AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-04-14, 11:31   Link #221
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm certainly glad *someone* isn't doing the fansubs... I can barely read some of this. O.o
Seriously, if someone bothers to post and wants to be understood, take a little time to spell, eh?

@Sorrow-K: heh, obviously ymmv ... Girls Bravo is the first manga I ever resold after reading it and the anime..... I'm just glad I didn't *buy* it (borrowed it). However, I'm not going to *defend* this "Gilligan" series as some kind of literary masterpiece ... it *is* after all pastiched extended vaudeville skit with lots of obvious references. If I'm pressed for bandwidth, it'll lose the choice.
But something about the art drawing style is appealing and its no worse than watching old variety show skits I suppose. It sounds like the manga (so far) doesn't go anywhere serious either. But when I have bandwidth to spare I'll probably keep watching for now.... several of the other series I was watching from last season appear "fansub DOA" anyway.
Sometimes I think its kind of interesting mapping what you and I like and don't like -- we have these odd patches of non-overlap

@et al: Silly fun and pretty girls.... so it goes.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-04-14 at 11:41.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 11:52   Link #222
Blizzer
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

I can't help feeling Nagasarete Airantou is missing something, personally, I found the attempts at humour to be humourless, most of the jokes are "heh..." instead of "Lol."

Also as someone else has said, it's obvious he is going to end up with Suzu. As a harem anime this isn't great but it's a decent time waster.

P.S. As I saw it there is a way off the island.
He could build a Glider/Boat. As the mountain gives him so much clearance he can glide from the summit, over the whirlpool and land out at sea, but it would kind of ruin the story.
Blizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 12:05   Link #223
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~

Send a message via AIM to Owaranai Destiny Send a message via MSN to Owaranai Destiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post

@et al: Silly fun and pretty girls.... so it goes.
You forgot the BLOOD.
Nothing too serious, really, but Ikuto really does seem like an excellent meal for vampires at the rate the fanservice is being dished out.

Quote:
Also as someone else has said, it's obvious he is going to end up with Suzu. As a harem anime this isn't great but it's a decent time waster.
Indeed. It's good, mindless fun I suppose. I choose to treat it as a break in between the more serious or gory anime shows I'm following (Claymore), which is why IMO, we shouldn't treat it too seriously to the extent that it ruins the purpose of watching NA.
Owaranai Destiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 13:09   Link #224
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Disagree with that. Girls Bravo was a rather fun series, IMO. This is very stale and annoying at this stage.
WHAT!!!!!!? You are not the real Sorrow-K. I demand you return the real Sorrow-K to us.

Sorrow-K can still surprise me once in a while.

P.S. To the general fans of the show who are also familiar with the manga: Please do not reveal any manga spoilers, or provide any hints. The anime-only viewers are bound to find out in due time by watching the anime. All manga spoilers that reveals future event, even under spoiler tags, will be deleted from here on.

Last edited by monir; 2007-04-14 at 14:54.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 13:37   Link #225
Pakxenon
popcorn

I haven't watched past "stuck on an island full of girls" anime before, so I'm enjoying this very much. Lots of mindless comedy and extremely cute characters. Favourite parts of episode 2 had to be the boob shots of Suzu (Ikuto's face in them, "touching" them for the win, Ayane's jealousy, etc..), and then the part where she slams the giant panda face down.

And as predictable as it might be, we all know that by the end of the series Suzu is the clear winner. For now, let's just enjoy the mindless episodic action in progress!
Pakxenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 13:44   Link #226
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Seen episode 2.

-> Well, that's more hilarious than the first one. Ikuto getting chased all over by girls....dunno if that would be a dream come true to him...or maybe a nightmare.
-> Ikuto x Suzu's relationship is..I guess it's starting now no? Though, both sides haven't or will take time to realize that.
-> Akane getting thrown out and beat down is funny. I feel sorry for her.
-> Out of all the characters so far, I find Chikage and Machi....evil. Let's see...Chikage's wierdness and Machi's "Higurashi-like" attitude.
-> It's quite amusing how Suzu fend off the incoming attackers
-> Well, in the end Suzu won. Ikuto touched her breast by accident...and...chaos continues
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Cyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 14:30   Link #227
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

I'm not home right now, so I can't make a proper long post. It looks like some people had posted some manga-related info, but looks like they were deleted before I could see them.

I would like to know where everyone is on the manga first, so I can figure out how much you guys already know and how I should tailor my post.
Old 2007-04-14, 14:49   Link #228
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Well, seen ep 2, and i am enjoying it quite a bit. I like the humor, and it is a good dose of mindless fun.

Yes, it might be cliched, the characters are nothing but archetypes etc...so what ? Main question for me is - does the anime entertain me? If the answer is "yes", then it is good, and i don't care much about the rest. It doesn't take itself seriously by any means, so it is all good.

It might not have deep characters, meaningful lessons about life and what not... sorry, don't care. That alone doesn't make it bad - i am watching anime to enjoy it, and if the series manage to do that by working with what they have in store - it has succeeded.

If the elements of a show are not placed together in a manner that seems interesting to me for whatever reason, i am not going to watch it, even if the plot would be nothing short of epic and the characters would be 5 dimensional with deeper personalities than Mariana Trench.

Does this entertain me and do i find it a fun, enjoyable experience? - Yes. That is all i need to keep watching. As for comparing this with Girls Bravo... i think i like this one better.
Old 2007-04-14, 14:55   Link #229
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinova View Post
I would like to know where everyone is on the manga first, so I can figure out how much you guys already know and how I should tailor my post.
Just to be clear, let's keep the manga discussion out of this thread since this thread is dedicated to the anime counterpart. Feel free to create a thread for this title in the manga section of the forum for any further discussion regarding the manga.

I suppose I should also highlight the portion of my preivous post where I mentioned any further future references and hints from the manga will be deleted from here on. Just to reiterate what I mentioned earlier:
To the general fans of the show who are also familiar with the manga: Please do not reveal any manga spoilers, or provide any hints. The anime-only viewers are bound to find out in due time by watching the anime. All manga spoilers that reveals future event, even under spoiler tags, will be deleted from here on.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 15:08   Link #230
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Not reading the manga, not planning to. So there - nothing to post for you! Muahahah *cough* ... got to work on my evil laugh... seriously - there is a manga thread, why not use it ? 0_o
Old 2007-04-14, 16:48   Link #231
holyman282
Snape: "I hate Potter!"

Quote:
I'm not home right now, so I can't make a proper long post. It looks like some people had posted some manga-related info, but looks like they were deleted before I could see them.

I've only read up to the scanlated chapter, so no spoilers further than that or do it in a separate manga section
holyman282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 17:12   Link #232
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Its not really a survey.... this is the anime thread, not the manga thread (see monir's post above, eh?). Even in the manga thread, you should probably consider tagging major revelations after the first few chapters.
Old 2007-04-14, 17:36   Link #233
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Its silly -- gilligan on an island full of girls. The girls are relatively cute... vaudeville silly "hello nurse!!!!" hijinks ensue. Jerry Lewis, um... oops wrong script....

Anyway, looks like the pretty girls are cutely drawn and each is a parody of some other anime heroine (Negima: Kaede, Utawarerumono: Ururu on Critter, DOA: Kasumi.... the rest is left as an exercise for the student).

So far its quite a bit LESS annoying than Girls Bravo (which was basically obnoxious from start to finish) but I can see the parallels.
I know the Gilligan thing is inevitable, but it really doesn't do Ikuto justice - he's actually rather clever and quite adaptable - other than the nosebleeds, of course.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 17:55   Link #234
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

To be marginally serious, his dialog has been decent (though the abusive dad flashback had me rolling my eyes a bit --- dad didn't seem to have any goal or motivation other than "beat me then we'll talk and oh, ya can't beat me"). He's not clumsy as such, he's not clueless --- so the "gilligan" label really doesn't work .... so I won't be using that again.

The nosebleeds almost interfere with appreciating the girls, he's so volcanic. I guess I'd prefer the "frozen in tracks jawdrop" to "nosebleed" but its traditional.
Old 2007-04-14, 18:13   Link #235
holyman282
Snape: "I hate Potter!"

Quote:
The nosebleeds almost interfere with appreciating the girls, he's so volcanic. I guess I'd prefer the "frozen in tracks jawdrop" to "nosebleed" but its traditional.
I know what you mean! Everytime I see the beautiful ecchi figure of suzu, before i can truly enjoy the sight, my screen is tainted by Ikuto's damn nosebleed! I mean come on enough is enough, Ikuto is a decent enough main character but that nose of his can't be normal, he needs medical attention!

Last edited by holyman282; 2007-04-14 at 19:00.
holyman282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 18:22   Link #236
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Aye, if there is one thing annoying about the series, it is the excessive nosebleeding. It was funny (or not so) for the first few times, but now it is getting boring. I mean - the writers aren't that uncreative - i am sure they can come up with something else ... i wonder if he will ever stop nosebleeding when faced with Suzu
Old 2007-04-14, 18:32   Link #237
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
The nosebleeds really do get too be too much. I agree on that whole-heartedly. I've been reading the manga today, and so far the nosebleeds are a lot less obtrusive there.

Other than the excessive nosebleed factor, I think the anime is doing an awesome job of retaining and even tremendously improving upon the slapstick of this series (not by changing it, but by presenting it in motion masterfully). It's easy to ignore people who complain about lack of drama or it not being deep enough. It has just enough of those to keep the comedy fueled, and that's all it has to have.

I don't even think the setting is to allow for fanservice, which, when it appears seems to be incidental rather than overt. I think it's just to be absurd. It's humor really shines as the girls show their "sinister" sides.

I haven't laughed out loud so much at a show in a long time.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 18:51   Link #238
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Yes, it might be cliched, the characters are nothing but archetypes etc...so what ? Main question for me is - does the anime entertain me? If the answer is "yes", then it is good, and i don't care much about the rest. It doesn't take itself seriously by any means, so it is all good.
That's probably the most important question in a series like this and believe me, I'm asking it to. I'm just coming up with "no". It's purely a taste thing, though. I recently watched both series of Amaenaideyo! and found that incredibly entertaining, and there's no hiding the fact that that's a low-brow harem. I guess it just had a cast of characters and style of humour that clicked with me. This just... doesn't. Well, at this stage anyway.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-14, 19:06   Link #239
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Agree on the taste matter This is something that works for me (I found Amaenaideyo! hilarious as well), and i am not expecting anything more from it - i am here for fun, and as long i am provided with it i am content

... perhaps it has something to do that i haven't watched comedy in a good while (aside from Hayate...recently started Mahoraba as well) and had been watching a lot of dramatic/angsty stuff (Fafner being the latest in that addition... angsftest to its fullest ), so maybe i am having humor withdrawal ... but for whatever reason i find this one very much to my liking.
Old 2007-04-14, 20:55   Link #240
Seiryuu

Baba's suggestion shortly before the oni-gokko was really very sharp. If Ikuto eventually decides to raise a family, a responsible parent should do what he can to raise his kids right AND to ensure that they have the opportunity to pursue happiness for themselves. This means making it possible for them to find love, have kids, and feel somewhat secure that their grandkids aren't going to have three arms or two heads on account of excessive inbreeding. In terms of population dynamics, there is no problem with one male and countless females, or even just one man and woman, given certain circumstances:
If it's down to one man and woman, then it becomes necessary to have very, VERY many children in order to maintain at least a minimal level of genetic diversity to ensure a healthy population.
Even this can be risky unless you have the sort of time Adam and Eve reputedly had(about 900 years) to have a seriously massive brood. Far better is one male shared amongst all females, providing potentially a large population with significant genetic variation. In social terms too this is best, since selecting only one would leave all the other girls miserable, lonely, and FRUSTRATED. And considering the apparent psyches of these girls, the chosen bride will be either alienated or murdered. The only way to ensure a happy life for one or for all would be for Ikuto to give in and let himself be shared amongst all the girls. Many men's dream come true, but I think it would quickly inspire anyone caught in such a situation to dedicate his life to finding a way to get everyone off the island or at least get a few more guys ON it. No one could have enough stamina, especially with that giant.
I've read a little manga, but I don't remember too well and I don't remember that huge woman. All I know is she makes me think of an episode of Futurama, where men are captured by 8-foot Amazon women and generally sentenced to death by crushed pelvis...
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, ecchi, fantasy, harem, romance, shounen