AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-10-05, 09:52   Link #401
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Looks great, moves superbly, sounds OK... I hope from the second episode onward it would be more than bishounen pretending to be cool.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 10:16   Link #402
SQA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terizent View Post
Well that was a pretty enjoyable first episode. Animation was godtier, as expected of GoHands. I liked the minimalistic usage of dialogue and the filters really weren't that big a of deal if you ask me. And by god that OP is amazing. Munakata vs Mikoto on skyscrapers = awesome.

I don't know why people are complaining that it was confusing/trite. It's not like we can expect for the entire plot to be shoved in our faces immediately. The whole episode was pretty clear, you even know why Homra's pursuing Yashiro if you paid attention to the cameraman's face and character bios. The cameraman is a member of Homra as well, so they're out for revenge for killing/injuring their friend.
The problem seems to be a lot of people are afflicted with the sudden inability to realize "visual storytelling" exists. Pretty much all of the major relationships in the series were established without using any lines of dialogue explicitly on them.

Or they were distracted by the animation and (for anime) fairly good English in the introductory scenes and missed the important information being shown. Those character interactions weren't random. You could make out a fairly good map of the pecking order (and combat abilities) of the major players in the series. We don't know all of the details for why things have happened they way they did, but that's where story development comes in later in a series.
SQA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 10:20   Link #403
rulfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Manju Bun View Post
Im gonna try to give it my 3 epi rule. Seiyuu cast was fab of course but I felt like I was watching an epi that should have been further into the series, not the first. I guess this makes up for everyone who always complains nothing happens in the first epi or it's slow Here then have a ton of random stuff happen! This was odd to say the least but gonna try to hold onto it for a bit.
This was the extreme. I mean you were literally thrown in the thick of it without even being compelled to care about it. It's like you were thrown in the middle of a discussion without any pointers to ponder on. It completely alienates you.

Anyway I'm really sorry about the rage. I really don't want to start a fire here or what but for some reason this is really pissing me.

Moving on... It's not like the first time I've seen terrible first episodes.
rulfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 10:21   Link #404
Malkuth
Banned

@SQA: Visual storytelling or lack of any form of significant dialogue save for the 5 lines near the end? I think it's pretty much the same thing viewed from a different perspective.
Old 2012-10-05, 10:48   Link #405
Kazu-kun

Graphics looked good, expect maybe for the color styling which makes it seem like a Michael Bay movie.

I agree with SQA on the story. It wasn't hard to understand. All the important information was given. There's no need for much dialog, specially when the premise isn't that complex to being with.
Old 2012-10-05, 11:08   Link #406
ronin myael
lost ronin

i was drawn to this series because of the seiyuu cast. most of my favorite seiyuu are in it so i just had to check it out. the anime looks good but i still couldn't figure out what the plot is all about. i couldn't understand half of what's going on. maybe i should give it more time???
Old 2012-10-05, 11:43   Link #407
wisteria233

So saw the first episode looks good, sounds great, some how reminds me of No.6. The first episode seems more like an episode meant to establish the setting, and premise, in addition to giving us questions that will be answered once the series gets going.

I think I'll keep with this series.
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 11:46   Link #408
SQA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
@SQA: Visual storytelling or lack of any form of significant dialogue save for the 5 lines near the end? I think it's pretty much the same thing viewed from a different perspective.
The entire sequence before the OP was a monster information dump. Yes, it was god-tier animation, but the actions and interactions were anything but random. It built most of the world and the conflict that's obviously on the table. The "Why" is what we'll find out later.

They did spend a while, after the OP, taking their time. But with that level of animation, they were in no hurry. That showing off probably is going to net them a whole lot of BluRay sales. Still, it sets a contrast between the combat scenes and the idyllic school life.

As I've recently started rewatching Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, it's pretty noticeable that it used a similar opening episode. GITS:SAC had more talking, but very little had much to do with building the world. You figured that out by the interactions and the puzzle they were solving. That's very much what they were up to here.

This doesn't seem like an anime that'll give up its secrets easily, but it's also not a mystery series. They've given the audience a lot to look at and take in, so there was no lack of world and plot information given. It just wasn't written at you, since this isn't a Manga or Light Novel adaptation.
SQA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 11:48   Link #409
ookamigirl

Really, really nice beginning of the episode ^^
The blue squad vs Mikoto's gang... can't wait to see those two clash.
The high school part was... well, kinda typical.
That Shiro guy was pretty relaxed and easy going.
His day got intense real fast LOL
Shiro meets Kuroh and a whole lot of trouble.
Looks interesting. Will be watching this one.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 11:54   Link #410
Malkuth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQA View Post
The entire sequence before the OP was a monster information dump. Yes, it was god-tier animation, but the actions and interactions were anything but random. It built most of the world and the conflict that's obviously on the table. The "Why" is what we'll find out later.

They did spend a while, after the OP, taking their time. But with that level of animation, they were in no hurry. That showing off probably is going to net them a whole lot of BluRay sales. Still, it sets a contrast between the combat scenes and the idyllic school life.

As I've recently started rewatching Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, it's pretty noticeable that it used a similar opening episode. GITS:SAC had more talking, but very little had much to do with building the world. You figured that out by the interactions and the puzzle they were solving. That's very much what they were up to here.

This doesn't seem like an anime that'll give up its secrets easily, but it's also not a mystery series. They've given the audience a lot to look at and take in, so there was no lack of world and plot information given. It just wasn't written at you, since this isn't a Manga or Light Novel adaptation.
I am not saying that it was random, rather that it lacked substance, which in itself is not negative, not every anime should be heavy on the dialogue side; since as you also wrote, it's not a novel after-all.

Anyway, as I wrote, nice visuals, good animation, and western-friendly music will make this popular here, plus all the pretty boys for the girls
Old 2012-10-05, 11:57   Link #411
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
I'm with SQA and Kazu kun here,don't feel alienated,I understood what was happening,it's the why that in question but I figure that's what later episodes are for and I hope the why will add substance.

If I had to name an anime this season where I felt alienated (but in a good way) it'd be Shinsekai yori

A drastic difference compared to a number of other shows is that K isn't told from a 1st person perspective of the MC,though maybe that'll change in the coming episodes since he did introduce himself to the audience in the preview
Old 2012-10-05, 12:08   Link #412
wisteria233

We have to remember several things about this series first it hasn't revealed any sort of summary about it, and its trailer was really just snippets of the first episode, plus with the manga spin off only having two chapters they really need to get you informed about the world first.
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 12:12   Link #413
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Wow, that was a great first episode even though I can't figure out what the show is trying to be. It reminded me of Samurai Champloo something that Watanabe might do.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 12:16   Link #414
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I expected something really confusing based on the comments here but this introductory episode was easy enough to understand, even if it's true they didn't spoon-feed us in the least. Only thing I'm confused about is the invisible naked catgirl running around at school. lol wut. I didn't really get whether the MC was supposed to be the one on the video or if that's just his evil twin either (could be a split personality too). The two were so different.

Anyway, this sure looked fantastic, didn't it? And blue. The soundtrack was pretty good too. I'm not sure if the story is going to be any good but I'll definitely keep watching for the eye-candy alone.

PS: bonus point for killing Yuuki Kaji's character right away (before the show even begun, in fact!).
Old 2012-10-05, 13:22   Link #415
Xaturas

Hmmm really good animation, a lot of great CG animation. Skateboard scenes were really nice with the perspective and all.
Dunno about the story. We have future japan, kings and police fighting with some super powers and some strange swords in the air, cat that is actually a sexy girl, mc that showed Yaoi vibes (brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr), secret organization on orbit, and other stuff.
It kinda reminded me of durrara first ep, fluid animation and all that stuff, thing is how will the story progress.
Another one to the watch list it is.
Old 2012-10-05, 13:31   Link #416
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladrave View Post
I just hope that there will be no yaoi. It already shown some hint.
Hints?

If that moment involved two girls, people would be dancing with joy at the prospect of yuri.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 13:32   Link #417
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Totally liked the first ep. Those visuals were too good, wonder if they can keep that quality.
Old 2012-10-05, 13:36   Link #418
Xaturas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Hints?

If that moment involved two girls, people would be dancing with joy at the prospect of yuri.
Yeah if that happens I'm jumping out of the boat at the first sight of solid land.
I could survive Yaoi Stick boy in Koi to Senkyo, but I won't survive if its the MC that tries to suck yaoi stick of his bodyguard here.
Old 2012-10-05, 13:42   Link #419
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I had no trouble understanding what was going on but the minimalist approach really was making it difficult for me to truly feel involved and care about what was going on. So I really do hope it won't stick with this formula all throughout because otherwise I might get bored too quickly.

And I think they were kinda layering on the Rule of Cool a bit too thick as well.

Last edited by Haak; 2012-10-05 at 14:21.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-05, 14:18   Link #420
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Pssst, fanservice can only go one way, the other way is all wrong and unwatchable.

>Xaturas
If even the prospect and some little service bothers you I think you'd beter start looking for solid land... xD;;

(Me, I'm just waiting for the inevitable onslaught of Munakata x Suou over at pixiv...)

Apropos pixiv, wow, the 1st ep is barely out and they're already selling what look like official cosplay for Kurou and the Sexy Corps? (to whoever it was that came up with this name, I think I'm going to use it from now on... XD) They really, really want this show to be popular...
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, bishonen, fantasy, gang, supernatural