AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-04-12, 22:08   Link #101
Undertaker

Adachi is amazing, definitely one of my top 5 favorite mangaka of all time. I've been following his work since Touch. He's one of the few mangaka that have withstand the test of time.

bramabull4316 (theard starter) commented on his drawing style being not very good that made me want to jump out and defend him, as his drawing style can be consider the root of all manga. His is the only one of the two mangaka that are still active have have been drawing them since the 70s. (the other being Rumiko Takahashi of Ranma1/2 and Inuyasha fame)

Others from his generation either have already died, lost in time, or moving on to background works (like Akira Toriyama). He still kept his style distinct with late 70s', early to mid 80's feel. Unlike Kōsuke Fujishima (another of my top 5 of all time) who masterfully adapts to a more modern style mainly because his career didn't start until mid to late 80s and was a generation or two behind both Adachi and Takahashi. Both Adachi and Takahashi are able to keep their roots and remain popular, which is evident with the amount the Adachi's work ported through other media. You'd be hard to find a mangaka who had more works been adapted into other media. Here are what I know:

Touch = Anime TV series (peaked over 40% in ratings, a ridiculous number even in the 80s), 1 anime special, 3 anime films, 1 live film, a culture icon series that is well-referenced in Japan/Asian TVs. (ie J-drama icon Long Vacation had a scene with a direct reference to the series)

Nine = 1 Animate film, 3 anime special, 1 TV drama special.

Rough = 1 live film

Miyuki = Anime TV series, 1 animate film, 1 TV drama special,

Slow Step = 1 OVA

Hiatari Ryōkō = Anime TV series, 1 animate film, 1 TV drama series

Jinbe = 1 TV drama series

H2 = Animate TV series, 1 TV drama series

That's a lot of series adaption.

Not to mention, his works has sold over 200 million in total, a feat not many mangaka can claim.

He has also mentor many popular mangaka, including Yellow Tanabe (Kekkaishi), Shimamoto Kazuhiko (Blazing Transfer Student), and Kumeta Kōji (Sayonara Zetsubō Sensei).

In turn, Kazuhiko mentored Katsu Aki (Futari Ecchi, Psychic Academy) and Katsu Aki in turn mentors Mine Yoshizaki (Keroro Gunso), while Kōji mentors Kenjiro Hata (Hayate no Gotoku)

As result, he is also quite an influential figure in Manga world.

Also I personally think his work are more "slice of life" as almost all the sport background are just icing on the cake and can easily replaced with other activities. While most of his work as still cansider sports manga, they are more like Bamboo Blade than say Hajime no Ippo, Monaco no Sora, or MAJORS, where the main focuses are the characters rather than the sports itself.

Cross game is great, I even think it have a chace of surpassing the great TOUCH.

Katsu ended a bit too rash and it wasn't really his best work, while H2, considered as one of his best work but a lot of fans didn't like the ending (me included) even though it is the right ending for the series when consider the personalities of all main characters. There just isn't a series yet that can be considered in the same level as Touch.

Anyway, back Cross Game. Just saw Episode 1, I was surprised, the creative team handled the death scene perfectly, and almost made me shed some man tear just like the original manga did. The feeling Adachi intended in the manga translated perfectly here.

On the other hand, I can't believe how much material episode 1 covered. The end of the episode is virtually the end of chapter 10 and 1st volume of the manga which serves as Part 1. Obviously not all 10 chapter was jammed in there and I suspect the missing parts with show up as flashbacks, but the story is progessing MUCH FASTER than I thought in episode 1, where I thought the death scene won't occur until at lest episode 3. .

This make me a bit nervous as the manga still running with no ending in sight and I don't want Cross Game be the first Adachi anime series with altered/rashed ending.

I originally thought the series would run for about 50 episode (2 seasons or 4 short season) and coincede with manga's ending. But if the rest of the series paces like episode 1 than the anime could very well reach the end of Part 2 well within 26 episode.

Last edited by Undertaker; 2009-04-12 at 23:47. Reason: accidently hit submit before finish
Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 22:50   Link #102
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
Adachi is amazing, definitely one of my top 5 favorite mangaka of all time. I've been following his work since Touch. He's one of the few mangaka that have withstand the test of time.

bramabull4316 (theard starter) commented on his drawing style being not very good that made me want to jump out an defend him, as his drawing style can be consider the root of all manga. His is the only one of the two mangaka that are still active have have been drawing them since the 70s. (the other being Rumiko Takahashi of Ranma1/2 and Inuyasha fame)

Others from his generation either have already died, lost in time, or moving on to background works (like Akira Toriyama). His work are so good, you'd be hard to find a mangaka who had more works been ported into other medias. Here are what I know:

Touch = Anime TV series, 3 Anime films, 1 live film, a culture icon series.
Rough =
Miyuki = Anime Series, 1 animate film, 1 TV drama pecial
Don't forget H2
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 23:32   Link #103
lixuelai

Well Touch did have an extended ending that is not in the manga I think. Not sure if the U.S. arc was in the manga or not (I would guess not). It wasnt bad though and fit the general storyline from the original pretty well.
lixuelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 23:46   Link #104
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by golthin View Post
Don't forget H2

Sorry, I accidently hit sumbit before I can finish my post. feel free to to back and check, it took me almost an hour to finish that post.
Old 2009-04-13, 00:16   Link #105
Heibi
Ancient Fansubber
*Fansubber

We should have Episode #1 up by Wednesday, I hope. Since we loved Touch this was an easy choice.
Old 2009-04-13, 11:04   Link #106
Agent86
Yuki-ist and Hina-geek

After the 2nd episode, I feel more confident that the animation team is going to strike the right balance between the characters of Kou and Aoba. The final, alternating sequence was especially nice.

They also managed to get in just about all of the important "missing" scenes from Volume 1 that were left out of the first episode. It seems that they wanted the dramatic ending to happen at the end of episode 1 rather than 2, and they may very well be right about that.
Agent86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 11:16   Link #107
lixuelai

Yeah it like how they set the mood for the series immediately in Episode 1. Looking on ANN this is only going to be 13 episodes so they may well have to do that. Also the manga is more about what is after Episode 1 unlike Touch where the events before the plot twist is of much more significance.
Old 2009-04-13, 16:32   Link #108
magnumcyclonex
Cyclone Magnum

Only 13 eps?! I was hoping for another Touch length anime...

Last edited by magnumcyclonex; 2009-04-13 at 16:45.
magnumcyclonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 17:07   Link #109
Agent86
Yuki-ist and Hina-geek

AFAIK, there is no official announcement of how many episodes Cross Game will have. The "13 episodes" thing is just from the ANN info page, which doesn't even list the correct character names, despite corrections posted over a week ago.

It's a sports anime airing in a good timeslot for the intended audience. I'd think that it will run at least 2 cours, maybe 4.
Agent86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 17:28   Link #110
magnumcyclonex
Cyclone Magnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent86 View Post
AFAIK, there is no official announcement of how many episodes Cross Game will have. The "13 episodes" thing is just from the ANN info page, which doesn't even list the correct character names, despite corrections posted over a week ago.

It's a sports anime airing in a good timeslot for the intended audience. I'd think that it will run at least 2 cours, maybe 4.
Oh, good. I really don't think something like this should be restricted to only 13 episodes.

BTW, while we're touching on the subject, why have anime series become progressively shorter?

Back in the 80's, they went for as long as the story could go. Then there were 52 episode series, then 24-26, and now 12-13. Is it because of scheduling and air time availability or something else? Thanks.
magnumcyclonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 19:51   Link #111
SageGaiGar
You are Next

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumcyclonex View Post
Oh, good. I really don't think something like this should be restricted to only 13 episodes.

BTW, while we're touching on the subject, why have anime series become progressively shorter?

Back in the 80's, they went for as long as the story could go. Then there were 52 episode series, then 24-26, and now 12-13. Is it because of scheduling and air time availability or something else? Thanks.
I'd say right now it's likely funding. And trying to cram as many different shows into seasons as possible.
Old 2009-04-13, 20:16   Link #112
Pachael
原作通り

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
Sorry, I accidently hit sumbit before I can finish my post. feel free to to back and check, it took me almost an hour to finish that post.
You've covered the lot. With Adachi, what you see is really what you get and I'm expecting the same with this series, which so far is on the mark if Ep 1 was I thought a bit rushed.

'My Sweet Sunday' is also a good look (AdachixTakahashi for Sunday's 50th anniversary, I'm fairly sure it can be read on the web) as it talks about the two authors' influences.
Pachael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 22:32   Link #113
Jin and Toanic
Vide supra
*Fansubber

I wonder when Atha's group is going to release their version...
Jin and Toanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-13, 22:56   Link #114
Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageGaiGar View Post
I'd say right now it's likely funding. And trying to cram as many different shows into seasons as possible.
Personally I think it was because of 2 things:

1) Longer and popular manga series were adapted too early and as result suffers from lack of material with anime catching up too quickly and it's hard to fit filler arc in. (ie RAVE, Get Backer, Angel Heart)

2) Anime adaption that actually waited can't make up their mind on the length of the series nor coordinate with mangaka for potential endings. There are also too many risks if anime adaption is too long. For example, KareKano's original manga went on hiatus for almost a year, HunterxHunter is similar, so did Hikaru no Go when part 2 and 3 both have at least 3 month breaks. which would cause anime teams to mess up their paceing not to mention popularity. Worse case, the mangaka could died and the series forced to stop. (ie Itazura no Kiss)

Also paceing of the series is a issue. Take Lovely Complex for example, great manga, and the anime came out right around volume 13 of the series, so there was plenty of the source but they pace of the anime too quickly which cause source material to deplete too quickly and got caught in a weird place where the material left is too much for series to end at 26 episode but too little for 39 episodes (three seasons). That cause story progress too quickly and ending seems rashed.

Also there are still long anime series around, they are just not popular outside of Asia since most of them are more "moe" series like Pretty Cure, Onegai My Melody and such....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachael View Post
You've covered the lot. With Adachi, what you see is really what you get and I'm expecting the same with this series, which so far is on the mark if Ep 1 was I thought a bit rushed.

'My Sweet Sunday' is also a good look (AdachixTakahashi for Sunday's 50th anniversary, I'm fairly sure it can be read on the web) as it talks about the two authors' influences.

Thanks, I haven't heard about that collaboration yet, but I'll definately check it out even if I'm not really a Takahashi fan. (But I did like Ranma1/2)

Speaking of collaboration, I really enjoyed "Cross Epoch" between Oda and Toriyama. While reading it, I can't stop thinking how happy Oda must have be since it was a well-known fact that Toriyama is by far his favorite mangaka and his idol. He even kept a signed art of Toriyama that he got while he was still a rookie and put it right on top of his drawing board in his office and refer it as his most prized posession during many interview. It also symbolize a passing of baton between the most popular mangaka in the 80's-90's to the most popular mangaka from since late 90s'.
Old 2009-04-14, 02:07   Link #115
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent86 View Post

even though the manga is not over they have enough material for 2 or 3 cours. don't worry ANN also had "Hanasakeru Seishounen" listed at 12 or 13 episodes and that show was already confirmed for 39 episodes by the mangaka and a seiyuu.
golthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 19:55   Link #116
Noe
HARDCORE Fate addict™

Send a message via AIM to Noe Send a message via MSN to Noe
Jade fansubs are really good. I think I'm in love with this show.

ALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!
#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net to revere, share, and cherish Fate Testarossa Harlaown.
My blog
Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 21:57   Link #117
topboy
poor man

cross game OP single (kobukuro - Niji) is out :
http://www.mediafire.com/?g1wzwzzz5q3

Tracklist:
01. Niji
02. Summer Rain
03. Rururu
04. Niji (Instrumental)
05. Summer Rain (Instrumental)
06. Rururu (Instrumental)
from : http://www.aznsource.com/forums/view...hp?f=5&p=46887
topboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-14, 23:07   Link #118
apropervillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by topboy View Post
cross game OP single (kobukuro - Niji) is out :
http://www.mediafire.com/?g1wzwzzz5q3

Tracklist:
01. Niji
02. Summer Rain
03. Rururu
04. Niji (Instrumental)
05. Summer Rain (Instrumental)
06. Rururu (Instrumental)
from : http://www.aznsource.com/forums/view...hp?f=5&p=46887
OOOH thanks for this, I've had this song stuck in my head ever since the first episode aired.
apropervillain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-15, 00:39   Link #119
lixuelai

Lol talking of music I was rewatching parts of some older Adachi anime. I have to say Omoide ga Ippai from Miyuki ED is the best.
Old 2009-04-15, 16:08   Link #120
kanon78
Confederate

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumcyclonex View Post
Only 13 eps?! I was hoping for another Touch length anime...
Hope it will get at least 26 episodes, but 51+ would be great.
kanon78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseball, drama, romance, school life, shounen, sports