AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-12-14, 22:02   Link #821
User-104502
Banned

I never understood the appeal of "The Melancholy of Harui Suzumiya" Yeah, Haruhi's eccentric, but so is every other girl in anime! What makes her so special? Plus, the artwork is unoriginal and can easily be mistaken for any anime show.
Old 2009-12-14, 22:30   Link #822
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavadictahoe View Post
I never understood the appeal of "The Melancholy of Harui Suzumiya" Yeah, Haruhi's eccentric, but so is every other girl in anime! What makes her so special? Plus, the artwork is unoriginal and can easily be mistaken for any anime show.
... Given that the character of Haruhi Suzumiya is one of my favorites in all of anime, and given that I absolutely loved the Haruhi 2006 art style... and given that these are the two elements that I like the most about the actual Haruhi anime... it's very hard for me to resist debating this point with you...

One of your points I feel like I have to reply to, though. It's true that eccentric girls are common in anime (although I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that every girl in anime is eccentric; I've seen a fair number of fairly normal female characters in anime).

However, with a lot of female characters, the eccentricities are gimmicky. They feel tacked on to give some distinctive quirk to the character. And maybe that's Ok.

But then there's female characters who's eccentricities is more rooted in a core personality aspect of the character. It's more than just a quirk; it's something that adds depth to the character. This kind of eccentricity stands out much more than just quirkiness, imo.
Old 2009-12-14, 22:44   Link #823
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post

For emo in anime I'd think something more along the lines of the Key adapations like Clannad, Air and Kanon in their latter halves based on how much they deliberately try to make the viewer cry and bring their spirits down alone. I mean there's emotion and then there's overwrought emotion, although granted they are referred to as "crying" games and anime by their fandom at large. In fact that gets me thinking...I don't hate these shows by any stretch of the imagination and feel they have quite a few good and well directed moments, but they do qualify as ones that I have a lot of issues with just the same and yet everyone else (or so it feels sometimes) seems to think are the greatest thing since sliced bread with no flaws of which to speak. Maybe it's just a sign of the times and my own personal tastes but when I think of exceptional greatness in anime that I've watched Key adaptations don't exactly spring to my mind as much as they seem to for much of the fandom.
Haha, I was gonna post about something similar somewhere else, but I guess you filled in the blanks for me. Yea, that is definitely a weakness in the writing style in where I feel they often they take shortcuts to "teh sad" at the expense of certain other things. It actually crippled my viewing of Kanon at one point as my emo meter broke. Despite being a pretty big fan of all 3 shows, I think they could be better and I do agree with your posting to some extent.

As for people thinking "they are the greatest thing since sliced bread"; not really sure it's in particular to those particular shows. A lot of popular shows tend to have people doing that. Though I am guessing Kyoto animation shows since Haruhi are subject to this hype more. Personally, I don't really care much for hype as I came across them after they aired and usually only read about series I'm actively following. So take whatever you will from that.

But in any case, certainly acquiring such a devoted fanbase has got to mean these shows did poke the right buttons in some places.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2009-12-14, 22:49   Link #824
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Elfin Lied

Left me feeling like the world is an evil and horrible place and I'd be better off dying. Literally, that is how it made me feel- I felt semi-suicidal and stayed in bed for a whole day reading cheerful books with happy endings to get over it. Why would I ever want to see a show that makes me feel like that?

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2009-12-14, 23:21   Link #825
lubczyk

Kara no Kyoukai (Garden of Sinners). Terrible storytelling. It's either bad translation or everyone speaks in riddles. Plus everyone has like these detailed bodies but deadpan faces. Newcomers to the franchise are not welcome it seems. I watched all seven movies and I still didn't understand what the point of the series was. Shiki and her (boyfriend?) with the glasses turned out to be a total bust in the end. I enjoyed the first 4 movies somewhat, but by the 5th, it just wasn't making sense. Having the series be out of order is not exciting. It's a gimmick at this point and in that series. Plus Shiki and her friends going shounen and overcoming all just got boring after a while.
Old 2009-12-14, 23:55   Link #826
cinderella.rockstar

A lot of people really like it, but... Axis Powers Hetalia.

I know that it's got the manga and the 2 seasons and the movie and it's really popular and whatever, but it's really not that funny :/ I never got the humor in it and the characters all look the same to me. I wish the characters were more original also, rather than being named after countries and their personalities being based off of stereotypes. I got bored really fast D:

And another one is Umineko, which I actually love to pieces (it's my favorite right now), but even as an anime-only watcher I can tell that DEEN got really lazy with the animation, seeing as how there's so many mistakes (Stakes switching hairstyles and haircolors? Really?) :/ I don't hate the anime itself, but the way the studio handled the animation just really annoys me becuase they think boobs and a couple of Higu faces are gonna make them money, and that's not what Umineko is D:

That is all. ;P
Old 2009-12-15, 02:05   Link #827
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderella.rockstar View Post
A lot of people really like it, but... Axis Powers Hetalia.

I know that it's got the manga and the 2 seasons and the movie and it's really popular and whatever, but it's really not that funny :/ I never got the humor in it and the characters all look the same to me. I wish the characters were more original also, rather than being named after countries and their personalities being based off of stereotypes. I got bored really fast D:
I believe thats the point of Hetalia, its supposed to be about stereotypes and for me thats what makes it so great

oddly gotta say seeing Umineko being mentioned, something about the series irks me for some reason, I couldn't say I hate it but maybe a mild dislike.
Well I think it might be down to the fact that murder mystery just doesn't hit home as much as it did before, this I blame on CSI, I'm too into the technical side of it all now-__-
Old 2009-12-16, 23:25   Link #828
Vampire
Birth by Moonlight

Send a message via MSN to Vampire
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderella.rockstar View Post
And another one is Umineko, which I actually love to pieces (it's my favorite right now), but even as an anime-only watcher I can tell that DEEN got really lazy with the animation, seeing as how there's so many mistakes (Stakes switching hairstyles and haircolors? Really?) :/ I don't hate the anime itself, but the way the studio handled the animation just really annoys me becuase they think boobs and a couple of Higu faces are gonna make them money, and that's not what Umineko is D:
I'm also a anime-only watcher and I sorta enjoy the show. But it's so confusing most of the time and I never got the plot, just that so many things were out of place. In the first place, isn't Battler fighting for his and his family's future and yet becomes more cheerful and rival-friendly out of the blue. Then there's those dead-pan reactions that the characters show like with Maria suddenly having troll faces or some people are not shocked that a couple of cheerleading girls popped out of no where and start massacring the place. Sometimes I wonder if I ever met people like Ange would make me assume she has serious schizophrenia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
And the vampires there don't sparkle.
That one sentence that was uttered by my friends after asking their opinion made me dropped the idea of ever viewing the content completely.
Old 2009-12-20, 10:55   Link #829
Jeffry2009
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009
from Gravion Series to Dragonaut The Resonanse by GONZO because it was all about girls but with big breasts.

Isn't that gross to you guys?
Old 2009-12-20, 12:05   Link #830
Atmospheric
Dango Time~

Probably Soul Eater and Cowboy Bebop.
Old 2009-12-20, 13:52   Link #831
animelover888

I know one! FRUITS BASKET i donno why but i hate it but alot of people seems to like it
Old 2009-12-22, 16:36   Link #832
Oppius
Banned

Another popular anime I don't see people love, not hate:

Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad.

I hate to say this but Macross Frontier and K-On! has better soundtrack than Beck.
Old 2009-12-22, 17:07   Link #833
animeboy12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffry2009 View Post
from Gravion Series to Dragonaut The Resonanse by GONZO because it was all about girls but with big breasts.

Isn't that gross to you guys?
1) some of us yes, some of us no
2) If all you got from both show were girls with big breasts, then quite frankly I suggest you re-watch the show and actually pay attention.

3) who is this everyone that likes dragonaut

Last edited by animeboy12; 2009-12-22 at 17:49.
Old 2009-12-22, 17:43   Link #834
Animelover#1
Kouta...

I love the dragon ball series. probably because its nostalgic, but thats not the only reason.
I must have watched every episode at least twice. (yes all 500 or so of them, twice.)

Then again it's more of an exception. I love romance animes more than fighting or action ones. unless said action anime has romance in the mix.

Tbh i din't really like gurran lagann or sailor moon. sailor moon just felt crude imo. although thats probably just the age of the anime showing. i need crisp visuals :L.
Old 2009-12-22, 19:56   Link #835
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

Send a message via AIM to zebra Send a message via MSN to zebra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Elfin Lied

Left me feeling like the world is an evil and horrible place and I'd be better off dying. Literally, [...] Why would I ever want to see a show that makes me feel like that?
Ok, in your case it might have been very extreme, but if a series or a film suceeds in bringing forth such strong emotions in me - I have no other choice but to love it. I love it when a series is capable of making me cry and making me miserable. It shows I care what happens to the characters and it doesn't happen very often.
Make me suffer! Cause me pain! That's entertainment Just at the other side of the coin from humor.

But as I said .. your case might be different lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
I have a pretty low opinion of Bokura ga Ita, even though it's highly rated by people who seem to share my tastes in anime.
Hmm I guess I'm with you. It had it's highlights, but most of the time it was mediocre. I never understood why it gets praised as the perfect drama so much. It has a lot of tragedy, yes, but the characters didn't deliver it to me, dunno why. .. this one didn't make me cry ;D

Oh and same with NANA. Generally it had very cool characters, but the story went kinda meh :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppius View Post
Another popular anime I don't see people love, not hate:

Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad.

I hate to say this but Macross Frontier and K-On! has better soundtrack than Beck.
I crossed out Macross xD' I'm still not through, even so it's interesting. But ... the mecha 'action' .. coupled with a J-pop song. The special effect of adding a song kind of feels abused, when it happens with every goddamn fight. Oh and I can't stand the opening .... It's just my taste, I know, but I expected more character centricness .. because everyone always keeps on saying it's not as much about mechas as about the people.
Well it slows me down, but I like the characters, so let's see what I say when I'm through .

Anyway .. Beck: I watched that in high anticipation because it was so high praised as an awesome slice-of-life show with an even better soundtrack. I'm in! ..Meh. Really, it wasn't bad. I think I even liked a song or two. But. Yeah .. but! It was ok, but I found no awesomeness (for me).

Honestly I don't hate any shows. It's just that I often find dearly loved shows boring, e.g. Lucky Star , Clannad or Air Gear. But I don't blame anyone who loves them xD.

The show that comes closest in my hating department would be School Days. Because I watched it completely. Because it just got worse. Because everyone became dumber by the minute.
Spoiler for Nice Boat!:
Old 2009-12-31, 19:53   Link #836
Tealeafy
✿Higurashi+Umineko Fan✿

Elfen Lied and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya... and I was never that big of a Fullmetal Alchemist or Cowboy Bebop fan, either.
:/
I tried very hard to like them, but I just couldn't get into them. I tried to stick with Elfen Lied because I liked the story and I'm a fan of gory anime, but I just didn't like it.
Old 2009-12-31, 22:38   Link #837
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

My 10 most despised series of all time all seem to fall under the category of this thread:

1. Tenga Toppen Guren Lagann
2. Bakemonogatari
3. Soul Eater
4. Baccano
5. Mariaholic
6. Ouran High School Host Club
7. Kannagi
8. Speed Grapher
9. Black Lagoon
10. Darker Than Black
Old 2009-12-31, 23:47   Link #838
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:

TTGL, outside all the fanboyish stuff related to it, was awesome for all the right reasons.

(But I bet I'm one of the few that likes it for things other than pretty explosions).

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2009-12-31, 23:56   Link #839
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
My 10 most despised series of all time all seem to fall under the category of this thread:

2. Bakemonogatari
3. Soul Eater
4. Baccano
5. Mariaholic
6. Ouran High School Host Club
7. Kannagi
8. Speed Grapher
9. Black Lagoon
10. Darker Than Black
someone who doesn't like Baccano!! Out of the curiosity may I ask why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post

TTGL, outside all the fanboyish stuff related to it, was awesome for all the right reasons.

(But I bet I'm one of the few that likes it for things other than pretty explosions).
I would say lot of people liked it not because of the pretty explosions but generally through the characters.
Old 2010-01-01, 00:04   Link #840
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Yea people generally love TTGL's characters more than anything, especially the non mecha fans it attracted.

And Kamina was loved so much by non mecha TTGL fans that the show is getting hate from mecha fans. People who've watched TTGL as their only Super Robot anime, thinks that Kamina is like the greatest mecha character ever, which offends lots of mecha anime fans.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Closed Thread