AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-09-13, 22:24   Link #1
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

MMODating

I just read an article (on October's issue of PCGamer) on the issue of MMODating. I've took the liberty of scanning the article.

Because computer gamers and geeks and whatnot, have poor social life or socials skills to meet women. So an online mate matcher is created to help computer gamers meet their love, at the comfort of their computer desktop. Basically this is personal ads online, but caters more towards computer gamers. You go to MMODating's and browse for your soul mate. And it's not just finding your love, you can find different kinds of friendship as well. Some of the personal ads are quite hilarious:

Random guy #1: “...Nothing turns me on more than a girl who could
type 1337 in her sleep, and speaks in hex in her dreams....”

Random guy #2: "...Also she would have to deal
with my animal noises i tend to make during gaming,
frequent love sessions, and while cooking..."

Heh heh heh...Anyways, I think this is quite useful for "socially challenged" people (gamers) who just wants some companionship. But the idea of finding your love online seems like of awkward to me. Can I really know all I need to know about a person through computer text and gaming? If couple is going out in cyberspace, are they going out in real life? This doesn't have to apply to just MMODating, but Online Dating in general. Maybe something is lost when you're having relationship online, like the presence of a person, their touch, feel, taste and smell. I don't know, I think I still prefer of going out the old fashioned way of actually having a girl physically next to me, rather than through the monitor . Well, your thoughts? Would you do it? Why or why not?
Muir Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-13, 22:57   Link #2
vl86

I seriously would have never thought of anyone being so gaming obsessed to actually resort to this kinda thing..

I mean I love games as much as the next guy, sometimes playing warcraft III. or diablo 2 for like 4-6 hours straight if im really bored and i don't have school.

But seriously sitting in front of the computer all day hurts the freakin eyes and gets really boring really fast.
vl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-13, 23:18   Link #3
Thelastguardian

Some interesting "facts" about MMORs(Mostly from Computer Games)

1. A Korean player died at a internet cafe's washroom by exhaustion after 84 hours of none stop playing, didn't eat/drink, and only moved his hands. Similar event happened in Tawain with 32 hours straight.

2. Multiple incidents happened in Korea where online player found the other player in real life and beat him up. Also call Offline PKing .

3. Some of the most popular MMOR games (Lineage II, RO, GB) had it's server system leaked out to the internet through various methods (system hacking, region server leak etc). Therefore anyone who has the skills to find the files and the ability to turn on a computer has the ability to host any of such servers. Also call private server for obvious reason.

4. MMOR. games had been link to addiction similar to gambling. Apparently a porpotion of the population can not withstand the tempation of "pull the string get a candy" effect seen on animals (monkey). They become addicted to the games, leading to
a. devoice
b. online affair (...)
c. death of their child due to negelection (left them in the car etc.)
d. lose job/degree/
e. road to bankrupcy and god knows what else

5. Most game companies releases online beta (incomplete) games in hope that the players would withstand them. Imagine buying a car with no windows, half the engine non-functioning, and the tires has different sizes. Examples being Might & Magic IX , RO, Star Wars Galaxy.

Sorry I don't have the magazine at hand, and my memorization does not fair well with this kind of data .
Old 2004-09-13, 23:27   Link #4
Grona
Big Damit!

That poop is scarry Not too suprised by the Offline PKing, seen alot of forum spats go that way, although short of killing.
I played alot of RO, and I have seen the hardcore people that just go 24/7... and it was still incomplete! Not to mention the wipes because it was still in testing (even though you had to pay). You would be talking to people 5 days after the wipe and they were already 99, you'd ask how and they would say they skipped school or called in sick to work since the server came up
Grona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-14, 00:20   Link #5
generalmx
Shoujo Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to generalmx Send a message via AIM to generalmx Send a message via MSN to generalmx
Hi, new guy again.

MMODating is mostly for men trying to shoot at the dream of getting a girl who'd rather have her dates in the Dungeon of Nasties fighting Blarmasets. Actually, there is a good population of women in MMORPGs, and they tend to favour roleplaying over standard gameplay. Every couple I've met (and had semi-decent proof of their existance) on MMORPGs were roleplayers.

I'd stay away from any matchmaking that isn't face-to-face. You never really know what could be on the other end.
generalmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-14, 00:26   Link #6
Oneesama
本當に愛してるなら, "鰻食べる?”ってきかないで

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muir Woods
I just read an article (on October's issue of PCGamer) on the issue of MMODating. I've took the liberty of scanning the article.

Because computer gamers and geeks and whatnot, have poor social life or socials skills to meet women. So an online mate matcher is created to help computer gamers meet their love, at the comfort of their computer desktop. Basically this is personal ads online, but caters more towards computer gamers. You go to MMODating's and browse for your soul mate. And it's not just finding your love, you can find different kinds of friendship as well. Some of the personal ads are quite hilarious:

Random guy #1: “...Nothing turns me on more than a girl who could
type 1337 in her sleep, and speaks in hex in her dreams....”

Random guy #2: "...Also she would have to deal
with my animal noises i tend to make during gaming,
frequent love sessions, and while cooking..."

Heh heh heh...Anyways, I think this is quite useful for "socially challenged" people (gamers) who just wants some companionship. But the idea of finding your love online seems like of awkward to me. Can I really know all I need to know about a person through computer text and gaming? If couple is going out in cyberspace, are they going out in real life? This doesn't have to apply to just MMODating, but Online Dating in general. Maybe something is lost when you're having relationship online, like the presence of a person, their touch, feel, taste and smell. I don't know, I think I still prefer of going out the old fashioned way of actually having a girl physically next to me, rather than through the monitor . Well, your thoughts? Would you do it? Why or why not?
actually, it's very common now-a-days, to have a wed in games with fellow players and etc,
for example, RO (ragnarok) you can get marry as many times as you want and by marrying someone else, you get items and experience and etc, defends on the pack you have ^^;;

itz fun ^__^
Oneesama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-14, 00:50   Link #7
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Very interesting article. And I can testify too as an ex EQ player. People get married in game. Alot of them. ^^

I think it's really wonderful if you can get into relationship with someone in the internet, not relying on physical attraction at all. You get to know person directly, it just a matter of personalities and interests. Some were just doing it for the roleplay, but several couple I know become really serious and actually meet outside the game and get married for real.

Isn't love a mystery?

----------

Oh yes I forgot to mention the naughty side of this internet marriage. Some of these guys or girls might actually already married in real life. But because this is a roleplay, basically you're not actually cheating. Which actually quite attractive for alot of people. You know as long you're not get carried over and messed up your own real life marriage, it's ok to roleplay a little and have fun.

Naughty naughty people out there.

Last edited by Secca; 2004-09-14 at 01:19.
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-14, 00:58   Link #8
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Good old EQ was so fun back then when I was still playing. I remember that I attended two weddings and they were quite huge. It was quite fun actually because the couples were giving out rare items to people who played they're wedding games. Don't forget that have the female characters are actually played by guys too!
Old 2004-09-14, 02:34   Link #9
Baba
Grouky Freak

Send a message via ICQ to Baba Send a message via MSN to Baba
I really don't find this shocking and not even surprising. I mean, true, the random posted adds are really something, but online dating in itself has been quite comon for years. I see ads for things such as yahoo personnals meetic or whatever all the time and these are more geared toward 30 yo company employees. Considering the size of these site I guess this must be working pretty well even for regular people.

I thus see these gamers ads sites as just another specific marketing ploy to aim at a smaller population with greater efficiency and the hope of stealing your concurrent's clients........

PS: this is probably fulll of mistakes, but I'm dead tired and don't want to proff read it, so my apologies for my lazyness....
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-14, 02:49   Link #10
Sanjuronord
セクシーなパイロット

Going to try and quote something I remember seeing on mirc years ago:
Quote:
Originally Posted by random person on mirc
"Geeky, unattractive male with an unhealthy addiction to japanese children's cartoons and online gaming, with a desire to take over the world seeks like-minded, yet attractive, female."
In other words, it'll never work to any serious degree. Of course, I have serious doubts about all forms of dating service; but that's just me.
Sanjuronord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-14, 07:57   Link #11
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
The guys who play datin sim might need some psychiatic help to cope with humanity hehehe
Yamano667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-14, 08:55   Link #12
Archuka
A territory most absolute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjuronord
In other words, it'll never work to any serious degree. Of course, I have serious doubts about all forms of dating service; but that's just me.
What? You mean there are no women like that? Damn!

The problem with gamers having trouble finding a girl friend probably lies in the fact that gamer girls are so rare. I don't believe in a relationship where you don't share some interests, and obviously what a true gamer is interested in is games. An online enviroment allows you to easily meet people with similar interests. I know a lot of gamer girls online, but I don't think I've ever met one in real life.
Archuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-14, 11:34   Link #13
generalmx
Shoujo Fanboy

Send a message via ICQ to generalmx Send a message via AIM to generalmx Send a message via MSN to generalmx
I've seen the darker side of MMORPG dating. I knew this one woman who had an abusive husband and wished to get out of the relationship. She met this guy through a MMORPG and the two fell in love and ran off together. This guy also happened to be a major (or minor, forget which) league baseball player. I know this guy was for real because the company which makes the MMORPG in question confirmed it in one of their advertisements.
generalmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-14, 11:43   Link #14
Kyolux

Send a message via MSN to Kyolux
I know a girl who plays videogames all day... Though... she's my onee-chan.. Well anyway, I've move on from gaming, I play every now and then, but really, I don't have the time, and I enjoy going out and watching anime the most.
Kyolux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-14, 13:06   Link #15
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamano667
The guys who play datin sim might need some psychiatic help to cope with humanity hehehe
That had best be a joke

Besides, I play dating sims all the time...my fiancee doesn't have any issues with it either...
Old 2004-09-14, 16:13   Link #16
Spiggy
Invisible

Send a message via AIM to Spiggy Send a message via Yahoo to Spiggy
When I first read that post I busted up laughing....then I checked it out. There's like 5 people in my state hehe. Well...I'm not going to say much about this since there are single christian, single wiccan, single african american, single "fill in the blank" sites out there. Even though nothing beats physical interaction I'm curious, so when is the one for anime coming out or is that why most of us go to cons?
Spiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-14, 20:53   Link #17
SiL Eighty
Lateral G's

Send a message via AIM to SiL Eighty
I can actually see a couple of my friends doing something like that. One of my friends never comes out of his house unless its for school or to help his mom go shopping for food.

I mean games are addicting but i cant phathom people having to resort to this since they can only express themselves in 1337 sp34|<
SiL Eighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-14, 21:07   Link #18
MikoKikyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjuronord
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRC guy
"Geeky, unattractive male with an unhealthy addiction to japanese children's cartoons and online gaming, with a desire to take over the world seeks like-minded, yet attractive, female."
Aaah!

This is the guy I want!! XD
MikoKikyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-14, 21:26   Link #19
ramune

This is the very reason I'm not touching my copy of FFXI that's sitting on top of my desk right now (got it for free from a friend). I know this game can be very addicting.

Even though MMORPG is fun, too much of anything is never healthy.

P.S. dating sims are cool.
ramune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-14, 21:40   Link #20
StoneColdCrazy
Noumenon

Send a message via ICQ to StoneColdCrazy Send a message via MSN to StoneColdCrazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muir Woods
Can I really know all I need to know about a person through computer text and gaming?
Depends what you need to know. Can you really know all those things about a person through real life? How many times have you lied and been lied to? People playing games on the internet are a cross section of the people we meet anywhere else in our lives - out shopping, at the arcade, at school, at work, pumping gas or presenting the news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastguardian
Some interesting "facts" about MMORs(Mostly from Computer Games)
Don't forget the guy who brought a gun to a Counter-Strike LAN tournament to shoot his online nemesis (although I can't find a link to that right now).

Among many people there seems to be a fear that some kind of special class of super-nerd people have sprung up to exist solely on the internet and that there's no way you'll run into anyone like this in real life. Whoever/whatever you interpret these super-nerds to be they're just as active and (in)visible in daily life as they are online. Sure, there are sick, weird or socially inept people online but there are everywhere else too. There are just as many decent, friendly, honest and trustworthy people on the net as not on it.

(Anyway, I much prefer readily identifiable weirdos to all those people you meet who appear normal and socially adjusted, and then you get to know them and, six months down the line, find out they're a fascist, anti-semetic or believe you're a lesser being for not following their religion).

I'm all for anything that matches up people of similar interest and disposition. But then, hey, I like old films, computer games, philosophy and anime. The girls I meet like to veg out and watch TV, get drunk every night and find shopping and mobile phones stimulating. I don't even necessarily want to share an interest, I'd just like them to be a little different or passionate about what they do, be it archaeology, architecture or anthropology. Gamers are often passionate people.

SCC
StoneColdCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote