AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hyouka

Notices

Old 2012-03-16, 00:27   Link #201
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
Excuse me, but you talking out from your ass there. Who tell you that? as far animation quality concerned KyoAni is the best on business and all of Animation/sakuga enthusiast will admit that.

I'm not Kyoani fanboy, but even from that preview.. u seeing some nice demonstration of KyoAni high quality. Its not slideshow fest like Another for sure.
I'm just saying they aren't leaps and bounds ahead of the crowd anymore. And if you K-ONify your art style to make it more fluid, I'd hardly think that deserves much credit, you're simplifying your designs for fluidity.

And regardless of whether or not there a few more FPS in it, it doesn't even look that great because again of these character designs with chipmunk faces look pretty bad to me. I still think K-ON! was the absolute worst thing to happen to this studio (From a personal taste point of view, of course they're rolling in cash with this franchise).
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 00:28   Link #202
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

The likes of Full Metal panic and Haruhi Suzumiya seem but a distant memory. And when I thought it couldn't get any worse than Nichijou and K-ON...Kyoani proves once again that all they do anymore is cater to retard-moe loving pervs.
Old 2012-03-16, 00:45   Link #203
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Looking at the PV again I think I'm gonna play a drinking game while watching this anime,take a shot everytime a characters winks.
Old 2012-03-16, 00:56   Link #204
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Don't die of alcohol poisoning from that. It looks like a frequent thing.
Old 2012-03-16, 00:57   Link #205
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

^I know, right? I think I counted about 6 winks in that trailer, the bulk of which were from that Satoshi dude. Gawd.

Anyway, the PV looks nice. Makes me want to watch it a lot more.

And gawd, THOSE EYES. D: Dunno if I should be impressed/mesmerized, find them cute, or be deeply CREEPED OUT by them. I'm just gonna choose all of the above.
Old 2012-03-16, 00:59   Link #206
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

the thing im truly worried is not that it turns out boring, its that it turns boring and become a comercial succes, because then kyoani will become a waste of good animation, but in the end i still have faith in how things will turn out good.
Old 2012-03-16, 01:24   Link #207
amatakamata
4koma and web manga fan

Heh, It seems KyoAni amplified the moe-ness of the series by 500% .
I'm not complaining though, considering while I enjoyed the first novel, it was actually pretty bland (though it does get much better in the later volumes), especially if you're more used to read otaku-oriented light novel. So yeah, they will need any improvement they can get.

Last edited by amatakamata; 2012-03-16 at 01:37.
amatakamata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 01:54   Link #208
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Expect yes at this point. They've been stuck doing the same thing for too long. I dock this studio points for such a flat effort.
At least it's not four girls this time. For KyoAni, that's change you can believe in.

You know, the PV was fine. It's KyoAni - it's cute kids in a school, and gorgeously animated. I don't expect anything else, and certainly not from a preview.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 02:19   Link #209
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Just take the old Minami-ke approach. "Please don't expect much"

KyoAni hasn't failed to amuse me yet (though I've still not watched Munto...or Air, but I can't make myself watch Air...there is just something in the opening song that triggers tears. Like a specific minor key I must have heard a long time ago that brings memories of sadness).
Old 2012-03-16, 05:05   Link #210
rulfo

Oh boy... Here we go again... People using that word again as if they know what it means.

Oh general anime viewers when will you stop the stupid bandwagon.

I'd appreciate it if they said the word cute/cutesy rather than using that defiled word based off their bias preferences.

Like Iñigo Montoya says....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iñigo Montoya
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
I'm not being an expert here but if you're gonna be this anal then better get your facts straight first.

Last edited by rulfo; 2012-03-16 at 05:29.
rulfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 05:15   Link #211
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
You know... I think this PV is misleading. I was totally expecting a happy go lucky song with moe left and right, but instead we got some baroque period classical music and nearly all the moe was in the form of purple eye spam. Art style hasn't changed since K-on though so I'm not impressed by that. Animation was fluid except for that horrid CG pan at the start.

However, it was... incredibly boring and didn't invoke any reaction for me. I was expecting to facepalm if it was all moe moe kyun kyun to be honest, but it didn't even evoke that! . Then again, this is a PV and you should never judge a book by its cover.

But to folks who thinks this is some incredible amazing animation, -_-'. It's good but I've seen better. For example you can bash Guilty Crown all you like, but you can't deny that's some pretty damn good eye candy. Or just go watch Redline from last year... (/still angry that it didnt even win a single award in the 2012 AS awards), or even Hanasaku Iroha.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 05:27   Link #212
rulfo

^^

If you were talking about the bounce then yeah it was quite off but still that turn around was pretty sweet.

I guess the bounce was too high/overdone. That view seems from a camera's POV rather than the character's POV. Pretty much when an eye locks on to something you would hardly realize a bounce while you walk normally.
Old 2012-03-16, 05:28   Link #213
Rethice
Kingslayer

Send a message via AIM to Rethice Send a message via MSN to Rethice
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
However, it was... incredibly boring and didn't invoke any reaction for me. I was expecting to facepalm if it was all moe moe kyun kyun to be honest, but it didn't even evoke that! . Then again, this is a PV and you should never judge a book by its cover.
Boring? I think that's a very strange thing to say, all things considered.

You're of course not going to get anything exciting in a slice of life PV - in fact it will be rare to get much action in a slice of life whatsoever. Perhaps, to quote yourself, your expectations of a "Moe moe kyun kyun" just put you into a mindset of expecting something more hyperactive. I mean, I know your tastes in anime, I'm sure if Production IG released the exact same PV you'd have been interested due to your pre determined expectations, and paying attention more to what seems to be a relatively solid atmosphere.

I may just be overly optimistic, but I think it's still worth giving KyoAni the benefit of the doubt, maybe there wasn't any "moe moe kyun kyun" in the PV because it might have something with a bit more depth. You like dialogue heavy shows like Bakemonogatari, right? Judging by the focus on character interaction on this PV, maybe we can hope for something with a little more brain power than what KyoAni has given us lately (Except for Haruhi). If anything I think a PV like this is a ray of hope. The KyoAni art style I've come to quite like with perhaps a more interesting story than cakes - would be nice don't you think?

Old 2012-03-16, 07:12   Link #214
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
The likes of Full Metal panic and Haruhi Suzumiya seem but a distant memory. And when I thought it couldn't get any worse than Nichijou and K-ON...Kyoani proves once again that all they do anymore is cater to retard-moe loving pervs.
That's a bit harsh. While I do think the plot is not that engaging, there is a definite story that isn't driven by characters with moe tropes doing "fun" things; the characters' personalities aren't really otaku catering at all. It's more like solving smaller mysteries that are connected to a bigger mystery with a crew of lazy, self-centric, Watsonlike, and sharp-tongued members. While not really moe, the other series that KyoAni's animating's much more catering to otaku interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulfo View Post
Well judging by the reactions from the ones who read(?) I'm quite curious why this won an award if it was that bad.
Take everything said on internet with a grain of salt, I know I can be overly critical at times. I've read positive reviews for the series (wouldn't have started reading it otherwise). The award Hyouka (the first book of the Classic Literature Club series) won is just Honorable Mention, so it's not that big at all.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 07:25   Link #215
rulfo

^^

That makes more sense then. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 2012-03-16, 07:36   Link #216
kona~chan
ヘタレ

watch the PV somehow the atmosphere really remind me of bungaku shoujo alot...
well the novel itself looks very promising to me and with kyoani handle the anime look i'll really love this show.
kona~chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 08:19   Link #217
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I predict it's going to be moe moe kyun characters solving mysteries apparently no one else can by accidentally falling ass backwards into the solution while goofing around and not really putting any effort and ingenuity into solving it. Also probably plenty of otaku in-jokes worked in there as well or something to try and spark a meme that also possibly results in people claiming Kyoani is trolling it's audience but with a type reaction instead of a one.

Also I kind of have to agree with the sentiment that Kyoani shows frequently feature some of the worst character designs, but that at least the animation looks good. Considering they've worked with this type of setting pretty much exclusively (sunlit schools, inner city roads with cars passing by at night, rain) since the very moment they became popular though I'd almost have to have expected them to master animating these sorts of backgrounds now. It's easily their bread and butter, which they give an update to every few years or so.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-16, 08:46   Link #218
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

If there's one thing you can never insult Kyoto Animation on, it's the animation. Fluidity and the incredibly high frame rates just doesn't compare to other series. Their only stumble was the K-ON! but that still look relatively good with their trademark fluidity and they did make up for it with K-ON!! looking drop dead gorgeous.

I still think Nichijou is one of the best animated series I have ever seen. Not once have I seen such creativity and consistency in animation for a TV-series.

This is just animation talking though. It's not like I'm the biggest fan when it comes to everything else. Looking at Hyou-ka though, its almost a given this is one of the lookers this season (along with Apollon). Story-wise though, i don't know.
Old 2012-03-16, 08:51   Link #219
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I want to lick the main girls' eyes.

It looks pretty but the PV was indeed boring.
Old 2012-03-16, 09:04   Link #220
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I predict it's going to be moe moe kyun characters solving mysteries apparently no one else can by accidentally falling ass backwards into the solution while goofing around and not really putting any effort and ingenuity into solving it. Also probably plenty of otaku in-jokes worked in there as well or something to try and spark a meme that also possibly results in people claiming Kyoani is trolling it's audience but with a type reaction instead of a one.
I'm speechless at this.

I'm all for criticisms but seriously guys? If I want to bash a series without actually knowing what I'm talking about I would be at 4chan and not here (despite 4chan quite often than not have more informative posts that here nowadays ...).

EDIT: Music in the PV for anyone who cares.

Last edited by Kunagisa; 2012-03-16 at 09:18.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adaptation, shounen, slice of life