AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-16, 12:50   Link #21
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The Americans and Japanese swap shows for Transformers most of the time. (The Americans had never took the later G1 Transformers shows the Japanese made after the American penned episodes ended, nor Beast Wars 2 (the animated Breast Wars series as oppose to the Canadian CGI series).
Old 2013-02-01, 19:34   Link #22
ProDigit

Re-visiting some old thread, I have to say there's a lot of valuable info posted in this thread!

I do think that the X-generation is more left behind than the Y-generation.
X-generation more or less wants a more scientific anime, where the level of realism as well as the level of fantasy is very high, while the Y-generation generally prefers low realism and low fantasy. Meaning, they prefer seeing someone do a 9 to 5 job on TV, than actually doing a job, coming home, and finding an escape from this oh-so burdensome world!
To the X-generation, it's like eating a stale dessert.

Also, the X-generation indeed has grown, and where before it's capacity in sensing the level of realism in an anime was low (eg: when I was 12 years old, almost all anime looked good), now this generation is in their thirties, and for something to grab them, it has to be a very good series; in the likes of Naruto/Bleach/Death Note, or even Avatar (the movie), or Prometheus. Something like Astro Boy does not speak to anyone but perhaps a 5 year old (and even then, I wonder if it's good to show them garbage like this; not meaning the ep is garbage, but the level of realism is so low, that the kid more than likely will choose to forget this episode, because it's just too far off it's world realism around him).
Old 2013-02-01, 19:38   Link #23
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Most of the anime today are fan driven rather than plot/originality/story telling driven, which I mean that the authors want to tell a story with a story, goal, and moral to tell.

Many are good though but some are just for fan interest IMHO. Yeah, it has an appeal but lacks sense focusing on what the fans want to see and not what the author wants to tell
Old 2013-02-01, 20:10   Link #24
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

The problem begins with the Chronic One-Cour Syndrome. If financing firms like Aniplex support the production of anime series without caring for how many episodes it would take, we'd give more leeway for the production teams to create smoother stories.

Of course, given the sheer number of series that wanted to be released, it is impossible.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2013-02-01, 20:50   Link #25
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
I suppose fantastical elements aren't as common as they once were. I also notice people are a lot harsher on sci-fi/fantasy shows as people aren't able to take things in context as well as they can with more down to earth shows that have a closer resemblance to our modern society and world. I like the later more than the former, but I would definitely say my ability to look for more imaginative settings in anime and analyze them in a more interesting manner to have been fairly rusty.

Though I also resent the idea that a story that doesn't involve action and explosions to be pointless too.

In the end, said perception of my own is more due to laziness than anything else-- in actuality, I think that anime is fine atm, and sometimes people don't look hard enough to find variety.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2013-02-01, 20:59   Link #26
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

^ I can totally agree with that. There's so many Frodos lately. ("Why didn't they just fly the Ring to Mordor?") That and people tend to be more harsh when it comes to adaptations. ("Why isn't Little Busters made by KyoAni?" "Where's the action in Maoyuu?" "Where the heck is Chapter 16.5?!")
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Old 2013-02-01, 21:02   Link #27
judasmartel
*Author

Wow, KyoAni sure is so good. It's as if an anime is a guaranteed sell if KyoAni does it. I don't know much about studios, but how good exactly is KyoAni?
Old 2013-02-01, 21:04   Link #28
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
^ I can totally agree with that. There's so many Frodos lately. ("Why didn't they just fly the Ring to Mordor?") That and people tend to be more harsh when it comes to adaptations. ("Why isn't Little Busters made by KyoAni?" "Where's the action in Maoyuu?" "Where the heck is Chapter 16.5?!")
Yea, when I mean failure to take in context, it means also a failure to respect the story's internal logic. It's okay to not like the internal logic but without suspension of disbelief we'd get some really dull and short stories.

"Peter Parker gets bitten by a radioactive spider... then shits his pants and dies. The End."

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
Wow, KyoAni sure is so good. It's as if an anime is a guaranteed sell if KyoAni does it. I don't know much about studios, but how good exactly is KyoAni?
They sell well and they have a nice niche, but I don't think they have the Midas touch. I mean JC Staff and Little Busters is doing great despite the numerous complaints of adaptation quality, so me thinks that having big name titles just is an inherent advantage.

Personally, I don't think they are particularly special outside of Haruhi, FMP, and Key. Compared to the giants like Sunrise or whatnot, they're pretty small fry. But I haven't enjoyed a series of theirs since Clannad AS so YMMV...

Though they are very good at faithfully duplicating stuff. Lucky Star is very faithful to the 4koma, really.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2013-02-01, 21:10   Link #29
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
They are bad at doing mecha, which was why Full Metal Panic ended up being the only one. As for original shows they failed at doing one years ago but they are trying their luck now. Right now they are headed to family-friendly-esque fare.
Old 2013-02-01, 21:12   Link #30
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
KyoAni has been synonymous with cuteness with drama (Haruhi, Hyouka and Chuunibyou come to mind), and KyoAni has made the anime adaptations of Air and Clannad, both from Key, so people also attach KyoAni with Key works, although the last Key-related work, Angel Beats! was made by P.A. Works.

Also, J.C. Staff has been known for having "questionable" quality when it comes to animation. Some even point out that the scenes in the Little Busters! anime required more than just a quick sound effect and static image with movement transitions. Also, they are known for having people who handles the story poorly (YMMV, and is not really a problem with the animation studio). [However, they are quite stellar in making backgrounds look good. See Toaru Majutsu no Index.]

I can't blame them for wishing that KyoAni should have gotten the adaptation instead of J.C., but what's done is done. Shikata ga nai.

Old 2013-02-01, 21:19   Link #31
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Index looks rather good and they seem to be pouring funds into that movie, while LB definitely got Shafted, aka it looks somewhat cheap and half assed. Though not in the Studio Shaft way where it looks artistically cheap and half assed.

There is no doubt LB would have looked better of it were Kyoani, though I'm not sure if Kyoani would be the godsend to the script though. IMO for Key, only Clannad's script felt fluid... I mean people praise Kyoani for being the definitive adapter to Key and is far above all else, while in reality the only other major comparison was Toei... meaning they win by default.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2013-02-01, 21:24   Link #32
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
I could be completely wrong about this,but what are the demographics for people buying anime Blurays in Japan?

I would think odds are there's quite a few people in their 30s on that list (due to how costly they are I wouldn't expect lots of highschool students and college students to be able to afford them),so I would think they have their say in what the market should look like (for late night anime of course).
Old 2013-02-01, 21:35   Link #33
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
There is no doubt LB would have looked better of it were Kyoani, though I'm not sure if Kyoani would be the godsend to the script though. IMO for Key, only Clannad's script felt fluid... I mean people praise Kyoani for being the definitive adapter to Key and is far above all else, while in reality the only other major comparison was Toei... meaning they win by default.
So Key is to KyoAni as NisioisiN is to SHAFT?

Old 2013-02-01, 21:44   Link #34
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I don't know... Right now, we have Shin Sekai Yori, Psycho-Pass, and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. None of those are your classic moe-driven otaku-centric shows, imo. All of them care a great deal about their stories and plots, and feature a fair deal of action. And if you look at the AnimeSuki Choice Awards, these are the three anime shows that are getting the most praise and recognition out of currently airing/very recent shows.

Last Spring we had Fate/Zero, which is currently killing it in the AnimeSuki Choice Awards and which also sold marvelously. That's another show where the plot/story definitely does matter, and it's another anime that's not exactly moe-driven.

These gems may be few and far between, but then the gems of any medium are few and far between. That's partly what makes them gems after all. It's a bit much to expect a Madoka Magica or Fate/Zero caliber show (or more!) to be airing each and every season. I just hope there's at least one a year.
Old 2013-02-01, 22:07   Link #35
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Re-visiting some old thread, I have to say there's a lot of valuable info posted in this thread!

X-generation more or less wants a more scientific anime, where the level of realism as well as the level of fantasy is very high, while the Y-generation generally prefers low realism and low fantasy. Meaning, they prefer seeing someone do a 9 to 5 job on TV, than actually doing a job, coming home, and finding an escape from this oh-so burdensome world!
To the X-generation, it's like eating a stale dessert.
I think your argument is no more true now than it was a year and a half ago.

You can't just try to rationalize the shifts in the anime industry as the "generational divide" because you can't generalize what an entire generation "wants". According to your profile anyway, I'm two years younger than you; technically not "Generation X" I think. But, at the same time, I've had none of the same experiences you had and so none of the same expectations in terms of what "anime should be", and I don't think that's because of the "generational divide". Not everyone your age wants what you want (and likewise for people "my age").

I think this whole thing is trying to come up with a grand narrative as to why the anime industry isn't doing what you wish it would do, and as I've said in multiple similar threads, the problem may not be with the industry; the problem could just be that your tastes haven't changed even though the rest of the world has. That's unfortunate, but not necessarily the industry's fault.

That aside, looking at it from the opposite angle, there's a pretty reasonable logic that could explain why anime doesn't appeal as much to "Generation X": because they form an ever-decreasing part of the audience no matter what. As people get older, and many get married and start families (etc.), the time they have for hobbies like anime diminishes as the competition for time and attention grows more fierce. So shows that are specifically designed to appeal to that age group will be less frequent than ones designed to appeal to teenagers and people in their 20s, who form a larger portion of the audience. However, there are definitely shows that exist specifically for that older group; consider the numerous remakes and reboots of old franchises over the last few years, designed to play purely upon nostalgia and that'll be pretty much meaningless to the younger generations who are quite unlikely to "get it".

Anyway, I'm a bit depressed that this conversation hasn't evolved at all over the last 19+ months, particularly given how many other similar threads we've also had in the interim. How many more "anime is not catering to my tastes any more" threads do we need?

(All that aside, I don't think *any* of the anime I like can be described as "seeing someone do a 9 to 5 job on TV". Maybe I just have a different definition of what is "fantastical" and "escapist". So-called "slice of life" shows are rarely all that realistic in their setting or presentation, and the ones that *are* tend to be targeted at older audiences who can appreciate the subtle realism of the piece. So I find myself a bit puzzled about this point as well. Is it just that the average anime isn't fantastical in the specific way you wish it would be?)

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-02-02 at 03:33. Reason: correction as pointed out below
Old 2013-02-01, 22:17   Link #36
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

I think the failing for a lot of people is just not a realization that things aren't mutually exclusive or that one is somehow inherently more meaningful while there should be multiple modes of which you should engage anime. You don't have to have futuristic or supernatural elements to be escapist, for example.

Of course, one doesn't have to switch modes at all. It's all good when they enjoy it, but to try and generalize all of it through such a narrow narrative seems too shortsighted.

Also I know this post is old, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
Full-frontal female nudity becomes norm in mainstream anime like Seikon no Qwaser and Yosuga no Sora.
Lies. Unless light beams are also standard.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2013-02-01, 22:21   Link #37
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Should we get everyone over the age of 35 to chime in as well?

I'm certainly always "on the hunt" for anime with college or workplace settings, romance comedy/drama with college-age or older adults. They're out there (though sometimes almost covert - like "Youkai Otome Zakuro", etc.)

Frankly, I don't see any connection with age versus content. A bigger driver seems to be whatever elements first attracted someone to this entertainment medium. They don't always adapt well as the trends come and go.
Old 2013-02-01, 22:29   Link #38
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
How many more "anime is [not] catering to my tastes any more" threads do we need?
13,473 +/- 37.

I don't usually participate in these discussions, but I'll jump in on this one. I find most of these types of complaints result from a failure to accept one or more of these premises:

1) Anime is made for Japanese audiences. Overseas viewers are icing on the cake.

2) Anime is made for Japanese viewers who purchase anime-related products, be they DVDs and BDs, music and drama CDs, toys, manga, light novels, games, or other related merchandise like statuettes and dakimakara. Again, overseas sales are nice, but rarely do production committees make decisions based on the tastes of foreign viewers.

3) Most of the people in (2) are largely males between 12 and 30 years of age. Programs that appeal to them will be made in greater numbers than others. Thus we see lots of shows about high school and lots of shows with cute girls.

The current generation of Japanese anime viewers may have tastes similar to yours, or they may not. Them's the breaks, as they say. As a "boomer" nearing retirement age, shows like those in (3) do not attract my interest except when the story is sufficiently unique or entertaining. I wish there were more shows like Hyouge Mono or Space Brothers, but that isn't in the cards. Luckily there are some more mainstream shows that I enjoy, but most of them fall into the female demographics ("shoujo" and "josei") like Kamisama Hajimemashita or Chihayafuru to take two recent examples. As a result,

(4) I never expect to find more than a handful of shows to watch in any given season. The mode is probably 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Most of the anime today are fan driven rather than plot/originality/story telling driven
I don't know if the reverse was ever true, but I think Genji has a good insight into how the market works today.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2013-02-01 at 22:46.
Old 2013-02-01, 22:35   Link #39
judasmartel
*Author

Somehow, this thread reminded me of two other threads sometime ago. But at least this one did not FAIL to respectfully express that anime nowadays does not cater to the OP anymore.

I was like, "Nice try, dude" when the OP of those two threads made an EPIC FAIL on the second one.
Old 2013-02-01, 22:38   Link #40
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Should we get everyone over the age of 35 to chime in as well?

I'm certainly always "on the hunt" for anime with college or workplace settings, romance comedy/drama with college-age or older adults. They're out there (though sometimes almost covert - like "Youkai Otome Zakuro", etc.)

Frankly, I don't see any connection with age versus content. A bigger driver seems to be whatever elements first attracted someone to this entertainment medium. They don't always adapt well as the trends come and go.
Well, admittingly, there's too many people that will say they've "outgrown" something. Of course, this is just a futile effort to convince others of sophistication. I'm just going to say that an actually sophisticated person isn't going to say "I'm totally sophisticated.

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Closed Thread