AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-02-28, 17:57   Link #21
ultrataro

If it's going to set in the US with US characters, just leave it for the US comics, I think if there's going to be a Japanese version, have it in Japan. Of course, I'm not in anyway a purist or big fan of Witchblade, only thing I saw of it was the live action TV series, which I thought was pretty good. But the idea of the Witchblade thing lends itself to moving somewhere else & finding a character in another place.
ultrataro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-28, 18:03   Link #22
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido
Witchblade, from American comic book to GONZO production
I get that you're excited about this, but the news is a year and a half old. Please take the trouble to search before posting a new thread because it is really very hard to be the first one to post about something. And I really don't like having to merge threads constantly.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-01, 12:02   Link #23
eggplant
Eggplant

I just saw episode one of Witchblade today at the Gonzo Festa, and it certainly exceeded my expectations.

This is without any pior knowledge of the original American comic, therefore I neither have a sterotypical image of the anime, nor a basis for comparison. However, I believe that this can be enjoyed just as it is.

Spoiler for episode one:

At first, I wasn't much keen on following this title, but to me, it has better pacing than from what I've seen of Ergo Proxy so far, where it has good potential to satisfy action craving fans.

For a report of the Gonzo Festa, including important information on Black Cat please visit this site.

Yuri de yuri de yuriyuri ne!--Tsunomoto Rein

Last edited by eggplant; 2006-04-21 at 09:26.
eggplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-01, 12:14   Link #24
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

I enjoyed your report, thanks for posting. Witchblade sounds better than expected and I'm sorta glad they're not watering down the content but what intrigues me most is ...

Spoiler:

BTW are you guys picking up Witchblade?

Offtopic but... did you see anything of Mardock Scramble? Any thoughts to share?
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-01, 12:29   Link #25
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
I might watch Witchblade because I read several volumes of the original comic, which was good.

But I am not really looking forward to it. If it's good, I'll watch it, if it isn't, then no hard feelings either.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-01, 15:05   Link #26
Bloodseeker

Gonzo? Hey, that's the nickname of the guy that cowered away everytime my threw a punch at him while they were boxing!
Bloodseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-05, 14:45   Link #27
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

I finally found a trailer here or on Youtube. Looks dark, violent and sexy.

There's also an interview with the two main seiyuus Akemi Kanda and Mamiko Noto (which I didn't understand), but there's a glimpse of some of the art in it.

I guess the first episode will be out shortly. Based on that trailer, I'm suddenly looking forward to it.

Last edited by Sonhex; 2006-04-05 at 15:29.
Old 2006-04-05, 15:16   Link #28
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Hmm, looks pretty goods.

Somehow this show reminds me of "Devilman Lady meets Speed Grapher", but with much better animation. 8)
Old 2006-04-05, 19:07   Link #29
7Th
Mixtape

Hey, the lack of CGI looks great for a Gonzo anime.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-05, 21:06   Link #30
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

The anime will air Thursdays at 25:45 hrs, equivalent to Fridays at 01:45 a.m.

Waiting for another 12 hours.

Episode one has not aired yet in Japan.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-06, 12:19   Link #31
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Well, this show turned out pretty fanservice-tastic.

The loli looks like she stepped off the production sheets for Ichigo Mashimaro, which is pretty funny, since we have Mamiko Noto voicing the loli's busty mom.

All in all, it's an above average show with pretty good production values and a promising plot. But it isn't a series you have to watch absolutely, either.

Animation seems to be fluid and dynamic, sakuga quality slips in several shots, but it consistently good otherwise. It's nuanced and detailed in its attention to small things. The dog's adorable (too bad it was a cameo). 8)

As for the plot, it's nothing to write home about and nothing like the original comic, but there are characters that look similar (besides the Witchblade herself). I wonder if we'll have a version of Ian Nottingham?

I think I'll keep watching it for a while. Maybe it'll become deeper than "Big-boobed woman and her loli kid fight it out against an evil monster-producing corporation" plot that's been done to death a million times before.
Old 2006-04-06, 14:14   Link #32
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Witchblade isn't a show to watch if you don't like a)big boobs and b) lots of them. Needless to say Witchblade will be my guilty pleasure for this season.

But seriously I did think the first episode was pretty damn good. Although there was no real plot to speak of the main characters are likeable and the future post-earthquake setting in kind of intriguing. There were some flaws in logic (concerned mothers do not ram the cars in which their children are travelling, people involved in RTA's go to hospital not jail etc...) and some cliches (Masane is the clumsy ditzy type, she cannot remember her past before the earthquake) but overall I found it pretty engrossing. Hopefully this will get subbed soon so I can enjoy it properly.

The animation (bar one or two drops in quality) was superb, especially the main characters which benefited from some very smooth and crisp animation. Masane's costume (or lack of it) really has to be seen to be believed. The fanservice, as MrProphet mentioned, is pretty heavy and maybe Gonzo have overdone it with the size of Masane's chest. My only real criticism though is that Witchblade itself seems more industrial than organic, and the same goes for the bad guy in the first ep. He seemed to turn into some sort of industrial machinery. That may have been in the comic though. I didn't follow the whole series.

Clearly Gonzo have put some effort into this show; maybe they know it'll probably do very well stateside, but probably not with the comic fanbase. So far beside the title and basic concept it seems to bare little resemblance to it's printed counterpart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
As for the plot, it's nothing to write home about and nothing like the original comic, but there are characters that look similar (besides the Witchblade herself). I wonder if we'll have a version of Ian Nottingham?
I hope the Darkness makes an appearance...
Old 2006-04-06, 14:19   Link #33
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Works for me. My heart was racing. Not particularly unique, but the characters worked, especially Mamiko Noto, expanding her range beautifully. If it descends into monster-of-the-week, I'll be gone, but I'm on it for now.
Spoiler:
Another tough-but-good-hearted Gonzo photographer, like in Speed Grapher. I stuck with that show, whereas I dropped Solty Rei after a few eps.

Rihoko petting the dog's nose was great. Kanda Akemi (Miharu in the Da Capos, Asuna in Negima, Tokino in Kujibiki Unbalance) was good as Rihoko. The BGM worked, too.

What's wrong with me, doctor? I didn't notice the fanservice at all.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-06, 21:34   Link #34
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Here's a quick collage of screen caps for those that might be curious:

Also, Cinnamon Ass has a write up on the first Ep.

From an animation stand point, this will be a guilty pleasure for me if it's subbed. Typical of today's GONZO productions, the lines are clean, the violence is all rather too quick (yet effective for me) and the blood plentiful (and the boobs). Again though, the problems with GONZO animations are the day shots. Too bold and too contrast-tea for my tastes. They have night shots nailed.

Also, GONZO needs to stop giving the car animation to the interns. Not as stiff as the cars in Speed Grapher, but…

Last edited by Catgirls; 2006-04-06 at 21:45.
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-07, 08:25   Link #35
DaFool
Resident devil

It's okay, watchable, but not immersive.

Even though I have only caught glimpses of the Witchblade comic and live-action TV series I could tell that this is one really japanized adaptation.

They could have done better with an adaptation by manglobe or the guy who did Witch Hunter Robin, because though the makers of Ergo Proxy lack in producing pace, they do excel in creating a gothic western atmosphere, which is crucial for shows like this.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-10, 13:28   Link #36
Rebask

any body know who is subbing this? or is it licensed? or did i miss something?
Rebask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-10, 13:47   Link #37
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebask
any body know who is subbing this? or is it licensed? or did i miss something?
Conclave (according to AndrewLB's wiki). It's not licensed. But it will be soon (probably by Bandai)...
Old 2006-04-10, 16:28   Link #38
Rebask

really? i went to their site, nothing about it there, and nothing in their forums either. im trying to ask on their irc channal for conformation, but nobodys home.
Rebask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 05:05   Link #39
willem113
I wanna go peeping ^^

Send a message via MSN to willem113
i followed the tv serie for bit it wasnt bad but i hope they dont the usual 15 min talking 5 min fighting stuff i hate when that happens.
willem113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 12:16   Link #40
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

WitchBlade air date: Wednesdays 25:45 hrs --> Thursdays 01:45 a.m.

On-Topic
Episode two already aired in Japan
Spoiler:

Wondering
Spoiler:

Masane's data profile reveals that she's 23-years-old, and she's one bad mother when transformed.

Last edited by Guido; 2006-07-25 at 16:33.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote