Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-12-01, 12:40   Link #121
Jouten

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakumo-chan View Post
I agree in much in what you have said, but you made it wrong for luffy having 30 million, luffy had 100 million after the alabasta arc
Yes that's true, but the moment Robin joined, Luffy still had 30 million. He got a bounty increase soon after he defeated crocodile, but he learned about it much later
Old 2011-12-01, 12:50   Link #122
Homura7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jouten View Post
Yes that's true, but the moment Robin joined, Luffy still had 30 million. He got a bounty increase soon after he defeated crocodile, but he learned about it much later
What counts is the time the bounty is shown, so yeah, Luffy's was already higher at that time. And... Robin's bounty wasn't shown till Water Seven arc, if I recall good.
Old 2011-12-01, 13:03   Link #123
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adan View Post
Luffy: 400 million
Zoro: 120 million
Sanji: 77 million
Jinbe: Over fucking 400 million

Oda's family concept of the Strawhat crew.

Brook: Grandpa
Franky: Dad
Robin: Mom
Zoro: first son
Sanji: second son
Luffy: third son
Usopp: fourth son
Chopper: fifth son
Nami: first daughter

The more I look, the less sense it makes.
Franky is uncle Fester.
Old 2011-12-01, 13:32   Link #124
DreGon45
Rouge Encoder

I really don't understand why people keep measuring strength though the size of someone bounty. The only thing that the bounty implies, is that they've been recognized for more deeds then other people. Luffy may have a lower bounty then Jinbes, but it's been shown that bounty doesn't mean shit plenty of times. Luffy going toe-to-toe with Jinbie and holding his ground after the time skip. Chopper may not be as strong as the monster trio, but he's definitely nothing to fuck with.
Old 2011-12-01, 14:09   Link #125
randomlex
In the eye of the storm

I don't see a problem with Jinbe joining, although there's really not much that he can do... he's a fishman, yes, but what does he add to the crew? He's already an accomplished pirate, and adding more fighting power doesn't seem necessary, plus we've seen enough of him for now (kind of like with Crocodile).

If a new crewmate is to join now (temporarily or permanently), I'd say the best bet would be Shirley, since she's female (balancing the crew a bit ), a mermaid (i.e. fishman race), can predict the future (a unique power that could be useful), she's Arlong's sister and we don't know much about her, making for an interesting story...

Then again, she's huge compared to other mermaids and may not fit on the ship, physically ...
Old 2011-12-01, 14:19   Link #126
Homura7

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlex View Post
I don't see a problem with Jinbe joining, although there's really not much that he can do... he's a fishman, yes, but what does he add to the crew?
Unnecessary work for Franky. And he isn't unique in his kind, since any fishman can learn Fishman Karate, just look at Hody.
Old 2011-12-01, 14:42   Link #127
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
The thing is, why is it that some people feel the SHs need to be comprised entirely of rookies? Just because that's the trend so far doesn't mean it's a set-in-stone rule/requirement to join the crew. Oda has shown that he likes to deviate from certain patterns found in other shonen manga. Having someone in the crew lend their wisdom would be a role in itself.

Well, if we're talking about wisdom, we've already seen characters like Nami and Robin offer that much in spades already. And really, my issue isn't so much with a veteran joining the crew as much as it is the level of veteran joining. As I said before, Robin and Brooke can slide due the lives they've led before joining Luffy, but considering the rich history behind Jinbei, I'm not sure if he'd be an ideal candidate. I mean, he certainly does mesh well with the crew (that was proven already throughout this storyline), but.... I dunno, he just doesn't scream "permanent" crew member to me. I actually do think it would be cool if he accompanied Luffy and co. to the entrance of the New World, but it would feel strange if he traveled beyond that point with them, IMO.....
Old 2011-12-01, 15:26   Link #128
Homura7

I still think something big will happen that will make Jinbe rethink his position (if he accepts, that is). Caribou is still there and he can't leave the island.
Old 2011-12-01, 16:29   Link #129
marvelB

^Obviously, Caribou will sneak up behind Jinbei and slit his throat, therefore making the swamp-man the new nakama by default.
Old 2011-12-01, 16:32   Link #130
Prinnydood
Madness Through Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
^Obviously, Caribou will sneak up behind Jinbei and slit his throat, therefore making the swamp-man the new nakama by default.

What a horrible assumption ...
Old 2011-12-01, 16:32   Link #131
Homura7

Quote:
Lol XD

But seriously, I wonder if he has something planned to do with the Tamatebako.
Old 2011-12-01, 16:45   Link #132
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa1708 View Post
jinbei can't join... there are only 3 admirals so they are reserved for luffy, zoro, and sanji
we can't have someone join that is in the same level or higher than those 3...
Well, there is Sengoku . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlex View Post
I don't see a problem with Jinbe joining, although there's really not much that he can do... he's a fishman, yes, but what does he add to the crew? He's already an accomplished pirate, and adding more fighting power doesn't seem necessary, plus we've seen enough of him for now (kind of like with Crocodile).
I think his role is obvious and has been stated numerous times. He's Qui Gon Jinn. Or at least he's what Qui Gon Jinn should have been. He's the wise man, that would always sit in tailor seat with his arms interlaced and just be wise. That may not fit into what the other Strawhats are about, but that's the whole reason why he fits so well in Luffy's team. We don't have a mentor character in the crew yet, just like we didn't have a doctor before Chopper joined and so on and so forth. And I think that in the new world especially, Jimbei's wisdom or simply his knowledge about what's going on on this dangerous sea, is vital. We have been shown in the past that a bunch of children will not succeed with sheer willpower alone from now on. The Strawhats need power and they need wits, and Jimbei has both.
Old 2011-12-01, 16:54   Link #133
eLcHaKeTeRo
Falls for it every time.

I'm kinda late in reading the latest chapter. Therefore my opinions maybe have already been voiced by other people on previous post on this thread. With that said, I still believe that Jinbe will be the newest addition. Yeah, I also remember the guy in the treasure box on that kinda pointless chapter at one point but obviously that was just fluff. Luffy and Jinbe have a really strong bond and sense of loyalty towards each other. Bounty and "strength" aside, I do not believe Jinbe would decline being a part of his friend's crew.

In the begging of the series Luffy stated that his ideal crew would be of 10, I wonder who the last member would be. Please no more crocodile talk. Coby has a better shot at being a straw hat member but I doubt he would ever betray his sense of justice and apparent love for the marines. I can't wait to see how his haki has progressed after the war.

And finally, Luffy has always been able to talk monsters, not just sea kings. You guys remember the thousand year dragons? There has also been other instances that this has happened. I cannot remember off the top of my head and I am too lazy to go on a fact finding mission. Regardless, I wonder what this will mean in the future and no I do not believe that he will have command of a Sea King army. It's probably just another piece of the puzzle for "The Will of D"...what ever that means.
Old 2011-12-01, 18:17   Link #134
james0246

^The dragon bit was a filler arc in the anime, not something Oda did.

That being said, Luffy has always had a kinship with animals...which is a little strange considering he is a complete carnivore...
Old 2011-12-01, 19:17   Link #135
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Well, if we're talking about wisdom, we've already seen characters like Nami and Robin offer that much in spades already. And really, my issue isn't so much with a veteran joining the crew as much as it is the level of veteran joining. As I said before, Robin and Brooke can slide due the lives they've led before joining Luffy, but considering the rich history behind Jinbei, I'm not sure if he'd be an ideal candidate. I mean, he certainly does mesh well with the crew (that was proven already throughout this storyline), but.... I dunno, he just doesn't scream "permanent" crew member to me. I actually do think it would be cool if he accompanied Luffy and co. to the entrance of the New World, but it would feel strange if he traveled beyond that point with them, IMO.....
Pirating experience is essentially what you're getting at. Jimbei has a lot of that, whereas the SHs have little of it. I understand what you're saying, but I don't see that as a big problem towards him joining the crew. It's not like that will give the SHs such an advantageous edge in comparison to their competition. Additional knowledge/experience doesn't automatically equate to "cheating" for the SHs, know what I mean?

I remember you saying before that Jimbei joining the crew would be like having Shanks or Rayleigh join the crew. The big difference is that Shanks and Rayleigh are on a whole different level of power, and their joining would really upset the balance of the SH crew. Jimbei is on a much more even playing field with the SHs, so he meshes in a lot better than Shanks or Rayleigh.

Either way, I'm fine with whatever Oda decides to do with Jimbei. Preferably, I'd rather he be an ally and protector of FI, but Oda can surely find a way to integrate him nicely into the crew.
Old 2011-12-01, 19:40   Link #136
Prinnydood
Madness Through Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGoten View Post
Well, there is Sengoku . . .

I think his role is obvious and has been stated numerous times. He's Qui Gon Jinn. Or at least he's what Qui Gon Jinn should have been. He's the wise man, that would always sit in tailor seat with his arms interlaced and just be wise. That may not fit into what the other Strawhats are about, but that's the whole reason why he fits so well in Luffy's team. We don't have a mentor character in the crew yet, just like we didn't have a doctor before Chopper joined and so on and so forth. And I think that in the new world especially, Jimbei's wisdom or simply his knowledge about what's going on on this dangerous sea, is vital. We have been shown in the past that a bunch of children will not succeed with sheer willpower alone from now on. The Strawhats need power and they need wits, and Jimbei has both.

You're forgetting that Sengoku resigned his position along with Garp so they're unofficially not part of the marines anymore.

Also regarding what the other guy said.. that's an odd assumption too... there only being 3 admirals doesn't mean that there can only be Sanji, Zoro, and Luffy. Chances that all three of them will end up fighting are really slim.. that was really random lol..
Old 2011-12-01, 19:49   Link #137
Jouten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinnydood View Post
You're forgetting that Sengoku resigned his position along with Garp so they're unofficially not part of the marines anymore.

Also regarding what the other guy said.. that's an odd assumption too... there only being 3 admirals doesn't mean that there can only be Sanji, Zoro, and Luffy. Chances that all three of them will end up fighting are really slim.. that was really random lol..
I agree. And I'm pretty sure that Jinbei and Luffy will go against Akainu together. I don't even think they will fight every Admiral. Aokoji seems to be a nice guy I don't think there is a real reason for them to fight him. Kizaru and Akainu on other hand both still have a score to settle with the straw hats (Kizaru unable to catch them on Sabaody, Akainu unable to kill Luffy and Jinbei).
Old 2011-12-01, 20:20   Link #138
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
@Prinnydood:
Right, Sengoku resigned. Why was that again, though? Because of some measures taken by Akainu he wasn't conform with, wasn't it something like that? There's so much going on in the world of One Piece that it's hard for me to keep up with all the information.
Old 2011-12-01, 20:37   Link #139
Prinnydood
Madness Through Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGoten View Post
@Prinnydood:
Right, Sengoku resigned. Why was that again, though? Because of some measures taken by Akainu he wasn't conform with, wasn't it something like that? There's so much going on in the world of One Piece that it's hard for me to keep up with all the information.

Cause he's getting oldd along with Garp. Also he was sick of how the World Government was dealing with the situation with the lvl 6 prisoners that escaped from Impel down. Like he was going to have the marines release the original wanted posters for the ones that escaped because it'd be really dangerous for any one of them to be free, but the world government said to not do anything about it and decided to cover it up so that the people of the world wouldn't lose faith in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jouten View Post
I agree. And I'm pretty sure that Jinbei and Luffy will go against Akainu together. I don't even think they will fight every Admiral. Aokoji seems to be a nice guy I don't think there is a real reason for them to fight him. Kizaru and Akainu on other hand both still have a score to settle with the straw hats (Kizaru unable to catch them on Sabaody, Akainu unable to kill Luffy and Jinbei).

They'll probably fight Akainu for sure, but Kizaru maybe.. maybe not. During the war Kizaru actually allowed Luffy to escape. He had the opportunity to kill him plenty of times like when he would kick him out of the way and at the very end when he did that attack while Law's crew was escaping in their submarine with Luffy and Jinbie. Then he mentioned that if they survived that then they should just leave it at that and consider them lucky. It was as if he was directing that statement to Akainu. Telling him to stand down for now.
Old 2011-12-01, 21:07   Link #140
AvalonCode

If Jinbei joins maybe he will teach Luffy fishman karate.

What did U say?! I didn't think so
Closed Thread