AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kannagi

Notices

View Poll Results: Kannagi - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 16 31.37%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 10 19.61%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 9 17.65%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 15.69%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 11.76%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.96%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.96%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-12-25, 00:14   Link #21
Ottocycle

I guess it's because so many "plot-based" shows proliferate and nary an episode goes by without some new shocking plot development or twist.
So when a character-centred show like Kannagi comes along and puts forward an episode whose main point was to show the mood, that's probably how they react.
Old 2008-12-25, 01:21   Link #22
musouka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
That's not really anime's fault. If you watch manga then you know that the inexperienced mangaka just shows her inexperience by not able to find a true rhythm that it want to go - drama or comedy, comedy or drama...
Yeah, pretty much. Kannagi is very much a diamond in the rough series, though she does improve somewhat as the series progresses.
ずっと変りはしない
Old 2008-12-25, 01:52   Link #23
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathory Area View Post
I think ep 12 was wasted... nothing special happened and we didn't even find out much.. bleh.. maybe it was a depressing filler?
Um... wow, maybe you need to watch it a few more times??
Old 2008-12-25, 02:24   Link #24
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathory Area View Post
I think ep 12 was wasted... nothing special happened and we didn't even find out much.. bleh.. maybe it was a depressing filler?
Uhmm..Let me guess you are TsugumixJin shipper, maybe? And since it didn't had the couple you ship you decided to call it a filler?

Other than that I cannot see why would you call this episode a filler.
Old 2008-12-25, 02:47   Link #25
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Its *very* common in "comedy romance" anime for the series to use comedy to get you involved with the characters and get attached to them. Then when you're all vulnerable, they hurl the drama at you....
Nah, he's right, the anime looked like it had ditched the story completely, and honestly it was doing fine without it, but the sudden change back to taking things seriously is a bit jarring if you're used to the comedic antics of the past several weeks. Attempting a balance is hard with shows in this genre (I hate the term romantic comedy or what have you) but Kannagi really was jumping off in different directions and just running with it.

;p

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Old 2008-12-25, 02:48   Link #26
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Uhmm..Let me guess you are TsugumixJin shipper, maybe? And since it didn't had the couple you ship you decided to call it a filler?

Other than that I cannot see why would you call this episode a filler.
I suspect that exposition of character mood may be an advanced topic

@Master Chibi: the anime really does suffer from the episode count. There's really little time to shift gears --- this is probably one of those series I'll always wish had gotten 2-cour to work with.
Old 2008-12-25, 02:52   Link #27
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
Nah, he's right, the anime looked like it had ditched the story completely, and honestly it was doing fine without it, but the sudden change back to taking things seriously is a bit jarring if you're used to the comedic antics of the past several weeks.

;p
Mind telling me what the story was? As in, in those few episodes before this one?

And thats the problem..The anime follows the manga so closely that it also gets lost what it's purpose is - funny or serious things...and such random switches should not surprise you if you read the original manga...
Old 2008-12-25, 04:58   Link #28
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Anyone would have realize this impasse and crux of relationship will have to be addressed sooner or later. Continuing status quo without any attempt to resolve will not do justice to character(s) like Nagi or Jin. The relationship prior to ep 11 is just not natural despite mutual consent from both parties and it will simply crack under the strain of normal human expectations.

Jin and Nagi deserve better treatment than absurd cohabiting confused couple to be laughed at.

Cheers.
Old 2008-12-25, 05:05   Link #29
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Quote:
Mind telling me what the story was? As in, in those few episodes before this one?

And thats the problem..The anime follows the manga so closely that it also gets lost what it's purpose is - funny or serious things...and such random switches should not surprise you if you read the original manga...
Stormy nailed on the head, but it's more or less the real nature of their relationship.

I mean they did a few little bug hunts here or there, and they had the scene at the implication that he knew Nagi from meeting her in his childhood, but they don't touch on that, and they barely address her 'status'.
;p

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Old 2008-12-25, 09:25   Link #30
hai_san

Average "nothing happened" EP, this ep is solely for preparation for next EP.
Old 2008-12-25, 11:33   Link #31
Liddo-kun
is this so?

I like the serious mood of this episode... but the attempt at comic relief by the club members near the end ruined the dramatic mood for me. I wonder where this anime is headed, even on a serious second to the last episode there's comedy.
Old 2008-12-25, 12:13   Link #32
Falkor

I guess that the original meaning of "filler" has been lost and now serves the purpose of indicating anything ranging from uninteresting/boring to something-I-did-not-like...

wasn't it used for almost every single episode where comedy took the spotlight, even if the intentions were simply to make you laugh? it worked wonderfully as a comedy; the transition to drama may have been harsh and rough on the edges, but the execution so far has been great and at least interesting--more or so in the character-development department. Not every show has to advance the plot or move into more serious drama in order to fulfil "the needs" of the audience.

As far as this episode goes, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed the little boost in animation quality--if that's really a hint of what should be expected for the next episode. However, I'm still a little concerned about the story/plot: rather than seeing some form of resolution starting to develop, we were treated to more questions that don't seem to be related to Nagi's whereabouts.

* a lot of mysteries regarding Kannagi's shrine.
* Jin's visit to the shrine guardians and the information he gained as result. I wonder how this information will be play out in the end...
* Zange's signs of having no idea of why she was doing whatever she was doing--just like Nagi.
* still no clue of where Nagi might be.
* Jin's comment towards the end regarding the existence of... Nagi.

would all these little details fit into the next episode, I mean, can a satisfying conclusion be possibly reached taking into account all the questions that have been so far raised? I don't want to be disappointed, but I can't shake the feeling that some things are going to remain unresolved...

me raises hand at the Tsugumi X Jin's shipping comment, but seriously speaking, this is the last place I would be looking for shipping--it doesn't really fit with the mood/atmosphere of the show.
Old 2008-12-25, 17:01   Link #33
Solafighter
Hige

Great episode. Poor Jin...

Very looking forward to the next and final episode.

Mmmh, does someone know, what "dere" is?

I mean the title for the 13th episode.
Old 2008-12-25, 20:15   Link #34
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Wow, opinions all over the map on this one. While 11 felt pretty WTF to me, this serious ep clicked - the reason for the somber tone was understandable for anyone with some empathy, and written all over Jin's face. It really amounted to a reflection on the differences in his life before Nagi came into it - and with apologies to Tsugumi fans, it's clear where Jin's heart lies. Loved it, just worried about all the loose ends to be tied up in the next episode. Second season, perhaps?
Old 2008-12-25, 21:38   Link #35
ZerOne01
Inactive Fansubber
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to ZerOne01 Send a message via Yahoo to ZerOne01
Excluded OP and ED..Nagi only appear in 1 or 2 seconds only..
but the episode is great..and I think final episode must be sad ending.. T.T
Old 2008-12-26, 07:15   Link #36
Itlandm
Porcupine

To those who are surprised by the drama in a comedy series: Welcome to the wonderful world of anime! I hope you enjoy your first romantic comedy, because they are nearly all like this: Hints of a plot, then lots and lots of character-centered comedy, a short but intense drama, and finally a resolution or reset.

This particular episode gave me some heavy flashbacks to Final Approach, so I would not be surprised if we see a similar ending. There isn't time to pull a Pita Ten, I'm afraid, although I believed it for a moment when Jin started to wonder if Nagi had even been there. Most likely we'll get some kind of reset though, to open for a possible future Kannagi 2. (Since there is still some unused manga and may be much more if the mangaka recovers.)

I think the high production quality really came in handy to convey the depth of emotion in this episode. Even though very little was said, especially in the second half, and the little that was said was mostly very ordinary, I could still sense the growing despair as Jin realized that he may have lost someone he loved without knowing it. And it is all his fault.
Old 2008-12-26, 11:59   Link #37
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itlandm View Post
To those who are surprised by the drama in a comedy series: Welcome to the wonderful world of anime! I hope you enjoy your first romantic comedy, because they are nearly all like this: Hints of a plot, then lots and lots of character-centered comedy, a short but intense drama, and finally a resolution or reset.

This particular episode gave me some heavy flashbacks to Final Approach, so I would not be surprised if we see a similar ending. There isn't time to pull a Pita Ten, I'm afraid, although I believed it for a moment when Jin started to wonder if Nagi had even been there. Most likely we'll get some kind of reset though, to open for a possible future Kannagi 2. (Since there is still some unused manga and may be much more if the mangaka recovers.)

I think the high production quality really came in handy to convey the depth of emotion in this episode. Even though very little was said, especially in the second half, and the little that was said was mostly very ordinary, I could still sense the growing despair as Jin realized that he may have lost someone he loved without knowing it. And it is all his fault.
It's tempting to compare "Pure Pure Boy" Jin and the hero from 2008's other great short series and his rhyming partner, "Good Boy" Shin from True Tears, and to compare the two series. There are some obvious and huge differences - while Shin always tried to fit into his assigned roles in life and "do things properly" Jin is and seems to have always been something of a misfit. And we're talking about a true romantic comedy in TT versus something quite different here, a bit of a genre-bending, edgier show that's as self-referential as TT was earnest. But the one thing that really jumps out as a similarity is that the best place to see what's happening in the series is to read the male lead's faces. As was Shin, Jin is a completely transparent tableau of raw emotion - anger, sadness, frustration, envy, even horniness - it's all there and he can't hide any of it. As the orbit around which the insanity of everyone else in this series revolves it's fascinating to watch - especially as well designed and animated as there characters are - and never more so than in episode 12.

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2008-12-26 at 21:35.
Old 2008-12-26, 12:19   Link #38
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Well I think Zange performed a seriously moe Xellos' "Sore Wa Hi-Mit-Su desu!".
Old 2008-12-26, 20:19   Link #39
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

I'm just wondering how they're going to wrap up everything in one episode. The conflict with Nagi is probably one of the few things that have to be wrapped up concerning Nagi, but the other characters have a few as well.
My memory is fuzzy, so I don't remember everything, but along with what Falkor mentioned, there's also the question of what Jin wanted to tell Tsugumi [What he mentioned when he first met Zange.] and just generally what happened with Zange and Hakua; I'm going to be disappointed if there's no reason that Zange is in Hakua's body, since it seems that Hakua has a small amount of control over her body and Zange considering Hakua's opinion suggests that Hakua doesn't have a huge problem with Zange in her body.

One episode left....
Old 2008-12-27, 05:25   Link #40
musouka

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
there's also the question of what Jin wanted to tell Tsugumi [What he mentioned when he first met Zange.]
That's already been resolved. He wanted to apologize for what he put her though in Jr. High, and did so a few eps back. Remember, Zange is a confessional, not a dating service.
ずっと変りはしない
Closed Thread