AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

View Poll Results: Umineko no Naku Koro ni - Episode 23 Rating
Perfect 10 29 23.58%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 26 21.14%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 28 22.76%
7 out of 10 : Good 20 16.26%
6 out of 10 : Average 10 8.13%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 3.25%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.81%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 5 4.07%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-12-03, 18:54   Link #41
Evy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chishio no Hana View Post
Aw, no purple Seista mentioned (I forgot her name... I know it has 5 in it somewhere)
Siesta 556.
Old 2009-12-03, 19:23   Link #42
lovelysan
Umineko and Mabinogi fan~

Yeaaaaaaah. I'm thinking this is the last episode thread I'm going to read here. Unless my masochistic side hits me again. (whiiiich, it probably will.)

I frikin' loved this episode. Though, granted, the George fight scene was something I've been GREATLY looking forward to ever since his anime design showed up. (Me: YEEE!!! THATS PERFECT FOR THE FIGHT SCENE !!!" )

So uh, yeah, George was goddamned cool. Also, I thought the new music that played during George's scene was great .

Also, Yeah, not having Virgilia's silly scenes is a shame, but honestly, there really isn't a lot of time for them.

In conclusion.... WOO! GEORGE !
Old 2009-12-03, 19:25   Link #43
lovelysan
Umineko and Mabinogi fan~

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanonTheFurniture View Post
I never understood this either, though the VN makes it a lot less clear. I know people had speculated that it was Sakutaro for a while and I was always like 'what? What implies that it would be, and why would he be at the boat place?' because it was really vague and she could have seen anything (or an illusion). The Anime kinda showed something, but I still don't get 'OMG SAKUTARO' when I see it...

Am I missing something?
You don't have enough elitist rage. Listen to the Umineko soundtrack for a few hours, play some Touhou on lunatic, and then watch the episode again. ... In slow motion. ....... while drinking.
Old 2009-12-03, 19:58   Link #44
June 1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by suiryoku View Post
This was just a filler episode[/spoiler]
How exactly does this episode qualify as "filler"? I think people overuse that word. It doesn't mean "an episode I think is weak or I don't like". It means "an episode full of information that isn't relevant to the plot and is just made to fill up space". If you think this episode is full of filler and isn't relevant to the plot well then ... sorry, but you aren't really paying attention to the storyline. Regardless of whether it was directed well or not (I haven't seen it yet), let me assure you that there's lots of stuff in this episode which is vital to the plot. AKA, not filler at all.
Old 2009-12-03, 20:08   Link #45
MarthX

Yeah. Calling this episode filler is silly. The stuff about the letters and the significance behind the number in EP3 is very important.
Old 2009-12-03, 20:11   Link #46
maximilianjenus
[E]

I find george's attitude and fight with gaap to be a very important clue, adding to that the fact that shannon survived the first twilight.
Old 2009-12-03, 21:03   Link #47
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

This was quite a change from what Umineko usually gives us, less problem solving and more ass kicking. xD

So correct me if I'm wrong, but that number earlier what was written on the door in Rokkenjima was the code to a bank vault?

And why was Ange so shocked about that bag she saw in the boathouse? If it's revealed later then don't bother saying anything.

Despite how fanservice-y just Gaap's presence is, she still manages to be a respectable character. I expected her to be way more cocky in attitude than she's showing.

So George is trained in martial arts, but considering Jessica is using knuckledusters that must mean she's trained in boxing or kickboxing?
Old 2009-12-03, 21:12   Link #48
Marion
The Great Dine

Yes - in episode 17 of the show the number on the door to the parlor room is 07151129 and in this episode it's the same exact numbers. So those numbers were the code to a bank vault. If you look back on that episode Eva was actually copying down the numbers on the door, so she probably didn't even know about this entire "Beatrice sending letters" scheme.

Jessica is trained in boxing from the looks of it.
Old 2009-12-03, 22:38   Link #49
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

This episode felt... odd. Magic running rampant, and George/Jessica taking it completely in stride.

Badass George was pretty nice. Though the bits were George and Jessica both talked as if they were already head felt a little lame.

Well. Um... that was kinda pointless.

Suddenly, kung fu fighting! Everywhere!

Hax!

By comparison, his counterpart, Jessica, was... terribly lame.

George's twist: "Sure, I'll kill everyone else... but you first. Oh, and I know kung fu and badass expressions."
Jessica's twist: "I... I'm in love, so I'm going disregard what I just said and punch you in the face."

George's attack: kung fu
Jessica's attack: punching a wall

George's opponent: Uses gaps (though lamely), tries to kick his ass, summons goats to kick his ass.
Jessica's opponent: Just stands there with a magic shield.

George's magic-of-determination: I proclaim that you take real damage in proportion to your attacks.
Jessica's magic-of-determination: +5 piercing damage; I'm eventually going to punch though your shield so we don't have to spend a whole episode standing in place.

As cool as George was, they're both clearly going down anyway next episode. "Magic" can't leave any witnesses, after all. George's will be lame after this winning streak; Jessica's will not, because Ronove hasn't lost his cool or tried attacking yet.
Old 2009-12-03, 22:39   Link #50
Goat-Kun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERMtP...eature=channel

Yay for the Siesta's finally getting a preview, and a mention of 556 while they're at it!

Spoiler for Preview:

Last edited by Goat-Kun; 2009-12-03 at 22:54. Reason: Checked the game, again. o3o
Old 2009-12-03, 22:40   Link #51
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

Gaap's gap wasn't really pointless. George was already ready to take her down, by making him fall into a hole he became more vulnerable and easy to hit.

Old 2009-12-03, 22:52   Link #52
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maho Momo View Post
Gaap's gap wasn't really pointless. George was already ready to take her down, by making him fall into a hole he became more vulnerable and easy to hit.
Send him somewhere else then! Higher in the air, something! "Fall into the abyss" indeed. Lame use of gaps is lame. And I still think she might as well have just kicked him to begin with.
Old 2009-12-03, 22:54   Link #53
MarthX

She can't send him somewhere else because magic and her portal powers don't exist.
Old 2009-12-03, 22:54   Link #54
ZGMF-X10A
Tsukiyomi -Moon Phase-

Send a message via MSN to ZGMF-X10A
wow this is different for a change. I thought there were going to be some deaths in this episode. Pretty cool how Jessica and George are fighting back.
Old 2009-12-03, 22:56   Link #55
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post
Send him somewhere else then! Higher in the air, something! "Fall into the abyss" indeed. Lame use of gaps is lame. And I still think she might as well have just kicked him to begin with.
Like I already said, he was ready to take her down... so he could've blocked her or found some way to dodge the attack if she didn't do something to surprise him first. ^^;

Also... what MarthX said.

Old 2009-12-03, 22:58   Link #56
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
Like I already said, he was ready to take her down... so he could've blocked her or found some way to dodge the attack if she didn't do something to surprise him first. ^^;
And I'm disagreeing that that was necessary.

Quote:
Also... what MarthX said.
Why it was a lame use doesn't change the fact that it was a lame use.
Old 2009-12-03, 23:00   Link #57
momobunny
◔ ◡ ◔
*Artist

Quote:
And I'm disagreeing that that was necessary.
Good for you.

Quote:
Why it was a lame use doesn't change the fact that it was a lame use.
And why your argument is void doesn't change the fact that is is void. O.o

Old 2009-12-03, 23:11   Link #58
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Well Ange's scenes went by really fast, and I was quite surprised that they decided to definitely show what that thing Ange saw was, which had been eluding VN players for months.

And so George and Jessica crowning moments of awesome begins. The animation did look like it got kicked up a few notches at the last half of the episode, which I hope doesn't mean it'll sacrifice the rest of the final 3 episodes since... well I won't get into that.

Acceptable overall.
Old 2009-12-03, 23:58   Link #59
Arbane the Terrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
So glad I write up my comments before coming in here. The negativity here never ceases to amaze. Overall I enjoyed it.
NEEEERRRD RAAAAGEEE!

Quote:
Okay this is weird as heck. Letters being sent out to relatives of those who died leading to cases full of money. Were the relatives that died involved in this and getting paid for their services even though they would have to die as well? Or maybe the person doing it feeling guilty for what they were about to do and wanted to compensate their families at least. Though I'd lean more toward the first one.
That _is_ really strange, isn't it? It suggests that either:

Kumasawa and Nanjo were in on (at least one of) the murder plot, and this was their pay-off, OR

Whoever was behind it all wanted to compensate the families of those involved.

Either way, it's a big hint at a mundane solution, not Beatrice (or Goldsmith)'s doing.

Quote:
Wonder about that riddle though. Might actually hint at a way out of this. Something incredibly difficult to achieve but great rewards if achieved. Of course even really hard odds are possible with Bernkastel around. Small wish, but it'd be nice if it had something to do with things going better for Ange.
Any Japanese-speakers know if "quadrillion" lends itself to any puns/alternate meanings in Japanese?

Quote:
Plus wait a sec, was that Sakutaro in that sack?
It sure looked like it to me. What is he doing there, 12-odd years and a significant distance from Rosa's trash-can?

Quote:
Anyways have to give George credit, a lot cooler than I ever thought he was. Went with a decision that initially would make you want to drop him into a volcano but uses it to decide he's taking down the enemies.
Yep. A surprisingly ruthless choice, but a very awesome moment for him. Also pretty scary, considering how easy-going he seems to be most of the time.

Quote:
Not bad for Jessica though. Throwing some solid punches there .
If she had a drill, that fight would be over by now.
Old 2009-12-04, 00:09   Link #60
ChibiBear
Aim's Stalker ^_~

Send a message via MSN to ChibiBear
What did Ange see in the shop? I'm blind