Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-02-09, 23:34   Link #1
Tallica

Send a message via AIM to Tallica
reccomendations

Well i am going on vacation in like 5 days and there is going to be a lot of riding around in a car....so i think gettin some manga might be a good idea! i don't really read manga so i don;t know whats good, I like comedy/drama/romance, some of my fav animes are kimi ga nozomu eien, full moon wo sagashite and love hina. any suggestions would be appreciated!
Old 2004-02-09, 23:49   Link #2
babbito2k
annoying white bat

You're gonna buy them near your house? What do they have at the local bookstores? Aa! Megami-sama (Oh! My Goddess) is often easy to find, a nice romance/comedy.

Last edited by babbito2k; 2004-02-10 at 04:23.
Old 2004-02-09, 23:50   Link #3
TronDD
Team the box!

What about the Love Hina manga?

I'm reading Video Girl Ai, right now. It's not so much comedy as drama/romance, though.
Old 2004-02-10, 01:23   Link #4
flammie
White Dragon

Fruits basket, Maison ikkoku
Old 2004-02-10, 01:26   Link #5
AnimeFangirl

Hmmm, yeah. Fruits Basket vol 1 supposedly came out today. I wouldn't really recommend Maison Ikkoku, though. Even if you like romance stuff I think it's sub-par.
Old 2004-02-10, 04:26   Link #6
flammie
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl
Hmmm, yeah. Fruits Basket vol 1 supposedly came out today. I wouldn't really recommend Maison Ikkoku, though. Even if you like romance stuff I think it's sub-par.
Actually, Maison Ikkoku is probably the best romantic comedy ever. But its a lot more relevant to poor college students than to people still in high school and such.
Old 2004-02-10, 04:36   Link #7
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by flammie
Actually, Maison Ikkoku is probably the best romantic comedy ever. But its a lot more relevant to poor college students than to people still in high school and such.
It's one of my top favorites. But it takes awhile to read it.

"Short Program" by Adachi would be nice to have on a vacation because it's only one volume of short stories. But I don't know how easy that would be to find.

Rumic Theater and Rumic World are also solid short story collections. Doesn't matter which volume you get of either because the stories are unrelated.
Old 2004-02-10, 08:37   Link #8
Shiori

If you're after some Shojo, I picked up a cute new manga series called Angel Guardian Getten.

I think the proper title is "Mamotte Shugogetten". If you liked Ah! my goddess, then this would be good to read.
Old 2004-02-10, 11:28   Link #9
AnimeFangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by flammie
Well I'm a poor college student and I still despised it. The characters of Godai and Kyoko just weren't enough to hold my interest and everyone else I just wanted to strangle. However I DID manage to read all of it, right down to the cheap and cheesy ending, so it wasn't THAT bad. I just don't think I would recommend it, especially not for a boring trip.
Old 2004-02-10, 21:14   Link #10
Tallica

Send a message via AIM to Tallica
well i went today and got love hina...cus i knew it would be good! then i kinda decided to go for somethin really random so i picked up Ai Yori Aoshi. I remember some of my dvds have previews for the anime and except for some of the voice acting it didn;t look to shabby, so why not try the manga. any of you familiar with it?
Old 2004-02-11, 10:13   Link #11
TronDD
Team the box!

I've seen the anime. It wasn't bad. The drama/romance was good, I don't recall it being very funny, though. But then I didn't think Love Hina was funny, either,

I think both would be worth reading, though.
Old 2004-02-11, 12:35   Link #12
7thMethuselah

love comedy romance:

try out :

Love Hina (best one there is) : 14 manga
Chobits : 8 manga
Ai Yori Aoshi : only 1 manga so far :'(
Ah My Goddes : nice but i didn't like the drawing style (20+ manga i believe)
Old 2004-02-11, 16:17   Link #13
Last Exile

It shocks me that nobody has yet to mention Azmanga Daioh, possibly the greatest comedy manga to date! Also, if you like romance, for me nothing beats Kare Kano (his and her circumstances).

GTO, Full Metal Panic, Clover, Chobits (as already mentioned), FLCL, Evangelion (Sadamoto-san is a god), Battle Royale, Akira and Shirahime-Syo are all class A mangas... whilst .hack, happy mania, Onegai Teacher, Naruto, X-day and Gunslinger Girl all sit comfortably on the class B catergory. There really are too many to mention, these are just some of my favourites.

Love hina is a good start though, and after you've read all 14 books the anime will begin to look like a joke in comparison.

What can I say, I love da manga... ^_^

edit:: Oh I forgot Nausicaa of the valley of wind. One of the most epic mangas in existance I think those who've read it would all agree.
Closed Thread