 2012-09-16, 22:32   Link #39
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
Listings have come out. There is no other OVA besides 11.5.
Wait, I thought there was supposed to be a bonus episode in January...
Old 2012-09-16, 22:44   Link #40
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Wait, I thought there was supposed to be a bonus episode in January...
That is the episode which comes with the third volume of the manga in January. It was streamed so people would know what it contained and would be tempted to pre-order it. Reservations at bookstores end later this month.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Closed Thread