AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

View Poll Results: Should the British Remain or Leave the EU.
Remain 24 55.81%
Leave 19 44.19%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-07-07, 07:10   Link #421
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
So what exactly is that graph telling me?
I think it's showing that In UK people identify with their nationality over European status & many of them don't see the European status as part of their identity at much higher rate than many other EU nations.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-07, 11:33   Link #422
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Basically that the majority of people in the UK think of themselves as British, English, Scottish, Welsh, or Irish (northern of course) and not as Europeans. Some think of themselves as both, but few think of themselves as Europeans rather than British.

If there is any nationality in the world that has about as much pride as the Americans, it would be the British. They did have the largest Empire on the planet, and have not been successfully invaded since 1066.
Old 2016-07-11, 07:47   Link #423
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Well, it came to be. Theresa May will be the next Prime Minister of the United ha Kingdom.

I sort of seen it coming, since it was her and Johnson who had their designs on the job for decades now. I even recall way back when I was in high school and people were already talking like her being PM was just a shoe drop away. Guess the other shoe did drop and now I'm stuck in a V for Vendetta prequel I never wanted to be part of.

I'll miss having human rights, that's for sure.
Old 2016-07-11, 09:46   Link #424
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

So May said that she wouldn't trigger Article 50 this year?

Talk about dragging things out. UK is going to be suffer even more. Uncertainty in the worst possible way.
Old 2016-07-11, 10:15   Link #425
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Of course she wouldn't trigger article 50 anytime soon, she sided with Cameron (weakly, but ultimately she was with remain). Many will forget that, because they just want *someone* to take charge, and also because they understand how destructive an outright full withdrawal from the EU will cause, most of it on the UK.

Her end goal is trying to draw it out as much as possible, making the leave voters see how bad things had gotten and would possibly get once we are out of the EU, then settle for a Norway style deal. Then she can get to work on trying to get the UK to withdraw from the European Convention on Human Rights and install further surveillance on the populace.

It's terrible for the UK, but slightly more than half the country voted to worsen our condition willingly. There's more suffering in the near and far future, sadly.

I do like how the Leave leaders with any sense had, essentially, washed their hands out of trying to take charge of this ship they made.

I'll give this to May at least, she is probably the only person capable (and willing) to drive things along, but I think she had always been prepared to be hated once she got to be PM.
Old 2016-07-13, 06:49   Link #426
Brother Coa
Banned

Brexit will happen but in 2022.

Can someone explain to me what implications will this have on both UK and EU economies if it takes this long?
Brother Coa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-13, 06:57   Link #427
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Coa View Post

Can someone explain to me what implications will this have on both UK and EU economies if it takes this long?
Realistically, if it takes this long then it's nearly certain that we would have an entirely unrelated economic crisis that would end up taking up priority. And Brexit would end up resolved when no one cared about it anymore. People can't hold their attention that long, and we wouldn't even know who would be in charge of the UK OR the EU by then.
Old 2016-07-13, 07:25   Link #428
Homura7

Translation: Brexit will never happen.
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-13, 07:31   Link #429
Brother Coa
Banned

It will. Both EU leadership ( especially Tusk, Junker and Angela ) and new British prime minister confirmed it.

Problem is that EU has no regulation for a member that is leaving the union. This is all new ground so they are taking their time. Why is it lasting this long - 2 years of negotiations with the EU and 4 more years until all 27 members states governments pass the bill to allow British to exit.

I mean, how can it not happened when European Parliament started holding discussions without British representatives?
Old 2016-07-13, 07:36   Link #430
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Well regardless of whatever happens, the damage that the UK did to its economy has made this entire argument completely worthless. i.e. Brexit referendum was NOT worth it.
Old 2016-07-13, 16:02   Link #431
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Coa View Post

"Negotiations for Britain's exit can only start once Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty is triggered. This process will take two years but agreeing future treaties could take an additional four years." <- What this actually means is that Brexit will take two years, after which - in the assumption that the 27 and the UK fail to reach an agreement - the UK will be nothing more than another member of the WTO, and will spend 4 more years trying to claw its way back up to some kind of favored status.

And the EU has regulations for members leaving. It's called the Article 50. What it doesn't have is provisions for kicking members out. Which is why part of me will believe the UK will trigger the Article 50 when they actually do so, not before.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-13, 16:08   Link #432
James Rye

Heh, Boris as foreign minister, the articles about him gonna be fun in the future.
Old 2016-07-13, 23:20   Link #433
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Boris as the Foreign minister....
That will not please most European ministers.
Old 2016-07-13, 23:33   Link #434
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Boris being foreign affairs minister... that's your "Jesus wept" moment of the month.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-13, 23:35   Link #435
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
"Negotiations for Britain's exit can only start once Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty is triggered. This process will take two years but agreeing future treaties could take an additional four years." <- What this actually means is that Brexit will take two years, after which - in the assumption that the 27 and the UK fail to reach an agreement - the UK will be nothing more than another member of the WTO, and will spend 4 more years trying to claw its way back up to some kind of favored status.

And the EU has regulations for members leaving. It's called the Article 50. What it doesn't have is provisions for kicking members out. Which is why part of me will believe the UK will trigger the Article 50 when they actually do so, not before.
IIRC article 50 say that, the exiting party can have up to 2 years time to negotiate deals with the EU before leaving. Extensions are possible if the EU members agrees to this. However it also means if after 2 years are pass and if the EU members say that they are not happy with any of the proposals of the exiting member, then the exiting party will be automatically kicked out. On the other hand if talks are going well and they find common ground earlier on, the exiting party could leave before the 2 years.
2 years are just the timelimit for the exiting member to work out deals, if it wants to, with the EU. If it doesn't, they can exit straight away.

Boris as foreign minister. Cannot wait to see him parachuting into russia, china, aso to promote london... i mean england, but in reality it is just london.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-14, 01:00   Link #436
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
IIRC article 50 say that, the exiting party can have up to 2 years time to negotiate deals with the EU before leaving. Extensions are possible if the EU members agrees to this. However it also means if after 2 years are pass and if the EU members say that they are not happy with any of the proposals of the exiting member, then the exiting party will be automatically kicked out. On the other hand if talks are going well and they find common ground earlier on, the exiting party could leave before the 2 years.
2 years are just the timelimit for the exiting member to work out deals, if it wants to, with the EU. If it doesn't, they can exit straight away.
Yes. What I wrote was under the assumption that the UK will take 6 years to work out a deal. (Because that's what the article did.)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-14, 14:24   Link #437
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Boris as foreign minister. Cannot wait to see him parachuting into russia, china, aso to promote london... i mean england, but in reality it is just london.
I c wut u did thar.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-15, 06:59   Link #438
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

So the UK either leaves the EU, doesn't leave the EU or "leaves" the EU in name only.
Old 2016-07-15, 07:02   Link #439
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Dammit, MrTerrorist. You beat me to the punch.

But still a good summary of the current situation and fair speculation of the future.
Old 2016-07-15, 07:33   Link #440
Brother Coa
Banned

Let me answer that for you:

1 - UK leaves the EU - they voted for that and it's bound to happen. Anything less will cause public outrage.
2 - UK doesn't leave the EU - not gonna happen, even the EU is pushing them now for separation.
3 - "leaves" the EU in name only - most possible scenarion. Not part of the EU but have some agreements with them ( just like Swiss, Norway, Turkey and even Russia ).

Tags
politics